PDA

View Full Version : Femmes de Sade

Ian Jane
01-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Yeah I already reviewed this and yeah it gets brought up in the Alpha France thread but having revisited it yesterday I figured it really does need its own thread. As corny and goofy as it is in spots, de Renzy did some interesting stuff with this. First off, we get the casting of Ken Turner - not even remotely attractive, he's an unlikely choice to star in an adult movie but I guess his size and ability to blow himself gives him enough of a freak show factor (something de Renzy did not shy away from) to make it work. He's simultaneously hilarious and horrifying. John Leslie is awesome here, hysterical with his 'Chinese guy' make up in the Asian scene and dapper in his leisure suit. Some great female stars, an appearance from Joey Silvera - the cast is solid.

It's the editing though that really struck me. We see enough to know that this is very much a hardcore film but the camera knows better than to linger too long on certain things. It's not cut fast, but it's cut well. The scene in the engine room that takes place, the four way, it doesn't have any music but instead the rythm of the machinery takes over, which is an interesting touch. Of course, taboos are smashed - there are dogs and poop and rape and some BDSM among other things. So it's interesting for that reason too.

Alison Jane
01-13-2013, 03:11 PM
...there are dogs and poop and rape and some BDSM among other things...

Is that from your review, in its entirety? :haha:

Ian Jane
01-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Yeah, that's more or less it.

Alison Jane
01-13-2013, 03:49 PM
I like this movie. It's fun. That's my review. :biggrin:

Randy G
01-13-2013, 05:28 PM
I think this film does look really great and you're right about the editing not lingering over the sex, something I hadn't thought of before and probably why the film's plot seems to barrel ahead from one set piece to the next and so be one of the most effective features of the era. The engine room scene is a classic I think. I remember rewatching this when I got the Alpha France disc and thinking that I picked up a theme about the difference between fantasy and reality and how the Ken Turner character is contrasted with the Leslie character in this regard, but I may have just been drunk.

Ian Jane
01-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Drunk or not, I think you're maybe onto something there. The movie does play with the contrast between Leslie's character and Turner's character.

It also has awesome poster art.

Randy G
01-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Have you read Candida Royalle's story about shooting the last scene in Femmes De Sade in Golden Goddesses? Love to hear those BTS details.

Ian Jane
01-13-2013, 05:42 PM
I have, yeah. Crazy stuff. We need more books like that.

Alison Jane
01-13-2013, 05:46 PM
I think the Leslie fantasy angle is neat. It's even better when it's an innocent character, but it works with his already deviant character as well.

Ian Jane
05-03-2017, 01:59 PM
So this played theatrically in our neighborhood according to this neat old picture. RAD.

Fundi
05-03-2017, 04:07 PM
Femmes De Sade is a 70's classic, from an era I wasn't around to see, must have been amazing to have been around to see those films theatrically, but then again maybe more fun to see them at home on my home theater without some guy jizzing in the seats around me lol. I hope someone can release this movie to DVD or Blu ray one day. I think it was a Mitchell Brothers film directed by Alex De Renzy right? I hope all the MItchell Brothers films come out on DVD or Blu ray, I mean those guys did some great films, Autobiography of a Flea, Behind the Green Door, and Resurrection of Eve, and Sodom and Gomorrah the last 7 Days, at least those should be out, I mean I'd like to see their other less famous films, but who knows if they can be released or if the film prints exist.

Alison Jane
05-03-2017, 04:34 PM
It was definitely on DVD. A double bill with Waterpower. That company with the boxes that look like Alpha France.

Keith H
05-04-2017, 09:40 AM
Yes its available. Been remastered as well but make sure you get the uncensored 85 minute cut. There is even one version that just has the bit with the dog cut out. It is out there. I have it but cannot for the life of me remember where I got it. Its an absolute CLASSIC of direction. Shot in San Francisco but I don't think it was the Mitchell Bros.

Randy G
05-05-2017, 02:35 AM
From what I recall De Renzy ran his own theatre that would have been in competition with the Mitchell Brothers theatre.