PDA

View Full Version : Takashi Miike's Lesson Of The Evil

Ian Jane
09-12-2012, 09:54 AM
This looks kind of interesting. Not all of Miike's recent stuff has caught my attention but this... yeah, I'll check this out.

Teaser!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLyJ_di7x3E

Trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il1SX3Re_VM

Poster!

Synopsis (from Twitch (http://twitchfilm.com/2012/09/full-trailer-for-miike-takashis-lesson-of-the-evil.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TwitchEverything+%28Twitch%29 ))!

"When students start digging around in the past of their most popular teacher (Ito Hideaki), they soon discover that behind his cheery exterior, he is in fact a psychopath. After that, well, let's just say there will be blood."

47lab
09-12-2012, 02:51 PM
This does look interesting and hopefully a return to Miike's roots. I also lost interest in Miike especially after his superfluous remakes of Kubo and Kobayashi's classic films.

Hopefully the source material from Kishi's novel will make for an entertaining movie. I did enjoy Yusuke Kishi's The Crimson Labyrinth & it made me long for more of his work to become available in English.

Ian Jane
09-13-2012, 09:41 AM
This does look interesting and hopefully a return to Miike's roots.

That was sort of the impression I got from the trailer as well. He might be up to something zany, something a little less restrained, with this new one. Would be nice to see him cut loose again.

sukebanboy
09-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Nice to see MIIKE still churning them out.....I kinda lost track (and interest) in him the past few years..bit OVER-MIIKED I think....

Might have to give this one a look if it is a return to his past form.....might also have a lok at what I have been missing of his lately...

Ian Jane
09-17-2012, 09:32 AM
I think a lot of us went through Miike burn out a few years back and never fully recovered but if he keeps putting out interesting stuff, I'll keep watching.

sukebanboy
09-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Yeah..i thin everyone was burned out by his output around the same time...Seemed like every week there was a new Miike moive!!!

His last one ACE ATTOURNY didnt really appeal to me.....but i am sure i missed a few good ones he did...

sukebanboy
09-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Yeah..i thin everyone was burned out by his output around the same time...Seemed like every week there was a new Miike moive!!!

His last one ACE ATTOURNY didnt really appeal to me.....but i am sure i missed a few good ones he did...

Ian Jane
05-15-2013, 09:48 AM
The Hong Kong Blu-ray & DVD release date is 5/30/13. Yesasia (http://www.yesasia.com/us/lesson-of-the-evil-2012-blu-ray-english-subtitled-hong-kong-version/1033385230-0-0-0-en/info.html) confirms English subtitles.

Nolando
05-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Awesome. I finally caught Hara Kiri this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it - but that's about as "caught up" as I am with the guy.

Randy G
05-16-2013, 02:40 AM
Liked 13 Assassins and thought he did a great job with his version of Graveyard of Honour so I'm interested in seeing his take on Hara Kiri but this looks awesome.

Ian Jane
07-09-2013, 07:11 PM
New trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrS_2KJz1zU

sukebanboy
07-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Just finished watching it.......

It is a b it long (over 2 hours) but it builds up nicely to when the bloodshed REALLY starts ( last 40 mins)...

Story doesnt REALLY make sense when you analyse it.....but it was entertaining enough...There was a bit in the middle with a foreign (American) non-actor that ALMOST spoiled it...but it survived....

IT WILL NOT get a North American release based on the last 40 mins of the movie..

Also, it says TO BE CONTINUED at the end...so maybe part 2 will turn up (they definitely leave a way to make a part 2 )

So, overall it was well made movie....and enterttaining enough to watch..The main actor was awesome but it wasny QUITE top tier Miike moviemaking.....a bit too ORDINARY for him...not really any big surprises on the way to the end....

47lab
07-11-2013, 03:02 AM
Just finished watching it.......

It is a b it long (over 2 hours) but it builds up nicely to when the bloodshed REALLY starts ( last 40 mins)...

Story doesnt REALLY make sense when you analyse it.....but it was entertaining enough...There was a bit in the middle with a foreign (American) non-actor that ALMOST spoiled it...but it survived....

IT WILL NOT get a North American release based on the last 40 mins of the movie..

