PDA

View Full Version : Killing Them Softly

Dom D
10-14-2012, 07:12 PM
"America's not a country. It's a business. Now fucking pay me." Ballsy words for a film coming from an Australian director working with American money. But he backs 'em up.

This film could have been custom made from the RSP audience. A tough, stylish crime movie of the kind that hasn't been made this well since the 70s. Shot low key, about low lives pulling off low level jobs. A couple of morons rob a mob poker game. Brad Pitt's brought into take them out and goes about the job without too much fuss.

Pitt's becoming a favourite actor of mine. Some terrible early performances combined with the brutal send up of him in Living In Oblivion had me writing him off totally but he's been super strong recently. Particularly as a comedic prescence and he's great here. Shows he's willing to put the star ego to the rear and arrive 20 odd minutes into film looking pretty dodgy with an awful goatee. But then all the performances are good particulrly James Gandolfini as an aging, drunk hitman flown in from New York who provides the film with a lot of it's heart.

The subtext of the movie is kind of rammed in your face but I don't mind that. Takes me back to the good old days of filmmaking when writers had something to say and had to say it now and didn't mind too much if they bored you with it. Check it out. You'll like it.

Ian Jane
10-14-2012, 08:00 PM
I have never heard of this but you have my attention.

Dom D
10-14-2012, 08:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDyaNnrgdp4

Ian Jane
10-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Ha, that bit with the exploding car cracked me up. This looks pretty cool.

Randy G
10-18-2012, 06:13 AM
This is based on a great book by Higgins, same guy who wrote THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE.

Paul L
03-01-2013, 06:55 PM
I watched this tonight and loved it, despite a friend at work telling me that it was pretty bad. I don't understand the bad press it's been given in some quarters. It's a talky crime drama - not an action film masquerading as a crime drama, which is what most crime pictures seem like these days. The photography (by Greig Fraser*) was great: intimate, claustrophobic at times (despite the wide compositions), using much natural light (at least, it seems). The decision to update the narrative to 2008, and make broadcasts about the current economic climate a backdrop to the action, is inspired and gives context to the final line of the film, which Dom quoted in his first post. It's a macabre punchline, of which Higgins seemed to be quite fond, but here it's given added weight by a final scene that recalls the closing chapter of Bret Easton Ellis' AMERICAN PSYCHO ('This is not an exit'). Admittedly, this is a little heavy-handed at times, but still...

And we get to see some great actors chew and spit out Higgins' dialogue (I haven't read COGAN'S TRADE since I was at school, but I reckon that this adaptation uses much of Higgins' dialogue).

* I never watched LET ME IN or SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN, as neither film appealed to me, but if Fraser's photography on those films is as good as this, I may have to track them down. I'm curious about THE LAST RIDE too. Any comments?