PDA

View Full Version : A&E Bringing The Bates Motel To TV!

Ian Jane
09-17-2012, 12:44 PM
From The Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ae-bates-motel-carlton-cuse-vera-farmiga-photo-369548):

Vera Farmiga to Star in A&E's 'Psycho' Prequel 'Bates Motel

Carlton Cuse Joining A&E's 'Bates Motel' (Exclusive) The cable network has reimagined the haunting hotel sign for its upcoming series exploring Norman Bates' formative years.

From Lost's Carlton Cuse and Friday Night Lights' Kerry Ehrin, Bates Motel will explore Norman's relationship with his mother, Norma and offer a look at his backstory that helped forge the infamous serial killer.

"We are incredibly excited to start production on Bates Motel. We think our take on the Bates family will both be surprising and subvert expectations. We can't wait for people to check in," Cuse told The Hollywood Reporter of his take.

Oscar nominee Vera Farmiga stars as Norma Louise Bates, who has been described as a complicated, passionate and compelling woman who is smart, multidimensional and always capable of surprising people.

Alison Jane
09-17-2012, 02:21 PM
...A&E's 'Psycho' Prequel 'Bates Motel'A&E Orders Carlton Cuse's 'Psycho' Prequel 'Bates Motel' Straight to Series'Lost' Showrunner Carlton Cuse Joining A&E's 'Bates Motel' (Exclusive)...

Whoa. Crazy sentence! Are those supposed to be keywords?

Apronikoff
09-17-2012, 02:26 PM
They already tried this, and it failed. And that Bates Motel TV series had Bud Cort, Lori Petty and Jason Bateman...

Ohh, the hubris.

Ian Jane
09-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Something went odd with the cut and paste.

I'd rather see a more daring network like Showtime or Bravo take this on. There's potential for a series there if done right but A&E have done a lot more with bad reality TV shows lately than any other sort of original programming and I don't think that I really have a whole lot of faith in them to pull this off.

Newt Cox
09-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Something went odd with the cut and paste.

I'd rather see a more daring network like Showtime or Bravo take this on. There's potential for a series there if done right but A&E have done a lot more with bad reality TV shows lately than any other sort of original programming and I don't think that I really have a whole lot of faith in them to pull this off.

Yeah it seems bad reality tv is the only thing A&E airs. I miss the old days of A&E when it aired decent stuff.

sukebanboy
09-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Looks like the kid from Burton's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY is the new Norman Bates...

http://cfile5.uf.tistory.com/image/122F0B0E49E49C5DA7CE7D

SORRY!!!

Here he is today!!

http://static7.imagecollect.com/preview/136/196a9ab5c3ec545

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/a-e-casts-ex-child-star-freddie-highmore-as-norman-bates.html

Paul Casey
09-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Here he is today!!

http://static7.imagecollect.com/preview/136/196a9ab5c3ec545

Hey kid, rock 'n roll, rock on.

Ian Jane
09-18-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm not seeing a whole lot of resemblence to Mr. Perkins there at all.

sukebanboy
09-18-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm not seeing a whole lot of resemblence to Mr. Perkins there at all.

Who knows WTF the criteria was that the suits decided to go with this guy...trying to pull in the teen audience????

With all the whacked out, real-crazy people there must be around Hollywood, not sure why they chose this guy....

i always thought CRISPIN GLOVER would be perfect to play Norman...though it would need to be a remake/reboot rather than a prequel...

Ian Jane
09-18-2012, 10:55 AM
i always thought CRISPIN GLOVER would be perfect to play Norman...though it would need to be a remake/reboot rather than a prequel...

He'd be perfect except that he's probably too old for the part now if they're doing the whole 'Norman in his younger days' thing.

sukebanboy
09-18-2012, 11:02 AM
They could always do the "long lost twin returns to run the Bates Motel" storyline LOL!!!

Ian Jane
11-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Fangoria (http://www.fangoria.com/index.php/home/all-news/1-latest-news/8161-normannorma-first-image-from-qbates-motelq) found the first image from the series by way of Entertainment Weekly, and also dropped some details about the pilot's script.

"Shock Till You Drop recently got their hands on the pilot's script, revealing some other nuggets to expect from BATES MOTEL, like the appearance of Norman's father and brother, his affinity for Manga and how the show is even pre-opening of the Motel."

sukebanboy
11-20-2012, 07:00 PM
, and also dropped some details about the pilot's script.

like the appearance of Norman's father and brother, his affinity for Manga and how the show is even pre-opening of the Motel."

What are they doing???..They are gonna turn him into some GEEKY EMO NERD with a fetish for Japanese manga!!!

Ian Jane
11-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Kinda dumb, right? And is this being set... when? I figured it'd be pre-Psycho, right? Nobody in the US had a thing for Manga back then. Unless they're shifting it to modern day. But then look at the clothes in the picture. Doesn't look so modern day, does it?

WTF?

sukebanboy
11-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Did you read the article.....horrible news..

A&E's BATES MOTEL premieres Spring 2013, chronicling the pre-cellar Norma Bates and her relationship with young Norman. This incarnation is a present-day one with Norman working out his kinks among all the trappings of millenial youth, as well as his manipulative mother.

Showrunner Carlton Cuse (LOST) tells EW the series will give audiences a look beyond the motel and its adjoining abode.''The town itself is very much a character in the show,'' Cuse says. ''There are a lot of secrets that lurk beneath this bucolic veneer.''

Ian Jane
11-21-2012, 11:56 AM
You know I totally missed that first time around.

sukebanboy
11-21-2012, 10:02 PM
You know I totally missed that first time around.

It's the kind of thing that your brain automatically blocks when you read it.....just to protect your sanity!

