PDA

View Full Version : Drafthouse Films Releasing Trailer War

Ian Jane
09-28-2012, 02:58 PM
This just popped up on their blog (http://drafthousefilms.com/blog/entry/drafthouse_films_trailer_war):

The Alamo Drafthouse, The American Genre Film Archive and filmmaker Joe Dante come together to present the Ultimate Trailer Collection! Rescued from impending destruction and donated by Tim League, these rare 35mm prints and trailers will blow your mind! Read on for the official press release...

AUSTIN, TX – Drafthouse Films, the film distribution arm of the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, has partnered with the American Genre Film Archive to release Trailer War, a meticulously curated feature-length program of vintage, rare 35mm coming attraction trailers. Each of the selections are presented for the first time in high-definition and most have been previously unavailable on any home video format. A theatrical tour presented in 35mm is planned for December 2012 and pre-order is available now for DVD/Blu-ray fan packs which will be available December 18th exclusively on www.DrafthouseFilms.com. Animal Protector and Amuck, both featured on the compilation, are available now as free digital downloads in HD here: http://t.opsp.in/a0Fv5.

The American Genre Film Archive is the largest “exploitation film” archive of its kind housing more than 3,500 rare 35mm film prints and trailers. Many of the trailers sourced for this compilation were rescued from impending destruction and donated by Alamo Drafthouse Founder/CEO Tim League. In one instance, rumors of a hidden cache of trailers located deep within a South African warehouse led League to investigate. After a series of fruitless negotiations, a distant relative brokered an illicit cash exchange in a hotel lobby and smuggled 200 pounds of celluloid from Johannesburg back to Austin. In another excursion to a decrepit, partially-flooded storage facility in southern Missouri, League agreed to the take-all-or-none stipulation and loaded a truck rated for 13,000 pounds with 26,000 pounds of celluloid. “It was during this shaky, 30 MPH drive back to Austin while jettisoning soggy, damaged prints at rest stop dumpsters along the way where I conceived of the idea of the Genre Film Archive,” says League, “I had to have some rationale for buying 500 35mm prints and countless trailers.”

Legendary filmmaker and “Trailers From Hell” creator Joe Dante (Gremlins, The ‘Burbs, The Howling), lends an extensive interview on the Trailer War disc chronicling his early years as a trailer-cutter at Roger Corman’s legendary New World Pictures. Also inclusive on the compilation is an audio commentary track from long-time Alamo Drafthouse Programmers and Trailer War curators Lars Nilsen and Zack Carlson. “From the high flying, explosive metal mayhem of Stunt Rock to Thunder Cops’ disembodied flying head chaos, each 3 minute masterpiece is like a beckoning portal to another, more exciting dimension,” says Nilsen.

Trailer War is available for festival and museum bookings now until December. Please contact emily.williams@drafthouse.com. For theatrical bookings contact Evan Husney at evan.husney@drafthouse.com. Trailer War is available in 35mm, blu-ray and DCP.

-------------------------------------------

About TRAILER WAR

Unleashed from the vaults of the Alamo Drafthouse, a meticulous selection of the best, strangest and most amazing coming attraction trailers in the world! Most have never been available in any home format, and all are presented for the first time in high definition. From the high flying, explosive metal mayhem of STUNT ROCK to THUNDER COPS' disembodied flying head chaos, each 3 minute masterpiece is like a beckoning portal to another, more exciting dimension. It's a crippling overdose of towering flames, mechanized destruction, lurking fear, poor sexual choices and spiritual devastation on an apocalyptic scale. You might want to have a cornea donor standing by just in case...because THIS IS GOING TO BURN!

