PDA

View Full Version : Andrzej Zulawski's Possession Announced For Blu-ray

Ian Jane
11-16-2012, 03:27 PM
From Second Sight's Facebook page:

"IN THE WORKS.... we are excited to announce that we are starting work on a Blu-ray release of Andrzej Zulawski's classic POSSESSION. This is a new Director-Approved restoration, and as well as the existing DVD bonus features we are working on a whole host more. We'll announce further details here as they happen."

Horace Cordier
11-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Wow. Second Sight are rapidly turning into the coolest cult label out there.

Ian Jane
11-16-2012, 03:43 PM
No kidding. I know Mondo Vision had announced at one point they had this slated for domestic release. No idea if this is in collaboration with Second Sight, if it's a completely separate release or for that matter if it's even still happening (which would be a shame as their other Zulawski discs were awesome).

Regardless, this is a day one purchase for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RykcyGIMkhs

Scott
11-16-2012, 03:59 PM
One of the best films, ever.
Always thought it's make a double feature with Ken Russell's CRIMES OF PASSION.

Richard--W
11-16-2012, 04:39 PM
A day-one purchase is right. I don't often pre-order but I will for POSSESSION on blu-ray.

Jared A.
11-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Mondo Vision is still working on this. A UK BD release gives some indication that we may get a US release on that format as well.

Ignatius
11-16-2012, 07:21 PM
David MacKenzie, who does the video work for Mondo Vision and also did the encode for MM's Countess Peverse release, did a great post on Criterion Forum (http://criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8024&start=350#p393650) a while ago about the trouble getting the transfer right. Since the Second Sight transfer is labeled as 'director approved' I would assume it has to be the same one.

Hopefully this means the Mondo Vision release will be a Blu-Ray as well. I can't imagine them licensing out their transfer for a Blu-Ray if they're only putting out a DVD. I'll probably have to double-dip anyway, it sounds like Second Sight is rounding up some neat extras and it'll be far cheaper, but I'll have to get the MV to line up with the others on the shelf.

Hooray for Possession getting a top-quality release! Both companies have good track records so my hopes are really high.

Richard--W
11-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Mondo Vision is still working on this. A UK BD release gives some indication that we may get a US release on that format as well.

I always prefer a USA release.

Ian Jane
11-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Yeah, this may be one of those rare instances where I need the domestic release and the import. This movie is that good.

Ian Jane
03-15-2013, 04:10 PM
A quick update....

"Hard at work on POSSESSION: The original negative scan is currently being meticulously colour-corrected scene by scene, and in some instances frame by frame, with the supervision and approval of director Andrzej Zulawaski. The results are dramatic as you can see from this side-by-side comparison. Blu-ray release date to be announced shortly."

Lee
03-15-2013, 07:53 PM
An incredible film that I've seen many times over the past 15 years or so. I'm very happy it is coming to Blu-ray. And with some loving care by the sounds of it.

Ian Jane
05-14-2013, 09:36 AM
A FB update on the Second Sight release:

POSSESSION update; Blu-ray (Region B ) release date confirmed as July 29th.

--------------------

We've been working on producing some new extras to go with this great release, and can confirm the full list:

-THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WALL: THE MAKING OF POSSESSION
-ANDRZEJ ZULAWSKI INTERVIEW
-REPOSSESSED - The film's UK and US reception, the 'video nasties' furore and the US recut
-A DIVIDED CITY - The Berlin locations
-THE SOUNDS OF POSSESSION - An exclusive interview with with composer Andrzej Korzynski about his work relationship with Andrzej Zulawski
-OUR FRIEND IN THE WEST - An exclusive interview with legendary producer Christian Ferry
-BASHA - A new featurette on Polish artist Barbara 'Basha' Baranowska who created the famed poster for the film.
-THEATRICAL TRAILER

Ian Jane
05-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Extras update!

"We can confirm that in addition to the extras already posted the release will include the existing Andrzej Zulawski commentary and also a new commentary with co-writer Frederic Tuten. Will be available for pre-order within the next week, release date July 29."

Ian Jane
05-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Press release confirms this will be Region B (no surprise there).

Ryan Clark
05-28-2013, 05:58 PM
That cover art is gorgeous. I'm really excited about this release, even though Possession is a film that's very difficult for me to love. Yet I'm utterly fascinated by it and find myself wanting to watch it over and over again.