Ian Jane
11-27-2012, 02:28 PM
A whole bunch of pictures of characters and sets posted here:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3204990/tv-meet-the-residents-of-bates-motel-aes-psycho-prequel/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"My Soul to Take‘s Max Thieriot will play Norman’s older brother Dylan Bates in the series. Thieriot’s Dylan has a love-hate relationship with his mother, Norma, and will return home unexpectedly to discover his family’s new residence. “Lost” alum Nestor Carbonell will reunite with Carlton Cuse on Bates, playing Sheriff Alex Romero — who is described as dark and edgy, with eyes that see everything and an unwillingness to let anyone off the hook for anything. Cloverfield‘s Mike Vogel plays Deputy Zach Shelby, a compassionate guy with an instant likability to him. Nicola Peltz will play Bradley, a girl Norman takes a liking to at school who’s described as bright and effortlessly sexy with a depth that makes her seem older than she really is. Olivia Cooke plays Emma Decody, a classmate of Norman’s with a penchant for adventure despite having a medical condition that requires her to roll a portable oxygen tank along with her. Lastly, Academy Award nominee Vera Farmiga will play the Norma Louise Bates, the complicated, passionate and compelling mother to Norman who is smart, multidimensional and always capable of surprising people."

sukebanboy
11-27-2012, 08:16 PM
No thoughts on this now then Mr Jane?

Will you be watching?

Once again I think it would be better NOT knowing much about Norman's mother before her present (dead) state....We can form our own conclusions about what she was like and behave dot Norman etc etc...DONT need it spelled out....as for his FAMILY and FRIENDS???...Do they really need to be added to the story?

I never saw that PSYCHO 4 tv prequel movee..didnt they cover that in it?...Are they going to follow THAT plot line..or forget it happened?

Ian Jane
11-27-2012, 08:24 PM
If I remember that this is on when it debuts, I'll give the first episode a shot out of morbid curiosity.

sukebanboy
11-28-2012, 12:33 AM
If I remember that this is on when it debuts, I'll give the first episode a shot out of morbid curiosity.

Better get a six-pack ready to dull the pain!!!

Ian Jane
11-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Yeah, if it sucks after 10 minutes I'll just change the channel.

FREEDOM OF CHOICE!

sukebanboy
11-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Yeah, if it sucks after 10 minutes I'll just change the channel.

But then you will NEVER KNOW if it got better or not..and it will haunt you forever!!

Mark Tolch
11-28-2012, 04:06 PM
the Psycho IV flick DID cover this, with Henry Thomas as Norman poisoning his mother and her boyfriend with Perkins narrating most of it. It wasn't great, but I did love seeing Anthony Perkins as Norman no matter how shitty it was. I don't have high-hopes for this, the whole manga thing just makes it sound like they're going to turn it into a stupid gossip girl type thing. Blargh.

sukebanboy
11-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Thought so.....

Not sure the need to delve into Normans pre-killer lifestyle.....how interesting can it be?

Mark Tolch
11-29-2012, 12:22 PM
He's gonna read some books.

Ian Jane
11-29-2012, 12:37 PM
And some comic books too.

sukebanboy
11-29-2012, 08:12 PM
At some point in the movie, he will get picked on for being "different"

Barry M
11-29-2012, 08:40 PM
So it's Smallville again?

sukebanboy
11-29-2012, 08:43 PM
So it's Smallville again?

Actually surprised they didn't come up with a name like NORMANville...or PSYCHOVILLE or something.........

Ian Jane
11-30-2012, 01:25 PM
And the first promo has popped up... it tells us nothing.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3205695/tv-a-super-brief-teaser-promo-for-bates-motel/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

sukebanboy
12-01-2012, 05:32 AM
BLANDNESS for the MASSES!!

Ian Jane
12-14-2012, 02:49 PM
There's a new featurette type clip up here (http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3207853/tv-new-bates-motel-featurette-has-first-look-at-footage-from-the-show/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter) that actually has some footage from the show in it.

sukebanboy
12-14-2012, 10:31 PM
"Meh" to all that......

Ian Jane
01-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Some new promo images for the series have surfaced online, courtesy of comingsoon.net (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=98839&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter):

Ian Jane
01-31-2013, 06:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QV1rHEwudJQ

Alex K.
02-01-2013, 12:37 AM
Is it just me or does the actor who plays Norman look eerily like the Sandy Hook shooter? I wonder if more people notice and if that will have an effect on the show.

sukebanboy
02-01-2013, 09:36 AM
The music in that "motherly love " teaser doesn't really scream "decent version of Psycho made into a TV series"..at all....

Ian Jane
02-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Is it just me or does the actor who plays Norman look eerily like the Sandy Hook shooter? I wonder if more people notice and if that will have an effect on the show.

If there's a resemblance, it seems pretty slight to me.

Ian Jane
02-12-2013, 04:03 PM
New promo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6o-dkkYG28E

Ian Jane
02-20-2013, 11:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiM4caR6jf4&feature=player_embedded

sukebanboy
03-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Reviews are rolling in ....the ones I just read are negative in all aspects...except the fact that they have recreated the sets from PSYCHO perfectly....

Ian Jane
03-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Yeah I missed it last night, completely forgot about it, but by the sounds of what I'm reading, it's not very good. Which kind of confirms our collective suspicions.

sukebanboy
03-20-2013, 12:09 PM
....and we have wasted FIVE pages talking about this one......when we knew back on page one, post one of this thread that it would suck.....and here we are...99% confirmed on the fact!!

Ian Jane
04-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/a-e-renews-bates-motel-434760?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheHollywoodReporter_Showbiz4 11+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Showbiz%29) says A&E has already renewed this for a second season.