About The American Genre Film Archive

The American Genre Film Archive (AGFA) was formed in 2009 by an international band of genre enthusiasts. It’s now the largest archive of its kind in the world, mainly focusing on the “exploitation era” of independent genre cinema–the 1960’s through the 1980’s. With about 1500 35 mm prints, it reflects the rebel spirit of genre filmmaking itself. “It’s specifically about the preservation of the type of film that we’ve been programming for over a decade,” said Alamo Drafthouse owner Tim League in the Austin Chronicle, “and also the type of film that most traditional film archives aren’t doing anything about.” With an active loaning program, AGFA films are screened at cinemas and festivals world-wide.

Ian Jane
09-28-2012, 02:59 PM

Ian Jane
09-30-2012, 08:50 AM
More on this here (http://drafthousefilms.com/film/trailer-war).

Marshall Crist
09-30-2012, 12:08 PM
"Spine #5." Does this mean this is their fifth release? If so, what are the previous ones? Is KLOWN one of them? If so, how would I order it? Their website is confusing the fuck out of me, and there was very little fuck left to begin with.

Ian Jane
09-30-2012, 12:14 PM
I think the spine #'s would be:

#1 - The FP
#2 - Bullhead
#3 - Klown
#4 - Miami Connection
#5 - Trailer War

Ian Jane
10-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Actually #4 is probably The Ambassador.

Hey look! Trailer war trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDD6S8MuECQ&feature=share

Marshall Crist
12-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Got TRAILER WAR in the mail today. Decent selection of enjoyable oddball trailers, some with hideously shrill sound. I hate to see space wasted on (for example) stuff like a chewed-up STAR CRASH trailer when the world already has a pristine one on that film's Blu-ray release. Overall enjoyable, and I haven't dipped into the commentary yet.

sukebanboy
12-12-2012, 12:25 AM
I guess the commentary is a big reason to pick this one up!

Marshall Crist
12-12-2012, 01:19 AM
Kinda sounded like there was a Betty Davis song playing over the Drafthouse logo--if anyone can confirm, please do.

Jason C
12-12-2012, 09:57 AM
I ordered Trailer War yesterday. The teaser is badass.

I didn't realize Kansas City has an "Alamo Drafthouse". I'm going to see if I can make it to the December 28th showing.

Todd Jordan
12-12-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm a slut for trailer comps. I have nearly 50 now.

Ian Jane
12-12-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm hopeful my copy will be waiting for me when I get home.

Ian Jane
12-13-2012, 10:02 AM
And it was. Watched the first half or so last night - a few trailers that are available on their respective discs and maybe one or two carry overs from other comps but there's a lot of material here I hadn't seen before. Looking forward to finishing this tonight.

John Lyons
12-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Ian, could you post a list of the trailers?

Ian Jane
12-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Once I get through it, sure.

ZoSo
12-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Wow, forgot I preordered this! Time to go check the mail!

Marshall Crist
12-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Well, my disc is defective, and it looks like it is going to be a bigger-than-usual pain in the ass to get it replaced, thanks to the fullfillment outfit that Drafthouse is using. Anyone else had problems with this company's output before? I am highly dubious of my chance of actually getting a corrected disc--since the disc itself is visibly defective, I am concerned that the entire run will be.

P.S. Fuck.

Ian Jane
12-14-2012, 10:55 AM
I had a problem with my disc too. It plays fine on my PS3, all the way through, but when I put the disc in my PC drive to do screen caps, nada. Won't even load. But again, it's completely fine on my PS3, plays without any issues.

Ian Jane
12-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Oh and for the record all the other Drafthouse Blu-ray's that I have are fine on my stand alone and PC drives. No issues there.

Marshall Crist
12-14-2012, 03:10 PM
The surface of my Blu-ray has a couple of tiny dimples which I suspect are the problem. Anyone else notice this on their disc?

Ian Jane
12-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Yep, my disc also has 1 visible little bump on the outer edge. I suspect that's what is giving my BD drive seizures.

Marshall Crist
12-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Wow. First of all, it seems pretty much impossible to get in touch with Drafthouse; you have to deal with the company that warehouses and ships their shit for them. All well and good, except it we be nice if I could alert Drafthouse that their pressing of the TRAILER WAR Blu-ray may be defective.

