PDA

View Full Version : The Franchise That Will Not Die - Wrong Turn!

Ian Jane
07-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Bloody Disgusting (http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3151276/first-wrong-turn-5-bloodbath-art-gets-buried-neck-high/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter) just posted this promo art for the upcoming Wrong Turn 5: Bloodbath and you know what? I'm gonna check this out. I don't care that they're corny, I don't care that they're formulaic and I don't care that they're, well, dumb. I've enjoyed this series since it started and as long as they keep churning out sequels that entertain me, I'll keep watching them.

The first one was a fun throwback to backwoods slashers, but the second one was even better, a really seriously demented splatter movie. The third one was the weakest of the series so far, and the last one had a cool old abandoned hospital for the setting, loads of nudity, some lesbians, massive amounts of gore and some twisted black humor.

Declan O'Brien, who did parts 3 and 4, is behind this new one and apparantly Doug Bradley has a role in it.

“In the next chilling chapter of ‘Wrong Turn,’ a small West Virginia town is hosting the legendary Mountain Man Festival on Halloween, where throngs of costumed partygoers gather for a wild night of music and mischief. But an inbred family of hillbilly cannibals kill all the fun when they trick and treat themselves to a group of visiting college students who are dying for a good time.”

Andrew Monroe
07-02-2012, 12:11 PM
I really like the first one, I'm a huge fan of backwoods slashers so I thought it did everything just right. No humor and plenty of gore. The second one was okay imo but pales in comparison to the first. I have yet to see the next two. Sounds like 4 is worth seeing from what you say, Ian. Never heard one good word about the 3rd film.

Ian Jane
07-02-2012, 12:25 PM
You can safely skip the third, it won't affect your enjoyment of the fourth really.

Andrew Monroe
07-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Another thing in the first one's favor is the cast - they're pretty much stereotypes but the actors are solid enough to make an impression anyway (that guy from MAY is particularly good). And Eliza Dushku in a wifebeater never ever hurts.

Ian Jane
07-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Which they weren't afraid to exploit on the poster...

Gary Banks
07-02-2012, 08:57 PM
I thought #2 was the best of the bunch and actually didn't mind #3. I thought the 4th one sucked dick on horseback at full gallop. Curious about this new one.

sukebanboy
07-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Not seen any of this series for some reason......Maybe I will have to remedy that after hearing suchj praise here...

Alex K.
07-02-2012, 09:54 PM
I thought the Resident Evil series was the franchise that didn't die?

Part 2 was the best. Henry Rollins is the fucking shit.

Tom K
07-03-2012, 09:24 AM
I thought the Resident Evil series was the franchise that didn't die?

Or the Final Destination flicks, which for some reason, I have enjoyed all of the ones I have seen...

I liked Wrong Turn...just never got around to the sequels...I'm not against them, just haven't gotten the opportunity to scope them out yet...

Andrew Monroe
07-03-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm kind of surprised there's not more love for the first one. The second film has more gore but I think it's not nearly as well done or compelling as the first - and I have to say I despise reality shows so the basic concept isn't very appealing to me. I also don't much care for Henry Rollins as an actor, he's pretty much one note imo and his presence throws me out of the movie.

Ian Jane
07-03-2012, 10:01 AM
I got a kick out of him in Feast where he was running around in pink track pants.

Andrew Monroe
07-05-2012, 01:47 PM
I saw WRONG TURN 3 and 4 today for 5 bucks each and I said dayum, inbred cannibal hillbilly sequels at 5 bones?!? GIMME!! Haha, I have some good late nite watching for the weekend. Looking foward to 4 in particular.

Ian Jane
07-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Definitely post your thoughts once you get to them!

Andrew Monroe
07-05-2012, 02:13 PM
I will!

Andrew Monroe
07-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Watched 4 first, it wasn't bad. It's okay for a DTV sequel, lots and lots of gore and that black humor Ian mentioned. My buddy Gary gives it thumbs down but it worked well enough for me on that level, though it doesn't hold a candle to the first one. I did like the setting and the snowy isolation. Some horrible CG blood in one part though...ugh. Overall worth a watch I'd say.

Ian Jane
07-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Glad you had fun with it. The location plays a big part in making it work for me. I'm a sucker for creepy hospitals and stuff.

Gary Banks
07-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Watched 4 first, it wasn't bad. It's okay for a DTV sequel, lots and lots of gore and that black humor Ian mentioned. My buddy Gary gives it thumbs down but it worked well enough for me on that level, though it doesn't hold a candle to the first one. I did like the setting and the snowy isolation. Some horrible CG blood in one part though...ugh. Overall worth a watch I'd say.

I'll be interested in how WT3 Left For Dead hits you. Without giving anything away it was doing great and then a dumb ass script move/change took me right out of it. Still like it better than 4 but it could have been a lot better.

Andrew Monroe
07-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Watched 3, meh, I think this is the weakest entry. The Hispanic con got on my nerves with his constant screaming "come on motherfucker I'll kill you with my bare hands!!!" And Three Fingers' makeup looked very cheap, it looked like a mask in a lot of shots. Only having him and not more ICH (inbred cannibal hillbillies) was kinda a drag too. The one weak sister who got his head lopped off doesn't count. Too many endings too.

Gary Banks
07-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Yeah the last ending negated the last half of the movie and pissed me off.

Ian Jane
08-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Specs and cover art courtesy of Fangoria for the upcoming release of Wrong Turn 5.

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment releases WRONG TURN 5: BLOODLINES unrated on DVD, Blu-ray and digital copy October 23. Once again written and directed by series regular Declan O’Brien, this installment is set in a small mining town in the midst of celebrating their Mountain Festival, where the costumed partiers (and, of course, some visiting college students) become the prey of the cannibal brood, with HELLRAISER veteran Bradley in the role of “Maynard.” The movie will be presented in 1.78:1 widescreen with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound on the DVD and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio on the Blu-ray, plus the following special features:

•Audio commentary by O’Brien
•Director’s Die-aries
•“A Day in the Death” featurette
•”Hillbilly Kills” featurette

Ian Jane
09-21-2012, 02:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew2PcEml2SE

Andrew Monroe
10-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Rented WRONG TURN 5...it's pretty good. You know what this is? I haven't looked around to see if any reviewers have picked up on it but they cribbed the plot from the Howard Hawks/John Wayne film RIO BRAVO hahahaha! Doug Bradley (sounding very un-West Virginian) is the relative in a small town jail that the inbreds are trying to bust out. There's even an old drunk who helps the woman cop with the Fordian name of Mose. Some good gore and a fast pace. I'd actually say this is my favorite of all the sequels. The downtown set has a very backlot look to it and there are some decidely non-local accents but it's got a nice and nasty vibe including a mean-spirited ending. Worth a look.

Ian Jane
03-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Wrong Turn 6 is in production now. (http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3283100/exclusive-first-look-at-the-wrong-turn-6-set/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=exclusive-first-look-at-the-wrong-turn-6-set)

Ian Jane
10-02-2014, 08:58 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91mpWigNOZL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2jV-JSU8Yo

Travis Sheldon
10-02-2014, 09:30 AM
I'll buy a Wrong Turn Blu-Ray box set from Echo Bridge.
Make it happen.

Ian Jane
05-28-2015, 01:49 PM
So it looks like this is happening...

http://brokehorrorfan.com/post/120115838110/according-to-a-facebook-page-that-popped-up