PDA

View Full Version : The Beast Within (1982)

Andrew Monroe
08-22-2012, 08:48 AM
I recently took another look at this one, aside from a few rubbery effects it holds up surprisingly well. I saw it first run back then, when the slasher film was pretty much king and this was a nice change...a monster flick played very seriously. It's a very grim story, a couple of rapes (by monster) and an abusive father who smacks his daughter around. There's a certain griminess to this, to illustrate what I mean, think of that scene where the guy is cooking hamburgers in a wifebeater when Paul shows up...a weirdly off-putting scene even before he gets killed. Director Philippe Mora has an interesting filmography, he did MAD DOG MORGAN prior to this, and later did THE RETURN OF CAPTAIN INVINCIBLE and the first two HOWLING sequels (okay so he whiffed a time ot two). I remember Fangoria gave this a big push at the time, with on-set articles and lots of pictures. I still have those issues somewhere. Paul Clemens was fairly good in the lead, he showed some potential to develop, it's a shame he kinda faded away. I like that a slightly portly guy like him was cast, if this was made today no doubt his role would be a GQ model-type. The door was definitely left open for a sequel too, too bad that didn't happen. Maybe the best thing about this is an absolute Murderer's Row of character actors, including L.Q. Jones, R.G. Armstrong, Luke Askew, Don Gordon and Ronnie Cox. What a lineup! Oh, and don't forget Meshach Taylor, later of DESIGNING WOMEN is here too.

Ian Jane
08-22-2012, 09:04 AM
I've never seen this, despite the MGM DVD being everywhere for a while. I like rubbery effects so I don't think that would be an issue for me.

The trailer makes it look pretty rad and I'm a sucker for 'warnings' in trailers that make it very clear that the movie is so intense and terrifying that they can only show you so much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jUD5bvUIkE

Didn't realize Tom Holland wrote this.

Horace Cordier
08-22-2012, 10:55 AM
I can vouch for this one. The kid's a decent actor, Cox is awesome and some of it is genuinely disturbing.

It also was the recipient of a zero star Ebert review - usually a good sign.

Andrew Monroe
08-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Yeah, Maltin gives it the expected BOMB rating, usually a thumbs up for horror fans. Ian, you should give it a watch sometime. It gets a little murky when explaning the origins of the monster but generally it's a well done flick. Plenty of creature action and some good gore (and I'll take the rubbery f/x over CGI anyday). Aside from the transformation scenes, the creature looks pretty good. I'm sure the MGM disc is still easy and cheap to find. I can't remember if it was ever released as a solo disc, mine pairs it with THE BAT PEOPLE.

Ian Jane
08-22-2012, 01:02 PM
It was a solo disc. I've seen it around recently, possibly in a $5 bin at Walmart. I'll definitely pick it up next time I see it!

Gary Banks
08-22-2012, 01:19 PM
This is a damn good film. The book it was based on dealt with the beast as a werewolf.

Andrew Monroe
08-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Interesting, Gary. I was wondering what you thought of this, actually I figured you might not like it since it's pretty grim and downbeat. Good monster flick though.

Tom K
08-31-2012, 12:18 PM
Odd...I just put this in my netflix queue a few days ago...

I saw this years ago when I was a kid...I was probably 7 or 8, and it scared the shit out of me...

When I was looking through the titles on nf, I stumbled upon it and it brought back memories...I don't know why I never got it on DVD, just always passed on it...

Looking forward to revisiting it...maybe this weekend if I have the time...

Alex K.
08-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Great bladder effects. Should've been called Bladder Effects the Movie. Would make a great double feature with The Borrower.

I saw it back in the day and liked it for what it was.

I think I saw it on Monstervision but I can't recall these Joe Bob segments:

http://youtu.be/GycOWjbkD0M

Ian Jane
04-22-2014, 10:03 AM
Details for the upcoming Arrow Blu.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of the feature, transferred from original film elements by MGM - available uncut in the UK for the first time!
Original stereo 2.0 audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
New audio commentary with director Philippe Mora moderated by author Calum Waddell
I Was a Teenage Cicada: The Making of The Beast Within - An in-depth look back at Philippe Mora’s creature feature classic featuring new interviews with writer Tom Holland, actors Paul Clemens, John Dennis Johnston, Katherine Moffat and effects wizard Garry Elmendorf
Storyboarding The Beast – An all-new animated featurette in which Philippe Mora discusses the film’s journey from storyboard to screen
Image Gallery – Including rare production stills from the private collection of star Paul Clemens plus new photographs of various special effects props
Original Trailer
Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork by Marc Schoenbach
Collector’s Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Lee Gambin, author of Massacred by Mother Nature: Exploring the Natural Horror Film plus a contemporary article on the film’s production, all illustrated with original stills and artwork.

RRP: £24.99 £15.99
Region: 2/B
Rating: 18
Cat No: FCD922
Duration: 98 mins
Language: English
Subtitles: English SDH
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Audio: Stereo 2.0
Colour: Colour