Dom D
04-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Count me in as a fan. Only seen the first 2 episodes but I think this is quality. Shit loads of plot lines started in those 90 minutes. So many murders and general intrigue I think this is going to rival Twin Peaks for the title of "most simulataneous onrunning plot lines in a series." Occassionally it's a bit blunt in trying to put everything up on screen at once but the naunce thats there in the dialogue suggests there is some intelligence here and this is going to settle down nicely. Really liking the way they're building the relationship between Norman and his mum.

Really nicely made too. Set modern day but the production designers are having a field day making everything look 50s anyway. It's a good compromise solution I think. And it just looks nice. Traditionally shot with a nice muted colour scheme without being horribly desaturated like most programs that go that way are.

Could go anywhere but for now, I'm intrigued.

sukebanboy
04-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Count me in as a fan. Only seen the first 2 episodes but I think this is quality. Shit loads of plot lines started in those 90 minutes. So many murders and general intrigue I think this is going to rival Twin Peaks for the title of "most simulataneous onrunning plot lines in a series." Occassionally it's a bit blunt in trying to put everything up on screen at once but the naunce thats there in the dialogue suggests there is some intelligence here and this is going to settle down nicely. Really liking the way they're building the relationship between Norman and his mum.

Really nicely made too. Set modern day but the production designers are having a field day making everything look 50s anyway. It's a good compromise solution I think. And it just looks nice. Traditionally shot with a nice muted colour scheme without being horribly desaturated like most programs that go that way are.

Could go anywhere but for now, I'm intrigued.

Woah..didn't expect that response Dom D !!!!

Certainly intrigued now........might well give it a look..You're comparison with TWIN PEAKS has me more intrigued....

PLEASE NOTE...if you are messing with us, i will be on a plane straight to Oz..and i WILL find you!!!:biggrin:

Dom D
04-11-2013, 04:28 AM
Not messing with you. Comparisons to Twin Peaks aren't a million miles away. Small town full of wierd people, murders to be solved, vaguely soapy feel etc. This is definitely more conventional, a lot more conventional actually, but that's not a bad thing. Twin Peaks had moments of genius but I found it was often way too quirky for its own good.

sukebanboy
04-11-2013, 05:39 AM
Not messing with you. Comparisons to Twin Peaks aren't a million miles away. Small town full of wierd people, murders to be solved, vaguely soapy feel etc. This is definitely more conventional, a lot more conventional actually, but that's not a bad thing. Twin Peaks had moments of genius but I found it was often way too quirky for its own good.

So i will try to watch it this weekend.......DOM D ..you had better be manning your front AND back doors in case I come looking for ya....You have been warned!!!:biggrin:

Dom D
04-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Report back! Be good to hear I'm not just going insane on this one.

Just watched the next two episodes. This show moves at insane pace! More jammed into these first 4 edisode than you'd get in four series of Walking Dead. No idea on how they plan on keeping it up but it has a very preplanned feel to it so i can't wait to find out.

sukebanboy
04-15-2013, 05:31 AM
Just got through the first two episodes..

Will report back after i have seen the next two......

i WILL say for now that it is NOT really what I was expecting from a PSYCHO tv series....:biggrin:

And his NORMAN-isms are pretty good!!

sukebanboy
04-15-2013, 09:15 PM
DOM D I HATE YOU!!!:biggrin:

Got through the first four episodes and..................yeah its pretty good!

The guy who plays young Norman has his mannerisms down pretty well.....

It DOES feel like it is set in some TWIN PEAKS kind of world...but not as weird or quirky....Just the old "weird secrets of a small town" kinda stuff..

Like Dom said, loads of story lines going on parallel..not sure where they are going with them...but I hope the payoff is worth it....

If they balls up the conclusions it will totally ruin it!

So THANK YOU DOM for making me interested in this series ...and therefore wasting even ore of my time watching new shit!!!

Ian Jane
04-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Dammit, now I want to see it. But I'll wait.... entire seasons at once on DVD/Blu, that's my style, baby.

sukebanboy
04-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Dammit, now I want to see it. But I'll wait.... entire seasons at once on DVD/Blu, that's my style, baby.

Blame DOM for this!!!

We were happy dissing the very IDEA of them making this series.....until HE mentioned it wasnt bad............

Like I said before though...It only needs one tip in the wrong direction for this to turn into a mess...or even a comedy....

Dom D
04-17-2013, 03:16 AM
Like I said before though...It only needs one tip in the wrong direction for this to turn into a mess...or even a comedy....

Definitely! They're keeping a lot of balls in the air at once here and I'd be surprised if they can keep it up. At the moment though it's good telly.

sukebanboy
04-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Right, just got through episode 5........and about another 4 or 5 balls are now flying through the air!!!:biggrin:

Getting worried they wont be able to catch them all on the way down!!...but looking forward to how they do it!!

Actually glad they are going in this direction with it...keeps things interesting~!!

How many episodes are in the series?

Actually, doesn't matter as they are going to make another series

Dom D
04-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Just looked it up on imdb which says this will be a 10 episode series.

Halfway through episode 6 I assumed we were watching the seasons finale as it tied off so much in super dramatic fashion. Continue to be amazed at the pace of this show. Story lines I expected to carry on for weeks keep getting tied off in half an hour without feeling totally unnatural. There's been a few big plot holes but I think a lot of people aren't even going to pick them up and one of the deaths this week closes them over anyway. Once again no idea where they're going with this next week but until Sherlock comes back this is my favourite show on telly by a fair margin.

Mark Tolch
04-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Goddammit, I might have to check this dumb bullshit out.

sukebanboy
04-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Just looked it up on imdb which says this will be a 10 episode series.

