PDA

View Full Version : The Silent Night Deadly Night Franchise!

Alex K.
08-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Here's a franchise that you might say got better once it went straight to video. The five Silent Night Deadly Night films.

1st film is a legendary sleazy slasher. Not much else to say because it's been talked about for so long.

2nd film was my introduction to the franchise and being young and not seeing the 1st film this was an excellent film to start with. Being young I didn't recognize the OTT acting of Eric Freeman but I actually really liked the 3rd act with him slowly becoming a serial killer and the eventual rampage. It was just a really dark and twisted picture, I don't think it gave me nightmares (I must have been 8 or 9 at the time of viewing) but I do remember hiding the tape so my mother wouldn't discover it's shocking contents. I eventually lost that tape sadly. Definite highlight is the scene where Ricky sees a guy rape his girlfriend and he runs over the guy, later the girl thanks him. It was a well done scene and I like that it was a reversal of a similar scene in the 1st film.

3rd film: Art House Slasher film. No, really. Directed by the legendary Monte Hellman and starring Bill Mosley as Ricky who awakens from his coma with a fishbowl covering his brain... Okay it doesn't sound like high art but it's actually very subdued and well done. The direction is tight, Mosley gives in a great near-silent performance, the other actors are good too and overall it just has this really strange tone that separates it from most slashers. I recommend it.

4th film: Brian Yuzna tries his hand at the franchise and gives us a take on Rosemary's Baby set during Xmas with Clint Howard and special effects by Screaming Mad George. Though the story is cliche as hell the visuals and effects are a standout and approach surrealism more than once. Of the entire franchise it could be the weakest but it's still a fun horror flick to watch in my book though it gets the least re-watching of all the films from me.

5th film: Possibly my 2nd favorite. Takes the Santa myth and goes a little further with it by having a toymaker create deadly toys given to all naughty boys and girls. It even works in a Pinocchio story that culminates in what I think is the most twisted moment of the entire franchise: The homicidal Pinocchio android dry humping a woman who it wants as it's mother and repeating in a doll-like voice "I love you! I love you! I love you!" that alone is worth watching this film in addition to Mickey Rooney acting like a drunken maniac. Yuzna's presence is still heavily felt and the effects are once again done by the legendary Screaming Mad George.

Ian Jane
08-17-2012, 09:27 AM
I don't think I've seen any of them except for the 1st one. Yuzna and Howard on the 4th film is interesting though.

Paul Casey
08-17-2012, 10:56 AM
I just got the 3-4-5 set the other day. I hadn't watched the first two in a while and was talking about them with a friend. Showed him the "Garbage Day" clip, and I knew I had to rewatch. The first one's probably my fave followed by the fifth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gIpuIVE3k

Alex K.
08-17-2012, 08:04 PM
I don't think I've seen any of them except for the 1st one. Yuzna and Howard on the 4th film is interesting though.

Definitely check out parts 3-5. They make an excellent holiday marathon and beat the shit out of reruns of Christmas Story.

Ian Jane
11-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Fangoria is doing a theatrcial run for the first film next month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H2XzS0j4CU&feature=youtu.be

Wernski
11-23-2013, 11:17 AM
I like the original, and enjoyed part 5 when it came out, but I'm a little scared to go back and see how much it holds up.
Not a big fan of the other three.

Ian Jane
12-04-2013, 12:10 PM
The dates for the theatrical run are now posted (http://fangoriaonscreen.com/).

Ace
12-09-2013, 12:20 PM
I am goin wed night!! Can't wait!

Ace

Matt H.
07-14-2016, 06:54 PM
I watched Part 2 again after many years and it's more entertaining than I remembered. The main reason I wanted to see it was I had a feeling that people have long been exaggerating how much footage is used from the original and it turns out I was right. Most reviews claim this uses "40-45 minutes of scenes from Part 1" (even the filmmakers themselves claim this on the commentary!) but it actually only uses approx. 29 min. So the new footage adds up to 59 min. (including 4 min. of end credits). Pointless trivia, I know, but it's kind of annoying to me when false information is passed along again and again.

Alex K.
07-14-2016, 07:43 PM
Part 2 is pretty fun when you get to the original footage but my favorite of the sequels has always been part 5.

Matt H.
07-14-2016, 09:07 PM
Yeah, Mickey Rooney pulling faces and just generally hamming it up in Part 5 is wonderful. The ending is demented, too; that must be Yuzna's influence, he's had incest themes in his films before (like SOCIETY).

Alex K.
07-14-2016, 09:15 PM
A Brian Yuzna flick (even when he's just a Producer) is almost always interesting on some level. I always try to watch part 5 around Xmas alongside Diehard and Cannibal Holocaust.

Matt H.
07-14-2016, 09:19 PM
Agreed about Yuzna; he's made some great flicks. My Xmas movie will always be CHRISTMAS EVIL.

Alex K.
12-25-2018, 08:26 PM
I'm re-watching part 2 and -once you get to the original footage- it's pretty damn good. I love how it inverts elements from the first movie and gives you a "What If" take. I still appreciate the original which I think is a real miracle of a picture. There's so many nuanced elements to it; violence creating violence, trauma creating new trauma's.

Ian Jane
12-26-2018, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I really, really liked Part 2 a lot more after viewing it recently than I remembered. You do have to get through 40 minutes of 'previously on SNDN' but once you do, it's gold.

Keeth
12-26-2018, 02:53 PM
I watched the orig. film last night & Part 5 a few days ago. I didn't pick up on any incest but towards the end, I was distracted. I 'saw' most if it but didn't take it in. I deleted it but will dvr it again if I run across it.

Alex K.
12-26-2018, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I really, really liked Part 2 a lot more after viewing it recently than I remembered. You do have to get through 40 minutes of 'previously on SNDN' but once you do, it's gold.

I think of it more as a 2 for 1 deal. Albeit with the cut R rated version of part 1.

Tom Clark
12-26-2018, 06:36 PM
To Grandmother’s House We Go: In Defence of Silent Night, Deadly Night 3: Better Watch Out! (1990) (https://diaboliquemagazine.com/to-grandmothers-house-we-go-in-defence-of-silent-night-deadly-night-3-better-watch-out-1990/)

Alex K.
12-26-2018, 06:58 PM
As I said in my OP post, I thought part 3 was pretty good. It definitely nails this surreal tone that works in its favor.

Alex K.
01-03-2019, 06:55 PM
I watched the orig. film last night & Part 5 a few days ago. I didn't pick up on any incest but towards the end, I was distracted. I 'saw' most if it but didn't take it in. I deleted it but will dvr it again if I run across it.

How did you miss the part where the Pinnochio android wants the woman as her mother and starts humping her while screaming "I love you mommy! I love you! I love you! I love you!"

Keeth
01-03-2019, 07:01 PM
I remember seeing that scene at the end but I don't recall any humping, unfortunately. I haven't run across it again on the channel I dvr'd it..

Alex K.
01-03-2019, 07:02 PM
Well the android wasn't giving her a special hug.