PDA

View Full Version : Black Flag Reunion(s)

Ian Jane
01-25-2013, 12:18 PM
OK, this is interesting. From East Village Radio (http://www.eastvillageradio.com/content/content.php?id=5489):

"The 1979 lineup of hardcore legends Black Flag will allegedly reunite this year to play a UK festival, FACT (via NME) reports. The piece says the band’s second vocalist, Ron Reyes, will rejoin band founder and guitarist Greg Ginn for the gig, but it’s unclear if the rest of the band responsible for the 1980 EP, Jealous Again (artwork above)—bassist Chuck Dukowski and drummer Julio Roberto Valverde Valencia (a.k.a. “Robo”)—will be on hand for the set at the fifth installment of Hevy Fest. Reyes replaced future Circle Jerks frontman Keith Morris in the band before being replaced by Dez Cadena, who was eventually replaced by Henry Rollins."

And that comes after this announcement from the 2013 Punk Rock Bowling festival (http://punkrockbowling.com/) by way of Punk News (http://www.punknews.org/article/50267/bad-religion-members-of-black-flag-and-more-to-play-punk-rock-bowling):

"Some of the headliners for the 15th annual Punk Rock Bowling weekend have been announced. The non-bowling related portion of the weekend will include performances from Bad Religion, The Damned, D.R.I., Lagwagon, Subhumans, Swingin' Utters, Bouncing Souls, Lower Class Brats and Flag, which is Keith Morris, Chuck Dukowski, Bill Stevenson and Stephen Egerton playing the music of Black Flag."

So now we've sort of got dueling Black Flag reunions going on?

Weird.

Roderick
01-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Huh. Interesting. I went to one of the West Memphis 3 benefit shows a few years back where Keith and Hank tore through the old Flag classics. I'd check these out if I was anywhere near them.

Marshall Crist
01-25-2013, 12:38 PM
No mention of Henry Rollins' ballsac.

Mark Tolch
01-25-2013, 03:35 PM
I was entertaining the notion of the Morris show in Vegas, being that Bad Religion and the Damned (who are pretty fun live) are also on the bill. Both lineups have their merits, on one hand you get Ginn, on the other hand, you get Chuck the Duke.

Ian Jane
01-25-2013, 03:40 PM
If I hadn't just been to (and been burnt out on) Vegas two weeks ago, I'd consider going too. Good line up this year.

But... fuck it. Too expensive.

Mark Tolch
01-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Yeah, if you wanted to go to Vegas anyway...I don't....it would be a fun trip with a cool bonus of seeing a show.

Randy G
01-26-2013, 06:50 AM
For me BF's eras are more defined by the drummers than the singer: there's Robo/Biscuits/Stevenson. Biscuits is probably my favourite but Robo was really unique.

Ian Jane
01-28-2013, 01:08 PM
So the Ron Reyes version is more than just a one off.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/01/black_flag_to_e.html

"BLACK FLAG has reformed and is in the process of putting finishing touches on a new album with founder Greg Ginn on guitar, Ron Reyes on vocals, Gregory Moore on drums and Dale Nixon on bass."

They'll be touring in 2013.

Travis Sheldon
01-28-2013, 01:30 PM
A friend gave me the heads up that BF would be headlining the Muddy Roots Festival in late August. This show takes place a couple hundred miles from Nashville, so there's a good chance I'll make that show. Reverend Beat Man, Deadbolt, and Eerie Von are other acts on the bill that I would be interested in seeing.

bgart13
01-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Maybe Jerry Only is available to sit in for "Dale Nixon"...

Mark Tolch
01-28-2013, 02:15 PM
I like Ron, despite his inability to follow through on a project, and I like Greg's playing. But for all of the people who ranted and raved about the Robo/Morris/Dukowski lineup not being "the real FLAG"...well, there ya go. Ginn and Reyes can tour as Black Flag with an unknown rhythm section? F that. I don't think that anyone, outside of an original Black Flag lineup, should be able to tour as BLACK FLAG.

Marshall Crist
01-28-2013, 03:23 PM
So the Ron Reyes version is more than just a one off.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/01/black_flag_to_e.html

"BLACK FLAG has reformed and is in the process of putting finishing touches on a new album with founder Greg Ginn on guitar, Ron Reyes on vocals, Gregory Moore on drums and Dale Nixon on bass."

They'll be touring in 2013.

I have to read articles now? *derp*

Mark Tolch
01-28-2013, 03:26 PM
It says that in the article.