Halfway through episode 6 I assumed we were watching the seasons finale as it tied off so much in super dramatic fashion. Continue to be amazed at the pace of this show. Story lines I expected to carry on for weeks keep getting tied off in half an hour without feeling totally unnatural. There's been a few big plot holes but I think a lot of people aren't even going to pick them up and one of the deaths this week closes them over anyway. Once again no idea where they're going with this next week but until Sherlock comes back this is my favourite show on telly by a fair margin.

just finished watching episode 6...and gotta agree with ya....

The pace is flying along..as are the plot twists....Still worry they wont be able to tie up everything ok...but doing a damn fine job so far....and yeah, the plot holes just get steamed over before you have a chance to pick them apart....

Nice to see young Norman becoming more and more like the movie Norman too!

sukebanboy
05-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Whew....Episode s7 and 8 have slowed things down a bit..Still some interesting twists and new characters, but finally taking a bit of a pause.....in order (i think) to go all out for the conclusion to the series....

The end of episode 8 has set up what looks like a great final two episodes....Still interested in how they will wrap it up..but looking a bit more plausible mostly due to the introduction of a new strange character....

Fingers crossed they dont balls up the conclusion!

sukebanboy
05-14-2013, 09:11 AM
EPISODE 9..Penultimate episode for season 1....

Another quiet one with not much forward motion...Next week is the season finale, so looking like all roads lead to that episode

Still a few unanswered questions, but the kinetic speed and intrigue brought on in the first half-dozen episodes has defintitely gone......Although you are starting ot see more and more of the "Anthony Perkins" Norman Bates emerging every week....

Hoping for a return to the frantic WTF-ness of the first few episodes to return for the Finale.....

Ian Jane
05-22-2013, 10:12 AM
There's an interview with the series creator here (http://horrornews.net/72534/creator-of-bates-motel-talks-season-two/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HorrorNewsnet+%28Horror+News. net+|+Horror+News+and+Upcoming+Horror+Movies+Sourc e%29) in which he talks about plans for season two.

There are some spoilers there for those who haven't seen S1 all the way through.

I caught part of an episode the other night while channel surfing, and it intrigued me enough that I turned it off so that I can watch all of it in sequence once the Blu comes out. I'm glad to see this has turned out to be worth watching.

Dom D
05-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Well that was a decent final epsidoe I guess. I got the impression watching this that the first 6 episodes were a lot more preplanned than what came afterwards. Almost like they were originally making a six episode series and then quickly had to come up with a new story for the last four. Still slowing down a fear gears only reduced to the speed of a regular tv drama so it was fine by me.

Great character work on this series. Probably Norman's one time fuck buddy Bradley was the only character who did'nt really grab me. The central pair of Norma and Norman are expertly written, mulit layered characters played well particularly by Vera Farmiga. It's the minor characters who really show the effort being put into this series though. So many good ones. Love Olivia Cooke as the girl Norman should be shagging and Nestor Carbonnell's scenes with Farmiga have been the highlight of the last few episodes. And how fucking creepy in a totally understated manner was his teacher?

The one thing I wish is that this didn't have Psycho hanging over the top of it. Knowing where Norman's heading strips the show of a bit of its mystery but I guess the final cliff hanger this week makes that point null and void anyway.

Pumped for season 2.

Mark Tolch
05-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Well that was a decent final epsidoe I guess. I got the impression watching this that the first 6 episodes were a lot more preplanned than what came afterwards. Almost like they were originally making a six episode series and then quickly had to come up with a new story for the last four. Still slowing down a fear gears only reduced to the speed of a regular tv drama so it was fine by me.

Great character work on this series. Probably Norman's one time fuck buddy Bradley was the only character who did'nt really grab me. The central pair of Norma and Norman are expertly written, mulit layered characters played well particularly by Vera Farmiga. It's the minor characters who really show the effort being put into this series though. So many good ones. Love Olivia Cooke as the girl Norman should be shagging and Nestor Carbonnell's scenes with Farmiga have been the highlight of the last few episodes. And how fucking creepy in a totally understated manner was his teacher?

The one thing I wish is that this didn't have Psycho hanging over the top of it. Knowing where Norman's heading strips the show of a bit of its mystery but I guess the final cliff hanger this week makes that point null and void anyway.

Yeah, it would've been a little more mysterious if not for the PSYCHO connection because of the obviously crazy boyfriend that called her halfway through the show. That teacher was a little creepy, but man, I certainly wouldn't begrudge her for leaving the door open. :)

My problem with the series is that because of the connection to PSYCHO, I'm torn on liking the characters. Everytime they make Norma sympathetic, I think, well, we know she ends up dead, anyway. The writers have got to sorta tow the line set by the films...well, I think they do, anyway. Agreed that the supporting characters make the show for the most part. When the taxidermist showed up, I was like, "Is that bald John Lennon?" (Ian Hart). I didn't like when they had Norman do the rats in a maze speech...because it's set in more of an alternate universe, I like the idea that for the most part, I'm not reminded of Anthony Perkins, because nobody can top that guy.

I didn't think that the first season was anything revolutionary, but it was decent enough for me to be interested in Season 2. I hope that this last one was just a starting point and it gets stronger.

sukebanboy
05-26-2013, 06:13 AM
I got the impression watching this that the first 6 episodes were a lot more preplanned than what came afterwards. Almost like they were originally making a six episode series and then quickly had to come up with a new story for the last four.

I will agree with this!!!

First 6 episodes went off like gangbusters....new characters .....people being killed...strange things going on...was great...then kinda slowed down so the plot wasnt really going in ten different ideas at once.....Kinda sad they couldnt keep up the pace set by those first 6 episodes....would have been a FANTASTIC series if they could!!!

Not seen the last episode yet......but I am not really that bothered about the shadow of PSYCHO hanging over it because it will be cool to see HOW they get there...

