PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King: SHINING 2 (Doctor Sleep)

sukebanboy
09-19-2012, 06:47 AM
Just read KING will release his follow up to THE SHINING next year...

'Doctor Sleep' will be unleashed on September 24, 2013, the follow-up to his original 1977 novel, which was then adapted for the screen by Stanley Kubrick in 1980.

The book centres around Danny Torrance, the boy from the original book, and son of Jack Torrance, the deranged hotel caretaker played by Jack Nicholson in the film.

The plot follows Danny, now a middle-aged hospice worker and recovering alcoholic, as he settles in a New Hampshire town.

In his work, he helps patients to die painlessly using his powers of 'shining'.

He also befriends a young girl who possesses the same powers as him.

But he and his new charge are soon pursued by a shadowy tribe of 'psychic vampires' called The True Knot, who feed on the energy produced by children with the shining.

Not so sure about the PSYCHIC VAMPIRES bit...but then again, I dont recall much of the original book anyway!

Andrew Monroe
09-19-2012, 08:08 AM
Yeah, I read about this not too long ago. I don't have high expectations for this, I just don't think revisiting an old character is a good idea here. There's no need for a sequel and his style has changed pretty dramatically since the original book. After pretty much giving up on King, I think his last couple of books have been damn good - Under The Dome and 11/22/63. Long, ambitious books but not daunting to read, in fact they're the kind you look forward to getting in bed with and are sorry to finish.

sukebanboy
09-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Sad to say I too have given up on King's writings from quite a while a go..

However, seeing as you described those two books as
Long, ambitious books but not daunting to read, in fact they're the kind you look forward to getting in bed with and are sorry to finish. i may have to pick them up...as these are some of the King characteristics that have been sorely missing for a long time...

Zane C.
09-19-2012, 08:46 AM
I may read this, but count me in as another person who doesn't have high hopes. King's writing started to go downhill at about GERALD'S GAME, and I tuned out right after. His first few novels were great, then it kinda dropped off, IMO.

I've also thought King is a better short story writer/novella writer than a novelist for a long time as well. His short stories are usually very good.

Ian Jane
09-19-2012, 08:54 AM
I'll definitely check it out just out of sheer curiosity, but yeah, I'm not really all that excited about this... psychic vampires?

Ian Jane
09-19-2012, 08:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Dd2lf88w-8g

Barry M
09-19-2012, 09:08 AM
This is going to be great.

Scott
09-19-2012, 11:17 AM
This is going to be great.

It's going to be great--!

So dense, every frame ....

Mark Tolch
09-19-2012, 11:29 AM
11/22/63 was pretty good. A little long, but some interesting ideas that were executed well.

Alex K.
09-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Who cares?

Todd Jordan
09-19-2012, 03:03 PM
I think his accident caused his writing to suffer. Read the Dark Tower series and you'll see a very distinct line in the way he wrote pre-accident compared to post-accident.

Andrew Monroe
09-19-2012, 04:21 PM
There's probably some truth to that - Cell was an interesting concept but it got ass-puckering bad as it went along till it bottomed out with the crazy people fucking floating around in the air. I think his writing really suffered in the 80s when he was a full-on cokehead and alcoholic. All that said, imo he's bounced back with the last two books. They're the best things I've read from him since the heydays of Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Stand, etc.

Todd Jordan
09-19-2012, 05:38 PM
I liked the concept of Cell, but hated where it went.

sukebanboy
09-19-2012, 09:07 PM
If this one does well maybe he will do follow ups to some of his other famous books too:nono:?

Barry M
09-19-2012, 11:00 PM
This raises the question, now that Kubrick is dead, who will be the living Kubrick who will film this?

But really, I am just happy if this means that he can see again.

Ian Jane
09-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Speaking of King, the cover art for Joyland is kind of cool...

Barry M
09-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Hard Case is great. The Colorado Kid was interesting; it was good to see a short novel from King, even if it was maybe just an overgrown short story.

Andrew Monroe
09-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I was so bummed when they shut down, glad they are back. I have all of the republished classics, have skipped a few of the originals. I did like the earlier King, haven't read this new one yet. King himself directly contacted the publisher, Charles Ardai, to tell him they must continue the HCC line.

Todd Jordan
09-20-2012, 12:38 PM
That cover is way awesome.

Barry M
09-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Joyland > Funhouse. I hope it's not really by Dean Koontz.

Travis Sheldon
09-24-2012, 01:16 AM
This raises the question, now that Kubrick is dead, who will be the living Kubrick who will film this?

Uwe Boll?