Ian Jane
01-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Tour date info starting to roll in for both flavors:

Black Flag tour dates
DATE CITY VENUE
May 18 Hünxe, Germany Ruhrpott Rodeo
August 4 Kent, UK Hevy Fest
August 31 Tennessee Muddy Roots Music Festival

Flag tour dates
DATE CITY VENUE
4/26 Munich, Germany Monster Bash Festival
4/27 Berlin, German Monster Bash Festival
4/28 Meerhout, Belgium Groezrock Festival
5/24 - 5/27 Las Vegas, NV Punk Rock Bowling

Mark Tolch
01-28-2013, 08:25 PM
I have to read articles now? *derp*

Hahahahahahaha.

bgart13
01-28-2013, 10:15 PM
Chavo was BF's second best singer. First was Johnny Bob Goldstein.

Rollins and Cadena can Greco-Roman wrestle naked for worst. Naked.

Mark Tolch
01-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Half Flag.

Ian Jane
01-29-2013, 10:08 AM
If they're 'putting the finishing touches' on the new album we might actually hear some new music sooner rather than later. It might not be good though.

I'm worried that none of this is going to be good. I have more faith in the Morris fronted version than the Reyes fronted version.

Roderick
01-29-2013, 10:55 AM
"Putting finishing touches" on a punk rock record does not inspire confidence.

Marshall Crist
01-29-2013, 12:41 PM
"Putting finishing touches" on a punk rock record does not inspire confidence.

Hopefully some Tommy Thayer overdubs.

Terry C
01-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Ron's my favorite of the singers and when Ginn played his 50th birthday party they hit it out of the park. So I'll take both of these over no Flag at all and I'm almost positive this will be much better than that 2003 "reunion" with the robot bass player.

Roderick
01-30-2013, 05:12 PM
The Ginn Flag shows won't be legit unless they do like the old days and ONLY play stuff off the new album to piss off the silly punk kids.

Terry C
01-30-2013, 05:25 PM
Hahaha true that.

*Cough* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A441CM4aryw

Randy G
01-30-2013, 09:55 PM
BF was basically Ginn's band, I can't see anyone managing to recreate his style so any version of the band minus him seems pretty misplaced.

Ian Jane
01-31-2013, 11:48 AM
BF was basically Ginn's band, I can't see anyone managing to recreate his style so any version of the band minus him seems pretty misplaced.

This is true. Morris' version might be more fun though.

Roderick
01-31-2013, 12:05 PM
This is true. Morris' version might be more fun though.

Morris' post BF output > Ginn's post BF output

Mark Tolch
01-31-2013, 03:04 PM
Here here.

Newt Cox
02-01-2013, 07:58 AM
I just really hope they come somewhere near me. Cause BF is a band that I have wanted to see for years. But I bet the nearest they come to me is New Orleans,2 1/2 hours away, or Memphis,5 hours away.

Zane C.
02-01-2013, 09:04 AM
I'd go see these lineups of BF, but honestly, and it looks like I may be the only one, I'd prefer to see the Rollins-fronted version of the band.

Mark Tolch
02-01-2013, 09:20 AM
I'd go see these lineups of BF, but honestly, and it looks like I may be the only one, I'd prefer to see the Rollins-fronted version of the band.

I like some of the Rollins stuff, but Cadena only marginally beats him out as Flag's worst singer, IMO. :)

Ian Jane
02-01-2013, 11:03 AM
I like quite a bit of the Rollins era stuff myself. I don't think he has any interest in a BF reunion though, in fact hasn't he more or less officially retired from doing live music at this point?

Roderick
02-01-2013, 12:28 PM
I like quite a bit of the Rollins era stuff myself. I don't think he has any interest in a BF reunion though, in fact hasn't he more or less officially retired from doing live music at this point?

My War, Slip It In, Loose Nut and the 1982 Demos are classic stuff. And yes, Henry has basically said he is retired from music. He says when he writes he doesn't think in musical terms anymore. His schedule now is to travel/write for a year and then do a talking tour the following year. His world travels have definately had and impact on him and he seems to be much less of a misanthrope than he was back in the day.

Ian Jane
02-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Rolling Stone of all places just posted an interview with Morris and Dukowski in which they confirm Dez will be appearing with FLAG.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/flag-reunites-black-flag-veterans-20130207

Roderick
02-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Nice. From the sounds of it those FLAG shows are fixin' to be the more fun of the two.

Alex K.
02-07-2013, 03:32 PM
I like Rollins as a writer/speaker more than a musician. His music has never done anything for me for some reason.

Zane C.
02-07-2013, 06:07 PM
I like some of the Rollins stuff, but Cadena only marginally beats him out as Flag's worst singer, IMO. :)

I guess my enjoyment of Rollins as Black Flag's frontman comes from the fact that my first listening to their material was with him at the helm. I will concede that he is not a great singer, though! :)

Zane C.
02-07-2013, 06:25 PM
I like Rollins as a writer/speaker more than a musician. His music has never done anything for me for some reason.

I've seen his spoken word show twice, and he never fails to be anything but awesome. I'd go see him a bunch more times if he came through town. He's well read, knowledgeable, self-deprecating, and funnier than hell. And when he discusses music, he's obviously passionate about it.

He'd be a cool guy to sit down and talk with.

