PDA

View Full Version : Earl Owensby genre films available

Richard--W
10-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Between 1974 and 1987 Earl Owensby of Shelby, North Carolina produced about two dozen low-budget, independent films with his own money at his own estate which he had turned into a full-service studio. Several of his films were shot in the StereoVision system, a single-camera twin-lens rig that placed the left eye and right eye over/under on a single strip of 35mm film. Those I've seen, including Rottweiler (1981) and Tales of the Third Dimension (1984) were carefully shot and offered excellent 3-D.

The Owensby organization is now offering some their genre films on home video for the first time. Unfortunately, none are in 3-D. However, all his films are worth checking out:

http://www.earlowensbystudios.com/Movies.html

http://www.earlowensbystudios.com/

Ian Jane
10-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Did you order any? I'm curious if they're pressed DVD or DVD-R and what the quality is like.

Andrew Monroe
10-17-2012, 05:50 PM
I've always admired Owensby's DIY ethic - he's something of a local legend in the NC area - and it was also very cool that his studios were used in some of the major films shot in the area, but I have to say I have yet to see a film of his that I liked.

Richard--W
10-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Which of his films have you seen, Andrew?

I'm going to order Buckstone County Prison and Wolfman since I've never seen them. They're not 3-D films. I won't order the 3-D films until he presses them in 3-D.

Good question, Ian. Why don't you email them? I believe all his films should be widescreen and anamorphic. I can't believe he'd release DVDs in the same quality as the online trailers.

Andrew Monroe
10-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Which of his films have you seen, Andrew?

I'm going to order Buckstone County Prison and Wolfman since I've never seen them. They're not 3-D films. I won't order the 3-D films until he presses them in 3-D.

I've seen WOLFMAN, A DAY OF JUDGMENT, CHAIN GANG, and DOGS OF HELL. WOLFMAN was on one of those Brentwood budget horror sets, I'll have to dig around to see which one. It's terrible, to speak frankly (imo of course). A DAY OF JUDGMENT had an intriguing idea, sort of in the same terrtitory as THE REDEEMER but with a period setting. It's deadly dull though.

Gary Banks
10-18-2012, 11:53 AM
I've seen WOLFMAN, A DAY OF JUDGMENT, CHAIN GANG, and DOGS OF HELL. WOLFMAN was on one of those Brentwood budget horror sets, I'll have to dig around to see which one. It's terrible, to speak frankly (imo of course). A DAY OF JUDGMENT had an intriguing idea, sort of in the same terrtitory as THE REDEEMER but with a period setting. It's deadly dull though.

WOLFMAN is pretty dull. DOGS OF HELL I've seen but remember nada about it...except that it is better than WOLFMAN.