PDA

View Full Version : House Of Psychotic Women - new FAB Press book

Andrew Monroe
07-16-2012, 12:32 PM
I've been aware this was coming for some time but I just got an email with more details:

House of Psychotic Women is an autobiographical exploration of female neurosis in horror and
exploitation films. Anecdotes and memories interweave with film history, criticism, trivia and confrontational imagery to create a reflective personal history and examination of female madness, both onscreen and off. Kier-La Janisse's book receives its official book-launch on Sunday 22 July at the Fantasia film festival, with a screening of British horror film FULL CIRCLE (aka The Haunting of Julia). Subsequent screenings in the House of Psychotic Women retro series are Christiane F., Possession and Dr. Jekyll et les femmes, and anyone who knows these films will immediately get a feeling for the scope of this book.

This sharply-designed book with a 32-page full-colour section is packed with rare stills, posters, pressbooks and artwork that combine with family photos and artifacts to form a titillating sensory overload, with a filmography that traverses the acclaimed and the obscure in equal measure. Films covered include The Entity, The Corruption of Chris Miller, Singapore Sling, 3 Women, Toys Are Not for Children, Repulsion, Let's Scare Jessica to Death, Secret Ceremony, Cutting Moments, Out of the Blue, Mademoiselle, The Piano Teacher, Possession, Antichrist and hundreds more!

Accolades and endorsements for this remarkable and gut-wrenching book are already coming in from people who have been granted access to the book's pre-publication galleys. Acclaimed animator Ralph Bakshi said Kier-La's text speaks 'the truth in the most deadly unique way I've ever read', best-selling author Iain Banks has described it as an 'extraordinary' work, and Fantasia's Mitch Davis simply used the word 'phenomenal'.

This could be too dry and scholarly for my taste but I've read Kier-La Janisse's short book on Luciano Rossi and loved that, as well as some articles she's done in Rue Morgue and elsewhere. Plus, she's covering some great films that don't get much mention - ie THE CORRUPTION OF CHRIS MILLER perhaps my favorite Spanish horror film. I think so far only the limited hardcover is out - only 250 copies. I think I'll wait for a cheaper softcover before I get this.

Ian Jane
07-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Toys Are Not for Children

Interesting to see this included. The night club scenes were shot a few blocks from our apt., though that club is now a bank.

Andrew Monroe
07-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Interesting to see this included. The night club scenes were shot a few blocks from our apt., though that club is now a bank.

Wow that's pretty cool. I was intrigued to see TOYS ARE NOT FOR CHILDREN included in the book. What a weird downbeat movie.

Ian Jane
07-16-2012, 02:50 PM
It's definitely a very, very strange film and one that I've seen more often than anyone should have to see it (coughcoughAlisonisobsessedwithitcoughcough) but it's well done in its own low budget fucked up way and it seems like it fits right in with the rest of the book.

Andrew Monroe
07-16-2012, 03:10 PM
(coughcoughAlisonisobsessedwithitcoughcough)

Haha! I really can't throw stones....ARMED RESPONSE anyone?

Ian Jane
07-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Touche!

Randy G
07-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Being a FAB book I doubt this will be too dry and it sounds like it will be more substantial than just a collection of film stills that you sometimes get with fan-oriented books. If it's half a good as Nightmare USA it will be worthwhile.

Robin Bougie
07-17-2012, 03:40 AM
Add my voice to the raves from people in the industry. Kier-la is a friend, a talented writer, and fully worthy of cult-film fans support. I supplied a few ad-mats from my collection for this book, and am really looking forward to it!

Jens Thomsen
07-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Sounds cool. As does Kier-la. I got the promotional e-mail from FAB yesterday and was considering ordering it just because of the topic. But reading here makes me definitely want to get it.

Ian Jane
07-17-2012, 01:56 PM
I dunno if anyone is going to Fantasia this year or not BUT, there this....

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3154159/fantasia-12-house-of-psychotic-women-book-launch-and-screenings/

OFFICIAL BOOK-LAUNCH AT FANTASIA FILM FESTIVAL, with a screening of FULL CIRCLE (aka The Haunting of Julia) July 22 at 3.15PM @ J.A. De Seve Theatre.

Further supporting screenings at Cinematheque Quebecoise as follows:

POSSESSION – July 22 at 8.30PM
CHRISTIANE F. – July 27 at 8.30PM DR.
JEKYLL ET LES FEMMES – July 28 at 6.30PM

Ian Jane
09-25-2012, 03:51 PM
It's out now, very favorable review here (http://www.starburstmagazine.com/reviews/book-reviews-latest-literary-releases/3526-book-review-house-of-psychotic-women).

