PDA

View Full Version : Four Flies On Grey Velvet -- the Koch Blu

Andrew Monroe
07-23-2012, 02:22 PM
I see that Diabolik has this in stock now, for a measly $42.99 (!). It's a dvd/BD combo actually. I've heard good things about this but that is a chunk of change. I have the MYA w/the crap audio as well as the German bootleg and a fandub/sub correction of the MYA that is very nice.

Andrew Monroe
07-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Actually, in reading some just now, it seems there are no english subs for the Italian track nor the parts of the film that have no english dub. I think I'll hold off for now.

Ian Jane
07-23-2012, 02:45 PM
I bought the German bootleg. Then I bought the Mya disc. Then I bought the Shameless Blu-ray.

I think three copies is enough.

But yeah, I won't lie and pretend I'm not tempted by the German release.

Andrew Monroe
07-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Then I bought the Shameless Blu-ray.

Did you have any problems with the audio glitch near the end that is supposed to be a danger to your speakers?

Ian Jane
07-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Yes, it was really fucking annoying.

Clive Smith
07-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Yes, it was really fucking annoying.

Sold.

Andrew Monroe
07-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Got an unexpected rebate check for 300 bucks from my health insurer today so I might just get the Koch BD after all, haha.

Mark C.
07-24-2012, 06:49 PM
I was tempted to buy it yesterday, I really like this film and is probably my fav Argento, plus the Ennio Morricone score is superlative.
Apparently it is the one to buy!

Andrew Monroe
07-25-2012, 08:14 AM
I like it a lot too but I think my favorite Argento film is BIRD. I do find that these two, and to a lesser extent CAT have much more replay value for me these days than his typically more popular later stuff.

Wllm Clys
07-30-2012, 06:16 AM
What kind of audio glitch is it? I'm thinking of buying the Shameless DVD. Or is it only on the BluRay?

Ian Jane
07-30-2012, 09:07 AM
It happens in the last ten minutes or so of the movie. There's a crazy long thread about it on the Cult Labs board. I don't know if it affects the DVD or not as I only have the BD. I'm on vacation right now but when I get back I can post the time and length of the bug if someone hasn't beat me to it by then.

Apronikoff
07-30-2012, 11:07 AM
It happens in the last ten minutes or so of the movie. There's a crazy long thread about it on the Cult Labs board. I don't know if it affects the DVD or not as I only have the BD. I'm on vacation right now but when I get back I can post the time and length of the bug if someone hasn't beat me to it by then.

Does anyone know if the bug affected all copies of the Shameless BD? It was only a couple of months ago that I watched my copy and I don't remember any kind of audio problems. (The only oddity I remember was the issue with the vertical line during the car crash). From everything I've heard about, seems like the kind of thing I would've noticed/remembered if it affected my copy....

Ian Jane
07-31-2012, 11:10 AM
From the Blu-ray.com review (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Four-Flies-on-Grey-Velvet-Blu-ray/26192/#Review):

Generally speaking, the English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 is very strong. In fact, its dynamic amplitude is amongst the best I've heard on a Blu-ray release of a film from the '70s. During the short rehearsal sessions, for instance, the music has excellent depth and energy. There is no strong background hiss to report in this review either. This being said, there are a couple of volume fluctuations that should have been addressed. The most problematic ones are at the end of the film, during the crash scene. For a short period of time, the sound gets surprisingly loud; there are high-frequency distortions and even a couple of dangerous sound spikes as well. Interestingly enough, the distortions are not present on the Italian DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 track. It is also worth mentioning that there are a few small portions of Italian dialog throughout the film where in addition to the volume fluctuations there are also small pops and cracks. Despite the issue described above, however, the audio treatment also represents a major upgrade in quality.

Apronikoff
07-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Ahh, thanks! I'm pretty sure I watched it with the Ialian track...so that would explain why I didn't notice ny problems...

Jake Scully
08-02-2019, 05:38 AM
Originally I had the German dvd of FFOGV
Then I bought the Mya dvd
Now I have the UK Shameless blu ray - the best one
The second best of the 'Animals trilogy'

Raf A.
08-03-2019, 03:11 AM
Originally I had the German dvd of FFOGV
Now I have the UK Shameless blu ray - the best one

The best current blu-ray release of the movie is the Koch Media release. Nothing by those shameless clowns can be considered the best one.