Also, I have a feeling they MIGHT pull the rug from under every one and take it in another direction...That would be cool!

sukebanboy
05-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Right...well, just seen the final episode of the first series......

Ties up a few loose ends....added a bit of story for a few of the characters and also gave a good indication about where series 2 is heading...

I hope they really make it ALL batshit crazy like the first 6 episodes of series one was.....If they can keep it up through all the series, it will be AMAZING

Ian Jane
06-30-2013, 12:54 PM
Season One comes out on Blu-ray 9/17/13. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DNUSFRE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00DNUSFRE&linkCode=as2&tag=cognitrespon-20)

"From the producers of Lost and Friday Night Lights comes the thrilling Bates Motel: Season One on Blu-ray and DVD. A modern day re-imagining of the classic film "Psycho," Bates Motel looks at Norman Bates' teenage years and just how deeply intricate his relationship with his mother, Norma, truly is and how she helped forge the most famous serial killer of them all. Starring Academy Award nominee Vera Farmiga (Up in the Air) and Freddie Highmore (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), watch every spine-tingling episode back-to-back and uninterrupted of the series critics are calling, "Moody, twisty, creepy and gloriously insane" (Los Angeles Times). "

No extras or cover art yet.

Ian Jane
07-26-2013, 10:16 AM

Ian Jane
07-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Blu-ray trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyGVtbbLRyc

Press release!

FROM THE PRODUCERS OF “LOST” AND “FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS” COMES

“Bates Motel”: Season One

AVAILABLE SEPTEMBER 17, 2013 ON BLU-RAY™ AND DVD EACH WITH DIGITAL INCLUDING ULTRAVIOLET™

FROM UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

“…PUTS OTHER TELEVISION DRAMAS TO SHAME.” – HUFFINGTON POST

Universal City, California, June 27, 2013 – Academy Award® nominee Vera Farmiga (Up in the Air) and Freddie Highmore (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) star in “Bates Motel”: Season One, a contemporary prequel to the genre-defining film, Psycho. “Bates Motel”: Season One will be available to own on Blu-ray™ and DVD, each with Digital including Ultraviolet™ on September 17, 2013 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

From the producers of “Lost” and “Friday Night Lights” comes the “moody, twisty, creepy and gloriously insane” (Mary McNamara, Los Angeles Times) “Bates Motel”: Season One. This re-imagining of one of Alfred Hitchcock’s beloved masterpieces weaves a web of deception, murder, and unexpected twists in a small town where nothing is what it seems.

“Bates Motel”: Season One also stars Nestor Carbonell (Lost), Max Thieriot (House at the End of the Street), Mike Vogel (Cloverfield), Nicola Peltz (The Last Airbender) and Olivia Cooke (Blackout). Filled with gruesome horrors, nail-biting suspense, and an eerie visual landscape ideal for Blu-ray™ Hi-Def, experience all 10 episodes back-to-back and uninterrupted of the hit series critics say is “impossible to look away” (Mary McNamara, Los Angeles Times). The Blu-ray™ and DVD also include a set of collector cards featuring artwork from the show (“Jiao’s Sketchbook”) for a limited time only.

"Bates Motel" was A&E's most-watched original drama series debut in the network’s history. Be sure to watch more drama unfold with season two on A&E in 2014.

Blu-ray™ disc unleashes the power of your HDTV and is the best way to watch movies at home, featuring perfect hi-def picture and hi-def sound. Digital including UltraViolet™ is a revolutionary new way for fans to collect their movies and TV shows in the cloud. UltraViolet™ lets consumers instantly stream and download to tablets, smartphones, computers and TVs.

EXCLUSIVE BONUS FEATURES (BLU-RAY™ and DVD):

· DELETED SCENES

· FEATURETTE: Paley Center Panel Discussion with the Cast and Creative Team

TECHNICAL INFORMATION – BLU-RAY™:

Street Date: September 17, 2013

Copyright: 2013 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.

Selection Number: 61127663

Running time: 7 Hours 46 Minutes

Layers: BD-50

Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 Widescreen

Rating: N/A

Languages/Subtitles: English SDH

Sound: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

TECHNICAL INFORMATION – DVD:

Street Date: September 17, 2013

Copyright: 2013 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.

Selection Number: 61126439

Running time: 7 Hours 46 Minutes

Layers: Dual Layer

Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 Anamorphic Widescreen

Rating: N/A

Languages/Subtitles: English SDH

Sound: Dolby Digital 5.1

Ian Jane
09-14-2013, 11:46 AM
So we're three episodes in and it's starting to get interesting. I have to say that I don't know how well it works as a prequel to the original Hitchcock movie though I'm not sure it's even trying, despite the fact that the series has made some interesting nods to what Norman Bates would grow into in that movie. Good cast, neat 'weird small town' atmosphere that kinda reminds me of Twin Peaks, and some interesting twists.

Ian Jane
10-07-2013, 01:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJfIQCFB29I

Ian Jane
10-22-2013, 12:37 PM
So.... season two will feature the fruit cellar. (http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/71529/expect-see-familiar-set-bates-motel-season-2?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#axzz2iTAevwi2)

"Per TV Guide, in its second season A&E's "Bates Motel" will introduce the infamous fruit cellar where Mother's stuffed body was revealed at the conclusion of Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho. "There are many creepy things down there," says Freddie Highmore, whose Norman will turn the basement into his private taxidermy studio."

I guess that's kinda news.

Ian Jane
11-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Not terribly exciting but EW posted the 'first image' to go public from Season Two.

Ian Jane
11-29-2013, 11:03 AM
New S2 promo online here (http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3266766/tv-bates-motel-season-2-teaser-opens-for-business/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tv-bates-motel-season-2-teaser-opens-for-business).

sukebanboy
12-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Not much to go on there.....But I hope they go back to the batshit non-stop weirdness that was the first 4 or 5 episodes of the first series....If they can do that they may have the BEST tv series ever!!