Second, while I got an automated response this morning to my request for a return authorization number from the fulfillment center saying that they would be contacting me "for reals," they have not yet. I'm guessing Monday, if I'm lucky.

Third, I just got an email from Drafthouse saying that TRAILER WARS is now half off. What a nice gesture for all the people who pre-ordered it from them. Only one finger involved--care to guess which one? In case anyone is thinking of jumping on this great deal to buy a defective Blu-ray at half price, rest assured that the postage is still seven fucking dollars.

ZoSo
12-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Mine plays in my PC dvd drive, only after the drive spins and reads it for about 1 minute or more. Haven't tried in any DVD players yet. (Got the standard DVD, not BR)

I also saw that half-off sale, and not too happy either.

Marshall Crist
12-14-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm furthermore stoked that (if they stick to their stated return policy) when I finally do get an RA#, I get to send the defective disc back at my own expense. Rad.

Jobla
12-15-2012, 01:49 AM
Think I'll pass on this product.

Ian Jane
12-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Ian, could you post a list of the trailers?

Stunt Rock / Argoman, The Fantastic Superman / Inframan / Voyage Of The Rock Aliens / Star Crash / Dungeon Master / Animal Protector / Eunuch Of The Western Palace / The Tongfather / World War Of Kung Fu / The Man From Hong Kong / Con El Odio En El Piel / Black Samurai / Force Four / Force Five / Sister Streetfighter / Golden Needles / Mitchell / Maniac Cop 2 / Mad Adventures Of Rabbi Jacob / Partners / Amuck / Big Guns / Mr. No Legs / Adults Only Snipe / Lola’s Mistake / Nightmare Honeymoon / Don’t Answer The Phone / The Scaremaker / The Mutations / Deranged / Shoot / Dead End Drive In / Who Saw Her Die? / Amin, The Rise And Fall / H.O.T.S / The Beach Girls / Nudes On Tiger Reef / The Boob Tube / Northville Cemetery Massacre / Amazing Grace / The Lawyer / the Electric Chair / The Women In Cell Block 7 / Penitentiary / Thunder Cops

Marshall Crist
12-28-2012, 11:13 PM
I would be remiss if I did not state that my defective Blu-ray situation has been resolved favorably, and their customer service has exceeded my expectations.

Roderick
12-30-2012, 08:23 PM
FWW - My blu plays just fine and has no "bumps" or "dimples". Also, I didn't preorder so it was from a later batch.

Zane C.
12-30-2012, 09:23 PM
I would be remiss if I did not state that my defective Blu-ray situation has been resolved favorably, and their customer service has exceeded my expectations.

Good to hear, Marshall! Glad to hear they made the situation right for you.

I ordered this, and the download was great. I love trailer comps! Only problem was I redeemed the code for the movie itself, but couldn't redeem the code for the special features. Anyone know why this is?

Btw: Anyone have THE DUNGEONMASTER? I don't know how this one slipped past my radar, but I definitely want to see it. Send me a PM if you can help! I'll make sure it's worth your time - I've got tons of flicks to trade! :)

ZoSo
12-31-2012, 01:09 AM
THE DUNGEONMASTER is currently on Netflix streaming.

Zane C.
12-31-2012, 01:01 PM

That would be great if I got US Netflix, but I don't! Thanks anyway! :)

Jason C
12-31-2012, 05:16 PM

According to IMDB the US VHS was missing a pre-credits Dream Sequence (featuring some generous nudity) and the UK VHs was missing the villain's reminiscing of torturing cats. Both of these are in the Netflix Streaming version.

Andrew Monroe
01-28-2013, 03:29 PM
So the blu-ray wouldn't play for me - I got it through Diabolik before Christmas and when I contacted them, I was told they were sending a list of customers who had problems with it to Drafthouse and I didn't need to do anything. Drafthouse had a new pressing done and I got one today. Great customer service!