PDA

View Full Version : The Host 2 In Production!

Ian Jane
11-21-2012, 11:38 AM
So I dug the first one and even if Bong Joon Ho isn't coming back for the second film, I'm still curious to check it out. Apparently it's being made as a 3D movie. I don't really care about that... but I do dig giant monsters.

There's some effects heavy footage you can check out here (http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/23543/first-footage-arrives-for-monster-sequel-the-host-2).

sukebanboy
11-21-2012, 11:45 AM
This movie was announced a few YEARS ago.....bit late now to release it I fear!!!

That CGI doesn't look good enough to focus on for THAT amount of time from that footage!!!

Ian Jane
11-21-2012, 11:54 AM
The CGI wasn't great in the first one either, but I wound up having a lot of fun with it once I actually watched it from start to finish.

And yeah, this was announced a few years ago, I remember when it first came up. But now that they're actually going ahead with it, it might be worth keeping an eye on.

sukebanboy
11-21-2012, 12:10 PM
The CGI wasn't great in the first one either

but it was quite well directed....and had some of South Korea's best actors in it..so was willing to forgive the dodgy CGI for the most part....and actually, they kept the monster in short bursts for a while.....

Making it 3D will not help I fear!!

Ian Jane
11-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Making it 3D will not help I fear!!

I find it rarely does, at least in terms of quantity. I think where it does help is in getting people to go to the theater to see it.

sukebanboy
11-22-2012, 01:49 AM
I think where it does help is in getting people to go to the theater to see it.

REALLY?

I personally refuse to watch any more 3D movies....A couple are fun...but now they have outstayed their welcome I think...Especially when they ruin a perfectly good movie by doing the 3D....It's distracting for me

Ian Jane
11-22-2012, 10:14 AM
I dunno, they must be popular enough as they keep getting churned out. I think the theaters like it because they can (and do) charge a premium.

sukebanboy
11-27-2012, 09:40 AM
I dunno, they must be popular enough as they keep getting churned out. I think the theaters like it because they can (and do) charge a premium.

Yeah..can understand it from a theaters perspective....but it must be a ball-ache for the filmmakers...and the quality of the film definitely suffers...plus the majority of them dont know how to use it correctly....wearing the stupid glasses takes you out of the movie...........plus it gives me a headache

Ian Jane
11-27-2012, 11:20 AM
I don't think it has to ruin the movie though. Which ties into your 'filmmakers don't know what they're doing' comment I guess. I think there's too much emphasis on having the 3D 'be' the movie as opposed to having the 3D 'compliment' the movie if that makes any sense.

Apronikoff
11-27-2012, 02:17 PM
I don't think it has to ruin the movie though. Which ties into your 'filmmakers don't know what they're doing' comment I guess. I think there's too much emphasis on having the 3D 'be' the movie as opposed to having the 3D 'compliment' the movie if that makes any sense.

I do think 3D can be done well. But it has to be done by a filmmaker who has a vision for what the extra dimensionality adds to their film other than simply gee-whiz factor.

I use Roger Ebert as my metric. The man absolutely hates 3D, so I figure on those very very few times when he comments in his review about the 3D being a worthwhile addition I'll consider seeing something in 3D. The last time I did was for Tintin, and in that case I did feel like it was really well done.

As fas as The Host 2 -- my love for the original (and giant monsters in general) ensures that I will see this one...but right now I don't have high hopes.

sukebanboy
11-27-2012, 08:14 PM
As fas as The Host 2 -- my love for the original (and giant monsters in general) ensures that I will see this one...but right now I don't have high hopes.

for the best I think!

Yeah...I think there is ROOM for 3-D when done right...but it takes more work from the film makers and they need to know what they are doing...This post-production converting and cheap ass gimmicky stuff has ruined it..It IS fun in cheaper schlockier movies (A la FRIDAY 13 3D etc)...but done in normal movies just makes it worse.......and doing just for the sake of it (or extra box office fees) is just plain WRONG!!

Ian Jane
01-02-2013, 10:43 AM
More here (http://twitchfilm.com/2013/01/the-host-2-gearing-up-for-early-summer-2014-bow.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TwitchEverything+%28Twitch%29 ). Apparently the release will now be summer 2014.

"Director Im Pil-sung (Hansel & Gretel, Doomsday Book) recently finished a script which will be helmed by debut filmmaker Park Myung-chun. While no word has surfaced on the plot yet, it has been revealed that The Host 2 will feature two different monsters this time around. A Early Summer 2014 release date is being eyed for the hotly anticipated monster movie and all effects will be handled domestically (US-based company The Orphanage previously handled the CG)."

sukebanboy
07-01-2014, 02:42 AM
So...What happened to this movie????

There was the test footage a few years ago (the kids in the truck) ...but not a word recently.....

Have they abandoned it?....It was supposed to come Summer 2014.......and here we are!:funny: