PDA

View Full Version : Tower of Evil (1972) aka: Horror on Snape Island!

Scott
12-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Since picking up the Elite disc cheap I've found myself watching this a couple times a week and not slowing down. This is a great proto-slasher! Tits, ass, weed, flashing lights, treasure, family mysteries and loads of great atmosphere! Mostly set bound (and and with miniatures!), and what a great set it is, the whole thing takes place on a small island with a spooky lighthouse and caves! Teenage kids go there to party and get stabbed! This is exactly what I want from my movies. The chicks are foxy and the guys are hunky. Some great early 70's brit-style abounds.

I saw Marshall posted about it on another board (Latarnia?), saying the VHS shows more head room and more importantly bush room! Too bad about the dvd, it looks otherwise to be framed just fine and the color really pops even though it's non-anamorphic.

Does anybody love this movie the way I (and Marshall) love this movie?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vMF8CSYUHe8/TdMfvJC0ABI/AAAAAAAAAXM/Vm99cFAXv2A/s1600/Tower+of+Evil+1972.jpg

John Bernhard
12-12-2012, 05:40 PM
It's one of Richard Gordon's best productions. Even the potentially lethal combo of Robin Askwith Briant Haliday fails to ruin the proceedings.

I first caught it as BEYOND THE FOG ( when it was re issued to cash in on Carpenter's big hit ) and then later shredded on television. The old Gorgon VHS was a treat and a revealation, as it had the uncut version featuring more blood and boobs than the R rated cut offered.
I thought I read somewhere this was Blu bound next year...I'll certainly sign up for another boatride out to that foggy lighthouse.

Gary Banks
12-12-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm a big fan of it and am looking forward to the bd.

Ian Jane
12-13-2012, 10:08 AM
I have to admit that I don't think I've ever seen this but have been on a minor British horror kick lately. Makes sense that I should try and correct this.

Anyone know of a proper anamorphic release, maybe in the UK?

Clive Smith
12-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Yeah, the UK DVD's anamorphic but doesn't look any better than the old Elite disc. It's OOP so has slightly inflated prices at the moment.

Ian Jane
12-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Ok. I guess the Elite is the way to go then. I can always zoom in to get over non-anamorphic phobia.

Scott
12-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Ok. I guess the Elite is the way to go then. I can always zoom in to get over non-anamorphic phobia.

Let us know what you think about it, I feel like it right up R!S!P!'s alley.

Andrew Monroe
12-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Is this really coming out on BD? I have the Elite dvd and am reminded by this thread I need to revisit it but I'll wait if so. I agree, it's a good early slasher with tons of atmosphere and quite violent too.

Another reason this one is boss - Jill Haworth.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QciBGuTbO6A/TfObvDo_paI/AAAAAAAAEV0/MwMnPmeLeeg/s400/JILL+HAWORTH+TOWER+OF+EVIL+01+MMW.JPG

Ian Jane
12-13-2012, 01:43 PM
I believe Scorpion has it on tap for 2013.

Horace Cordier
12-13-2012, 02:53 PM
It's an awesome flick. A sexy slasher with an almost Hammer visual vibe.

I have the old Elite box that threw this in with the ludicrous INSEMINOID, HORROR HOSPITAL and CURSE OF THE VOODOO.

Gary Banks
12-13-2012, 03:35 PM
It's an awesome flick. A sexy slasher with an almost Hammer visual vibe.

I have the old Elite box that threw this in with the ludicrous INSEMINOID, HORROR HOSPITAL and CURSE OF THE VOODOO.

I picked up this box set years ago for around $10 which was a great deal at the time.

Scott
12-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Is this really coming out on BD? I have the Elite dvd and am reminded by this thread I need to revisit it but I'll wait if so. I agree, it's a good early slasher with tons of atmosphere and quite violent too.

Another reason this one is boss - Jill Haworth.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QciBGuTbO6A/TfObvDo_paI/AAAAAAAAEV0/MwMnPmeLeeg/s400/JILL+HAWORTH+TOWER+OF+EVIL+01+MMW.JPG

Alas, the only chick who doesn't get nekkid in the film.

How are the other films in the set, INSEMINOID and HORROR HOSPITAL?

Ian Jane
12-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Both are worth seeing and available in better versions than in the Elite set. Inseminoid is a fun, cheap Alien knock off sort of thing from Norman J. Warren and Horror Hospital is just plain cool.