Also, it says TO BE CONTINUED at the end...so maybe part 2 will turn up (they definitely leave a way to make a part 2 )

So, overall it was well made movie....and enterttaining enough to watch..The main actor was awesome but it wasny QUITE top tier Miike moviemaking.....a bit too ORDINARY for him...not really any big surprises on the way to the end....
yeah I recently saw this too with the missus. She's generally not a fan of films of this type but she was bored & stuck around for the whole thing. She actually guffawed during certain scenes due to the extreme black humor and weird dark comedic moments interspersed among all the serious stuff & certain scenes where Miike was obviously going for a poignant moment but just didn't work.

This will definitely not get a North American release -- not due to the graphic violence per se (although it is extremely violent with lots of carnage) but the scenes of gun violence at school hits too close to home. I don't think the US is ready for a movie where the last 3rd of the movie is scene after scene of kids are getting blown away with a shotgun. Not too mention the scenes of adult teachers engaging in pederasty & coerced sex with their students.

I agree about the fantasy scenes with the 'foreign' actors -- that was totally unnecessary and really detracted from the film. Also the whole linking the crows to Norse mythology & the killer's affinity to the classic song "mack the knife" appeared to be thrown in for no specific purpose than to establish the killer's insanity. There is essentially no build up either as the first couple minutes in to the movie, one already sees the teacher's psychopathic origins and the viewer is basically just waiting for the killings to begin. The last third turns into the very predictable showdown between psycho teacher vs student body & becomes a battle of survival. With the amount of buckshot used in this movie, one would think the killer would have to carry a minimum of a half dozen bandoliers filled with shells but nope...where did he keep all the shells? :dunno:

Hey, I noticed a couple of actors who worked with Sono are in supporting roles in this one. The two young teenage leads from HIMIZU & the protagonist from COLD FISH too. But I agree in the end that this movie is nothing special from a Miike POV and a bit more conventional than I was expecting or hoping.

My favorite shot from the movie was the slo mo closeup of the buckshot after being fired from the teacher's shotgun on a collision course with the arrow simultaneously shot by a student.

http://i.imgur.com/ueppvhVl.png

Ian Jane
04-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Third Window has this scheduled for a Blu-ray release in the UK in Sept.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lesson-Evil-Blu-ray-Kodai-Asaka/dp/B00JDNG2QG/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_cp_4_DTJN?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Y5KD6EJTENTC0XG6GKM

Paul L
04-15-2014, 04:51 PM
I've got the Third Window Blu on preorder. Looking forward to seeing this one!

Takuma
05-09-2014, 01:58 AM
I don't have much to add as you guys already summarized it perfectly. Miike's been extremely hit and miss in the recent years, but this was quite enjoyable. I liked both the entertaining and slick high school "drama", and the bloodshed. Some nice touches like the use of Mack the Knife on the soundtrack ; the gaijin was unnecessary though.

Something I was very pleased with was how good it looked. Too many modern Japanese films are shot on bargain basement digi; Lesson of Evil on the other hand looked terrific on a 14 metre screen. Speaking of which, this was a notable hit in Japanese theaters. When I reviewed it in 2012 a month after its theatrical opening it had already made more money than Batman during the entire year.

sukebanboy
05-09-2014, 06:46 AM
Speaking of which, this was a notable hit in Japanese theaters. When I reviewed it in 2012 a month after its theatrical opening it had already made more money than Batman during the entire year.

So there IS justice int he world....sometimes!:funny:

the gaijin was unnecessary though.

90% of the time this is true in Asian movies!!!

47lab
05-09-2014, 06:51 PM
Any of you guys seen the made for mobile TV 4 part series, LESSON OF THE EVIL:PROLOGUE? I read that it goes into the background of Hasume having lived in the US before returning to Japan to become a teacher and planning his rampage. His having lived in the US might explain the reasoning behind the school massacre as that type of thing is rather commonplace here. :clint: He had become Americanized! :p

nah but seriously this movie begs for a sequel but I doubt Miike will helm it since he's said he hates doing sequels but who knows?

http://youtu.be/HN_Hatt1Kkw

Tom Clark
05-29-2014, 07:28 PM
This will definitely not get a North American release
Hopefully you're speaking strictly in terms of theatrical distribution and not home video. Surly some company has enough balls to put this out?

sukebanboy
06-09-2014, 05:43 AM
I hope LESSON OF THE EVIL : PROLOGUE does NOT feature that annoying foreigner...According to the story of the movie, it seems like he MAY be a big part of the prequel....:nono: