PDA

View Full Version : SNL Through the Years...

Alison Jane
01-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Watching the first episode as my son got season one for Christmas. I've probably never seen this one before as I've never been a huge fan of the show. Still... if I have to watch it, I prefer the classic cast. George Carlin is the guest star and I don't think I would've recognized him. The Andy Kaufman Mighty Mouse bit is pretty funny. Good times.

Randy G
01-10-2013, 09:43 PM
I think Chevy Chase and Eddie Murphy, in different eras, were both at their best on SNL. Don't really care for most of the stuff done after Murphy left. Hartman, Carvey, Lovitz and Myers were the stars of the show when I was a teen but although the first three are all great comedic actors the material was so uneven it paled compared to the reruns they use to show right after SNL in the late 80s/early 90s. Never cared for Farley or Adam Sanders, lost interest around then.

Alison Jane
01-10-2013, 10:13 PM
I agree. I never really liked the show when I was a teenager even though Wayne's World was big. Some of the Mike Meyers stuff was funny, but overall I kind of forced myself to watch it because I felt like I should like it.

Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd are great. And Bill Murray too... won't get to him this season though, unfortunately.

Toyboy
01-10-2013, 10:30 PM
There's a lot of stuff in those first few seasons that's painful to sit thru. What I think many people remember more than anything from seasons 1-4 are the "best of" shows that aired in syndication. Every show and every season have their low points and some casts had more consistent performers and better writers working with them. There's very little to enjoy in seasons 5-9 and even a lot of the Murphy stuff was flat. When he was on he was fucking on but he did plenty of shitty sketches too.

The worst season, I think, was 11 (Robert Downey, Jr., Anthony Michael Hall, Damon Wayans, etc..), but the subsequent cast is probably my favorite; 12-16 are pretty solid all around. I have to say that Phil Hartman was probably the most versatile and funny cast member SNL ever had.

I still watch the show - I've even gone back and watched shit from seasons I originally skipped 'cuz of that dumbshit fuckface Andy Samberg.

SNL, over all, is dope.

Alex K.
01-10-2013, 11:01 PM
I don't know why it's still on the air. Rarely funny these days.

Toyboy
01-10-2013, 11:13 PM
It's on for the same reasons late night talk shows still exist: to promote new movies, TV shows, and music. Most guests have a new film being released right around the time they host and almost all musical guests now have an album that's a few weeks old when they're on. There's no competition in that time slot so why not keep it on the air.

They've had some great performers in the last few years - Bill Hader*, Fred Armisen and Kristen Wiig are all really fucking funny. Kate McKinnon is becoming a new favorite of mine too.

*I love that he gets Vincent Price and Alan Alda impressions on the air.

Marshall Crist
01-10-2013, 11:16 PM
Kate McKinnon is carrying that show! Can't believe she's still a "featured player" or whatever.

Andrew Monroe
01-11-2013, 08:50 AM
I still really like watching the Michael O'Donoghue stuff from the early years (not so much the comeback)...it's still some of the weirdest things you'll see on a major network.

Todd Jordan
01-11-2013, 08:58 AM
The early years used to play on Nick At Nite in the 80s and I used to love watching it. It was only a half an hour and must have cut all the crap out because it was consistently funny. I stopped watching for most of the 2000s years but started watching the last few seasons on Netflix and must say Bill Hader, Kristen Wiig are at the top of the heap for my all-time favoriters and they remind me of older cast members.

I did love Chris Farley though.

sukebanboy
01-11-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm not american...so never really got into SNL......

I have seen the early CHASE / Murphy stuff etc...and I have to agree that I think it must be the "best of" kind of show I watched as there is no way a show like that could be ONLY good stuff....

Mark Tolch
01-11-2013, 10:00 AM
I really enjoyed it when it was Phil Hartman, Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Chris Farley...of course, i'm probably spanning some years, there. But that's when i started watching it, and it was hilarious. Those early years have some great stuff, too, but there are a lot of really , REALLY boring sketches. Still, in the early 2000's, which was the last time I watched the show with any kind of regular viewing, the classics that they played after the episode, from the first few years were far funnier. Bill Murray was great, Eddie Murphy as Gumby was funny as hell, and Dan Ackroyd and Belushi did a lot of classic stuff. :-D

Andrew Monroe
01-11-2013, 10:43 AM
The early years used to play on Nick At Nite in the 80s and I used to love watching it. It was only a half an hour and must have cut all the crap out because it was consistently funny.

Yeah, and it was even sweeter because SCTV was paired with it in that hour. My friends and I watched that every night and I recorded the SCTV stuff, still have those tapes - some of the early episodes still haven't been collected on the SCTV sets.

Alison Jane
01-11-2013, 03:00 PM
I remember watching SCTV on NaN when I was a kid and my mom and I thinking, "What's wrong with these people?" I later learned the answer is, "They're Canadian." :haha:

I like a lot of the SCTV comedians. I'd be interested in actually watching that series because I've never seen a full episode and I'd appreciate them a lot more now.

Andrew Monroe
01-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Does Ian have any of the Shout Factory SCTV sets? I love SCTV, I started watching it when NBC ran it every Friday night, it was a big deal where we would plan our partying so we were at someone's house by the time it came on. "sorry date, but I am taking your ass home so I can go watch SCTV...gotta prioritize" I know some (misguided) folks don't like it - I seem to recall Mr. Tolch is not a fan - but for me it's hilarious. Yes, like every other show it had its share of duds but when it was on point it was funnier than anything else. The GODFATHER parody with Floyd The Barber from ANDY GRIFFITH and Mr. Ed's head in the bed still cracks me up.

Alison Jane
01-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Nope, we don't have any. If we did, I'd watch them. :cuckoo:

;)

Todd Jordan
01-11-2013, 10:59 PM
I remember watching SCTV on NaN when I was a kid and my mom and I thinking, "What's wrong with these people?" .

That's how we were with watching French Canadian television. Plaid jackets and lime green dress pants and stupid facial expressions.

Randy G
01-12-2013, 03:49 AM
Good point about most of the reruns being a best of, but I still think the best of the Chase/Murray/Murphy era is better than the later stuff, even though Hartman was the man, the writing wasn't equal to his performances.

Robin Bougie
01-12-2013, 07:42 AM
fave SNL cast members of all time: (in no order)
Phil Hartman
Eddie Murphy
Jon Lovitz
Andy Sandberg
Jan Hooks
Chris Rock
Will Ferrel
Bill Murray
norm Macdonald
Kevin Nealond

Clearly 1985 to 2000 was my fave era of the show. So many good memories of watching it.

Mark Tolch
01-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Does Ian have any of the Shout Factory SCTV sets? I love SCTV, I started watching it when NBC ran it every Friday night, it was a big deal where we would plan our partying so we were at someone's house by the time it came on. "sorry date, but I am taking your ass home so I can go watch SCTV...gotta prioritize" I know some (misguided) folks don't like it - I seem to recall Mr. Tolch is not a fan - but for me it's hilarious. Yes, like every other show it had its share of duds but when it was on point it was funnier than anything else. The GODFATHER parody with Floyd The Barber from ANDY GRIFFITH and Mr. Ed's head in the bed still cracks me up.

It did have its moments, and a lot of very funny talent came off of that show...but by and large, no, it didn't do much for me. :-)