Richard--W
05-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Would somebody who is on facebook bother MondoVision to confirm if they intend, or have scheduled, a USA blu-ray?

Ian Jane
05-29-2013, 08:50 AM
They've announced previously that they have it and are working on it but haven't offered any other information.

They have a page up on their site with some info, but no release date.

http://www.mondo-vision.com/possession.php

Ian Jane
06-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Hmm. A vague update (http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=222071) on the Mondo Vision release - seems everything is done on their end and they're waiting on manufacturing details before announcing the date but that there will be 4.5 hours of supplemental material accompanying the feature.

Ian Jane
06-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Cover art got reworked a little bit.

Ian Jane
06-21-2013, 02:01 PM
An update from Second Sight:

" We are seeing final edits of our bonus features, and are particularly pleased with, ‘REPOSSESSED’. After the discovery of new materials, it will now focus exclusively on the differences between the Director’s Cut and the US recut version. A full list of extras was posted here on May 14th."

Ian Jane
03-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Mondo Vision has updated their site with details on their pending release. (http://www.mondo-vision.com/possessionse.php#)

POSSESSION, 1981
Special Edition
[Digipak with Hardcover Slipcase]
Runtime Runtime: 2 Hrs. 4 Mins.
Language 1. Original English Mono [dts-HD Master Audio]
2. Audio Commentary
3. Unauthorized Alternate Audio*
Subtitles English, French, and Spanish Subtitles
(optional, in White or Yellow)
Video 1.66:1
Discs Dual Layer BD-50

Catalog#: MVSE005 UPC: 091037398659

* This audio track features alternative music. It is not the director's approved version, and is included for completeness. Most notable is the addition of the piano theme during the subway miscarriage scene, and the removal of music during a pivotal scene. A handful of releases, including POSSESSION's first U.S. DVD release (ironically billed as the "Director's Cut") were issued only with this audio track. This additional music although composed by Andrzej Korzyñski was never used by the director in the final cut of the film. It is strongly recommended to watch the film with the original director's approved audio.

BLU-RAY DISC CONTENTS:
MONDO VISION presents the first ever North American Blu-ray release of Andrzej Zulawski's POSSESSION (1981) in an all new 2K digital transfer supervised and approved by the director. UNCUT & Fully Uncensored, this edition also marks the first ever release of the film in North America in its original Director's Cut.* The film is presented in the original aspect ratio of 1.66:1 along with an uncompressed mono audio soundtrack. This Dual Layer disc has been transferred and encoded using a high-frequency process which preserves as much of the detail and texture from the original film as is possible on the Blu-ray format.

* See notes above regarding audio track.

DISC 1: THE FEATURE FILM

Digitally Restored 1080p HD Transfer Approved by Director Andrzej Zulawski [124min]

EXTRAS: [4 Hr. 8 Mins.]
[All extras except commentary come with Optional English Subtitles in White or Yellow]

The Other Side of The Wall: The Making of POSSESSION [52min]
Audio Commentary with Director Andrzej Zulawski [124min]
Video Interview with Director Andrzej Zulawski [36min]
Video Interview with Translator Eric Veaux [22min]
Theatrical Trailer [3min]
More from Mondo Vision [11min] [collection of 4 trailers from Andrzej Zulawski films]
La Femme Publique
L'important C'est Da'imer
La'mour Braque
Szamanka

PLUS:

24-page Booklet Featuring an Essay by Daniel Bird

Note Regarding Omitted Extra Feature:
During 1980s, the North American distributors removed 40 minutes from the film, and re-scored, re-arranged and visually altered the remaining 80, apparently to satisfy a commercial objective. The result stands as a textbook example of the power of re-editing in distorting a filmmaker's vision. Sadly, this was the version seen by audiences during POSSESSION's North American debut. MONDO VISION transferred and restored this 80min version from a 35mm release print in order to give audiences a rare chance to examine the damage done by a reckless pair of scissors. However, to avoid conflict with those responsible, a last minute decision was made not to include this version as part of the extras. For anyone interested to witness this travesty, we are considering to make it available online free of charge. Stay tuned for more details.

