PDA

View Full Version : Incoming Argent Films Release of DJANGO (Sergio Corbucci, 1966) on BD

Paul L
12-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Does anyone know anything about this release? It's due out later in January and has slipped under my radar until today.

The promotional gumf on Amazon says this: 'Presented here, complete and uncut, remastered in HD from the fully restored negative, pristinely faithful to the original look of Corbucci s film, this is the most definitive version of DJANGO' - which makes me wonder if this is going to feature the same transfer as the BU BD of a few years back.

The disc features some interesting exclusive extras. Does anyone know any firm info about this release?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71aonxADq1L._AA1500_.jpg

Btw, Happy New Year!

Andrew Monroe
01-01-2013, 10:34 AM
I wasn't aware of this release until now but I would be interested to know if it improves on the BU BD, there's certainly room for it. Nothing at the SWDB besides the release info. I'm sure someone there will get it and report back. Have to keep an eye out for reviews.

Ian Jane
01-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Yeah, if either of you come across any good info, please do post. Hadn't heard of this before, thanks for the heads up Paul.

Paul L
01-02-2013, 06:56 AM
I'll see what I can dig up about this closer to the release date. It's currently £20 on Amazon preorder at the moment, but if it drops to a tenner or so on the week of its release, I may pick it up myself just out of sheer curiosity and to check out the new extras.

Paul L
01-11-2013, 08:58 PM
I've been trying to get hold of Argent for some kind of confirmation as to whether this is a new transfer or not, but they're very difficult to contact. I'll let you know if I hear anything back from them.

Andrew Monroe
01-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Thanks for digging around on this, Paul. I hope they get back to you.

Ignatius
01-13-2013, 11:25 AM
The use of the phrase 'pristinely faithful to the original look of Corbucci's film' is interesting. I would think if it were a new transfer they would be using that as a selling point but I s'pose you never know.

Thanks for digging around on this, Paul. I hope they get back to you.

Seconded. Here's hoping there's good news!

Richard--W
01-14-2013, 07:03 PM
amazon says it's an All-Regions blu-ray and the pre-order price has come down 5 pounds: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Django-Newly-Re-mastered-REGIONS-Blu-ray/dp/B009ZWJSLG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2QZRWQNUDQ6XG&coliid=IUN23XYM184JL

Paul L
01-18-2013, 05:37 PM
I haven't managed to get any information about this release, but I've preordered a copy for £11. I'll feedback when it arrives.

Mark Tolch
01-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Please do. I haven't bought the BU release yet, either. I want to get one or the other. Some sites are reporting this as region B, by the way...

Paul L
01-18-2013, 07:37 PM
I believe it's going to be region free, Mark; the Amazon listing shouts 'ALL REGIONS' in caps: 'Django Newly Re-mastered in HD ALL REGIONS' ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Django-Newly-Re-mastered-REGIONS-Blu-ray/dp/B009ZWJSLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358552176&sr=8-1 ).

Paul L
01-22-2013, 09:28 AM
According to Blu-ray.com, this is the actual cover art of this release. Quite nice, imo.

http://i.imgur.com/uNtsX0j.jpg

Andrew Monroe
01-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I like that too and I see it will be a reversible sleeve...I wonder what the other looks like.

Edit - I guess it will be the pic Paul posted on the first page of the thread.

Mark Tolch
01-22-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm very curious in hearing about this transfer, now!

Paul L
01-22-2013, 02:39 PM
I'm very curious in hearing about this transfer, now!
I don't 'do' Facebook, so this has passed me by until now, but Argent stated on their Facebook page that their release is from 'the same source [as the BU Blu] but a different master' - which sounds promising.
www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=547727428572474&set=a.543719008973316.126269.521376754540875&type=1&relevant_count=1

Mark Tolch
01-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Thanks for sharing, Paul.

Paul L
01-22-2013, 03:03 PM
No worries.

Ian Jane
01-23-2013, 11:21 AM
There's a very vague review that gives little in the way of technical/transfer related info here (http://www.filmwerk.co.uk/2013/01/18/django-blu-ray-review/), if you've got nothing else going on right now.

Mark Tolch
01-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Hm. So it looks like the BU transfer may be the way to go.

Paul L
01-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Hm. So it looks like the BU transfer may be the way to go.
My copy has been posted, finally; I'll be able to offer comment when it arrives.

Mark Tolch
01-23-2013, 12:03 PM
My copy has been posted, finally; I'll be able to offer comment when it arrives.

Oh, don't worry, I'm still waiting for the final word from you, Paul. :up:

Horace Cordier
01-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Oh, don't worry, I'm still waiting for the final word from you, Paul. :up:

Me too - especially since I have the BU and see no need for this unless its a significant upgrade - and I don't even think the BU transfer looks that bad.

I'll have to check but it doesn't even look like this one has any different extras. Does it have the THE LAST GUNFIGHTER short film?

Paul L
01-23-2013, 02:49 PM
I'll have to check but it doesn't even look like this one has any different extras. Does it have the THE LAST GUNFIGHTER short film?
It doesn't, Horace, but apparently it's got about 40 minutes of supplementary material: there's a presentation on the film by Alex Cox, a new interview with Franco Nero, and an alternative opening sequence.

Horace Cordier
01-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Thanks Paul.

So I'll probably end up getting it.

Damn - don't know how much more of this my wallet can take!

Paul L
01-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Damn - don't know how much more of this my wallet can take!
You're not the only one, Horace :biggrin: I should wait until I've got my copy though, as this release could be a big white elephant - but given Argent's track record, my hopes are fairly high for this one.

A couple of reviews have appeared over the last day - the one Ian linked to above, and a customer review on Amazon. However, neither of these reviews mentions the Blue Underground release, and I'm not sure to what extent their comments on the quality of this release can be trusted. I'd prefer to see it with my own eyes and then make an informed judgement for myself, which obviously I shall share here.

Paul L
01-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Apparently, this looks bloomin' awful. There are some screengrabs linked to at Blu-ray.com; I've pilfered them for here.

Source: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=7047284

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/4166/django2.png
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/2168/django3.png
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/2659/django4.png

It's not got that funky frozen grain structure/scanner noise that the BU release has, but looks like it's been scrubbed with a nail brush and Swarfega.

I'm still waiting to see it with my own mince pies.

A direct comparison, from the same source, with the BU disc.

Argent:
http://i48.tinypic.com/n4uwrp.png

BU:
http://i46.tinypic.com/2mr7d75.jpg

Mark Tolch
01-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Hmmm. Hard to tell off of the screen caps for sure, but the reds look a little more orange? And the contrast looks a whole lot cranked with an overdose of DNR.

Blu-ray.com posters are reporting that the size of the movie is 15GB as well.

How lousy is the BU blu-ray?

Andrew Monroe
01-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Well, please do let us know what you think after you receive it, Paul. Sounds like this film will still be waiting on the definitive blu release though.

Ignatius
01-26-2013, 05:20 AM
Ugh, that looks awful. Seems the only solution is a brand new scan, and I doubt anyone will be funding that any time soon.

How lousy is the BU blu-ray?

Depends on how sensitive you are to the video noise. Personally I find it more than tolerable, though I imagine if I were watching it on a better setup than the 40" LCD I currently have it would start to piss me off. I first saw the film on the old AB DVD (which was awful) so compared to that it's a godsend. It could obviously look better, but the BU is the best currently available and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Paul L
01-26-2013, 07:01 AM
I received my copy today, and bearing in mind I've only had time to have a quick scan through it on the 32" telly (the kids are still up), these are preliminary observations.