Randy G
02-09-2013, 01:57 AM
Slip It In is my favourite of the Rollins-era BF. Rollins' BF tour diary Get in the Van is an essential punk rock document too, a must read.

Zane C.
02-09-2013, 02:13 AM
Slip It In is my favourite of the Rollins-era BF. Rollins' BF tour diary Get in the Van is an essential punk rock document too, a must read.

Totally agree. GET IN THE VAN is one of my Top Ten books of all time. It's an intense piece of writing.

THE PORTABLE HENRY ROLLINS also has a great cross-section of his writings also.

Mark Tolch
02-09-2013, 10:44 AM
I really, really like Get in the the Van...when it starts. By the end, it seems like he's become so full of himself, I don't want to know him. It's undecided (to me) if he really went through that and recorded it at the time, or if he read it back and edited it before it came out.

Ian Jane
02-13-2013, 01:31 PM
On a semi related note, Rollins turns 52 today and Keith Morris went into a diabetic coma and had to cancel a bunch of Off! shows but is apparently recovering just fine and going to be doing the Flag thing as scheduled.

Mark Tolch
02-13-2013, 03:30 PM
I remember a diabetic guy on AVM telling me off because I had the gall to suggest that there was such thing as a diabetic coma. Looks like it happens after all.

Roderick
02-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Keith Morris went into a diabetic coma and had to cancel a bunch of Off! shows

Including the show I was supposed to go to tonight. Eat a sammich before you take a nap, dummy.

Ian Jane
02-20-2013, 01:07 PM
From Twitter...

"@ScenicNYC & @northsidefest present the first NYC performance of Black Flag in 26 years. Feat: Jealous Again era vocalist Ron Reyes. June 14"

Ian Jane
02-22-2013, 01:22 PM
"@ScenicNYC & @northsidefest present the first NYC performance of Black Flag in 26 years. Feat: Jealous Again era vocalist Ron Reyes. June 14"

That was expensive. They'd better not suck.

Roderick
02-22-2013, 02:01 PM
That was expensive. They'd better not suck.

Thanks for being the guinea pig on this, Ian. Hopefully they will be coming to my neck of the woods eventually. If they don't suck.

Mark Tolch
02-22-2013, 02:08 PM
If you don't mind me asking....how much are they charging for tickets?

Ian Jane
02-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Two tickets after service charge cost $74.00.

Mark Tolch
02-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Oh, that's not too terribly bad....it's not 5 bucks a piece like the Painted Willie/Nig Heist days, but still not 100 bucks a ticket and limited capacity.

Alex K.
02-22-2013, 07:08 PM
I've seen his spoken word show twice, and he never fails to be anything but awesome. I'd go see him a bunch more times if he came through town. He's well read, knowledgeable, self-deprecating, and funnier than hell. And when he discusses music, he's obviously passionate about it.

He'd be a cool guy to sit down and talk with.

I fucking love Solipsist. It's one of the best and most honest prose books I have ever read. I've been meaning to read Watch a Grown Man Cry, Now Watch Him Die.

Ian Jane
02-25-2013, 10:42 AM
FLAG (the Morris version) have been added to Metallica's Orion Fest line up this year (along with a zillion other bands).

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/02/metallica_annou_1.html

Ian Jane
02-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Two tickets after service charge cost $74.00.

And even at those prices the show sold out.

Roderick
02-25-2013, 12:24 PM
All the aging punks have joined the bourgeoisie! :eyebrows:

Tom K
02-25-2013, 05:10 PM
2 shows in Chicago at a club we normally play that holds 400 people max...I believe it sold out quickly...

Bolt Thrower and Benediction are playing the same place...The Saturday show sold out in 3 hours...The Sunday show took a bit longer, but it sold out as well...I imagine BF took quicker...

Ian Jane
02-26-2013, 02:13 PM
FLAG (Morris) are playing Toronto in June for NXNE.

Mark Tolch
02-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Woohoo, Toronto gets Morris again!!!!

Tom K
02-27-2013, 10:14 AM
Apparently, tickets are still available in Chicago for both shows...

Ian Jane
02-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Weird that NYC would sell out quickly but Chicago wouldn't. What are they charging for tickets in Chicago, Tom?

Tom K
02-27-2013, 11:03 AM
$30.00 in advance, $35.00 doors...

The punks here in Chicago are strange...they won't go to shows if they are at established, "nice" venues...that is the only reason I could think of that these shows are not sold out...

bgart13
02-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Or people don't actually care about Greg Ginn and Chavo doing Black Flag. I'm in Chicago and am passing on it. Without knowing who else is actually playing in the band and such, there's no way I'm dumping nearly $40 to see this.