Ian Jane
12-06-2013, 03:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BgIC_APZsM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g74oN71AVg4

Ian Jane
01-01-2014, 11:03 PM
Season Two officially starts March 3rd, 2014. (http://horrornews.net/80393/bates-motel-gets-2014-opening-date/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

sukebanboy
01-02-2014, 05:42 AM
Season Two officially starts March 3rd, 2014. (http://horrornews.net/80393/bates-motel-gets-2014-opening-date/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Arrgghhh...how do they expect me to wait that long???????:hmph:

Ian Jane
01-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Some images from S2 popped up online here.

http://www.horrorbid.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=273&t=25104&ptm=1

Ian Jane
01-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Some teaser footage from S2 online here (http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3272733/tv-theaters-show-bates-motel-season-2-sneak/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tv-theaters-show-bates-motel-season-2-sneak).

Ian Jane
01-16-2014, 10:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rJRXzDUnM4

sukebanboy
01-16-2014, 10:42 AM
REALLY REALLY REALLY hope this is good!

Ian Jane
01-22-2014, 12:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkdCzXzHWBk

Ian Jane
02-19-2014, 12:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4ZK6Ip0JFE

Ian Jane
02-20-2014, 12:05 PM
“Picking up from last season, Norman (Freddie Highmore) is fixating on Miss Watson’s death while Norma’s mysterious past starts to haunt the family with the introduction of her brother. Meanwhile, Norman’s brother Dylan, (Max Thieriot), gets more entrenched in the familial drug war that fuels White Pine Bay and finds himself right in the middle of the danger as Bradley (Nicola Peltz), who remains on the hunt to uncover her father’s killer, is driven to precarious extremes. Sheriff Romero (Nestor Carbonell), is caught up on all fronts as everything in town escalates and Emma (Olivia Cooke) complicates her relationship with Norman as the duo explore new love interests, bringing new and old characters along for the ride.“

Source. (http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3279540/tv-a-happy-ending-for-bates-motel/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tv-a-happy-ending-for-bates-motel)

Dom D
03-20-2014, 01:40 AM
A few episodes into the second season and not feeling this one yet. Seems to be a lot of people crying and getting generally emotional and not a huge amount of action and mystery. Possibly the problem with this show is the more you know the less interesting it is. Like the sherriff was a nicely enigmatic figure in the first season now he's looking like a fairly generic good guy who just happens to be looking the other way on a few things. Going to need something big soon to get the momentum going again.

Ian Jane
04-07-2014, 04:43 PM
A&E has extended the series for a third season.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3287317/tv-bates-motels-drama-expands-into-third-season/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tv-bates-motels-drama-expands-into-third-season

Mark Tolch
04-08-2014, 08:32 AM
I'm not feeling this one, either. Some interesting plotlines that seem to go nowhere. And did you see the way they filmed that drive-by? Small town drive by and casual people walking around in the background like nothing is going on? Sloppy.

Ian Jane
08-04-2014, 09:02 AM
S2 cover art.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51O2bODtTTL.jpg

sukebanboy
08-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Never bothered with season 2 after the first season went a bit shitty halfway through....

Anyone recommend me to watch season 2???? Worth it?

Mark Tolch
08-04-2014, 04:33 PM
I didn't much like Season 2, myself.

Dom D
08-04-2014, 06:08 PM
I thought in the last few episodes it found it's groove. You gotta make your way through a lot of dross to get there though. Still there are good signs for next season. I remain hoipeful. Someones got to.

Ian Jane
10-22-2014, 09:15 AM
Half way through S2 right now and yeah, I can see why some might give up because it's getting pretty preposterous (I just wanted to use that word) and over the top but I think the performances still save it and I'm definitely curious as to where it's going.

I still think Vera Farmiga is really, really good in this show. I guess I should finish the season before judging.

I did think the scene where Norman confronted Caleb in the hotel room and spoke as Norma was actually pretty creepy.

I also like the fact that although the hotel is doing well now, they still haven't bothered to paint the house. To me the Bates house should always look like that.

Paul L
11-15-2014, 05:48 AM
I've got one episode of season two to watch. The first few episodes are fine if you accept that they don't focus on Norma(n), but are quite frustrating if you expect the series to focus on that relationship. The last few episodes that I've watched have been a distinct improvement, however, with the gradual revelations about Norman's internalisation of 'Mother' - especially in 'The Box', which offers the most explicit examination of this them.

The series is pretty trashy, imo, but it's enjoyable trash. Farmiga is very good throughout (I love her hysterical outbursts, which escalate as the season progresses), but I like Highmore's purse-lipped, prissy performance too. The actor I'm most enjoying in the show, however, is Nestor Carbonell, who I only previously remember from that dreadful sitcom with Brooke Shields from the 1990s. He's great as Romano, I think - a truly ambiguous character.

Dom D
11-15-2014, 07:10 AM
The actor I'm most enjoying in the show, however, is Nestor Carbonell, who I only previously remember from that dreadful sitcom with Brooke Shields from the 1990s. He's great as Romano, I think - a truly ambiguous character.

He's my favourite performer in this one too. He actually turned out pretty much the exact same character in Ringer but he did make a great Batmauel on The Tick many years ago.

Ian Jane
11-15-2014, 12:12 PM
Ha, we just finished up S2 last night and once we were through with it, yeah, it was Carbonell who really stands out as the best part. Farmiga and Highmore are great and I still think Olivia Cooke is just as cute as a button here (even if she's getting increasingly nosey!) but the character arc with Sheriff Romero in the last few episodes is really good stuff. Like Paul says, it's trashy for sure and frequently preposterous but I don't really care about that so long as it entertains me and yeah, this entertains me. A lot.

