PDA

View Full Version : Best Payoff In A Horror Flick?

Robert W
11-27-2012, 07:37 PM
For my money it was Jason's "death" at the end of Friday the 13th Pt.4. To this day I've never seen such a visceral, enthusiastic response from an audience.

So what's your favorite?

Alex K.
11-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Rhodes in Day of the Dead.

Alison Jane
11-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Neat topic, I will think on this!

Ian Jane
11-27-2012, 08:18 PM
So many to choose from!

Spinell's death at the end of Maniac stands out.

Alex K.
11-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Johnny in I Spit on Your Grave.

"It's so sweet it's painful."

Marshall Crist
11-27-2012, 08:52 PM
For my money it was Jason's "death" at the end of Friday the 13th Pt.4. To this day I've never seen such a visceral, enthusiastic response from an audience.

This was my first thought as well. I saw it with a black audience and they absolutely lost their shit during the finale. People were running up and down the aisles, and one guy was standing on his chair. Not the part where you plant your ass, but the head-rest, somehow. There was still pandemonium when the movie started to fade-in on the hospital epilogue, but the SECOND that happened there was absolute silence because the audience NEEDED to hear what was going on. It was beautiful.

Koukol
11-27-2012, 08:52 PM
I find the ending in WITCHFINDER GENERAL rather satisfying.

Robert W
11-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Savini is, imo, the undisputed king of the "apeshit" endings. I saw Creepshow, F13th Pt. 4, and Day of the Dead in a theater and those films had, by far, the biggest audience reactions I'd ever seen.

Paul Casey
11-27-2012, 10:15 PM
This was my first thought as well. I saw it with a black audience and they absolutely lost their shit during the finale. People were running up and down the aisles, and one guy was standing on his chair. Not the part where you plant your ass, but the head-rest, somehow. There was still pandemonium when the movie started to fade-in on the hospital epilogue, but the SECOND that happened there was absolute silence because the audience NEEDED to hear what was going on. It was beautiful.

This is awesome.

ZoSo
11-27-2012, 11:47 PM

Where did you see it, The Apollo!?

Randy G
11-28-2012, 12:22 AM
The ending of Audition seems to really get people going, never seen it in a theatre unfortunately but whenever it comes up you can see people's reaction in retrospect.

Marshall Crist
11-28-2012, 01:09 AM
Where did you see it, The Apollo!?

LOL. It was the AMC 6 in Hawthorne, CA, most likely in its opening week. Saw many an 80s horror flick there because they would condescend to play schlockier stuff like 7 DOORS OF DEATH, FALL BREAK, DORM THAT DRIPPED BLOOD and SOLE SURVIVOR. Other times I'd opt for the drive-in if the second feature was one I couldn't pass up.

Dick Ringeisen
11-28-2012, 04:00 AM
LOL. It was the AMC 6 in Hawthorne, CA, most likely in its opening week. Saw many an 80s horror flick there because they would condescend to play schlockier stuff like 7 DOORS OF DEATH, FALL BREAK, DORM THAT DRIPPED BLOOD and SOLE SURVIVOR. Other times I'd opt for the drive-in if the second feature was one I couldn't pass up.

That reminds me of when I went to see Demon Knight, Tales from the Crypt. I have no idea why I went to a certain, or how the person I was with chose it. Maybe all the others were sold out? Anyway, it was also in a not very nice area, and someplace most people avoid after dark, unless you live around there. Anyway, It was either a 10pm, or midnight showing.

Well, the audience was a bit decent, talkative, enthusiastic, overall a funny crowd. Things gradually progressed, lots of laughter at times, some comments here and there, but quiet enough. However, when Billy Zane punches someone in the face, the crowd fucking lost it. I recall hearing a lot of, "OH SHIT!!!!!!!" etc. People were a bit rowdy for a while, laughing, etc. The rest of the movie had it's moments similar to that, but not quite the same as when that punch happened. The punch did get the ball rolling, though. The crowd wasn't quite the same after that.

I also recall the toilets being pretty filthy. That place, from what I know, was a pretty old movie theatre, that closed for good soon after I saw that movie. As far as I know it's still standing, but, no one wants to do anything with it...

Ian Jane
11-28-2012, 10:49 AM
I saw Single White Female in the theater at the mall as a kid. I remember sneaking some beers in and then our empty beer cans rolling from the back of the theate down to the front and making a lot of noise and having to hide from the ushers. But that's beside the point. During the big finale, the greenhouse scene, this big heavy black dude (big heavy black dudes are rare in Niagara Falls, Canada) stood up and threw his hands in the air and at the top of his lungs yelled out 'MASHED POTATOES!'

I don't know that the pay off in that movie was that good, but he seemed to think so.

Randy's suggestion of Audition is a tough one to top. First time I saw that movie it made me squirm like crazy.

Newt Cox
11-28-2012, 07:10 PM
The ending of Phantasm Oblivion stands out to me as a great payoff.

Randy G
11-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Randy's suggestion of Audition is a tough one to top. First time I saw that movie it made me squirm like crazy.

I recommended Audition to a friend and she said that when she watched it with another friend they asked her to walk her out to the car after the movie as it freaked them out a bit too much. Always a good sign when a horror film gets that kind of reaction.

Tommy Pistol
11-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Jim Siedow as The Cook Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

Scott
11-28-2012, 09:14 PM
The ending of Phantasm Oblivion stands out to me as a great payoff.

I liked this too, I was suprised how effective the older unused footage was. If I didn't know any better I'd say they planned it that way from the beginning. But yeah, perfect ending to the whole series.

Tommy Pistol
11-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Shit wait did Jim die or did Vanita "Stretch" Brook just releave him of his hemrodes?

Tommy Pistol
11-28-2012, 09:22 PM
I know a movie where a girls face is shaved off with a cheese grader. Wink wink:)

Newt Cox
11-29-2012, 12:51 AM
I liked this too, I was suprised how effective the older unused footage was. If I didn't know any better I'd say they planned it that way from the beginning. But yeah, perfect ending to the whole series.

Yeah when Oblivion hit VHS I was very excited. Mainly cause Phantasm is my second favorite horror series. Paid way too much for the VHS and gathered a bunch of friends to watch it. I was the only one that liked the ending. The rest of them crapped on it. But over the years most of them have come to also love the ending. Since it looks like we will never get a 5th Phantasm film,4's ending is a nice way to wrap up the series.

Jamie Edwards
11-29-2012, 02:25 PM
I should say SPOILERS, I don't want to ruin these for anyone..

Happy Birthday To Me - That batsh** crazy 'birthday party' is brilliant. I couldn't guess who the killer was either.

Rock 'N' Roll Nightmare

Blood Waters Of Dr. Z - People write this off as a goofy 'guy in a rubber suit movie'. But the end when the music is playing, the woman is desending down the beach into the sea, and the poor guy is calling to her in vain.. Yeah, most of the movie is a man-fish out for revenge, but that's not a typical rubber suit monster movie ending for sure. And it's very memorable.

Grizzly

Apronikoff
11-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Well to me, if you wanna talk about a really satisfying moment in a horror movie where a bad guy/monster gets what they deserve, there's one answer that stands above all others. I should definitely post SPOILER warners for this one though.

FRANKENSTEIN -- when the little girl drowns. Bitch had it coming.

:bruce:

Mike Howlett
11-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Silly by now, maybe, but I saw the first FRIDAY THE 13TH at a drive in with my friends when it came out and that mini-Jason popping out of the water made us all jump a foot!

sukebanboy
11-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Maybe I will get booed for this...but the ending of the original SCREAM made me smile.....not just one killer...very good!