Ian Jane
03-15-2013, 09:16 AM
There's a new interview with Ron Reyes here in which he talks about all sorts of things, including how he got involved again with Ginn.

http://www.punknews.org/article/50941/interviews-ron-reyes-piggy-red-cross-black-flag

Roderick
03-15-2013, 11:14 PM
I was at the local record shanty today and the subject of Black Flag came up. The gal behind the counter said that a friend of hers had auditioned for Ginn's new fake Black Flag and got the job but turned it down. He's supposedly writing an article about it for Vice. Both clerks agreed he was a douche for writing for Vice.

Roderick
03-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Tix are $25 for Seattle. I bit.

MonkeyBeat
03-21-2013, 06:21 PM
I see they announced all the dates for this tour. (http://blackflagofficial.com/tour/)
They're coming to Portland, but I just can't get excited enough about this to buy a ticket.

Mark Tolch
03-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Flag are playing a massive show in Quebec with Agnostic Front, Marilyn Manson, Madball, Alice Cooper, Bad Brains, etc etc etc etc, tickets are 80 bucks for 150 bands. I'm all over this like a mofo.

Ian Jane
04-24-2013, 05:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsZt8yiwN-o&feature=player_embedded

Ian Jane
05-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Man, I want FLAG to come to NYC. I have a feeling they'll be better than Ginn's version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLm-G6hg1ZI&feature=youtu.be

Roderick
05-02-2013, 05:00 PM
I was at the local record shanty today and the subject of Black Flag came up. The gal behind the counter said that a friend of hers had auditioned for Ginn's new fake Black Flag and got the job but turned it down. He's supposedly writing an article about it for Vice. Both clerks agreed he was a douche for writing for Vice.

And HERE (http://www.vice.com/read/can-i-get-in-the-van-000288-v20n4?Contentpage=-1) it is.

And HERE (http://m.vice.com/read/the-long-vice-interview-with-flag-dukowski) is the same guy interviewing FLAG.

Ian Jane
05-02-2013, 05:43 PM
You can hear the first new Black Flag song from the upcoming album here.

http://www.dropcards.com/blackflag/content/index.php

Ian Jane
05-02-2013, 05:48 PM
You know that's not bad at all.

Nolando
05-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Agreed - am surprised I don't totally hate it...

Roderick
05-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Eh... it's not doing much for me.

Roderick
05-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Has anyone here checked out Ginn's other current band Good For You? I've only heard one track but it features Mike Vallely on vox trying to sound like Hank. They are opening for Black Flag on the tour... so Ginn is opening for himself.

Ian Jane
05-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Yeah, the whole GFY album is on Spotify if you want to hear it for free. It's not bad.

bgart13
05-03-2013, 01:44 PM
You know that's not bad at all.

You're right - it's terrible! Blech!!!!

Mark Tolch
05-03-2013, 03:18 PM
You're right - it's terrible! Blech!!!!

Yeah, I get that it's not going to sound like Jealous Again, but that's not good.

Travis Sheldon
05-04-2013, 05:41 AM
I like the new song.
Just don't like it as Black Flag's new song.
As of now, I'm leaning more towards the FLAG lineup for authenticity. (Whatever the fuck that means)

Mark Tolch
05-04-2013, 10:23 AM
I like the new song.
Just don't like it as Black Flag's new song.
As of now, I'm leaning more towards the FLAG lineup for authenticity. (Whatever the fuck that means)

It's 75% accurate as opposed to 50%. :D

With FLAG, you're getting a better singer, a rad bassist, and an amazing drummer. Two original members. The name FLAG is also different, in my opinion, than using the name BLACK FLAG...seems less blasphemous, even if Ginn does own the name.

With BLACK FLAG, you're getting THE guitarist and a decent singer.

I'm with you, leaning more towards FLAG.

The song is definitely causing some of the more amusing debates on the intranets....half the population are afraid to say that they like it, and the other half are afraid to say that they hate it.

Ian Jane
05-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Ginn owns it, I'd use it too if I were him.

I don't see this as any different than Ness continuing as Social Distortion without a single original member left in the band outside of himself - and creating music that sounds completely different than the earlier SxDx stuff.

I'm happy for the chance to see Black Flag next month. And if FLAG comes around NYC, I'll go see them too.

I'm not afraid to say that I like the new song. I like Ron's vocals on it, the Ginn guitar sound is there. It's angry but the playing is tight. It's not a new classic or anything, but I think it's decent and am curious to see what the rest of the new album sounds like.

And I'm also trying really, really hard not to let me love of old BF cloud my expectations and reactions to the new material. It's not easy. haha.

Mark Tolch
05-04-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't see this as any different than Ness continuing as Social Distortion without a single original member left in the band outside of himself - and creating music that sounds completely different than the earlier SxDx stuff.

Me neither...and that last SxDx album is horribly bad haha.

Travis Sheldon
05-04-2013, 05:52 PM
I'll support both Black Flag and FLAG, equally.
Much prefer the FLAG pedigree, though.
Ron Reyes always had a great BF voice.
My list of favorite BF vocallists goes like this: 1. Morris, 2. Reyes, 3. Dez, 4. Rollins
The worst thing about the new Black Flag song to me is the bass and drums.