A PERSONAL NOTE:
I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you who supported MONDO VISION in the past few years. Without your support this release would have never been possible. Every dollar earned from our previous releases was put back into licensing, production and manufacturing of POSSESSION. In many ways this is a very personal release. The first time I saw POSSESSION, it had a profound effect on me. As a film buff and a collector, I knew then that I had to re-present and re-market this film in a completely different manner. The film that I experienced was far different from the descriptions that I read about the film. I never saw it as a horror film nor an attempt to make a cheap monster flick. In fact I couldn't even explain what I just saw; I just knew that I LOVED it. It was so different than anything else that I had ever seen. What fascinated me was the level of intensity and the ability of one director to push his actors to the height of madness. Zulawski's direction although it upsets and angers many was a revelation to me; it renewed my faith in cinema and the power of this medium to go deep into human psyche. Even though POSSESSION has been released more than any other Zulawski title out there, I feel that our version (particularly the Limited Edition) is the one and only release you will ever need to own. We had the opportunity to release the film as early as 2010 on a sub-par DVD using outdated materials, but a personal decision was made to push back the release until a new HD master was available. It took us 3 years to convince the rightsholders but persistence finally paid off. However, the problems did not stop there. We then encountered an unfortunate situation with our production which delayed the release for another 2 years. All this time we fought the urge not to give in to pressure. We decided to delay the release as long as it required until our vision was realized. Here we are 5 years after our first DVD release and that dream is about to come true. We even joke and laugh about this as being the longest Blu-ray production in history. So there you have it, this release has been more than 5 years in the making but I feel and I hope that you will enjoy the finished product just like the rest of us. Here I would like to thank two people in particular who played big part in making this and previous MONDO VISION projects happen. First, David Mackenzie. I met David online when he was 19 years old. Right then I knew he had the talent and understanding to author and encode outstanding Discs. He clearly achieved that purpose on previous MONDO VISION titles and POSSESSION is no different. David is now authoring numerous Discs for various reputable companies and his success is truly deserved. Next person I would like to thank is Tim Gengler, the person responsible for the visual side of things. Tim has put up with 5 years of my pickiness about every single detail of the design and packaging and I can't be happier with the results. POSSESSION was one of our most challenging projects due to the packaging design and it took us months and several hundred revisions to finally get it right. So Tim and David thank you for being part of this. Lastly, I understand that not everyone is interested in owning an expensive version of the Film which is why we always offer our standard release priced according to the market for these type of niche films. To serious Zulawski fans and those of you who contacted us asking for the Limited Edition, I can say that everything within our means was done to make this release happen. This is by far our most expensive production; the main intention was not to cut corners or go cheap. The Limited Edition of POSSESSION was meant to be on par if not better (we think it is) than what you get from big Hollywood studios with one important exception, the number of copies. When big studios make limited editions, their production run is in hundreds of thousands (and usually not even numbered), their intention is to lower the price point and sell as many copies as possible which is why many Limited Editions don't keep their value in the long-run. And let's not forget the number of times the same studios release and re-release their titles. Our goal was to get it right the first time and move on to the next project. So when it comes to a film like POSSESSION it makes absolutely no sense to do a high production run. Although we improved every aspect of the packaging and opted for Blu-ray instead of DVD, a final decision was made to keep the production at 2000 units while keeping our price point fair and justified for what is being offered. We have an exclusive deal with our good friends at TOUFAAN. They will distribute POSSSESSION independently and will start taking pre-orders on their website few weeks prior to the release date. Please keep in mind that like us the guys at TOUFFAN are doing this not just to make money but in order to do something worthwhile on the side. So please be patient and give them a chance to handle the distribution part. With your support we hope to release the remaining Zulawski catalogue.

Thank you!
Founder & CEO, Mondo Vision

Clive Smith
03-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Finally! I'd held off on the Second Sight release for ages... but was beginning to waver.

Jared A.
03-17-2014, 11:12 PM
What is TOUFFAN?

Derrick King
03-17-2014, 11:18 PM
Toufaan is Mondo Vision's distributor (http://www.toufaan.com/)

Jared A.
03-18-2014, 01:56 AM
Toufaan is Mondo Vision's distributor (http://www.toufaan.com/)

Thanks!

Terry C
03-18-2014, 01:39 PM
Giant Boner for this right now!

Clive Smith
03-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Yes, I'm squirming about on a filthy mattress with my tentacles out for this one.

