PDA

View Full Version : LIBIDO

Dom D
09-08-2012, 06:09 PM
New Itallian giallo release. I'd kill for a new, I hear classic, giallo I've never seen before right now but this appears to come sans subtitles.

http://www.kultvideo.com/articles/ArticleSheet.aspx/aid14234aid-DVD-Libido-28-08-From-28-August-2012?__langG=en-GB

Directed by Ernesto Gastaldi. I actually wasn't aware that he was a director as well. Anyway, keen.

bgart13
09-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Latarnian, The Real Belfagor, posted (http://thelatarniaforums.yuku.com/topic/11165/LIBIDO-on-Italian-dvd) this recently about it:

Italy's Cinekult label has just unleashed a splendid dvd of LIBIDO, the forerunner of the Carroll Baker and Edwige Fenech gialli. Though not an English friendly release, the film is nicely presented in the 1.66:1 ratio and the disc includes a very informative - and entertaining - interview with writer/director Ernesto Gastaldi.

He's located in Italy, btw.

Ian Jane
09-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Probably only a matter of time until subs hit for it.

Nice cover art.

Andrew Monroe
09-10-2012, 09:26 AM
I have a kinda crappy subbed copy of this, it's a good, early example of the psychosexual giallo. Giancarlo Giannini and Alan Collins (L. Pigozzi) are both excellent in it. Supposedly, it was shot in just 18 days.

mmyersisgod
09-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Is CineKult a reputable label? I just ordered their copy of Death Smiles on a Murderer.

Andrew Monroe
09-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Is CineKult a reputable label? I just ordered their copy of Death Smiles on a Murderer.

As far as I know they are. I recently got their dvd of Dallamano's VENUS IN FURS and it's a nice disc with two versions of the film (only one is english-friendly). I'm pretty sure I have some others of theirs but I'd have to look.

Dom D
09-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Did an English language copy of this ever come out for us mono lingual types? This is still the top of my To See list.

Ian Jane
09-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Nope, but there are fan subs around for the Italian CineKult disc.

WardBamble
09-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Italy's Cinekult label has just unleashed a splendid dvd of LIBIDO.

sukebanboy
09-29-2013, 12:36 AM
STILL love the names of the giallo titles....They are ALMOST ona par with Japanese pinku movie names....but no one can come close to them!!!

Dom D
09-29-2013, 02:03 AM
Hmm... 9 euros plus postage to Australia, wait a few weeks to get it, rip it to my PC, hunt down the subs, marry them to the film and then chuck the disc. I probably want to see the film enough that I'm going to do that but it doesn't fill me with joy.

sukebanboy
09-29-2013, 04:04 AM
Hmm... 9 euros plus postage to Australia, wait a few weeks to get it, rip it to my PC, hunt down the subs, marry them to the film and then chuck the disc. I probably want to see the film enough that I'm going to do that but it doesn't fill me with joy.

Come on...back in the days of VHS it was MUCH harder than this to get hold of a fairly rare movie....let alone WITH SUBS AVAILABLE!!!

You have been spoiled by DVD my friend!!!:biggrin:

Dom D
05-08-2014, 10:45 PM
How good is this film? I wasnt expecting much as its been one of my cinatic holy grails for a while and I was fully prepared for disappointment. But this is a cracking giallo. Gastaldi is unexpectedly quite the visual stylist. Certainly more assured behind the camera than Martino who directed so many of his best screnplays.

I was a bit worried this was going to be simplistic when we're told the dead father was never found but was pleased to find there are as many twists and turns here as anything Gastaldi did. Huge amounts here for the giallo fantic though. Did the opening recall Deep Red for anyone else?
The costuming on the bimbo character was a lot of fun for the vintage lingerie fanatic and that black, black comedy ending was a definite highlight.