Ian Jane
05-04-2013, 08:23 PM
I can't help but agree with each one of those sentiments.

MonkeyBeat
05-05-2013, 08:05 PM
I can't say that I hate the new single, but it doesn't sound like Black Flag to me. Maybe it's because it's mp3 format, but the production sounds like pro-tools. I always associated Black Flag songs with the sound of tape and minimal tracks.
If Flag really wants to get under Ginn's skin they should release a song with Spot producing.

Roderick
05-11-2013, 01:07 AM
This one isn't doing anything for me either.

http://youtu.be/BKk6uKfRzOg

bgart13
05-11-2013, 01:24 AM
Eh, it's miles better than the other one -- but it's missing something too.

MonkeyBeat
05-11-2013, 03:03 AM
This one isn't doing anything for me either.

http://youtu.be/BKk6uKfRzOg

They should pitch this for use in a Taco Bell ad.

Travis Sheldon
05-11-2013, 06:14 PM
I like Down in the Dirt better.
What's up with no solo, Greg?
Flute man Greg.
Flute ya flute, Greg.

Ian Jane
05-13-2013, 01:05 PM
A whole bunch of FLAG dates just announced this morning:

05-27 Las Vegas, NV - Punk Rock Bowling
06-07 Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE
06-08 Detroit, MI - Orion Music + More Festival
06-09 Cleveland, OH - Grog Shop
06-13 Buffalo, NY - Town Ballroom
06-14 Toronto, Ontario - NXNE Festival
06-15 Montebello, Quebec - Amnesia Rock Fest
08-24 Los Angeles, CA - FYF Fest
09-13 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
09-16 Baltimore, MD - Baltimore Soundstage
09-18 Philadelphia, PA - Trocadero
09-19 New York, NY - Irving Plaza
09-20 Boston, MA - The Paradise

Ian Jane
05-16-2013, 05:42 PM
And the first 'Black Flag' video pops up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PypebeKbvP8&feature=youtu.be

Ian Jane
05-20-2013, 12:27 PM
New track, Wallow In Despair.

http://www.stenchradio.com/stream.php

Ian Jane
07-15-2013, 10:54 AM

Zane C.
07-15-2013, 11:10 AM

Bwahaha! What is Gandalf doing in a Black Flag shirt?!

Ian Jane
07-15-2013, 11:24 AM
I dunno, but I do know that it's awesome.

Mark Tolch
07-15-2013, 08:41 PM
That's fuckin rad.

Ian Jane
09-28-2013, 02:13 PM
I don't agree with all of this, but it's an amusing and fairly clever read.

http://thetalkhouse.com/features/view/zachary-lipez-flag-black-flag-and-chuck-dukowski-national-treasure

Ian Jane
10-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Glen Friedman shot this from the stage last month.

http://vimeo.com/75044370

Nolando
10-03-2013, 01:10 PM
A buddy of mine in high school got sent home for wearing that Slip It In tee

Terry C
10-11-2013, 02:04 AM
Flag Wins Court Case:

http://www.spin.com/articles/flag-black-greg-ginn-lawsuit-won-keith-morris-henry-rollins/

Travis Sheldon
10-11-2013, 03:37 AM
Guess the royalty checks from SST will be a bit lighter in the coming months.

MonkeyBeat
10-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Flag Wins Court Case:

http://www.spin.com/articles/flag-black-greg-ginn-lawsuit-won-keith-morris-henry-rollins/

Even though I think Ginn is a dick, I still think he deserves some rights to the trademark. Based on what this article says of the ruling, it looks like Morris & Rollins could be granted their ownership of trademark. That would mean the burdon of enforcement would be on them to either stop Ginn's use or come to an agreement for him to use or license it.
If Ginn was smart he'd workout a partnership for the trademark, but then if he was smart he wouldn't have burned bridges with his ex-bandmates in the first place.

Mark Tolch
10-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Wow, that's heavy. And yeah, I agree with Monkeybeat...kinda sucks that Ginn could get hosed out of any rights to the trademark, whatsoever. I'm HOPING that Keith will be the bigger man here, and even if he comes out on top with everything, doesn't pull the same shit on Ginn's touring band. Even though all of the reports I've heard of BLACK FLAG are not the best, the man, IMO, has the right to tour those songs.

Zane C.
10-12-2013, 01:17 AM
Wow, that's heavy. And yeah, I agree with Monkeybeat...kinda sucks that Ginn could get hosed out of any rights to the trademark, whatsoever. I'm HOPING that Keith will be the bigger man here, and even if he comes out on top with everything, doesn't pull the same shit on Ginn's touring band. Even though all of the reports I've heard of BLACK FLAG are not the best, the man, IMO, has the right to tour those songs.

