PDA

View Full Version : V/H/S - Out Today on DVD/Blu-ray

Ian Jane
12-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Has anyone seen this yet? The poster art is awesome.

The trailer is intriguing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmLh4NUu6E4

Bloody Disgusting has an interview up with the filmmakers here (http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3206126/vhs-is-available-on-dvd-and-blu-ray-today-the-filmmakers-talk-about-their-segments/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter).

Andrew Monroe
12-04-2012, 01:04 PM
I liked what I heard about this enough to order it, should have it today but I probably won't get to it until the weekend.

Horace Cordier
12-04-2012, 01:06 PM
I like the poster too. I liked it even better when it was used for VISITING HOURS.

Ian Jane
12-04-2012, 01:15 PM
There's definitely a resemblence, but the Visiting Hours poster wasn't made out of VHS tapes.

Horace Cordier
12-04-2012, 01:44 PM
True. I'm a sucker for anthology films so I'm going to pick this one up.

Gary Banks
12-04-2012, 08:53 PM
I watched it and for the most part liked it. The second story (by Ty West) was the least interesting. The last two stories were pretty creepy
and you have to supply your own answers to a couple of the stories. It probably plays a lot better in a theater with a crowd.

Scott MacDonald
12-05-2012, 12:18 AM
I got it to review before finding out it's a found footage film, and that I probably cannot watch it. I'm sending it to someone else for that now.

Nolando
12-05-2012, 09:17 AM
I watched it (review over on my blogpost site) and enjoyed it for the most part. I found the overall story (the one supposedly linking them all together) to be the weakest one and the first story is the best one. I've been trying to defend the Ti West story to friends that have seen it as well. The filmmakers' choice of footage for end credits sincerely pissed me off, tho'.

Ian Jane
12-13-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm actually with you on both points. Watched it last night and the bookends story wasn't all that well done, I thought it was kind of irritating though. I did dig the other four stories and thought West's was really well done and the most plausible of the four. Overall I dug this, some good jump scares but some good atmosphere and tension too. A few cool ideas, pretty well done. A very hard R too - gorier and a bit sexier than I expected it to be.

The sequel, S/V/H/S, has been announced. Hopefully it's as good.

Randy G
12-14-2012, 05:44 AM
I was surprised to find West's section the weakest, besides the wrap-around story, but wrap-around stories almost always suck (can you think of a good one?) so that's par for the course. I thought the first and last stories were the strongest.

sukebanboy
12-14-2012, 08:19 AM
The sequel, S/V/H/S, has been announced.

PART 3 will be called VCD...or DVD?...Maybe LASERDISC!

Ian Jane
12-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Or B/E/T/A?

Randy, you didn't like West's bit? I felt it the strongest. Would rank them as follows:

Second Honeymoon (West)
10/31/98 (Radio Silence)
The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger (Swanberg)
Amateur Night (Bruckner)
Tuesday The 17th (McQuaid)

And then then linking segments, which I felt were pretty weak. Overall though, I really liked this movie.

Andrew Monroe
12-14-2012, 11:06 AM
I liked the first story quite a bit, it was genuinely creepy. The rest though left me cold and I actively hated the linking bits. I also thought the film was too long, could have been tightened up in spots.

Apronikoff
12-14-2012, 02:28 PM
So is the whole thing found footage/shaky-cam? or just the frame story? Between Ti West's involvement and my love for anthology films I'd really like to see it...but at this point I'm not going to watch another movie that can't be bothered with "luxuries" like tripods.

Gary Banks
12-14-2012, 02:42 PM
You may not be too thrilled with it as it definitely has the found footage & shaky cam thing going on.

Ian Jane
12-14-2012, 02:51 PM
It's pretty much ALL found footage style, some bits more shakey cam than others but they all use it to some extent, Ti West's story being the least guilty.

Apronikoff
12-14-2012, 03:08 PM
It's pretty much ALL found footage style, some bits more shakey cam than others but they all use it to some extent, Ti West's story being the least guilty.

Oh. Dang, well I'll pass then.

Randy G
12-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Maybe the Ti West story will improve with a revisit, I found it a bit abrupt and obvious and sketchy. It started well but then just ends and with a twist that seemed a bit too obvious. Not bad per se, but not the strongest either, which I expected his section to be.

I quite liked the first section, directed by Adam Wingard, is his film A Horrible Way to Die worth checking out?

Ian Jane
12-14-2012, 05:26 PM
I quite liked the first section, directed by Adam Wingard, is his film A Horrible Way to Die worth checking out?

It's also got a lot of shaky came in it but I thought it was a good movie.

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/content.php?1820-Horrible-Way-To-Die-A

Ian Jane
12-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Some info on S/V/H/S from Twitch (http://twitchfilm.com/2012/11/get-your-bloody-first-look-at-horror-anthology-s-vhs.html):

"directors this time out include Gareth Evans (The Raid) co-directing with Timo Tjahjanto (Macabre); Eduardo Sanchez (The Blair Witch Project) co-directing with his long time producer Greg Hale; Jason Eisener (Hobo With A Shotgun); Adam Wingard (You're Next) and writer Simon Barrett making his directorial debut."

Alex K.
12-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Sequel should've been called B/E/T/A

Haven't seen VHS yet. Is it worth a rental?

Randy G
12-19-2012, 05:31 AM
Some info on S/V/H/S from Twitch (http://twitchfilm.com/2012/11/get-your-bloody-first-look-at-horror-anthology-s-vhs.html):

"directors this time out include Gareth Evans (The Raid) co-directing with Timo Tjahjanto (Macabre)

That combo should be awesome.

Thanks for the review too Ian, I'm not really down on shaky cam as much as many others, although I disliked Blair Witch, the Citizen Kane of shaky cam films I suppose.

Alex, I think it's worth a rental.

Ian Jane
01-16-2013, 02:36 PM
There's a promo spot up for S-VHS up here (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/01/16/sundance-svhs/).

bgart13
01-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Oh lordy, this movie was a steaming pile! Why does there need to be a sequel??

Ian Jane
01-16-2013, 03:31 PM
I liked it! They made the sequel just for me.

bgart13
01-16-2013, 04:16 PM
I bet they did...