Ian Jane
02-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Full description now live: (http://www.bookdepository.com/Doctor-Sleep-Stephen-King/9781444761160)

"An epic war between good and evil, a gory, glorious story that will thrill the millions of hyper-devoted readers of The Shining and wildly satisfy anyone new to the territory of this icon in the King canon. King says he wanted to know what happened to Danny Torrance, the boy at the heart of The Shining, after his terrible experience in the Overlook Hotel. The instantly riveting Doctor Sleep picks up the story of the now middle-aged Dan, working at a hospice in rural New Hampshire, and the very special twelve-year old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals. On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless - mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and tween Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the 'steam' that children with the 'shining' produce when they are slowly tortured to death. Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father's legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him and a job at a nursing home where his remnant 'shining' power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes 'Doctor Sleep.' Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan's own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra's soul and survival ..."

Official release date is 9/24/13.

Scott
02-01-2013, 11:54 AM
"Aided by a prescient cat, ..."

Scott
02-01-2013, 11:56 AM
This sounds so stupid.

Roderick
02-01-2013, 12:30 PM
I think I went blind reading that.

Mark Tolch
02-01-2013, 12:45 PM
I just shot myself in the eye-centre of the brain.

Ian Jane
02-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Cover art!

And if you go here...

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/king07

...you can see some art previews from the already sold out Cemetery Dance limited edition version.

bgart13
02-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Pass.

Randy G
02-07-2013, 05:45 AM
"Aided by a prescient cat, ..."

Exact same line blew my mind as well.

Scott
02-21-2013, 04:13 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/21vubk.jpg

Mark Tolch
02-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Where's Dick Whittington when you need him?

Ian Jane
02-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Where's Dick Whittington when you need him?

It seems he turned into a hot blonde chick and moved to Europe.

Mark Tolch
02-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Wow. That's way better than Sandy Duncan as Peter Pan.

sukebanboy
03-07-2013, 08:58 AM
I prefer this one...
http://www.ayoungertheatre.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Dick-Whittington-Bollywood1.gif

Ian Jane
06-21-2013, 11:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsmyZGrS91A&feature=player_embedded

Ian Jane
08-12-2013, 04:36 PM
So the AARP website of all places has a lengthy excerpt from Doctor Sleep up on its website for anyone wanting to sample this before plunking down for it.

http://www.aarp.org/entertainment/books/info-08-2013/stephen-king-doctor-sleep-excerpt.html

Mark Tolch
08-12-2013, 04:50 PM
So the AARP website of all places has a lengthy excerpt from Doctor Sleep up on its website for anyone wanting to sample this before plunking down for it.

http://www.aarp.org/entertainment/books/info-08-2013/stephen-king-doctor-sleep-excerpt.html

So....it's hardly reading the actual book, and I've hardly had an open mind to this, but does anyone else think this sounds like it was written by a child, or, at the very least, a very bad writer? The structure, the short sentences that are almost fragments, are not what I would've expected.

Zane C.
08-12-2013, 07:52 PM
So....it's hardly reading the actual book, and I've hardly had an open mind to this, but does anyone else think this sounds like it was written by a child, or, at the very least, a very bad writer? The structure, the short sentences that are almost fragments, are not what I would've expected.

Pretty much. DOCTOR SLEEP just about put me TO sleep.

It might be time for ol' Steve to hang it up already.

Scott
08-12-2013, 09:09 PM
It could be, and I'm just tossing out a guest here, but maybe just maybe it has something to do with Stephen King going blind?!

Scott
08-12-2013, 09:17 PM
... tossing out a guest here,

I'm also going blinds.

Toyboy
08-12-2013, 10:06 PM
It helps if you picture this Danny whilst reading the new book...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/matthewallison/n6115567629416610927114_zps194ddbb7.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/matthewallison/media/n6115567629416610927114_zps194ddbb7.jpg.html)

Todd Jordan
08-12-2013, 10:13 PM
There's no fucking way THAT kid could ever have come out of Rebecca DeMornay's cootch. He ruined the mini series.

Mark Tolch
12-06-2013, 11:37 AM
So, this is actually getting some pretty stellar reviews. Anyone here check it out yet?

Todd Jordan
12-06-2013, 12:02 PM
My brother is a big reader and King fan and he says its good so far. That is his review, so I cannot claim it.

Zane C.
12-06-2013, 10:31 PM
So, this is actually getting some pretty stellar reviews. Anyone here check it out yet?

I'm about a quarter of the way into the book. It's not bad. I went into this with very low expectations. It seems like "old King" writing, which is not a bad thing, given King's novels since GERALD'S GAME has been complete and utter literary shit.

Personally, and I've mentioned this before, I think he's a better short story writer. In fact, in that area, he's one of the best American authors ever.