He does, but he's such a dick. Legally, he's entitled to something, I agree. Karmically and morally, they should tell him to piss up a rope. If he hadn't been such an obnoxious turd in the first place, he wouldn't be in this position. Plus, if he had his shit nailed down, he would have had the copyright locked up years ago, and this wouldn't have happened to him. Frankly, if they offered him a piece of the pie, I think he'd want more and be an ass about it. Dunno, just the vibe I get from him, and from how he's acted in the past, I don't think I'm far off.

I'd love to hear Rollins' take on this. I'm an unabashed Rollins fan, and love him or hate him, Hank usually has an argument with merit.

Mark Tolch
10-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I kinda lost a lot of respect for Henry when I watched him interview Gene Simmons and sit there smiling and nodding while Gene talked about people getting into music for chicks and money, but he's probably got something at least amusing to say.

Zane C.
10-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I kinda lost a lot of respect for Henry when I watched him interview Gene Simmons and sit there smiling and nodding while Gene talked about people getting into music for chicks and money, but he's probably got something at least amusing to say.

Yeah, Henry's not everyone's cup of tea. I like his work besides Flag, and he's a pretty well read guy. I've seen his spoken word show three times, and he never fails to be great. I could see how some might be irritated by the guy, though.

Mark Tolch
10-12-2013, 12:36 PM
My shining Rollins moment was when I was working security for Music Week one year (the one year Ian didn't do it), and they asked me to meet Hank over by the elevators and escort him to the room. I was laughing because I was supposed to be his security, but the guy always seemed like a brute...when I met him in person, I realized he was about 3 apples high. Him and Danzig make a smashing couple.

Zane C.
10-13-2013, 03:09 AM
My shining Rollins moment was when I was working security for Music Week one year (the one year Ian didn't do it), and they asked me to meet Hank over by the elevators and escort him to the room. I was laughing because I was supposed to be his security, but the guy always seemed like a brute...when I met him in person, I realized he was about 3 apples high. Him and Danzig make a smashing couple.

That's damn funny! Danzig is a guy whose mouth gets him in trouble all the time and who seems like a jerk. I remember seeing that clip of him getting punched and dropping like a sack of potatoes and laughing, because he always fancies himself such a tough guy. I enjoy his work with the Misfits and some of his solo work, but he comes across as quite obnoxious. Rollins seems fairly approachable, though I'm sure he might also be a bit much at times.

Travis Sheldon
10-14-2013, 12:04 PM
3 apples high, is that code for something?
Sounds kinky.

Roderick
10-14-2013, 12:17 PM
I think Henry is average height, but that doesn't live up to Mark's fantasy so he gets the thumbs down.

Newt Cox
10-14-2013, 01:57 PM
3 apples high, is that code for something?
Sounds kinky.

Smurfs were always said to be 3 apples high.

Mark Tolch
10-14-2013, 05:37 PM
I think Henry is average height, but that doesn't live up to Mark's fantasy so he gets the thumbs down.

He's 5'7, ma man. Short.

And yeah, the smurfs were 3 apples high.

Roderick
10-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Okay, that's shorter than I thought. I hate him now too.

I always thought those little plastic Smurf toys were produced to scale? A Smurf the size of original GI Joe is kind of creepy.

Mark Tolch
10-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Yeah, those toys were meant to take your eye off the prize... Smurfs are damn scary in real life.

Marshall Crist
10-14-2013, 08:33 PM
I picture an apple being about four inches tall. So Henry would be approximately 17 apples high.

Ian Jane
10-24-2013, 12:19 PM
So the new Black Flag album is called 'What The...' and here's the cover art.

The track listing is:

My Heart's Pumping
Down in the Dirt
Blood and Ashes
Now Is the Time
Wallow in Despair
Slow Your Ass Down
It's so Absurd
Shut Up
This Is Hell
Go Away
The Bitter End
The Chase
I'm Sick
It's Not My Time to Go-Go
Lies
Get out of My Way
Outside
No Teeth
To Hell and Back
Give Me All Your Dough
You Gotta Be Joking
Off My Shoulders

CD and vinyl releases are coming 12/3/13. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G28N1F0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00G28N1F0&linkCode=as2&tag=cognitrespon-20)

Ian Jane
10-24-2013, 12:19 PM
That cover art is FUCKING HORRIBLE.

Roderick
10-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Yeah. Pathetic.

Mark Tolch
10-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Jesus fuck.

Zane C.
10-24-2013, 09:53 PM
That cover art is FUCKING HORRIBLE.

Understatement of the year. "What The...." is right.

Ian Jane
11-05-2013, 04:32 PM
The whole album is up on Spotify as of this morning.

Ian Jane
11-05-2013, 04:44 PM
This album is pretty ridiculous.

Roderick
11-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Sometimes you CAN judge a book by the cover. Ugh.