Andrew Monroe
12-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Yeah, IMSEMINOID gets beat on in certain circles but I find that much like Warren's other horror films, there's something faintly disturbing about it. Double it up with XTRO for a gruesome alien encounter double bill. There's something just plain wrong that Judy Geeson is in INSEMINOID...TO SIR WITH LOVE it ain't! HORROR HOSPITAL is a hell of a lot of fun but I didn't like CURSE OF THE VOODOO. I have the UK Warren set and it is indeed much better looking than the Elite disc.

paul h.
12-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Scott, you convinced me. I've ordered the Elite disc. Thanks!

Scott
12-13-2012, 08:43 PM
You're welcome! I think you'll like it. Let us know what you think.

paul h.
12-13-2012, 09:12 PM
From what I've seen so far it reminds me of the the faux trailer for "DON'T" (er...or vice versa). And that is a good thing.

Scorpion
12-13-2012, 10:41 PM
yes, shooting for either April or May release.

Ian Jane
12-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Awesome.

Andrew Monroe
12-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I will double dip on this. I couldn't wait for the BD though after this thread had rekindled my interest so I watched the Elite disc last night. I'd forgotten how many red herrings there were in this, at least 3 of the men are shifty and lie about how much they know/visit the island. I like how this film totally jumps right to the grue out of the gate, the opening really sets the tone for a spooky, violent shocker. They did wonders with what was undoubtedly a miniscule budget.

I hope I don't spook Ian with this comment but I think this film probably influenced HELL NIGHT.

Ian Jane
12-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Haha, I'm still intrigued Andrew. I'm gonna wait for the Scorpion Blu-ray though.

Clive Smith
12-14-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm really looking forward to this. I watched it again as soon as Scott had posted the family portrait grab in the 'people who look like Ian Jane' thread.

Scott
12-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Pretty much every screencap I've been posting lately is from this movie.

It does have a HELL NIGHT vibe. But it's much sleezier and sillier.

John Bernhard
12-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Here is a nice SNAPE ISLAND lobby. So glad this is getting a facelift :)
http://i.imgur.com/s5hmW.jpg

Randy G
12-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Have this but haven't got around to watching it, will do so soon so I can pick up the BR if I like it, which from what I've read her I suspect I will.

Jonny
12-18-2012, 07:22 PM
I made a video for my mates band that features some TOWER OF EVIL footage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBobq6gnOWc

Clive Smith
12-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Awesome. Spider Labyrinth too - nice work.

Oh, and where the fuck IS Spider Labyrinth?

Andrew Monroe
07-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Mondo Digital (http://www.mondo-digital.com/towerofevil.html) review of the Scorpion blu.

Ian Jane
07-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Watched this last night. Full review soon but it was a lot of fun. Some great kills. Much gorier and crazier than I expected. A really good looking transfer too.

Toyboy
08-05-2013, 09:22 PM
This thread escaped my attention so I knew nothing of TOWER OF EVIL until DVD Beaver reviewed it on BD. The screen caps struck my fancy and lo and behold the movie ended up on Hulu+. I watch it last night and discovered that I did know what this movie was...HORROR ON SNAPE ISLAND! I'd only heard the radio spot about 11,000 times.

What a great fucking movie! I don't like and therefore do not use this phrase (until now) but this movie is all killer no filler. Beautiful stuff.

Scott
08-05-2013, 10:18 PM
This this movie is all killer no filler. - Matt Allison

George Reeves of the Washington Post says - Strap in for the best boat ride you'll ever take. And probably your last!

Toyboy
08-05-2013, 10:46 PM
This movie made me think of REINCARNATION OF ISABEL with the constant flashbacks, loads of flesh, rad sets and crazy lights. I'll have to buy this BD - Christopher Hitchens

Barry M
08-05-2013, 11:32 PM
Beautiful stuffing, no turkey -- J. L. Kraft

I meant to go down to the store that puts stuff out before release date this weekend and see if they'd got the blu-ray yet; they had the dvd out in advance last weekend (or was it the one before?).

paul h.
08-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Jump back. I want to kiss myself. Hey heh hey Owwwuh. - James Brown

paul h.
08-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Get on the good foot!

paul h.
08-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Excuse me while I do the boogaloo....

Hey the new blu review is up over at dvdbeaver (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_59/tower_of_evil_blu-ray.htm)

looking good.

Marshall Crist
08-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Sorry to be that guy who posts the same thing on every forum, but, while this is a beautiful disc, it crops nudity that was visible in the 1.33:1 VHS release (as did the Elite disc.)

