PDA

View Full Version : WAR OF THE DEAD -- Nazi Zombies!

Andrew Monroe
01-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Anyone seen this? It came out on BR/DVD this week. I have read some reviews that are mostly summed up by "meh, it was okay but not all that." I still have a soft spot for Nazi zombies so I am just looking for an excuse to get this, haha. Somebody give me one, dammit!!!

http://localtvkdvr.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/war-of-the-dead-jan-1.jpg?w=660&h=829

The cover art is pretty cool if nothing else.

Ian Jane
01-02-2013, 05:16 PM
But will your love of Nazi zombies overcome a dislike of fast moving zombies? I love Nazi zombies too, but am not so keen on fast moving ones and the trailer makes it look like these guys are agile, mobile and hostile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwXCkxsd5zg

I'd check this out if I could find it cheap.

Andrew Monroe
01-02-2013, 05:30 PM
I know, fast zombies - and then to add insult to gut munching - fast nazi zombies suck. The DAWN OF THE DEAD remake is the exception for me but that's it. I am puzzled by how they can fuck-up a FUCKING CAN'T MISS proposition like nazi zombies...but somehow they do it with the ease of Ted Williams nailing a heckler in the stands with a foul tip. Over and over...sigh. I still want to see this though.

Ian Jane
01-02-2013, 05:50 PM
I'm also generally turned off by really big AICN quotes on covers these days, but that maybe that's just me.

Newt Cox
01-02-2013, 07:05 PM
I know, fast zombies - and then to add insult to gut munching - fast nazi zombies suck. The DAWN OF THE DEAD remake is the exception for me but that's it. I am puzzled by how they can fuck-up a FUCKING CAN'T MISS proposition like nazi zombies...but somehow they do it with the ease of Ted Williams nailing a heckler in the stands with a foul tip. Over and over...sigh. I still want to see this though.

Do you like the zombies in Return of the Living Dead?

Wllm Clys
01-03-2013, 06:22 AM
So how many nazi zombie films are there? Old ones I mean.

- Oasis of the zombies
- Shockwaves
- Zombie Lake
- The frozen dead (Don't know if this one counts...)

I'm not sure about this one: Night of the zombies
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082815/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Andrew Monroe
01-03-2013, 08:28 AM
I think you covered most of the older ones there (and while I haven't seen it, I think in NIGHT OF THE ZOMBIES they are indeed supposed to be both nazis and american troops - always heard that is a wretched film, though I am curious since I think Jamie Gillis is in it.) I would count FROZEN DEAD too, they're not traditional zombies but they are living dead, or dead parts anyway.

Newt, I have mixed feelings about RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, I like some things but the comedy has gotten stale for me and the better zombie scenes don't rely on them running around.

Ian Jane
01-03-2013, 10:24 AM
You forgot Dead Snow! It was pretty solid. Dark Sky put it out domestically. And yes, Gillis is in Night Of The Zombies.

Andrew Monroe
01-03-2013, 10:58 AM
You forgot Dead Snow!

No, I didn't forget it, Willem asked about older ones. I've seen it and didn't much care for it. I liked the zombie makeup but there was a lot of lame humor in it.

Roderick
01-03-2013, 11:27 AM
I've seen it and didn't much care for it. I liked the zombie makeup but there was a lot of lame humor in it.

I was pretty enthused for DS but ended up feeling the same way.

Alex K.
01-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Joe Reeds' Night of the Zombies is one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Ian Jane
01-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Willem asked about older ones.

Oops, missed that part.

Pretty scathing review of War Of The Dead here:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/War-of-the-Dead-Blu-ray/58143/#Review

Andrew Monroe
01-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Yeah, that follows the other reviews I've read. I think this is one to wait til it inevitably hits the bargain bin in the near future.

Alex K.
01-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Why do Nazi Zombie movies have to suck so bad? There's only two that you could argue are decent: Shock Waves and Dead Snow.

Newt Cox
01-03-2013, 07:16 PM
I think you covered most of the older ones there (and while I haven't seen it, I think in NIGHT OF THE ZOMBIES they are indeed supposed to be both nazis and american troops - always heard that is a wretched film, though I am curious since I think Jamie Gillis is in it.) I would count FROZEN DEAD too, they're not traditional zombies but they are living dead, or dead parts anyway.

Newt, I have mixed feelings about RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, I like some things but the comedy has gotten stale for me and the better zombie scenes don't rely on them running around.

See I saw RotLD opening night when I was 10 or so. And have loved it since then. Got it on VHS,Laserdisc,DVD and Blu ray.