Martin Brooks
03-19-2014, 02:06 AM
Held out for this! Great news, this Mondo Vision release sounds superb! It's gonna sit nice on the shelf next to my other Mondo Zuławskis.

Ignatius
03-19-2014, 05:07 AM
Looking forward to getting this one, and hoping they get to complete the whole set. I've held off on getting the Second Sight so far, though I'll probably pick it up cheaply at some point for the extra features.

Ian Jane
04-11-2014, 08:57 AM
Some screen caps are online at Blu-ray.com here (http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=222071&page=6) from the Mondo Vision transfer.

Ian Jane
05-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Limited edition is now up for pre-order.

http://www.toufaan.com/collections/mondo-visions-limited-edition/products/possession-limited-edition-2000-numbered-copies

Ian Jane
05-17-2014, 10:05 AM
And the non-limited but still very impressive special edition is also available for pre-order.

http://www.toufaan.com/collections/mondo-visions-special-edition/products/possession-special-digipak-edition

Ignatius
05-17-2014, 10:30 AM
The price of the limited edition is teeth-grindingly high, but I've got all the other limited eds so there's no way I'm missing this one. I've already got the Finders Keepers vinyl release of the soundtrack too so the second disc doesn't offer much added value to me, but if the whole package is as high quality as it looks then it should be just about worth it.

I'm tempted to order through DiabolikDVD with a couple other items to fool myself into thinking it'll help off-set the shipping costs. Which it won't, as they've tacked an extra $15 onto the price for international customers to deal with the extra shipping costs.

fatboyslim142
05-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Will the transfer be the same as the one Second Sight used? Also Second Sight release has got 2hrs 22mins more extras than this release with 6hrs 30 mins worth of extras including a 2nd commentary. The commentary info doesn't mention that Daniel "Borowczyk expert" Bird is also on it.

Also how many Copies is the limited edition going to have & has the film soundtrack ever had a CD release before this Blu-ray was announced?

fatboyslim142
05-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Are Mondo Vision intending to eventually release all the Zulawski films? If so, will this include the 2 TV works he did?

Also will they release films by any other directors?

fatboyslim142
05-17-2014, 12:17 PM
How much is Mondo Vision's P+P to UK if you order direct from them?

Gav M
05-17-2014, 12:57 PM
has the film soundtrack ever had a CD release before this Blu-ray was announced?

Yes... http://www.finderskeepersrecords.com/shop/andrzej-korzynski-possession/

Tom Clark
05-17-2014, 06:01 PM
Are Mondo Vision intending to eventually release all the Zulawski films?
They've got Trzecia Czesc Nocy (The Third Part Of The Night, 1970), Diabel (The Devil, 1972), Na Srebrnym Globiee (The Silver Globe, 1977/87), Boris Godounov (1989) and La Note Bleue (The Blue Note, 1992) listed as future releases with The Silver Globe and The Blue Note already in production.

Mark C.
05-17-2014, 09:28 PM
I pre-ordered the more pricier one, and with shipping and exchange came to 92 dollars Canadian. It's the most I've ever paid for a film. But I too have to previous special editions and want them all.

Ignatius
05-17-2014, 11:29 PM
Will the transfer be the same as the one Second Sight used? Also Second Sight release has got 2hrs 22mins more extras than this release with 6hrs 30 mins worth of extras including a 2nd commentary. The commentary info doesn't mention that Daniel "Borowczyk expert" Bird is also on it.

Also how many Copies is the limited edition going to have & has the film soundtrack ever had a CD release before this Blu-ray was announced?

The Zulawski commentary on the Second Sight (and I assume the Mondo Vision) is ported from the old Anchor Bay DVD and moderated by Daniel Bird, very good commentary if I recall. The limited edition is 2000 copies and the transfer should be pretty much identical to the Second Sight, as the excellent David Mackenzie is responsible for the final master and compression on both.

Mark C.
05-21-2014, 10:09 PM
My Limited edition blu-ray shipped today. A good three weeks before street date.

