PDA

View Full Version : Two Kiyoshi Kurosawa films on DVD from Third Window

Apronikoff
10-29-2012, 01:16 PM
http://twitchfilm.com/assets_c/2012/10/Eyes.of_.the_.Spider-thumb-300xauto-34689.jpg
http://twitchfilm.com/assets/2012/10/Serpents%20Path.jpg

Third Window Films are pleased the announce the acquisition of 2 lesser-known classics from Japanese auteur Kiyoshi Kurosawa (Tokyo Sonata, Cure) - 'Eyes of the Spider' and 'Serpent's Path' for DVD releases in Spring 2013.

When oddball auteur Kiyoshi Kurosawa received an eccentric offer to make two films in two weeks, on a low budget and using the same cast, the result was the cinematic equivalent of fraternal twins. Though both Eyes of the Spider and Serpent's Path are gangster films about the desire for revenge, and both films feature a protagonist named Nijima played convincingly by Sho Aikawa, the two films are completely different in tone and plot. Nonetheless, they seem freakishly interlocked in ways that defy the conventionally linear relationship of a sequel, as each of these enigmatic, absorbing films elucidates and alters our understanding of the other.

Eyes of the Spider concerns Nijima (Sho Aikawa), a white-collar worker who one day finds the man responsible for his young daughter's brutal rape and murder. He tortures and interrogates the man, who maintains his innocence, before killing and burying him. He returns to his ordinary life feeling listless and hollow, until he meets an old high school friend who introduces him to his hapless band of hired killers. His skill in the assassination business catches the attention of a bigger crime boss. For reasons that remain opaque, Nijima is assigned to investigate his friend, which ultimately results in a bloody confrontation.

Serpent's Path tells the tale of Miyashita (Teruyuki Kagawa), a former low level yakuza has tracked down his child's killer with help of his friend Nijima (Sho Aikawa) whom he met a year before. They've kidnapped a yakuza member believed responsible for the killing to take out revenge. But vengeance is neither simple or easy. Another person is soon implicated in the child's death leading the pair farther down a path of revenge and violence. And what darker secret has led Nijima, a lowly professor to help Miyashita in this affair.

sukebanboy
10-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Wow...I remember seeing these two back-to-back MANY years ago.......

Both are well worth checking out...and an interesting idea to do two takes on the same basic story with the same cast and director...but take each film in a different direction....

I would advise seeing BOTH of them (preferably together) as they DO compliment each other...

47lab
10-30-2012, 02:39 AM
Just another reason why Third Window is one of my favorite distributors. :up: I recall we were discussing these two films in another thread & we both agreed these 2 films are among the gems of Kurosawa's entire catalog.

sukebanboy
10-30-2012, 04:31 AM
Just another reason why Third Window is one of my favorite distributors. :up: I recall we were discussing these two films in another thread & we both agreed these 2 films are among the gems of Kurosawa's entire catalog.

I was thinking that maybe a spy from THIRD WINDOW has been prowling these boards and mistaking us for experts!!!LOL!!!:up:

47lab
11-04-2012, 07:02 PM
I was thinking that maybe a spy from THIRD WINDOW has been prowling these boards and mistaking us for experts!!!LOL!!!:up:
If that's the case, do you have any further suggestions for the Third Window spies? :biggrin: How about his early pink film, Kandagawa Pervert Wars? :think:

sukebanboy
11-04-2012, 08:15 PM
How about his early pink film, Kandagawa Pervert Wars? :think:

Now THATS a title that would fly of the shelves!!!

i just saw they also released KOTOKO...which is a film I very much want to see....

Ian Jane
11-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Now THATS a title that would fly of the shelves!!!

I'd buy it.