PDA

View Full Version : Curtains

Ian Jane
11-26-2012, 12:49 PM
OK, I'm splitting this off from the big ol' Slashers thread to get some more specific information the this specific movie.

So... Andrew has stated that his VHS version looks better than the DVD release. I know this has been released by Platinum but also by Echo Bridge. While I'm assuming that these versions probably look the same no one seems to really know for sure.

So I looked around on CG to see if there was a proper widescreen version kicking around, looking for anything really, even a fan made edition or some evidence of some sort of officially released foreign version, no dice.

I did, however, find these screen caps that are taken from the Echo Bridge release. While they certainly don't look great, I kind of expected worse given all the negative talk about the image quality - but with that said obviously there's a lot of room for improvement.

Andrew Monroe
11-26-2012, 01:08 PM
I have the Echo Bridge disc, it's markedly darker than my tape. Btw, you can see part of the best kill there, the creepy frozen pond sequence, in the top grab. And that spooky doll! I have never heard of a widescreen version anywhere.

The great book about Canadian horror films, They Came From Within, has some interesting info about the film. It was originally conceived to be a supernatural slasher ala THE INCUBUS, it was to be about a 500 year old banshee (designed by Greg Cannom but never used in the film). Also, the director wanted Klaus Kinski for the role of Jonathan Stryker but had to settle for John Vernon. The producer wasn't happy with the director's finished cut and a year later did 2 weeks of reshoots, spicing up the kills among other things. The director, Richard Ciupka, had his name removed and the film was credited to Jonathan Stryker - the name of the director character in the film, played by Vernon.

Ian Jane
11-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Interesting stuff. There's enough 'weird' surrounding this one from the sounds of it that it'd make a good special edition release with a commentary or something. This'd be right up Code Red's alley but I know that as it's been released multiple times via bargain discs that he probably wouldn't bother with it. Hopefully someone else will give it a proper release or Echo Bridge will wise up and treat it right (they have done some decent Blu-ray releases lately).

Andrew Monroe
11-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Another example of this hard luck film's troubles; from The Mammoth Book Of Slasher Movies: The lead actress, Celine Lamez, was fired when she refused to appear in a full frontal nude scene. Her scenes had to be reshot using her understudy, Linda Thornson, thus adding the spiralling costs of the film.

Gary Banks
11-26-2012, 04:07 PM
I saw this at the drive in on a double bill with Xtro. Fun for the whole family!!

Ian Jane
11-26-2012, 04:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRw-gM3ljvs

Paul L
11-26-2012, 08:46 PM
I've got the 1980s UK VHS release of this in my box room someplace. I must dig it out and dust off my VHS recorder sometime soon. I haven't seen it in 20 years, at a guess.

Newt Cox
11-27-2012, 05:50 AM
The DVD also has a smeary look to it when ever there is any fast action. It looks like someone took a 20 year old ex-rental vhs tape and transferred that to DVD. I knew before I bought it that it looked pretty crappy. But it was $5 for a dvd with it and 3 other films. The other 3 films sucked ass.

Clive Smith
11-27-2012, 08:21 AM
My old UK pre-cert tape (FilmTown/VideoSpace) looks a hell of a lot better than those caps. Presumably same as the one in Paul's box room. Hmm, there must be good things in that room.

Paul L
11-27-2012, 08:53 AM
There are indeed some cassette-shaped treasures to be found in my box room, Clive.

Clive Smith
11-27-2012, 10:59 AM
See.

With the exception of Curtains, we must be pretty much there on Canadian tax shelter pics by now?

Ian Jane
11-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Is a box room just room full of boxes of stuff?

Clive Smith
11-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Pretty much. It's generally a room that's a little too small to be a bedroom. Junk and clutter rooms. Paul has one and so do I. Both rooms contain CURTAINS on VHS.

Paul L
11-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Is a box room just room full of boxes of stuff?
And here I was thinking box rooms were universal, like Jaffa Cakes or summat :biggrin: Do you not have them over in your neck of the woods, Ian?

Ian Jane
11-27-2012, 01:04 PM
We have closets, some bigger than others. Not a dedicated room for boxes though.

My closet does not contain Curtains on VHS, so you guys are one up on me there.

Andrew Monroe
11-27-2012, 01:14 PM
I have a spare bedroom that's dedicated to comic book boxes, books, records, and vhs and dvds. In the room is a dresser in which 2 drawers are filled with dvds and one with vhs. CURTAINS is among those. Very eerie how all over the world CURTAINS is lurking in empty rooms...

Clive Smith
11-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Spooky.

Andrew, have you got Antonio Margheriti's KILLER FISH on VHS in the same drawer? That would be spooky.

Andrew Monroe
11-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Can't say I do, Clive. Among the treasures in that drawer are DESPERATE TARGET w/Chris Mitchum, ELIMINATORS w/Andrew Prine, and EDGE OF THE AXE.

But in the room is a closet with even more dvds and tapes and on top of the dvd pile is a very forlorn and hopeless copy of THE WIND from Mastorakis.

Clive Smith
11-27-2012, 01:51 PM
a very forlorn and hopeless copy of THE WIND from Mastorakis.

David McCallum phones in and Robert Morley wheezes at Meg. I love this film. Anyway...

