PDA

View Full Version : Triptykon- Triumph of Death Live

Robert W
08-09-2012, 07:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imRxqu8OBII

Unbelievable! They're finally playing Hellhammer songs live.

Ian Jane
08-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Wow. Didn't see that coming.

Wish they'd play around here. Saw Celtic Frost on the Monotheist tour and they were great.

Tom K
08-10-2012, 02:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imRxqu8OBII

Unbelievable! They're finally playing Hellhammer songs live.

Because metal is cool again!!!! It's okay now!!!

Sarcasm off...:biggrin:

Hellhammer/Celtic Frost is one of my biggest influences in regards to death metal...In fact, I met him here in Chicago a while back (a friend of mine was dating him) and it was one of the few times that I clammed up and went into super shy mode...

Over the years, he would not talk about Hellhammer and was embarassed about it...even recently...then they did the box set...and there are all these Hellhammer worship bands out there...so I guess he figured he better cash in before that trend goes away...

I'm bummed I missed the Monotheist show...when they played Chicago, that was the day I got foreclosed on...so no CF for me...and I heard it was a great show...

I like the Triptykon stuff a bit better than the Monotheist stuff...that kind of bored me...there was like 1 and a half good songs on there...

Still, give me Morbid Tales anyday!!

Ian Jane
08-10-2012, 02:52 PM
I dug the Monotheist album from start to finish. I still find it very listenable. Not to knock Morbid Tales at all but Monotheist was, to me, the right way to sort of update their sound I guess. It was pretty polished for CF, but still heavy and dark as fuck.

Tom K
08-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I dug the Monotheist album from start to finish. I still find it very listenable. Not to knock Morbid Tales at all but Monotheist was, to me, the right way to sort of update their sound I guess. It was pretty polished for CF, but still heavy and dark as fuck.

Someone told me to give it a chance again...took him awhile, and he is a CF nut like I am...so maybe I will have to do that again soon...

One thing was offputting to me...and this kinds of get into music nerd territory, so bear with me...

Ok, Warrior wrote some of the most heaviest riffs ever...in standard E tuning...now, tunning lower does not make riffs heavier (as some like to think) but gives you more options and a lower sound...there is a difference there...kind of hard to explain...

Anyway, when he started down tuning, I felt it was kind of forced...like "it will be heavier if we down tune" Again, I can be totally off the mark here, but that's just the way I felt...

A good example, I don't know if you follow Possessed...Jeff Becerra had a version going awhile back with members of Sadistic Intent...And they were downtuned...when they played all the classic songs, they just didn't sound right...Now, he has got a new lineup and he said they will be playing all the tunes in their original tuning, the way they should be...

I asked if the same thing happed to Frost when they played the old stuff on the Montheist tour...people said no, it still sounded killer...To each their own maybe???

Ok, let's listen to Cold Lake now!!

Ian Jane
08-10-2012, 03:13 PM
It's obviously been a few years since that show and I'm a CF fan but not a CF super expert but to me ears the older stuff sounded fine when it was played.

I do understand what you mean about the downtuning. You're probably more susceptible to stuff like that than I am given your music background though.

Tom K
08-10-2012, 03:23 PM
That was the consensus I got too when I asked...

Pick up that Hellhammer Demons Entrails CD set if you get a chance...it is really good...

I'm just kind of a purist...it annoys people...when our former drummer was in the band, he would like to do a cover every now and again...I let the tuning thing slide (we're tuned to A#, which is really low, and tried to compensate by playing the riffs in the right key) but I would go ballistic when he tried to change the song...we have to put our spin on it...Personally, I like to play it the way the original band did, so that caused arguments...lol

Don't mind me...I'm a weirdo...

Ian Jane
08-10-2012, 03:42 PM
I think I have Demon Entrails on CD. I know I have one Hellhammer CD kicking around with some sort of splayed demon chick thing on the front...

Tom K
08-10-2012, 03:58 PM
That would be it...I think they did a couple of versions...the one I have is a double CD in a DVD type case...I think there was a double and triple vinyl release too...they released all these different variations at the same time...Pretty confident...

Ian Jane
08-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Mine is an old version, single disc. Might be worth upgrading though...

Robert W
08-10-2012, 07:52 PM
They're playing Messiah now as well.

Robert W
08-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Wow. Didn't see that coming.

Wish they'd play around here. Saw Celtic Frost on the Monotheist tour and they were great.

I saw them on the Into The Pandemonium tour. That was a hoot!