Ian Jane
11-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Is it just me or is Ginn playing the same riff over the entire album?

I guess I didn't notice it hearing on sporadic early track at a time but hearing it all back to back it's like one big, long, terrible song.

Roderick
11-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Is it just me or is Ginn playing the same riff over the entire album?

I guess I didn't notice it hearing on sporadic early track at a time but hearing it all back to back it's like one big, long, terrible song.

About 3 songs in I started to wonder the same thing. "What the..." turns out to be a sadly appropriate title.

Zane C.
11-06-2013, 12:30 AM
Damnit Greg Ginn, quit dragging the good name of Black Flag through the mud with sub par product.

Roderick
11-26-2013, 05:48 PM
I will confess I could not get through the whole album. After the first few songs I started skipping ahead and finally bailed.

Reading this was more fun than listening to the album: http://noisey.vice.com/blog/what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-the-cover-of-the-new-black-flag-album

What do you think Black Flag are thinking right now?
"I can't wait to see what those assholes on America Online think about this cover."

Ian Jane
11-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Ron Reyes is no longer in the band.

From his FB page:

“On November 24th 2013 the last night of the Australian Hits and Pits tour with two songs left in the set Mike V comes on stage stares me down, takes my mic and says “You’re done, party’s over get off it’s over…” He said something else to me but it was a lie so I won’t repeat it here. So with a sense of great relief that it was finally over I left the stage and walked to the hotel room. They finished the set with Mike V on vocals. There is much more that can and perhaps should be said. But for now I will spare you the gory details.

The writing was on the wall since before we played our first show. So many things went wrong from the start. I was into things like having a good drummer, rehearsing and spending time on things like beginnings and endings of songs, being a little less distracted with tour life and a little more on the ball. You know things that would make our efforts worthy of the name Black Flag… Yes it is my opinion that we fell very short indeed and the diminishing ticket sales and crowds are a testament to that. However It was made clear to me that raising these issues was tantamount to a blasphemous stab in the back to Greg. How could I question him, his efforts and hard work?How could I dare be a fan of OFF! And or be friends and a fan of Flag? I was told that I had to chose sides. But I refuse to treat someone like an infallible Pope figure. No guitarist deserves such unquestioning blind devotion.

And so I have been excommunicated in a very strange fashion. I truly feel sorry for anyone who had to witness the infantile behavior and the relentless provocation I was subjected to both on and off the stage. I regret that under such fierce provocation and taunting I sometimes responded in manners bellow my standard. I am grateful for the opportunities Greg gave me. There were some magical moments at first. I was naive enough to believe in the promise of potential. But in the end the good was no match for the overwhelming bad. I am proud of my contributions including the new album and it’s cover. Come on folks it’s only rock n roll.

I would not be surprised if Mike V becomes the new singer for Black Flag. It is my opinion that they have been planing this for some time. I wish them well. Mike is a true disciple of Greg and so they have a good working relationship. And ironically the tension over the last weeks has brought out some of Greg’s best playing. So it could be interesting.

I will miss playing with Dave Klien. He is a great kid and truly an outstanding bass player. Dave was an anchor that kept me from losing my place on a nightly basis. Trust me that was no easy task for either of us. I truly apologize for being in or more accurately “appearing” to be in competition with “Flag”. They know my heart on this matter. From the beginning I was happy for them and fully supported and understood why they would want to rock those songs and have a good time with friends and family. Yes I questioned their use of the name and logo but in no way questioned their motivation or right to do their thing. I envy them for they have succeeded in ways that were never possible with “Black Flag”.

And once again for the record, I agreed to do Black Flag before I knew there was a Flag. I mean no malice towards Greg or Mike although they will most likely see things very differently. I wish them luck and prosperity. I have learned many valuable lessons this year. And these lessons will enrich my personal and musical endeavors. Cheers. Ron Reyes.”

Zane C.
11-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Ron Reyes is no longer in the band.

From his FB page:

“On November 24th 2013 the last night of the Australian Hits and Pits tour with two songs left in the set Mike V comes on stage stares me down, takes my mic and says “You’re done, party’s over get off it’s over…” He said something else to me but it was a lie so I won’t repeat it here. So with a sense of great relief that it was finally over I left the stage and walked to the hotel room. They finished the set with Mike V on vocals. There is much more that can and perhaps should be said. But for now I will spare you the gory details.

The writing was on the wall since before we played our first show. So many things went wrong from the start. I was into things like having a good drummer, rehearsing and spending time on things like beginnings and endings of songs, being a little less distracted with tour life and a little more on the ball. You know things that would make our efforts worthy of the name Black Flag… Yes it is my opinion that we fell very short indeed and the diminishing ticket sales and crowds are a testament to that. However It was made clear to me that raising these issues was tantamount to a blasphemous stab in the back to Greg. How could I question him, his efforts and hard work?How could I dare be a fan of OFF! And or be friends and a fan of Flag? I was told that I had to chose sides. But I refuse to treat someone like an infallible Pope figure. No guitarist deserves such unquestioning blind devotion.

