PDA

View Full Version : Louis Malle's BLACK MOON

Wllm Clys
08-04-2012, 03:22 AM
Recently watched this for the first time, months after having bought the Criterion DVD. I was very disappointed, as I expected some surreal masterpiece, but what I saw was pretentious nonsense. During some parts of the film, I had to try hard to stay focused (the Wagner scene!). I did see a couple of good and striking images (the first 15 minutes, the breast-feeding scene, ...) but not enough to keep me interested.

What do you think?

Richard--W
08-06-2012, 05:34 AM
Pretentious, really? I don't know. I was favorably impressed with BLACK MOON when I saw it at repertory screenings. I thought it needed more spice. Need to see it again.

Alison Jane
01-13-2019, 09:14 AM
Just found this in an Amazon search for Joe Dallesandro films. Seems artsy and fairytale-ish and weird. Some of the Amazon reviewers compare it to Alice in Wonderland in some ways. Sounds good to me!

Matt H.
01-13-2019, 11:18 AM
The first half-hour is fascinating, but it soon becomes repetitive and it gradually lost me completely.

Alison Jane
01-13-2019, 11:20 AM
Ah well, we'll see. If I hate it I'm out a gift card. Sometimes I enjoy films just for the visuals even if the storyline is non-existent nonsense.

Ian Jane
02-04-2019, 10:44 AM
It was okay. Some great visuals, but yeah, not much of a story to it. That said, if you watch the interview with Malle on the Criterion disc he at least explains what he was attempting here and after hearing him state that, I did wind up appreciating the movie a bit more. I can see the Alice In Wonderland comparisons throughout a lot of it. And I agree with Matt that the first half hour is much stronger than the rest of the film, it doesn't quite manage to capitalize on that genuinely strong first third they way that it should have. Still, glad to have seen it.

Alison Jane
02-04-2019, 11:17 AM
I am still wondering why three of the four characters were named Lily. I thought the breastfeeding scenes were gross. I liked the wandering around and exploring aspect of it as well as the other forms of communication angle he explained in the extras. I'd be interested in checking out other stuff he's directed.