PDA

View Full Version : Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2!

Ian Jane
01-25-2013, 11:13 AM
So yeah, this is happening. Ang Lee is not directing but Ronnie Yu is so it still might mean something. I am not ashamed to admit that I loved the first one, remember seeing it opening night in Toronto, traveled an hour and a half in a snowstorm to get there to see it. Good stuff. Just a really beautiful movie. I guess we'll see if Yu's take on it is half as good.

From Den Of Geek (http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon/24234/crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-sequel-greenlit):

"One of the biggest foreign language crossover hits of the past 20 years was Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The film took $128m at the US box office back in 2000, with the worldwide total coming in at just over $213m. Furthermore, the film snagged four Oscars. It's never one we'd thought would be revisited for a follow-up though, but that's exactly what's about to happen.

Production on a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2 sequel is set to begin in May, this time with Ronny Yu (Fearless, Freddy Vs Jason) behind the camera. John Fusco has penned the script, and it's going to be based on the fifth book in Wang Du Lu's Crane-Iron series. Crouching Tiger was based on the fourth."

No word yet on who is returning from the original.

Ian Jane
01-25-2013, 12:57 PM
More: (http://dailygrindhouse.com/thewire/crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-sequel-coming-soon-from-bride-of-chucky-director-yes-were-serious/)

"The new film is is based on Silver Vase, Iron Knight. The fifth book in the Crane-Iron Pentalogy by Wang Du Lu. Crouching Tiger was the fourth novel in the series. According to Deadline “the sequel continues to revolve around Yu Shu Lien, the character played in the original by Michelle Yeoh. It’s not immediately clear yet which actors will reprise, but some likely will. “This introduces a new generation of star-crossed lovers, and a new series of antagonists in a battle of good and evil. It has a Knights Errant quality. There is an alternate universe in the books, a martial forest that exists alongside the real world, full of wandering sword fighters, medicine men, defrocked priests, poets, sorcerers and Shaolin renegades. It’s so vast and rich, and I found characters from the second and third books in the series to create a most interesting stew while being as true to the source material as I could be.”"

Richard--W
01-25-2013, 04:50 PM
I loved the original, too. I paid to see it several times. Of all the things that impressed me, strange to say, what impressed me the most was Ang Lee's close-ups -- the poise of the heads, the yearning eyelines, the intricacy and delicacy of facial expressions.

John Fusco is a shitty writer. Lazy thoughtless ignorant and stupid. He has no talent. Letting him write a script is like pissing your film away.

I will avoid the film, unless someone else writes it.

sukebanboy
01-26-2013, 03:30 AM
John Fusco is a shitty writer. Lazy thoughtless ignorant and stupid. He has no talent. Letting him write a script is like pissing your film away.

I will avoid the film, unless someone else writes it.

I have faith that RONNY YU's participation in directing this one will overcome any week script moments ..and that he will instill the movie with enough style, direction and pacing to make this a good movie..

Randy G
01-26-2013, 06:43 AM
Yu is a very different director than Lee. Loved the first film as well, a great tribute to kung fu films and the popular novels that we will probably never get to read in translation that are the basis of the genre.

sukebanboy
01-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Oh...I doubt YU's sequel will be as "artistic" as the first one...But it sure should be entertaining....:biggrin:

Derrick King
03-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Michelle Yeoh will return, but Ronny Yu will not be directing (http://www.cityonfire.com/ronny-yu-to-direct-crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-sequel-in-may/)

Ian Jane
03-03-2013, 03:20 PM
I'd still be intrigued just because Yeoh is fucking awesome, but without Yu and obviously without Ang Lee... who is going to take it on? Guess we'll find out.

m bermingham
03-04-2013, 12:50 PM
I'll check it out.

Ian Jane
05-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Press release with some casting news.... Donnie Yen??! (http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/cannes-toldja-weinstein-co-beginning-production-on-crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-sequel/)

New York, NY (May 16, 2013) – The Weinstein Company (TWC) announced today production of CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON II – THE GREEN DESTINY will begin in March 2014 in Asia. Yuen Wo Ping is set to direct with Donnie Yen starring as Silent Wolf and Michelle Yeoh reprising her role as Yu Shu Lien. The screenplay is based on IRON KNIGHT, SILVER VASE by Wang Du Lu, book 5 in the CRANE-IRON PENTALOGY series, on which the original CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON was based. The screenplay is written by John Fusco (FORBIDDEN KINGDOM, HIDALGO, SPIRIT) and will be produced by Harvey Weinstein and David Thwaites, co-produced by Johnny Levin with Executive Producer Anthony Wong. Yucaipa Films is co-financing the project.

CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON, distributed by Sony Pictures, became a surprise international success, grossing $213.5 million. It grossed $128 million in the US becoming the highest grossing foreign language film in American history and has won over 40 awards including the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. The film was also nominated for six other Academy Awards including Best Picture.

“I loved Ang Lee’s film,” commented TWC Co-Chairman Harvey Weinstein. “I thought it was a master class in directing, but I know we are in fantastic hands with Yuen Wo Ping directing the second installment of CROUCHING TIGER. Master Yuen worked with me on IRON MONKEY, KILL BILL and now GRANDMASTER. He is a first-class director and choreographer, and I am thrilled to be teaming up with him once more. With John Fusco’s incredible script and the dream team of Donnie Yen and Michelle Yeoh we are in great shape.”

Noted Wang Hong, son of late author Wang Du Lu: “My sister and I and our families sincerely appreciate that Harvey and TWC stayed committed to bringing my father’s works to the screen for the enjoyment of audiences around the world. My father created timeless characters and stories of universal appeal. They remain no less relevant today. Through great filmmaking, another generation will get to experience them.”

Harvey Weinstein, Donnie Yen and Yuen Wo Ping will be participating in a press conference on Saturday in Cannes to discuss further details of the production.

Ian Jane
01-20-2014, 11:56 AM
So Donnie Yen may or may not be still involved and he may or may not have been replaced by Andy Lau.

I'm going to guess since the Weinstein's say Yen is still on board that it's true, but...

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/01/crouching-tiger-2-donnie-yen-out-andy-lau-in.html

Ian Jane
07-31-2014, 12:03 PM
Slash Film says that Harry Shum Jr. (from Glee!) has been cast.

http://www.slashfilm.com/harry-shum-jr-crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-sequel/

Christian Bates-Hardy
07-31-2014, 12:37 PM
I am not ashamed to say that Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is one of my favorite films of all time. I think it's a beautiful masterwork.

sukebanboy
10-02-2014, 03:09 AM
So...it seems like this one will be straight to video release.....

Not saying it wont be good, but an English language sequel to an arty - HK movie with only one member of the original cast here.....Warning bells are ringing!!!:funny:

Ian Jane
12-07-2015, 12:45 PM
No straight to video, straight to Netflix (and select Imax theaters).

Trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niVMROrYr0w

sukebanboy
12-08-2015, 12:25 AM
Makes me sad to see Michelle Yeoh getting old....not for her, but for me...I grew up with her movies and makes ME feel old now!

agent999
12-08-2015, 04:20 AM
What a terrible trailer, who are they pitching this to? English language as well???

Ian Jane
02-25-2016, 11:04 AM
Anyone bother with this yet?

Supposedly it did $21 million in China over the weekend where it got a theatrical release.

Ian Jane
03-23-2016, 10:47 AM
So it's straight to Netflix in the US but if you want it on Blu-ray without waiting for a domestic release, it's happening in HK with Eng. subs.

http://www.yesasia.com/crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-sword-of-destiny-2016-blu-ray-2d-3d/1049331424-0-0-0-en/info.html