PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse Series 37: When Horror Came to Shochiku coming on November 20

Derrick King
08-15-2012, 04:50 PM
http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/928-eclipse-series-37-when-horror-came-to-shochiku
http://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-production/release_images/3997/eclipse_shochikuhorror_3D.png?1345055789

Following years of a certain radioactive rubber beast’s domination of the box office, many Japanese studios tried to replicate the formula with their own brands of monster movies. One of the most fascinating dives into that fiendish deep end was the short-lived one from Shochiku, a studio better known for its elegant dramas by the likes of Kenji Mizoguchi and Yasujiro Ozu. In 1967 and 1968, the company created four certifiably batty, low-budget fantasies, tales haunted by watery ghosts, plagued by angry insects, and stalked by aliens—including one in the form of a giant chicken-lizard. Shochiku’s outrageous and oozy horror period shows a studio leaping into the unknown, even if only for one brief, bloody moment.

Collector’s Set Includes:

The X from Outer Space (Kazui Nihonmatsu 1967)
When a scientist crew returns from Mars with some space spores that contaminated their ship, they inadvertently bring about a nightmarish Earth invasion.

Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell (Hajime Sato 1968)
After an airplane is forced to crash-land in a remote area, its passengers find themselves face-to-face with an alien force that wants to possess their bodies and souls—and perhaps take over the entire human race.

The Living Skeleton (Hiroshi Matsuno 1968)
In this atmospheric tale of revenge from beyond the watery grave, a pirate-ransacked freighter’s violent past comes back to haunt a young woman living in a seaside town.

Genocide (Kazui Nihonmatsu 1968)
The insects are taking over in this nasty piece of disaster horror directed by Kazui Nohinmatsu. A group of military personnel transporting a hydrogen bomb are left to figure out how and why swarms of killer bugs took down their plane.

Ian Jane
08-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Just posted about this in the Criterion thread but this deserves its own special spot. I'm bummed there isn't going to be a Blu-ray release for this set, BUT.... who am I kidding, this is a day one purchase.

Roderick
08-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Goke is super rad. Stoked to see the others for the first time.

Ian Jane
08-15-2012, 05:17 PM
X From Outer Space is amazing in its goofiness. I have a shitty bootleg of it. Living Skeleton I've read about and am keen on seeing for the first time, and I don't really know much at all about Genocide but I like killer bug movies.

Derrick King
08-15-2012, 06:11 PM
It would have been nice if they had at least given GOKE a blu-ray release, but I've waited so long for these that I'm just happy to have them.

47lab
08-15-2012, 08:12 PM
X From Outer Space is amazing in its goofiness. I have a shitty bootleg of it. Living Skeleton I've read about and am keen on seeing for the first time, and I don't really know much at all about Genocide but I like killer bug movies.
GENOCIDE is pure camp which wouldn't have been half bad if the director hadn't tried to play it straight. It stars all the familiar 'gaijin' actors (using that term 'loosely') like Kathy Horan of Fukasaku's GREEN SLIME fame & Kurahara's "go to" black actor, Chico Roland. This guy is a literally buffoon onscreen with zero presence & without a modicum of acting ability. I just cant fathom how this guy was under contract in Japan for so many years? Surely, there was no dearth of blacks during occupied Japan with the sheer number of GIs stationed there after the war -- it's amazing that the studios couldn't find another, errm...any black guy who could read a script would've been an improvement.

paul h.
08-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Sweet. I'm happy to have stumbled across this info. '67-'68 horror weirdness. I like that very much.

Andrew Monroe
08-16-2012, 04:18 PM
I have GOKE and THE X FROM OUTER SPACE, looking forward to seeing the other two. And by the by, doesn't B&N have another Criterion sale in November or so? That'd be nice timing. I'm actually not that bummed that these won't get a BD release, the Eclipse series I've seen look pretty amazing anyway.

Mike Howlett
08-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Instant preorder (and boner) for me.

Ian Jane
08-16-2012, 06:51 PM
I have GOKE and THE X FROM OUTER SPACE, looking forward to seeing the other two. And by the by, doesn't B&N have another Criterion sale in November or so? That'd be nice timing. I'm actually not that bummed that these won't get a BD release, the Eclipse series I've seen look pretty amazing anyway.

All the ones that I've seen look great, no doubt about it.

But just think... how fucking beautiful would something like Goke be in a good HD transfer?

Terry C
08-16-2012, 07:10 PM
We've all been waiting for Goke for years, so I can't complain it's not on Blu(though would have been nice :p).

http://www.flixist.com/ul/210983-nyaff-review-goke-body-snatcher-from-hell/goke-body-snatcher-from-hell-japanese-movie-review-nyaff-2012-cult-midnight-2-noscale.jpg

Ian Jane
08-17-2012, 09:15 AM
I had the import, so I'll complain!

Oh, and this, which Bruce H. posted on his FB page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwNHNgd86Og&feature=youtu.be

Derrick King
11-11-2012, 07:00 PM
According to the DVDBeaver review (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/dvd_reviews_58/when_horror_came_to_shochiku.htm), The X From Outer Space includes the English dub.

Ian Jane
11-12-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm so stoked for this set. B&N needs to ship my order pronto.

Ian Jane
12-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Watched Goke last night. Still love the movie. Criterion could have put more work into cleaning it up than they did but whatever.

Looking forward to checking out the other three movies soon.

Marshall Crist
12-01-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm so stoked for this set. B&N needs to ship my order pronto.

I pre-ordered this with them and as far as I can tell they still haven't shipped it. Did you get a shipping notification?

Roderick
12-01-2012, 01:21 PM
I also ordered from the B&N sale and got a ship notice on the 28th. Mine should show up today.

Ian Jane
12-01-2012, 02:18 PM
I pre-ordered this with them and as far as I can tell they still haven't shipped it. Did you get a shipping notification?

I did. It shipped on the 19th I think, a day before street date, and I had it last week. Took about 7 days to get to me. B&N's shipping kinda stinks.

Ian Jane
12-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Living Skeleton is pretty dope. It doesn't actually have a living skeleton in it per se, but it does have some non-living floating underwater skeletons. It's also got a dog named Johnny, an exposed boob, some melting corpses and a ghost ship thing as well as a dude with a burned face. The score alternates between Bond style and Morricone style and is a weird fit for the movie but somehow it all works.

I liked this one a lot.

Ian Jane
08-29-2014, 08:59 AM
But just think... how fucking beautiful would something like Goke be in a good HD transfer?

I could find out, if I wanted to shell out for the upcoming Japanese Blu-ray. And I probably would, if it were English friendly but I can't confirm that it is.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Goke-Body-Snatcher-from-Hell-Blu-ray/dp/B00MXVXHGS?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluraycom-22&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00MXVXHGS&m=AN1VRQENFRJN5

Clive Smith
08-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Holy crap, that looks nice!