Clive Smith
08-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Front bottoms? I'll need to check my old Iver VHS...

paul h.
08-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Are comparisons with caps available anywhere? It's uncool to crop out nudity. Man.

or woman.

Barry M
08-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Good to know there's nudity down there, though, even if it's not onscreen.

Maybe if I crouch down under the TV and look up?

Roderick
08-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Sorry to be that guy who posts the same thing on every forum, but, while this is a beautiful disc, it crops nudity that was visible in the 1.33:1 VHS release (as did the Elite disc.)

Aw, fudge. Was this an issue with the old DVD as well? If not I will hold onto it.

Clive Smith
08-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Maybe if I crouch down under the TV and look up?

That may have worked on CRTs but technology's moved on.

Marshall Crist
08-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Aw, fudge. Was this an issue with the old DVD as well? If not I will hold onto it.

The only other DVD I've seen is the Elite disc, and the framing is pretty much identical to the new one.

Jason C
08-07-2013, 02:18 PM

We need some specifics Marshall. I'm a bit of a nude scene completest. I bought the FRATERNITY VACATION VHS since that has the only instance of Kathleen Kinmont's bush on film. How significant of loss are we talking about in TOWER OF EVIL?

Marshall Crist
08-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Are comparisons with caps available anywhere? It's uncool to crop out nudity. Man.

or woman.

I'm at work so can't get super into this at the moment. Here's what I hope is the right clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpYwxkfdKu8

As an example, when she says something along the lines of "I'll dry THAT myself" you can see sweet tetas in the YouTube clip, but not so much on the discs. Sorry I don't have a side-by-side.

paul h.
08-07-2013, 05:05 PM
I'm at work so can't get super into this at the moment. Here's what I hope is the right clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHhZzWCoxw

As an example, when she says something along the lines of "I'll dry THAT myself" you can see sweet tetas in the YouTube clip, but not so much on the discs. Sorry I don't have a side-by-side.

Thanks. I'll appreciate any nudity offered to prove whatever it is that we're talking about. ;)

Marshall Crist
08-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Actually, I fucked up. Here's the correct clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpYwxkfdKu8
Earlier in the film, there's another shot of the same girl running frantically toward the camera as it pulls back and stays just ahead of her. No boobies in the 16x9 versions but, unless I am grossly mistaken, you could see 'em on the old tape. (This was the shot that initially brought the situation to my attention back when the Elite disc came out.) So, no additional/missing front bottom that I am aware of, just good old-fashioned knockers. I've got a copy of the tape on order, so rest assured I will be examining the situation very carefully.

Scott
08-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Thanks, Marshall!
Here's a comparison I did based on that youtube clip versus the old Elite disc. There's definitely more stuff. Too bad. I've only ever seen this movie from this disc, there's still plenty of stuff in the movie and it's still plenty enjoyable. But yeah more stuff the better.

http://i39.tinypic.com/e5iqmq.jpg

Ian Jane
05-14-2017, 01:04 PM

John Bernhard
05-14-2017, 03:19 PM
lol @ Facebook changing Dick Gordon to Dick Shawn Gordon :)

The Scorpion Blu really needed some color work so this is good news.
The Gordon track was on a UK release ( or somewhere ) & I never caught up with it...so more good news!

paul h.
05-14-2017, 05:29 PM
When there's a decision regarding framing to be made, nudity should always win out over additional headroom.

Marshall Crist
05-14-2017, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I appreciated that screengrab comparison. Would be cool to have both "versions" on the disc.

Ian Jane
12-06-2018, 09:31 PM
From FB:

Here is our artwork for the upcoming TOWER OF EVIL blu. The custom art is done by Kung Fu Bob and for Facebook purposes, we had to cover the nudity,
but it will be there in the final version. the first 1,000 will have not only a slip sleeve, but a poster of the custom art as well. The Blu-ray will feature the following:

Brand new 2019 scan with color correction of the original interpositive as well as additional clean up on the audio.

Audio commentary with the late producer Dick Gordon, moderated by Tom Weaver

• Interviews with:
• Actress - Seretta Wilson
• Composer - Kenneth V. Jones
• Editor - Henry Richardson
• Play Movie in Katarina's Nightmare Theater Mode
• Subtitles for the hearing impaired
• Original trailer

The test disc was just approved and has been uploaded to the replicator. We assume it'll probably take about 5 weeks for it to ship out and we will have more updates then.