PDA

View Full Version : my early influences and yours?

Richard--W
07-17-2012, 05:58 PM
The Twilight Zone
The Outer Limits
Star Trek and Dark Shadows
Duel and The Night Stalker movie-of-the-weeks

I've seen a lot of great television programs, including documentaries, but so far as I'm concerned nothing surpasses these ground-breaking, envelope-pushing programs. What they all have in common are brilliant ideas, literate writing, a theatrical sensibility, and technical craftsmanship (well, for Dark Shadows, maybe not so much technical craftsmanship). When these programs were new, their influence spread across the medium, and now that they're old, their influence is still being felt. Some creative works circulate and perhaps remain in circulation, others enter the consciousness of millions and grow there.

Alison Jane
07-17-2012, 06:05 PM
How old are you?

Ian Jane
07-17-2012, 07:18 PM
A lot of what I watched on TV was movie stuff rather than syndicated TV stuff and I think I was born too late to appreciate a lot of good TV however...

Hilarious House Of Frightenstein - made me love monsters at a very young age, even if it periodically freaked me out.
Batman - always thought that the Adam West show was fun, but it was in reruns when I watched it.
Twin Peaks - was a bit older than 'early' when it came out but it definitely made an impression on me.

I remember watching Dukes of Hazzard and The Hulk pretty regularily when they first came out. I don't think Dukes influenced me, Hulk sometimes scared me but it definitely left an impression. Any time Lou was on screen I was cowering.

Paul L
07-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Defining 'early' as pre-teen, I'd have to say:

Rentaghost (you might have to look that one up - it's a children's programme)
Mahabharat - I was hooked on this as a fairly young child. Strange, I know.
The Fall Guy }
The Incredible Hulk } Weekend teatime viewing, IIRC.

Monkey }
Alias Smith & Jones }
The High Chaparral }
Planet of the Apes }
Kojak }
Kung Fu }
Randall and Hopkirk: Deceased }
The Saint }
Quincy } I think these were all broadcast on weekend mornings. All were repeats.

The Twilight Zone } Late-night repeats, one of the first shows I remember staying up for.

The Sweeney }
The Professionals }
Juliet Bravo }
Miami Vice } I was given special dispensation to stay up and watch these shows with my parents.

Star Trek } Teatime repeats on the BBC

Batman

The Night Stalker } I became *obsessed* with this when it was shown on UK television in the late 1980s.
The Prisoner } Ditto

These all probably shaped my tastes in television in a very strong way.

Alison Jane
07-17-2012, 07:48 PM
How old are you?

Ian told me that sounded mean. Wasn't intentional.

Alex K.
07-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Whatever was on Nickelodeon at the time. Ren & Stimpy (HUGE influence), reruns of Get Smart, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Twilight Zone, any toyetic Saturday morning cartoon. Etc.

Barry M
07-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Get Smart (I got a girl to 99 me)
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
Friendly Giant/Mister Dressup
Rocket Ship 7/Commander Tom
The Banana Splits
Star Trek
Every single cartoon show

Movies on tv:
Pizza-sponsored all-night horror marathons (mostly AIP Cormans)
CBC ran syndicated Blondie & Tarzan packages into the ground, for which I am grateful
Rochester's Sunday afternoon Carvel Ice Cream-sponsored syndicated sf package (mainly Japanese, but I saw ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS there)
CITY-TV's Baby Blue Movie

Teen:
Second City
Wait Til Your Father Gets Home
Prisoner, on TVO (I think it was still OECA then) with Warner Troyer. I sent the learn-at-home package for the series to fan artist Brad W. Foster, who I bet appreciated it way more than I woulda.
Monty Python
M*A*S*H

Real influences? Probably the little black bug show (static) and the dying of the dot when you turn the tube off. I guess it's bad to press your eyeball to glass to watch the dot shrink, but where else was I going to glimpse the void?

Mark C.
07-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Ian told me that sounded mean. Wasn't intentional.

Well its an honest question, Im not that old and I remember Twilight Zone caus they repeated it late at night, I too was one who would stay up or set my alarm to watch them.

Newt Cox
07-17-2012, 09:21 PM
3 Stooges
Lil rascals
Munsters
Adams Family
All in the family
Sanford and son
Night court

All of them were shows that I watched almost everyday after school.

Mark C.
07-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Some others:
The old universal horrors, Dracula, Frankenstein, etc... They would air them late on american channels and I caught quite a few, they made a huge impact on me.
The movie Beyond and Back, something about life after death, can't remember much of it or if that was even the title, Freaked the living shit out of me.
When I was about 7 I saw Dracula with Frank Langella on TV , gave me nightmares and also solidified my love for horror. My mom would prevent me from watching anything horror related for years afterwards, but it was impossible.
Also Saturday Morning cartoons was a ritual that started at 6 am and ended around 2 pm, for years and years, 1978-1986 RIP!
I liked sci-fi as well Doctor who and Star trek were pretty big for me.

sukebanboy
07-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Mahabharat -
The Fall Guy }
The Incredible Hulk }

Monkey }
Alias Smith & Jones }
Planet of the Apes }
Kojak }
Kung Fu }
Randall and Hopkirk: Deceased }
The Saint }
Quincy } I think these were all broadcast on weekend mornings. All were repeats.