I reckon this is a new scan based on the negative, as it looks radically different to the BU disc. The colour timing is different: the reds tend more towards orange, and everything else seems much more muted. However, having said that I don't think this is a case of the BU or the Argent being 'wrong' or 'right' in this regard. The US AB and BU releases were the first time I remember the reds in DJANGO being so red; my first viewing of DJANGO was via its Moviedrome screening 20 years ago, and I watched my recording of that transmission till the tape wore out and I bought the 4Front VHS, and later when that tape wore out I bought another VHS (from Arrow?) in the mid/late-1990s. In all of those earlier versions, I remember the reds (even the blood) having the slight orange hue that's in Argent's new Blu-ray, and with it everything else in the frame (even people's skin tones) looks muddy and covered with dirt - so I reckon this Argent release replicates the colour timing of those versions of the film that I was first exposed to. However, I can't say whether the Argent or the BU disc is more 'accurate' in terms of the original 'look' of DJANGO's cinema prints. Who can?

It doesn't have that annoying frozen grain structure of the BU disc, as far as I can tell (only having skimmed through the film), but even on the 32" telly via which I've spot-checked the disc, it looks like some noticeable digital filtering has been applied. Screengrabs aside, on my 32" and in motion, I'd say that it's a close call between this and the BU disc, as both releases have their pros and cons - but I might have a different perspective once I've had the chance to watch this on a larger set this evening. I'll report back later.

Paul L
01-26-2013, 07:10 AM
Btw, the interviews with Nero and Cox are 12 minutes apiece. The alternate opening is the English language titles sequence (the film contains the Italian titles sequence, although sadly the Italian language version of the title song is nowhere to be seen). There are two trailers for the film: the international trailer, and the Italian trailer.

Paul L
01-26-2013, 07:06 PM
On a larger set, the digital filtering present on this release looks horrendous - but then, on the other hand, for my money it's no 'better' or 'worse' than the Blue Underground disc, which has its own share of problems. I prefer the slightly more muted palette of this Argent release, I think: everything looks dirty (or dirtier, I should say).

Cox's introduction is good, although it doesn't really establish anything new. (He talks about Mark Damon's claim that he co-wrote DJANGO and was originally to star in it, which is a nugget I'd forgotten but IIRC is mentioned in Damon's autobiography FROM COWBOY TO MOGUL TO MONSTER.) I haven't had chance to watch the interview with Nero yet.

Richard--W
01-27-2013, 02:53 AM
Comparison at the usual place:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/django.htm

I actually prefer BU's DVD over their blu-ray. I like the color.

But I'm not wild about the film as a film in any case.

Ignatius
01-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Looking at the stills on the Beaver comparison I'm not convinced that the Argent transfer comes from a different master. It certainly has a different colour temp and the noise has been filtered out but there doesn't seem to be any extra detail present. But I'm a novice when it comes to these things and I haven't seen it in motion. Looks like a choice based on what you dislike least: too much noise or too much filtering.

bgart13
01-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Oh well. Another missed opportunity. The only answer is a brand new scan done and mastered correctly.

Paul L
01-27-2013, 03:58 PM
But I'm a novice when it comes to these things and I haven't seen it in motion.
I don't think those screengrabs are representative of it, which is not to say that it's a good release, but seeing it motion makes me think it's a new scan - not better, by any means, but not a whole lot worse either, and quite different from the BU release. The Argent disc represents an alternative for people without a region 'A' compatible player, but they should be advised that the BU release isn't a whole lot better and has its equal share of problems.

Both releases are equally frustrating, imo, and from the grapevine the recent Japanese release seems to be equally shoddy. Now, what I'd really like is THE BIG SILENCE done right, on Blu, with English and Italian options and English subs for the Italian track :)

Mark Tolch
01-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Huh. Looks like I'll be passing on this one...sure would be nice to see it done properly.

Horace Cordier
01-28-2013, 02:08 AM
Yeah - I'll pass. I'm not even that unhappy with the BU frankly.

Ian Jane
01-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Yeah - I'll pass. I'm not even that unhappy with the BU frankly.

Neither am I. It's not perfect by any stretch but I think that the problems with it were blown out of proportion.

Koukol
01-28-2013, 08:56 PM
My problem with the BU BD is the snow-storm of grain that comes and goes.
You can even see it on the sky in that DVDBeaver still.