PDA

View Full Version : John Dies at the End (Don Coscarelli)

Barry M
09-16-2012, 03:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ot7kFjUcrs

Saw JOHN DIES AT THE END tonight.

Nuts. Funny, fucked-up lunatic storyline with hip, charismatic lead turns, and a couple of great effects set pieces. Messed-up, meandering whateverness doesn't hurt it, and I expect it accurately reflects the source web-novel (by cracked.com editor David Wong). Probably best-viewed stoned.

OT: from looking at his twitter feed, Don Coscarelli's daughter was at the table beside me at the vegan place I went for supper. The universe is weird.

Ian Jane
09-16-2012, 01:49 PM
You caught it at TIFF I presume?

Would like to see this. Coscarelli's non-Phantasm stuff is underrated I think.

Marshall Crist
09-16-2012, 01:53 PM
I am happy for you that you enjoyed it.

Like most movies since about 1985, there is nothing about this that makes me want to watch it, at all. This is not meant as a personal attack on anyone's taste. If anything, I wonder what is "wrong" with me that even "good" movies look like boring garbage.

Barry M
09-16-2012, 02:50 PM
I don't really much like TIFF's midnight screenings -- too late for transit schedules, and the validation-seeking mob frenzy can sometimes piss me off. But I wanted to see this; never heard of the web-book, though.

It's a sloppy mess, storywise. BUBBA HO-TEP had Lansdale's tight story & characters, and the surprises actually meant something; this is based on a web-novel, and there's no real structure to keep it on-track. "I had no idea what would happen next" some reviews say; but really I think the book might've been written as "I just thought up this new bullshit, hope you dig it". A little how I expect PHANTASM V would turn out... It's kind of a fun mess, occasionally inspired, like drunk cooking. Tasty? Maybe don't look in the sink in the morning.

The two leads are gonna be hipster stars, maybe. They belong on the internet.

I think KENNY & CO. really is the Coscarelli rosetta: he just loves stuffing his dad's suit and throwing it into the street for thrills. Looks like he had fun this time around. That spirit probably isn't enough to recommend it to you, Marshall, but you might recognize something in it.

I forgot to mention Paul Giamatti.

Randy G
09-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Looks like fun.

Ian Jane
09-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Fangoria (http://www.fangoria.com/index.php/reviews/movies/7808-john-dies-at-the-end-tiff-movie-review) liked it.

Scott
09-17-2012, 05:10 PM
I forgot to mention Paul Giamatti.

Giamatti's been pushing BUBBA NOSFERATU pretty hard lately. I guess he wants to make it happen.

I didn't even know about this new flick.

Marshall's right tho.

Barry M
09-17-2012, 05:19 PM
He is. I'm hoping* that a lukewarm Fangoria review will mean a lot to Marshall.

* skeptical

Marshall Crist
09-17-2012, 09:18 PM
I think KENNY & CO. really is the Coscarelli rosetta: he just loves stuffing his dad's suit and throwing it into the street for thrills.

I'll cop to not being sure what either part of that sentence means--although I have my suspicions--but I did enjoy KENNY & CO.

Also, probably unnecessary, but I just wanted to clarify that I was speaking about a detachment from "current cinema," not Coscarelli in particular. He seems like a nice fellow.

Barry M
09-17-2012, 09:58 PM
He does seem nice -- very gracious in bringing cast & production people up on stage for the Q&A after the movie, and in his comments.

I was referring to that scene in KENNY & CO. where, knowing they're getting too old to trick & treat, they celebrate Hallowe'en by tossing a dummy into traffic: that's great stuff, make-believe for the fun & devil of it, because it seemed like a good idea at the time. Monster-kid stuff, maybe? I get that flavour a lot in his movies: just about everything in BEASTMASTER, and the imaginative goofing that makes even the last PHANTASMs work for me. It just seems like he's digging it. I can think of lots worse motives for making movies.