Ian Jane
05-26-2014, 10:48 AM
Stole this image from Blu-ray.com (http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?art=part&x=645&y=214&action=1&image=0&hd_multiID=1704&cap1=38472&cap2=38482&disc1=4136&disc2=4137&lossless=#vergleich) but it looks some people who ordered direct from Mondo Vision are starting to get their discs...

fatboyslim142
05-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Stole this image from Blu-ray.com (http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?art=part&x=645&y=214&action=1&image=0&hd_multiID=1704&cap1=38472&cap2=38482&disc1=4136&disc2=4137&lossless=#vergleich) but it looks some people who ordered direct from Mondo Vision are starting to get their discs...

Anyone know how much the Blu-ray will cost with P+P to UK direct from Mondo Vision?

stinty
05-26-2014, 07:09 PM
The Mondo sets look real nice. I'm going to pick up all of them in time. They have plans to issue much of his catalogue.

Mark C.
05-26-2014, 10:56 PM
Anyone know how much the Blu-ray will cost with P+P to UK direct from Mondo Vision?

I'd imagine around 86 dollars U.S. FOR THE SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION

Dom D
05-27-2014, 08:09 PM
I'd imagine around 86 dollars U.S. FOR THE SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION

Well sure... but look how nice the box is.

Mark C.
05-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Well sure... but look how nice the box is.

Hey I'm not complaining, then again people tell me I have more money than brains. :)

Ian Jane
07-06-2015, 10:05 AM
For anyone still interested, Zavvi has the UK release for £8,99 right now.

Alison Jane
01-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Watched this for the first time last night and I loved it. That said, I am not always the best at picking up on deeper meaning especially in artsy foreign films. Especially when they may be biblical or philosophical references. I'm trying to understand, mostly, why Bob's teacher looked like Anna, when Mark was assumedly the sane one. Are we supposed to believe that he created his own alternate Anna, just with less backstory than the way Anna had created another Mark? Also, was the thing Anna was feeding, that we're led to believe was miscarried Chance (or Faith, whichever it was), supposed to be real? Was a lot of this underlying metaphor? And who, in the end, was the one that was really possessed? Could have been Anna, could have been Mark, could have been both by different but similarly driven forces.

I'm sure you all have educated answers or personal opinions on all of these questions...

Tom Clark
01-01-2016, 07:13 PM
I'm trying to understand, mostly, why Bob's teacher looked like Anna, when Mark was assumedly the sane one. Are we supposed to believe that he created his own alternate Anna, just with less backstory than the way Anna had created another Mark? Also, was the thing Anna was feeding, that we're led to believe was miscarried Chance (or Faith, whichever it was), supposed to be real? Was a lot of this underlying metaphor? And who, in the end, was the one that was really possessed? Could have been Anna, could have been Mark, could have been both by different but similarly driven forces.

I’ve always been of the mindset that Mark didn’t “create” another Anna with the teacher but rather the teacher represented the loving, nurturing side of Anna that Mark so desperately wanted back. The mothering type that would care for Bob rather than leave him aloe standing in his own filth. If Adjani had the same hair style for instance or wore the same type of blue dresses as Anna in the role of the teacher I'd think she was imagined but as it is I'd say she was real and having Adjani play both parts was brilliant headfuckery on Zulawki's part.

The monster could both be interpreted as both real and imagined. I prefer to think of it as real because I’m weird like that but having the “finished” form of the creature look exactly like Mark is certainly metaphoric. Anna still wanted some form of Mark, seemingly just the flesh suit and not the whole package.

Both were clearly operating under the control of their own obsessions. You could say Anna was "possessed" by the monster but I don't think Zulawski was being that literal. The title "Possession" can also mean how both Mark and Heinrich wanted to "possess" Anna for themselves thinking of her as an object, not caring at all about what she really wants or needs. When you break it all down, Anna is probably the most rational one in the whole movie. Mark drives himself batty trying to get Anna back the way he wants her and as for Heinrich, well, he's was nuttier than a Payday bar from the instant we meet him. Anna saw him as a sort of liberation from Mark and found out he was just as suffocating. The monster was her ultimate freedom.

Don't forget the heavy political undertones of the film with all the shots of the Berlin wall in the background and the idea of separation. The separation of East and West, Anna and Mark's separation, ect...

Alison Jane
01-02-2016, 08:47 AM
Okay, so I guess I picked up on pretty much all of that. I am not familiar with this director's work so I wasn't sure if there was one answer in the end. I guess it's just open to interpretation by planting weird seeds of suggestion.

Thanks for your take on it.