Randy G
09-26-2012, 03:27 AM
This is already sold out on Amazon.ca but it's on my wishlist now.

Andrew Monroe
09-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Not in stock at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/House-Psychotic-Women-Autobiographical-Exploitation/dp/1903254698/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348683988&sr=1-1&keywords=house+of+psychotic+women) yet but they have it at a preorder price of 20 bucks for the softcover so I bit. Looks like a couple sellers at Amazon Marketplace do already have it.

Andrew Monroe
10-25-2012, 08:07 AM
I will be right up front and say I was skeptical about this approach - the mixing of bio and film criticism sounded pretentious and possibly dry and academic too. Boy was I wrong! I've had the book for a few days now and it's riveting stuff. Janisse references James Ellroy's My Dark Places in the text and while this is very different there are some comparisons too. It's very readable and she mostly sticks to the films but what personal stuff is there is horrifying - it took some stones to put this out. I should have known from past experience with her stuff that this would be great so serve me a heaping helping of crow. Only about a quarter into the book so far and really relishing it, many neglected films covered in this, some surprises too. The book has an appendix too, about 120 pages of straight film reviews in capsule form. Lots of photos and a color section in the middle. Big recommendation from me.

Ian Jane
10-25-2012, 09:54 AM
It's too close to Christmas for me to start buying loads of books... but this is gonna go on my wish list :)

Wally West
10-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Got this in the mail few days ago and haven't had a chance to even open it yet. I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend :biggrin:

Ian Jane
11-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Some of you might be interested in this:

http://www.92y.org/Tribeca/Film/House-of-Psychotic-Women

"Wide-eyed, blood-splattered or shrieking, the women in horror and exploitation films are almost without boundaries, giving them the freedom to work out neurosis and pain in startling ways. In her new book House of Psychotic Women, Kier-La Janisse examines these characters and relates them to her life experiences. To celebrate the book release we have invited Kier-La to select three films which will screen over two nights.

Kier-La will introduce films and have her book for sale on Friday, November 30."

The Mafu Cage
Fri, Nov 30, 2012, 7:15 pm

The Entity
Fri, Nov 30, 2012, 9:45 pm

The Witch Who Came from the Sea
Sat, Dec 1, 2012, 10 pm

Alex K.
11-27-2012, 03:23 AM
I Spit on Your Grave would've been a good choice.

Ian Jane
11-27-2012, 12:33 PM
There's a launch event happening in Boston as well where they'll be screening Marnie.

http://brattlefilm.org/2012/12/01/house-of-psychotic-women/

12/1/12 at 9:30pm at The Brattle Theater.

Randy G
11-28-2012, 12:36 AM
My copy is in the mail!

agent999
08-11-2016, 11:22 AM
Late to the party as ever, but just been reading this today. This is one hell of a book, not only does it cover a number of films which aren't the usual suspects, but the autobiographical elements are so well integrated and make it hard to put down, which I find very rare for a film related book.

Might get round to reading Nightmare USA next.

Tom Clark
08-11-2016, 05:39 PM
One of the best film-related books bar non. Not only is the concept unique and the execution brilliant, but the book does a great service to film fans even if used as just a reference guide. Obviously not every film discussed in the book is a winner but an overwhelming amount of them are and its incredible just how many films share the same themes and obsessions.

There is actually a TV show in development based on the book:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cn4ySIVWIAAyRyY.jpg:large

agent999
08-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Wonder how that's going to work? Sounds interesting.

Tom Clark
08-11-2016, 07:06 PM
Wonder how that's going to work? Sounds interesting.
Aside from it being announced at the Frontiers market not much else has been said about it. There's so many directions it could possibly take, I personally am eagerly anticipating some more news.

Randy G
08-11-2016, 09:55 PM
Absolutely brilliant book, one of the best books on bfilms, horror and exploitation I've read.

Keeth
08-12-2016, 04:36 PM
I met Kier-La once when she was working at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin. A mutual friend was in from Vancouver so I went down to meet him. I picked him up at her place then she got us into the theater for a spaghetti western & meal.

dave hartley
08-13-2016, 09:46 AM
Lol. Guess a 1971 design classic is still a design classic.

http://ist3-1.filesor.com/pimpandhost.com/1/4/9/5/149538/3/S/E/E/3SEEq/BAMNcover_s.jpg