Edit: oh, and, Marshall -- I applaud, admire, and encourage your detachment from the cinematic timestream. Drift!

Ian Jane
10-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Cool poster art courtesy of Fango. Bonus points for creativity.

Ian Jane
11-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Magnet has announced that they have this slated for an on-demand release 12/27/12 and a theatrical run starting 1/25/13.

Robin Bougie
11-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Saw it at the Rio Grindhouse Fest in Vancouver. Loved it. His best movie in many tries.

sukebanboy
11-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Saw it at the Rio Grindhouse Fest in Vancouver. Loved it. His best movie in many tries.

WOW...was not interested in this movie AT ALL...from the title to the lack of publicity...I guess it just didnt peak my interest....

But to hear such gushing praise of it, I guess i will have to put it on my "to see" pile as I have been unluckily choosing nothing but CRAP for the past month or so!!!

Ian Jane
01-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Domestic DVD/Blu-ray release stated for 4/2/13. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B04NJCG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=cognitrespon-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00B04NJCG)

Ian Jane
03-05-2013, 12:48 PM

Paul L
03-25-2013, 03:14 PM
This doesn't seem to have a UK release date yet; I'm tempted to import the US BD when it comes out next week. Hmmm. Decision time, I think.

mmyersisgod
03-25-2013, 04:02 PM
The new cover looks terrible. They should have stuck with the poster.

Ian Jane
04-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Yeah, that cover sucks. Watched the movie last night though and I really liked it. It was definitely something interesting, something different. I guess it sorta counts as horror because it's pretty gory and it's got some monsters in it but I don't know if it was actually ever trying to be scary. I did like the ending, what played out through the end credits. I thought that was a very clever and appropriate finish for the movie. I can see myself wanting to watch this again fairly soon. I think it would hold up well to repeat viewings.

bgart13
04-05-2013, 12:33 PM
I watched it last night, too, and liked it. Almost felt like Cronenberg was a big influence on it. Strange, funny at times, definitely off the wall.

Paul L
04-05-2013, 01:29 PM
I watched it about a fortnight ago and enjoyed it. I found the first half quite disjointed, but a friend tells me that the first 45 minutes or so of the film condenses a lot of plot from the novel into a digestible chunk - and then the second half of the film, apparently, deviates quite substantially from the book. Funnily enough, I thought this second half was where the film began to find its feet.

The black humour worked well: there's an undercurrent of existential dread that runs underneath the humour in the film. I thought this was admirable.

I loved the closing sequence. It worked perfectly, imo.

Mark Tolch
04-12-2013, 02:46 PM
I found it entertaining, but not much else. But I'm kind of a pisser about movies lately, so finding it mildly entertaining probably means it's really awesome.

Travis Sheldon
09-05-2013, 04:23 AM
Finally got around to catching this one on Netflix last night.
Loved the film!
Watched with my wife and was expecting a groan when I chose it, but she was a trooper and didn't say anything.
Lots of laughs, gore, and great performances.
Probably pick this one up on Blu eventually.

Ian Jane
11-25-2013, 11:41 AM
UK release coming from Eureka.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rvkyNABa78&feature=share&list=UUTMoFozMX_ 0KlRmRxoFXtrg&index=5

JoeS
03-14-2017, 03:30 PM
Let's face it, Don Coscarelli isn't known for his tight logical screenplays! JOHN is no exception, but, for the first half or so I went along for the ride with the Rave party gone real real bad premise. But, it got wearying after a while. Whatever 'story' it had seemed to be just ideas thrown randomnly at the screen. Speaking of random, the wrap-around story with Paul Giamatti never really pays off, either. It just seemed constructed so that Coscarelli could get a 'name' attached to sell his largely straight to video enterprise. You will notice that all of Giamatti's scenes take place in and around the dinner, likely all shot in one day (maybe part of two at most). It also seemed like Coscarelli was trying to outdo Sam Raimi circa the Evil Dead films. He didn't.