Bring on S3!

Ian Jane
12-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Joshua Leonard has been added to the cast for S3 according to Deadline (http://deadline.com/2014/12/joshua-leonard-bates-motel-gbenga-akinnagbe-the-following-1201306865/).

Ian Jane
01-20-2015, 04:59 PM
Weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TO12MVSPng

Anthony A
05-13-2015, 11:02 AM
Season 1 - great

Season 2 - a snoozefest

Season 3 - back to great! Creepy as HELL! The chemistry between Vera Farmiga and Freddy Highmore is simply astounding!

Anthony

Dom D
05-13-2015, 11:23 PM
Agreed! Season 2 really did lose its way, mostly I think because it didn't really even feel like a Psycho story. It was just filler. This one really pushes the story along to the conclusion we know is coming while still having some surprising tricks up its sleeve. Top television.

The one thing that bothers me is that damned oxygen bottle the cute girl drags along. Seems like every show these days has someone with one. Every time I see them I feel like yelling at the screen that that's not the way that's done. She even carts it around at home. Her dad must spend all day refilling the bottles and carting them back and forth from the store.

Mark Tolch
05-14-2015, 07:51 PM
Oxygen tank aside, yes. This season eas a huuuuuge step up from last season. I love the sidestories they're developing as well. For a show I was convinced was going to suck balls, it's doing great. As I think about how it factors in to the film as well, it makes me realize how amazing and timeless PSYCHO is

Ian Jane
10-17-2015, 02:33 PM
Welp, season three is now in our possession. Late to the party, which is part for the course with our TV viewing habits, but late is better than never. And season four starts soon... and given that it was renewed for seasons four AND five, I guess we've got at least two more years of it.

Ian Jane
11-07-2015, 04:21 PM
So, anyone else who finished season three - pretty decent stuff, lots of nutty twists and turns - but is it just me or did Norman go from slightly unhinged to 'Psycho' very quickly in this season? I get that the seperation anxiety he'd feel from what happens with Norma might accelerate it but this seemed to be going at light speed in the last few episodes.

Also I think bringing Brandy back was dumb. But by the last episode it doesn't matter so I'll shut up.

Randy G
11-07-2015, 07:31 PM
I've wondered if this was any good, will be another to add to my watch list.

Ian Jane
01-18-2016, 11:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSx5hDYoEgk

Alison Jane
01-18-2016, 12:30 PM
I've wondered if this was any good, will be another to add to my watch list.

We really enjoy it.

Ian Jane
07-28-2016, 10:53 AM
Source. (http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bates-Motel-Season-4/22508)

"Universal Studios Home Entertainment has scheduled Bates Motel - Season 4 to be in stores on October 18th. The 3-disc DVD version can be pre-ordered at Amazon and will cost $44.98 SRP. The 2-disc Blu-ray version is also up for pre-order for a list price of $49.98 SRP. Both will include Deleted Scenes and English SDH subtitles. The Blu-ray version will also include UltraViolet digital copies of the episodes. Package art isn't available yet, but stay tuned!"

So S1 and S2 and S4 are Blu-ray or DVD but S3 was and remains DVD only. That sets my OCD off.

BAH!

Amazon link. (http://amzn.to/2agaOTH)

Alison Jane
07-28-2016, 02:44 PM
That's pretty stupid. What's the reason?

Ian Jane
07-28-2016, 02:51 PM
No idea.

Paul L
07-28-2016, 03:04 PM
Source. (http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bates-Motel-Season-4/22508)

"Universal Studios Home Entertainment has scheduled Bates Motel - Season 4 to be in stores on October 18th. The 3-disc DVD version can be pre-ordered at Amazon and will cost $44.98 SRP. The 2-disc Blu-ray version is also up for pre-order for a list price of $49.98 SRP. Both will include Deleted Scenes and English SDH subtitles. The Blu-ray version will also include UltraViolet digital copies of the episodes. Package art isn't available yet, but stay tuned!"

So S1 and S2 and S4 are Blu-ray or DVD but S3 was and remains DVD only. That sets my OCD off.

BAH!

Amazon link. (http://amzn.to/2agaOTH)
FWIW, Season 3 is available on Blu-ray in the UK, Ian: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bates-Motel-Season-3-Blu-ray/dp/B00W3JQXDE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469732590&sr=8-1&keywords=bates+motel+season+3+blu-ray

Alison Jane
01-17-2017, 07:50 PM
Three episodes in and season four is intense!

Ian Jane
01-18-2017, 11:11 AM
Five episodes in and it's even more intense!

Freddie Highmore is really impressive when he turns from Norman to Norma. His body language completely changes, it's creepy and weird and really solid acting on his part.

Dom D
01-18-2017, 05:20 PM
I thought season 4 was really strong. It's a very up and down show but that was maybe the strongest since the first.

Alison Jane
01-18-2017, 05:24 PM
I hate how short some of these shows are. I love being able to watch a whole series all at once, but when it's done in a few weeks, it's kind of depressing!

sukebanboy
01-18-2017, 05:55 PM
I gave up on this show somewhere around the middle of season 2.....

Season one was great and full of WTF moments...but season 2 seemed to slow down and the 'weird' Twin~Peaks~Town kinda fizzled out...and so did my interest:haha:

Guess I might have to give it another go one day soon.....

Ian Jane
02-01-2017, 12:36 PM
From Vera Farmiga's twitter feed - last day of shooting for the final season just wrapped.

sukebanboy
02-01-2017, 04:58 PM
Its REALLY gonna be the final season?

If so, I will catch up with this tv show. I thought they might just be dragginf it out as long as they possibly could...