CURTAINS tonight for me.

Paul L
11-27-2012, 04:18 PM
I unearthed my copy of CURTAINS too. Now to dust off my trusty old VHS player.

Roderick
11-27-2012, 04:25 PM
CURTAINS tonight for me.

RIP Clive.

Andrew Monroe
11-27-2012, 05:13 PM
This poster makes me think it was possibly done while the 500 year old banshee plot was still a go (just the visuals not the cast etc). The "something is watching" line and the old crow looks a bit different from the mask in the film.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdinnbyqSz1r9f88ao1_500.jpg

Jamie Edwards
11-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Btw, you can see part of the best kill there, the creepy frozen pond sequence, in the top grab. And that spooky doll!

That 'ice skating sequence' and the doll were my two favorite things about it. Those screen shots Ian put up look about the same as the version on Hulu.

Wernski
11-30-2012, 05:37 AM
I have a rip of Curtains (got it at some convention, that looks a bit different than the shots posted. I made a couple comparisons. Certainly, the colors and brightness look better, but at the end of the day, they're fuzzy VHS rips. I'd love to see a real restoration of this one.

sukebanboy
11-30-2012, 05:39 AM
Fuzzy VHS tapes rule!

Ian Jane
04-30-2014, 09:40 AM
From Fangoria: (http://www.fangoria.com/new/exclusive-newsart-canadian-cult-slasher-curtains-on-blu-ray-dvd/)

After more than three decades of absence from the home-video scene, the Canadian horror film CURTAINS is set to make its digital disc debut this summer, and we’ve got the first word on the complete specs plus the cover art.

Synapse Films issues CURTAINS on DVD and Blu-ray July 8, with a brand new 2K high-definition transfer from original vault materials (presented in 1.78:1 widescreen) and a 5.1 Surround remix (DTS-HD MA on the Blu-ray, Dolby Digital on the DVD). First released in 1983, CURTAINS was directed by “Jonathan Stryker,” a pseudonym (reflecting the movie’s troubled production) that’s also the name of its lead character played by John Vernon. Seeking just the right actress for his latest production, he invites a group of women to his remote mansion, where they’re joined by Samantha Sherwood (Samantha Eggar), who went so far as to get herself committed to an asylum to prepare for the part. Soon, a mysterious killer in an old-woman mask starts bumping off the hopefuls. The striking lineup of special features includes:

• Audio commentary by stars Lesleh Donaldson and Lynne Griffin
• Audio commentary by producer Peter R. Simpson
• Audio commentary by Eggar
• “The Ultimate Nightmare: The Making of CURTAINS” documentary including interviews with director Richard Ciupka, actresses Donaldson and Griffin, editor Michael MacLaverty, makeup FX creator Greg Cannom and composer Paul Zaza
• Theatrical trailer

Retail prices are $19.95 for the DVD, $24.95 for the Blu-ray.

Ian Jane
04-30-2014, 09:41 AM

Andrew Monroe
04-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Wow, three commentaries! I rarely listen to them these days but I'm pretty excited about these, there should be some good stories about the troubled production. The making of sounds promising as well. Seeing this film all spiffed up will be cool.

Derrick King
04-30-2014, 06:31 PM
Don posted on facebook that Fango got the specs wrong, the last two aren't commentaries, they are audio interviews

I think Fango "fixed" the article, but the Peter Simpson and Eggar audio are vintage interviews, and not commentaries. Peter Simpson is dead, so obviously, he didn't do commentary for us.

Consigliere
05-02-2014, 07:14 AM
Damn, with this, The Final Terror, Deadly Eyes and the Herzog collection, July is gonna wipe my bank account.

Christian Bates-Hardy
05-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Diabolik has these listed for pre-order as $17.99 for the Blu and $13.99 for the DVD

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/Preorders/page2.html

Ian Jane
05-27-2014, 05:59 PM

Andrew Monroe
05-28-2014, 07:40 AM
Damn, I can't wait for this! As a long time slasher fan it's thrilling to see these rather rare ones getting blu-ray releases. We're in the midst of a golden age if you dig these films, what with SLEEPAWAY CAMP and the already released HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW and JUST BEFORE DAWN. And THE FINAL TERROR is coming around the same time as CURTAINS. Good stuff...now if we could get THE PREY on BD. Hell, I bet CURTAINS on BD will look better than it did when I saw it theatrically.

Clive Smith
05-28-2014, 08:54 AM
Yeah, and GRADUATION DAY soon from VS.

Alex K.
05-28-2014, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't call it a classic really. Has a good ending though.

Ian Jane
05-30-2014, 04:33 PM
CAV just announced that Curtains is Region A/Region 1 and not Region Free as indicated in the sell sheet above.

Barry M
07-18-2014, 01:10 AM
Rue Morgue showed this tonight at the Royal in Toronto: a lot of fun, and it looked great. Lynne Griffin was there for an entertaining Q&A -- the commentary she recorded for the disc sounds like it'll be good.

Ryan Clark
07-20-2014, 04:13 PM
I preordered Curtains on Blu-ray a few days ago from Deep Discount for $15.99, and since I had a 15% off coupon, I got it for only $13.59. Hell yeah!