PDA

View Full Version : The House That Dripped Blood

Ian Jane
12-14-2012, 11:39 AM
From The Digital Bits (http://www.digitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/111312_1500):

"Hen’s Tooth Video will release the classic The House That Dripped Blood on DVD on 2/26 (SRP $19.95). The video will be anamorphic widescreen. The film stars Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing."

So I guess that means the Severin Blu-ray isn't going to be happening unfortunately.

Andrew Monroe
12-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Oh, that is disappointing that the BD isn't going to happen. I was holding off watching this again for that but now I will get to it.

mmyersisgod
12-15-2012, 11:47 PM
I thought Synapse was supposed to put out the BD?

Ian Jane
12-16-2012, 10:54 AM
I don't think that was ever announced, it was always Severin so far as I know.

Richard--W
03-02-2013, 01:23 PM
So, did anyone buy this?
Is it better than the earlier DVD?
I've got the region 1 and the region 2.
Pity there's no blu-ray in sight.

Richard--W
03-17-2013, 02:49 AM
I guess nobody bought this.

bgart13
03-17-2013, 02:51 AM
Dvd Drive-In has a review, states it is a new and (possibly?) improved transfer.

Richard--W
03-17-2013, 11:14 AM
When I read a review that says it's DEFINITELY a new transfer I'll pull the trigger on Buy It Now.

Watched two-thirds of the film last night. Once again I was impressed at how effective the power of suggestion is in this film. It's good storytelling throughout. The score really works. Is it too sedate for today's audience? Is it more or less sedate than Paranormal Activity? I was also reminded of how much is accomplished on a shoestring budget. Yule Tree House is a false front with fake trees and bushes disguising the fact that there are no sidewalls or back or roof on the house. Not that those things are needed. The Carnaby Street fashions date the film rather severely, turn it into a time capsule. But I'm fond of it. I remember seeing it on a HUGE screen, a GIGANTIC screen, MONSTER-sized compared to today so-called large screens. That helps.

What a shame Peter Duffel didn't direct more films in the genre ... of course, if I had directed it, Joanna Dunham would have been scantily clad in her undies instead of completely covered in a nightgown and robe, expressing a sexuality and frustration her preoccupied husband fails to notice, rendering her betrayal with Richard / Dominick understandable. Nyree Dawn Porter would have worn a shorter nightgown exposing her legs and plunging neckline in that scene where she runs to the aid of ailing Christopher Lee perhaps hoping to sound him out. And Salome, the waxed-woman presenting the head on the tray in the wax museum, would have been bare-breasted expressing the same wantoness as her biblical namesake and thus provoking her husband to wield the ax.

bgart13
03-17-2013, 01:11 PM
http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/e-h/housethatdrippedblood71.htm

...this DVD from Hen's Tooth Video is a surprising release and an improvement in terms of quality over Lion's Gate. Like the 2003 disc, the film is presented in its original 1.85:1 aspect ratio with anamorphic enhancement, but the transfer (possibly done in HD, but no indication on the packaging) looks far better. The frequent print speckling and edge enhancement halos on that plagued the Lion's Gate DVD are nowhere to be found here, with the new clean transfer boasting improved color saturation, more accurate fleshtones and far crisper detail, with minor grain detectable in some shots. The mono audio is also much cleaner than what could be found on the Lion's Gate disc, as the background hiss is no longer detectable.

Richard--W
03-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Ben, I respectfully disagree with George's assessment of previous releases. Lions Gate's region 1 DVD and Anchor Bay's region 2 DVD from ten years ago are the same transfer, both widescreen 1.85 and anamorphic, sharp as a razor and very detailed even in the low-lit areas of the frame. Both DVD's have the correct color and density levels, which seems to be getting harder to do with each passing year. The grain is as it should be, and there are no edge enhancement halos. I've always thought it was a superior transfer from the time (2003).

Ian Jane
03-21-2018, 10:12 AM
Full extras on the upcoming Shout! Factory Blu-ray debut:

SCREAM FACTORY PRESENTS THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD IN ITS BLU-RAY DEBUT ARRIVING MAY 8, 2018

Los Angeles, CA – Vampires! Voodoo! Vixens! Victims! Terror waits for you in every room. A quartet of frightening fables is presented in The House That Dripped Blood, which comes to Blu-ray for the first time on May 8, 2018.

A Scotland Yard inspector’s search for a missing film star leads him to a haunted house. The house sets the framework for four separate tales of terror written by the author of Psycho, Robert Bloch, and starring horror icons Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Ingrid Pitt. All four stories center on the mysterious fates of tenants who have leased the mansion over the years.

Special Features:
NEW Audio Commentary by film historian/author Troy Howarth
NEW interview with second assistant director Mike Higgins
Audio Commentary with director Peter Duffell and author Jonathan Rigby
Vintage Featurette - A-Rated Horror Film – featuring interviews with director Peter Duffell, actors Geoffrey Bayldon, Ingrid Pitt and Chloe Franks
Theatrical Trailers (English and Spanish)
Radio Spots
The Amicus Radio Spots Collection
Still Gallery