Newt Cox
12-06-2013, 10:58 PM
I'm about a quarter of the way into the book. It's not bad. I went into this with very low expectations. It seems like "old King" writing, which is not a bad thing, given King's novels since GERALD'S GAME has been complete and utter literary shit.

Personally, and I've mentioned this before, I think he's a better short story writer. In fact, in that area, he's one of the best American authors ever.

Outside of Black House,the short story and novella collections and the Dark Tower stuff I agree. King's last decade or so of stuff has been subpar.

It use to be wherever he put out a new book I would buy it the first day in hardback. Now unless it is Dark Tower related or a collection of short stories/novellas, I just wait and get it used. It feels like whoever his editor is refuses to get him to cut out some of the bloat his novels suffer from. Plus most of the more modern stories have horrible endings. Didn't he pretty much apologize for how bad the "Under the Dome" ending was?

Zane C.
12-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Outside of Black House,the short story and novella collections and the Dark Tower stuff I agree. King's last decade or so of stuff has been subpar.

It use to be wherever he put out a new book I would buy it the first day in hardback. Now unless it is Dark Tower related or a collection of short stories/novellas, I just wait and get it used. It feels like whoever his editor is refuses to get him to cut out some of the bloat his novels suffer from. Plus most of the more modern stories have horrible endings. Didn't he pretty much apologize for how bad the "Under the Dome" ending was?

I honestly think some of the editors are probably scared to edit his work. I mean, how many people want the job of telling one of the best known authors of the past century, "Hey, you know Steve, you should probably cut this down a bit". Not many, I'm guessing.

That being said, I couldn't agree more. He does need to trim the fat a lot of the time.

Hopefully DOCTOR SLEEP will mark a turnaround in his work. For a guy that had a crackerjack first half of a career, this second half has sure been lacklustre. Just my opinion, though. Your mileage may vary.

Mark Tolch
12-07-2013, 12:09 PM
I liked 11/22/63.

Zane C.
12-07-2013, 09:16 PM
I liked 11/22/63.

Still haven't read this yet. I kinda got bored with all the JFK stuff and had to take a break from it for awhile. That was like 5 years ago. Maybe I should revisit some of the conspiracy theory stuff, and of course this novel.

Mark Tolch
12-10-2013, 09:45 AM
The JFK aspect is....well, it's important, but doesn't really get too much into the this and that details. It's more of a backdrop.

Todd Jordan
12-10-2013, 10:00 AM
My brother finished Doctor Sleep and said it was really good. Better than most of his recent years works. I'll check it out someday. Probably an audio book.

sukebanboy
12-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Might have to check it out as the general consensus seems to be it is one of his better efforts.....Glad I skipped over the shit of the last 10 year s or so....

By the way, how long is the book?

Ian Jane
11-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Stephen King Has Officially Entered The ‘Outspoken Grumpy Old Man’ Phase Of His Career (http://badassdigest.com/2014/11/03/stephen-king-has-officially-entered-the-outspoken-grumpy-old-man-phase-of-h)

The full interview is actually at Rolling Stone here (http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/stephen-king-the-rolling-stone-interview-20141031?page=5).

I've gotta say, when he speaks his mind he's pretty amusing. I don't agree with everything he says, but he's still an interesting guy.

Mark Tolch
11-06-2014, 10:39 AM
Oh, since this thread is about Doctor Sleep, I did quite enjoy it. I'd say that this and 11/22/63 are pretty great novels for a guy who gets a lot of crap for shitty books. Also enjoyed Joyland for what it was.

Andrew Monroe
11-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I liked Doctor Sleep too, and this after being pretty tepid on the idea. Joyland was great, I find I'm digging his non-supernatural stuff the best these days. If you haven't read Mr. Mercedes yet, Mark, you should give that one a go. He has a sequel in the works for that too, it's actually projected to be a trilogy involving the three main characters.

I enjoy reading King's interviews too, but sometimes I wish he didn't feel the need to share every opinion. He comes across as a bit of an ass at times for sure.

Mark Tolch
11-06-2014, 12:53 PM
I'll check out Mr. Mercedes for sure....the description put me off of it.

Andrew Monroe
11-06-2014, 12:59 PM
It's pretty much a mystery, done King style of course. Three very different people team up to try to find the killer. I loaned that to a couple of friends who are huge mystery buffs and don't much care for King as a rule and they both loved it. He has a knack for hooking you in the first few pages (at least when he's firing on all cylinders) and then the book just races along. I'm not a particularly fast reader but I burn through his stuff.

Mark Tolch
11-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Good stuff, thanks for the heads up!