Alison Jane
02-01-2017, 05:01 PM
Awwww, that's lousy.

Dom D
02-01-2017, 05:45 PM
Its REALLY gonna be the final season?

If so, I will catch up with this tv show. I thought they might just be dragginf it out as long as they possibly could...

With where they left it at the end of season 4 this one pretty much has to be the last season. Actually I'm not even sure how they are going ot do the last season. It will certainly require a reinvention.

Ian Jane
02-01-2017, 05:51 PM
Well, it should lead into Norman being where he's at in the first Psycho, so if it is going to do that, I can see a few ways that they might make this work given how S4 ended. Won't get into heavy spoilers here but when Psycho starts, he is running the hotel by himself and no longer locked up. I assume S5 will end with that? Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Alison Jane
02-01-2017, 06:05 PM
I have a question...

If Norma dies young why does she sound like an old lady in the movie?

sukebanboy
02-01-2017, 10:23 PM
I have a question...

If Norma dies young why does she sound like an old lady in the movie?

Probably just how Norman imagines her getting older as he does..

Alison Jane
02-02-2017, 08:12 AM
Probably just how Norman imagines her getting older as he does..

I feel like he'd keep her young and perfect.

sukebanboy
02-02-2017, 09:48 AM
I feel like he'd keep her young and perfect.

Good point.

Will be interesting to see how exactly they finish up the series....will it lead straight into PSYCHO...or will they leave a gap between them?

Roderick
02-02-2017, 12:03 PM
It's just way more fun to do a fake old lady voice. The more like Kate Hepburn the better.

Alison Jane
02-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Good point.

Will be interesting to see how exactly they finish up the series....will it lead straight into PSYCHO...or will they leave a gap between them?

Do they reference Norma's age at death in the films? I don't remember small details like that.

Mark Tolch
02-02-2017, 01:52 PM
The reference to death in the films refers to poisoning. As much as I enjoyed the show, it's no Psycho...or Psycho II? It's not hard to disassociate the two franchises, for me, anyway.

Dom D
02-02-2017, 03:47 PM
Well, it should lead into Norman being where he's at in the first Psycho, so if it is going to do that, I can see a few ways that they might make this work given how S4 ended. Won't get into heavy spoilers here but when Psycho starts, he is running the hotel by himself and no longer locked up. I assume S5 will end with that? Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Definitely. The thing is though it was Norma's always show. Highmore's great as Norman but I don't think that character can carry a show. It would just be too unpleasant to be stuck with him for most of the hour every week. I guess Farmiga will be hanging round as a ghost but has that ever been succesful? I was just watching an extremely disappointing Sherlock where a dead character was hanging round in ghost format and it was a bit of a reminder of how annoying that device is whenever it is used. And it's used a lot. Admittedly it makes more sense here.

Mark Tolch
02-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Definitely. The thing is though it was Norma's always show. Highmore's great as Norman but I don't think that character can carry a show. It would just be too unpleasant to be stuck with him for most of the hour every week. I guess Farmiga will be hanging round as a ghost but has that ever been succesful? I was just watching an extremely disappointing Sherlock where a dead character was hanging round in ghost format and it was a bit of a reminder of how annoying that device is whenever it is used. And it's used a lot. Admittedly it makes more sense here.

Don't get me started on Sherlock....

Anyway, yeah. Farmiga was the standout, here. Highmore was okay, but I'm not watching Perkins and thinking about the time that his brother took on the guy from Sons of Anarchy over a weed deal gone wrong. Kudos to the makers of the show for keeping it going for this long, and good for Freddie Highmore, but never shall the two...show and film....meet.

Alison Jane
02-02-2017, 04:25 PM
Lots of flashbacks, I'm guessing.

Mark Tolch
02-15-2017, 08:33 PM
A&E has announced that this last round will be a "season-long adaptation of Robert Bloch's PSYCHO."

I've read the book a bunch, there's a lot that didn't make it into Hitchcock's film....but as a fan of the show, this is disappointing.

Ian Jane
02-18-2017, 11:10 AM
A&E has announced that this last round will be a "season-long adaptation of Robert Bloch's PSYCHO."

I've read the book a bunch, there's a lot that didn't make it into Hitchcock's film....but as a fan of the show, this is disappointing.

Yeah I was kind of hoping that they'd lead up to Psycho and sort of end it that way rather than go into the book/movie itself. I've got enough faith in the cast and creative team though that I'll still check it out.

Mark Tolch
02-18-2017, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I'll watch it, but....

Dom D
04-25-2017, 06:23 PM
I thought that was a damned good wrap up to the show. I didn't think they could do a last season without Farmiga there as a real person as she was the best thing on the show but they pulled it off anyway. Enjoyed the bait and switch with Marion Crane. I like watching storytellers play games. That was a good one. All up a pretty good series I'd say. Crack first series. Got a bit lame there in the middle but bought it home strong in the last couple seasons.

Mark Tolch
04-26-2017, 06:40 PM
I didn't see that one coming.

Anthony A
04-27-2017, 09:43 AM
Loved Bates Motel!

They did a fantastic job with the last season and the way they ended the series was brilliant and fitting! It was way better than the way many other shows have ended (Dexter for example)

I literally cried when it ended!

Anthony

Ian Jane
07-06-2017, 10:36 AM
Final season hits Blu-ray in Sept. (http://amzn.to/2sQ5pfE)

Ian Jane
10-23-2017, 03:12 PM
We finished it last night. I agree that it was a very fitting end. Quite moving in its way. The performances have been strong since the first season but man did Highmore and Farmiga really bring their A-game to this last round. Impressive stuff. It definitely took things in a few directions that I didn't expect it to, while still clearly tying into the 'Psycho' story rather well. Kept me guessing right up until the end.