PDA

View Full Version : Posters I'm making.

Dom D
11-27-2012, 07:42 AM
I plan on making a fair few posters for my new film so I figured I'd start a new thread to get the good word from you folks on which is the best. This is the first out of the gate. Waddya think?

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg298/dankfilms/OTYDGTeaser.jpg

Ian Jane
11-27-2012, 11:26 AM
It definitely gets your attention. Foxy but kinda classy too. Has a nice noirish old school vibe.

Dom D
11-29-2012, 03:32 AM
Whew this one took a little while to put together.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg298/dankfilms/OTYDGTeaserjasperfinesmall.jpg

Ian Jane
11-29-2012, 10:19 AM
I like the first one better but that could be my aversion to purple.

sukebanboy
11-29-2012, 11:21 AM
I prefer the first one to......and also, they seem a little....erm...NEW?.....MODERN?.....need to be NOIR-ed up a little......

Dom D
11-29-2012, 05:37 PM
I prefer the first one to......and also, they seem a little....erm...NEW?.....MODERN?.....need to be NOIR-ed up a little......

A couple of people have mentioned that about the posters and the trailers. But it's kind of the point. I could knock one up that looks like these: http://wheredangerlives.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/100-greatest-posters-of-film-noir.html (awesome site of someones 100 favourite noir posters) but I think that would be wrong. The film is not pastiche-y at all. It's a modern thriller- lots of sex, lots violence, lots of strong language- that happens to be about a private eye in 1949. I'm very bored by fake pastiche-y noir. If it's not hardboiled it's missing the point.

So far I've got 7-1 for the first poster. And the 1 is me. Once I've cleared up a couple of those flyaway feathers I think that ones going to look cool. Cutting a feathfer boa out of a background is a hell of a lot less fun than it sounds. And it sounds like a shit job to start with.

Apronikoff
11-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Count me as a vote for the second. The colors are really striking in that one, and there's something about her stare that's kinda mesmerizing.

Alison Jane
11-29-2012, 06:55 PM
First one. Second one looks like CGI.

Dom D
11-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Do you mean the cut out of the girl or more than that? I'm definitely going to need to get back in there and clean that. After four hours of cutting out between feathers I cracked the shits and called it good enough.

sukebanboy
11-29-2012, 08:05 PM
I could knock one up that looks like these: http://wheredangerlives.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/100-greatest-posters-of-film-noir.html (awesome site of someones 100 favourite noir posters) but I think that would be wrong. The film is not pastiche-y at all. It's a modern thriller- lots of sex, lots violence, lots of strong language- that happens to be about a private eye in 1949. I'm very bored by fake pastiche-y noir. If it's not hardboiled it's missing the point.

No I didn't mean make it look like a noir movie from the 1950's.....I like the image a lot (who wouldn't!!! ) but seems a bit "clean" not sure that is an accurate word.....It needs to look "rougher" or "grittier" with its use of COLORS....

Maybe it is because the background is too bright/plain??

Christ my English language skills are shite!!!

Like these "dirtier" colors...
http://www.prlog.org/11898711-black-tar-road-poster.jpg

Ian Jane
11-29-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm actually gonna respectfully disagree with you, Suke, I don't think adding effects like those in the example above would make a better poster. Looks kinda forced and 'faux grindhouse' like it's supposed to look like a worn out old one sheet.

sukebanboy
11-29-2012, 08:41 PM
And now they are ALL against me!!!!!!:funny:

Alison Jane
11-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Christ my English language skills are shite!!!

Is English not your first language?

sukebanboy
11-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Is English not your first language?

LOL..

It IS...though you might not believe me sometimes....:cuckoo:

Dom D
11-30-2012, 02:43 AM
Like these "dirtier" colors...

Ah, I get ya. Yeah we did something like that with my second film. I think the reason we're using such clean imagery this time around is we're trying to sell the idea of the film being classy. Classy but chock full of exploitation elements. Probably the first poster communicates that better. A grubby poster I think says that the film is more of a standard exploitation flick. Plus clean will pop off the wall more in a cinema. But, yup, I get where you're coming from.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg298/dankfilms/PhotographybyAngelaMcConnell-20100819-1747-7sml.jpg

sukebanboy
11-30-2012, 05:20 AM
Thank you Dom....you have restored my faith in my own communication skills!!!:biggrin:

Yeah...that Burlesque poster uses the kinds of colors that I was trying to say.....I didn't realise you'd PURPOSELY avoided that kind of color scheme...and now it makes sense why you chose to do a much "cleaner" poster for this new one....

(BTW..that's one HELL of a great poster for Burlesque:love:!!!)

PPS: Did you SUE the makers of that Christina Aguilera movie for stealing your title???

scratch that...look at all THESE titles with BURLESQUE in them....

Burlesque Fairytales (2010)
Burlesque Undressed (2010)
Nights of Burlesque (2012)
Burlesque Assassins (2012)
Burlesque Massacre (2011)

Dom D
11-30-2012, 08:48 AM
(BTW..that's one HELL of a great poster for Burlesque:love:!!!)

Thanks! Looking at it now there's a few things I'd change but considering how it was made it's not bad. I can't remember why now but we needed a poster in two days. Day 1 we did the photo shoot. Day 2 we sat down in front of photoshop and thought "how the fuck does this work?!!" Not the worlds most intuitive program but we just kept pressing buttons until that came up. A rewarding half dozen hours or so.

PPS: Did you SUE the makers of that Christina Aguilera movie for stealing your title???

No, but I'm pissed they got Burlesque[I] on the imdb to our Burlesque[II] considering we were first out of the gate. Actually was an absolutely cracking good thing for publicity at the time. We got the front page of a crappy tabloid newspaper at one point thanks to that film.

sukebanboy
11-30-2012, 10:27 AM
we just kept pressing buttons until that came up.

Thats usually how it happens.....sheer co-incidence and randomness and dont-really-know-how-to-use-the-program-properly!!

Actually was an absolutely cracking good thing for publicity at the time. We got the front page of a crappy tabloid newspaper at one point thanks to that film.

ALL publicity is good publicity right??

And, you can be proud that I think 9 out of 10 times YOUR Burlesque poster woudl be chosen over that shitty Aguilera / Cher cover that their AD agency spent millions of dollars on!!

sukebanboy
01-17-2013, 06:14 AM
Made a final decision yet Dom?