PDA

View Full Version : Tiktik: The Aswang Chronicles

Ian Jane
06-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Twitch has got the skinny (http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/06/a-family-beseiged-by-monsters-in-ultra-stylish-teaser-for-erik-mattis-tiktik-the-aswang-chronicles.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TwitchEverything+(Twitch%3A+E verything)) on this Filipino movie coming out soon. Dig the trailer.

"What if monsters live among us? And what if you were to make a clan of them very, very angry? And what if the particular type of monster you angered had a particular fondness for eating babies and your fiance was very pregnant indeed? Welcome to the world of Erik Matti's Tiktik: The Aswang Chronicles.

Playing on the folklore surrounding the aswang - a type of Filipino creature somewhat similar to a vampire - veteran genre director Matti (Exodus, Gagamboy) is trying something new here: a special effects driven picture blending horror, action and comedy shot entirely on green screen. Yes, digital backlot films have been accomplished before but never inn the Philippines and Matti established his own digital effects company and totally unique work flow to pull this off. And the results are fantastic."

Looks and sounds pretty interesting. Kind of a neat (and unrelated) follow up maybe to that Aswang movie that Mondo Macabro put out years back? There are some pretty awesome aspects of Filipino folklore that are pretty ripe for horror movies and such. The whole idea of an Aswang is weird (get yourself some wikipedia here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aswang)), kind of a vampire but not completely a vampire.

Keeping this on my radar. I think I'd prefer it not use digital backlots as the Twitch article says, but that doesn't mean they won't be able to do some interesting things here if they've got the right creative people involved and don't just rely on computer effects and what not.

Awesome poster art too...

Randy G
06-30-2012, 04:48 AM
Very nice poster, it they bring that kind of invention to the visuals of the film it could work in a Guy Maddin kind of way with the green screen.