The Twilight Zone }

The Sweeney }
The Professionals }

Batman
The Prisoner } Ditto

I edited out the ones that dont apply to me...but thats pretty close!!!

Also add...

A TEAM
AIRWOLF
STREETHAWK
(basically, any of these kinds of shows from the time)
Laurel and Hardy/Harold Lloyd/ Buster Keaton/ etc etc..(EXCEPT 3 stooges...never really into them..)
Doctor Who

Randy G
07-18-2012, 01:38 AM
Very similar to those already mentioned:

Twilight Zone/The Outer Limits
Night Stalker TV Movie
Hammer films shown late at night

Also saw The Shining, The Thing, American Werewolf in London and Evil Dead quite young as I had older brothers and we developed a taste for horror films from late-night TV during the summer.

Andrew Monroe
07-18-2012, 08:51 AM
I think NIGHT GALLERY had a bigger impact on me than TZ, it aired more frequently at that time. The Lovecraft adaptations had a huge impact as I was discovering his books around the same time. Others would include:

THE NIGHT STALKER - sure some of the episodes were goofy looking back but at the time they mostly scared the hell out of me. This was the late night Fridays broadcasts. "Chopper" in particular freaked me out. Darren McGavin was such a likeable, charismatic actor, he really sold those stories.

Hammer Films run late night on a station out of Charlotte and later on WTBS when it replaced that station. Also, films on regional horror host shows like Ashley Ghastly's SCREAM THEATER out of Charleston - first saw BLACULA on here when I was visiting my college aged sister and it scared me like no other film had at that time. A Sunday afternoon tv horror show out of Columbia is where I saw ATOM AGE VAMPIRE for the first time, and several more times, I guess they had a limited film library to pick from. Catching stuff like THE VULTURE, CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS, THE OTHER, and many others on late night tv.

Also have to mention SCTV which I saw first run and had a big influence on my sense of humor. And DON KIRSHNER'S ROCK CONCERT, TOM SNYDER, and THE MIDNIGHT SPECIAL for the fringe musical guests.

Ian Jane
07-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Dr. Who used to serioulsy freak me out as a kid. Just the theme song would get me all weirded out.

I used to watch A-Team, Airwolf and Streethawk pretty religiously too, but I don't know that they really influenced me much. They may have been a gateway drug to my love of bad action movies I guess.

sukebanboy
07-18-2012, 10:21 AM
I used to watch A-Team, Airwolf and Streethawk pretty religiously too, but I don't know that they really influenced me much. They may have been a gateway drug to my love of bad action movies I guess.

Come on Ian...admit it.....even if only subconsciously, this stuff is a part of your DNA and made you into the man you are today!!!

Ian Jane
07-18-2012, 10:24 AM
I definitely enjoyed them and am not at all embarassed to admit that I can still have a lot of fun with those shows - but I don't think they impacted me the same way some of the other series did.

Chris Kewley
07-18-2012, 10:52 AM
As far as TV shows, The Rockford Files, Magnum PI, Simon & Simon, The A-Team, The Equalizer & of course The Muppet Show & Sesame Street
Cartoons- The Flintstones, Robotect, G-Force, Force Five, GI Joe

Barry has it right with City-TV, the blue movies were stuff of legend growing up, same goes with the Italian station (channel 4 I believe) late night boob fests.

Having Super Channel since the very early 1980's help shape my love of films

Barry M
07-18-2012, 10:58 AM
... the Italian station (channel 4 I believe) late night boob fests...

Oh yeah, CFMT! Plus they were the first to go all-night, with Chuck the Security Guard (Chas Lawther), spinning random videos.

Ian Jane
07-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Barry has it right with City-TV, the blue movies were stuff of legend growing up

It was were I saw Vampyros Lesbos for the first time as a teenager.

sukebanboy
07-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Crikey!!

How could I forget KNIGHTRIDER

Also, grew u looking for (and watching) all the movies on the VIDEO NASTIES list...and this led onto other similar obscure movies...

Barry M
07-18-2012, 11:38 AM
http://youtu.be/wT18Giv_uoI

sukebanboy
07-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Movie wise....

POLICE STORY (jackie Chan)
EVIL DEAD
ASSAULT JACK THE RIPPER

Richard--W
07-19-2012, 06:18 PM
How old are you?

Ian!
Your Mrs. is being mean to me!
Make her stop!

Why do you want to know?
Are you shopping, or do you have a lonely sister in the attic?

Seriously, I turn 55 in a few weeks.
Which probably makes me the oldest time-waster here.

Alison Jane
07-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Ian!
Your Mrs. is being mean to me!
Make her stop!

Why do you want to know?
Are you shopping, or do you have a lonely sister in the attic?

Seriously, I turn 55 in a few weeks.
Which probably makes me the oldest time-waster here.

Hahaha, sometimes I'm a bit too direct and it comes across weirdly, but I usually mean no harm. I just wondered because it sounded like you were saying you saw all those shows first time around and I was blown away by the thought of someone being older than Horace! :haha: