PDA

View Full Version : Best apocalypse movies

Apronikoff
11-21-2012, 07:03 PM
As we all know, the world is going to end next month. So, since we don't know who will survive and who won't, it's time to start studying!

Seriously, though, apocalypse/post-apocalypse films have long been a favorite genre of mine, ever since I was traumatized by a viewing of Testament at a very young age. Whether nuclear war, pandemic or global warming -- ending the world is fun! Not narrowly averting the end of the world, that's a dime a dozen, but full-on crawling through the wreckage of human civilization.

So I'd love to find some great examples I haven't seen, which is why I turn to you guys. What are your favorites?

(And let's leave zombies out of it. I think most of us are sick of 'em, and there's no need to flood the list with the countless z-movies.)

Paul L
11-21-2012, 07:20 PM
My faves? MAD MAX, obviously. THE LAST MAN ON EARTH and THE OMEGA MAN, SILENT RUNNING, PLANET OF THE APES, PANIC IN YEAR ZERO, A BOY AND HIS DOG (love this movie!), INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, ON THE BEACH, THE WORLD, THE FLESH AND THE DEVIL, Tarkovsky's STALKER. There are so many.

I also enjoyed some of those 1980s STV apocalypse pictures, but the titles of them escape me (THE SURVIVALIST was one, wasn't it?) Albert Pyun has made a small career with his post-apocalypse films too.

Richard--W
11-21-2012, 07:45 PM
They're all good, but my favorite apocalyptic film is DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE.

Ian Jane
11-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Good choices, all.

Just watched a decent one, new (2011), called The Day that I dug. Full review soon.

I have a lot of love for the Italian post nuke cycle. New Barbarians, Bronx Warriors, After The Fall Of New York.

Does People Who Own The Dark count? Code Red says yes, so I'll go with yes too.

Apronikoff
11-21-2012, 08:29 PM
I have a lot of love for the Italian post nuke cycle. New Barbarians, Bronx Warriors, After The Fall Of New York.

I have all three of these and have never watched them. That seems like a good thing to remedy over the Thanksgiving break.

Ian Jane
11-21-2012, 08:36 PM
I have all three of these and have never watched them. That seems like a good thing to remedy over the Thanksgiving break.

Oh man, you're in for a delicious cheesy treat. New Barbarians rules. It has the best 'George Eastman Ass Rapes A Guy' and the best 'Bubble Armor' scenes ever committed to film!

Alex K.
11-21-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm still going to list Fulci's The Beyond. Okay, it had zombies but they weren't the main focus I think. For me it's the definitive apocalyptic art horror film.

Aside from that two films from Carpenter's apocalypse trilogy -The Thing and Prince of Darkness- are very fitting.

Paul L
11-22-2012, 04:00 AM
Agreed with Ian about the Italian post-apocalypse films. The Shameless box set is the way to go for the BRONX WARRIORS films. (I think I've got BRONX WARRIORS on Betamax someplace in the attic.)

My fave of the Italian films is probable ENDGAME, which is still MIA on DVD, isn't it?

Ian Jane
11-22-2012, 10:17 AM
My fave of the Italian films is probable ENDGAME, which is still MIA on DVD, isn't it?

So far as I know, yes, but I have a DVD-R sourced from a VHS. It's a good one. Haven't watched it in years though.

Alex K.
11-22-2012, 02:08 PM
I don't get the appeal of Endgame. 2020 Texas Gladiators was way better.

The Silly Swede
11-22-2012, 03:11 PM
I prefer Interzone myself. A hero named Swan and a monk named Panasonic. You've got to respect that.

Alex K.
11-22-2012, 09:44 PM
I was referring to the D'amato Post Apoc films myself. I just don't get the fanfare for Endgame.

ZoSo
11-22-2012, 10:42 PM
I also am a fan of the Italian post-apoc flicks.

Another one that I really love due to the cheesy is "Warrior of the Lost World" which was parodied on MST3K I do believe.

Quot
11-22-2012, 10:58 PM
When I was a kid, I loved Roger Corman's cheapie, The Day the World Ended (1955). Today, probably not so much.

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff324/astrojester/end1.jpg

Boy, I miss those carefree days of nuclear fallout flicks and radioactive monsters. Those were some good heebie-jeebies.

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff324/astrojester/end2.png

I think it was filmed in and around someone's house close to Bronson Canyon in LA. Special effects "guru", Paul Blaisdell (The Beast With a Million Eyes) played the mutant. He also played the monster in Voodoo Woman (1956), the She-Creature in The She-Creature (1956) and the monster in It Conquered the World (1956), immortalized in the Frank Zappa song, Cheepnis. That was the one with the monster that looked like a teepee with teeth at the bottom.

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff324/astrojester/it.jpg

"Aaargh! Imma git ya."

Randy G
11-23-2012, 03:24 AM
The Last Battle by Luc Besson was pretty memorable.

Paul L
11-23-2012, 03:33 AM
I was referring to the D'amato Post Apoc films myself. I just don't get the fanfare for Endgame.
Ah, you're just not hep to it, daddio :biggrin:

2020 TEXAS GLADIATORS is good. That one deserves a decent DVD release too.

Ian Jane
11-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Another one that I really love due to the cheesy is "Warrior of the Lost World" which was parodied on MST3K I do believe.

Yes it was, and what a great job they did with that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J79gJc-99iE

Alex K.
11-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Rifftrax did Warriors of the Wasteland and that was pretty good.

ZoSo
11-25-2012, 01:48 AM
Watched "Land of Doom" (1986) on netflix today. I already forgot what happened.