And so I have been excommunicated in a very strange fashion. I truly feel sorry for anyone who had to witness the infantile behavior and the relentless provocation I was subjected to both on and off the stage. I regret that under such fierce provocation and taunting I sometimes responded in manners bellow my standard. I am grateful for the opportunities Greg gave me. There were some magical moments at first. I was naive enough to believe in the promise of potential. But in the end the good was no match for the overwhelming bad. I am proud of my contributions including the new album and it’s cover. Come on folks it’s only rock n roll.

I would not be surprised if Mike V becomes the new singer for Black Flag. It is my opinion that they have been planing this for some time. I wish them well. Mike is a true disciple of Greg and so they have a good working relationship. And ironically the tension over the last weeks has brought out some of Greg’s best playing. So it could be interesting.

I will miss playing with Dave Klien. He is a great kid and truly an outstanding bass player. Dave was an anchor that kept me from losing my place on a nightly basis. Trust me that was no easy task for either of us. I truly apologize for being in or more accurately “appearing” to be in competition with “Flag”. They know my heart on this matter. From the beginning I was happy for them and fully supported and understood why they would want to rock those songs and have a good time with friends and family. Yes I questioned their use of the name and logo but in no way questioned their motivation or right to do their thing. I envy them for they have succeeded in ways that were never possible with “Black Flag”.

And once again for the record, I agreed to do Black Flag before I knew there was a Flag. I mean no malice towards Greg or Mike although they will most likely see things very differently. I wish them luck and prosperity. I have learned many valuable lessons this year. And these lessons will enrich my personal and musical endeavors. Cheers. Ron Reyes.”

Wow. Further reinforces my stance that I will not support anything Greg Ginn related. What a jerk.

bgart13
11-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Haha, wow. I hope Ron joins up with FLAG now. In fact, I'd sort of expect it. At least for an occasional show.

Mark Tolch
11-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Should've been dead before it got off the ground.

Travis Sheldon
12-04-2013, 02:17 AM
I had to google to find out who Mike V was in the first place.
I still haven't been able to make it through the entire album. But I did listen to about half of it today and it's growing on me.
But I do see what y'all are saying about the recycled riffs.
Had no idea Ron designed that cover. Yeesh

Mark Tolch
12-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Mike Vallely, the vegan skater. I guess he was acting as their manager?

Terry C
12-16-2013, 04:58 AM
Didn't hear about this till now, but wow, what a couple of shitheads. Ron still has a great voice and was pretty much the only positive interest going on in that band.

Ian Jane
01-30-2014, 06:23 PM
Black Flag apologizes for sucking.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/black-flag-returning-more-cohesive-with-new-frontman-20140130

sukebanboy
01-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Black Flag apologizes for sucking.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/black-flag-returning-more-cohesive-with-new-frontman-20140130

Doesn't really seem like an apology...Just making excuses and passing the buck....and hoping the fans will give him another chance when he releases more stuff later...

Mark Tolch
01-31-2014, 12:29 PM
Yeah. Put the blame fully on Reyes....including the shitty album cover. That doesn't make me feel any nicer about it.

Roderick
01-31-2014, 01:11 PM
Reyes was adequate live. The real problem was Ginn's endless noodling and theremin wanking.

Mark Tolch
01-31-2014, 02:10 PM
Reyes was adequate live. The real problem was Ginn's endless noodling and theremin wanking.

I don't understand how anyone using a theremin onstage at a Black Flag show can point the finger at somebody else and go "He's the problem".

Oh, and since it hasn't been said yet, fuck Mike Vallely.

Ian Jane
02-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Black Flag bassist quits and forgets to tell anyone. (http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2014/02/black_flag_bass.html)

sukebanboy
02-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Black Flag bassist quits and forgets to tell anyone. (http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2014/02/black_flag_bass.html)

Too embarrassed to be associated with all the shenanigans going on around BF...so decided to make a quiet exit....

Roderick
03-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Reyes interview about the whole mess: http://beatroute.ca/2014/03/04/terminal-city-confidential-march-2014/

But the best part comes at the end where he claims there is finally some movement on an official release of The Decline of Western Civilization on DVD. “Penelope always moves forward and has a hard time looking back. However, I’ve finally convinced her to make the DVD release of THE DECLINE series a priority because I know the world wants to see them again.”

Ian Jane
03-18-2014, 12:14 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BLACK FLAG
VICTIMOLOGY NORTH AMERICAN TOUR 2014

Band returns to the road with new vocalist Mike Vallely.

Taylor, TX March 18, 2014 — BLACK FLAG has announced a spring / summer tour of North America entitled the VICTIMOLOGY TOUR. The tour kicks off on May 15 in Midland, Texas and includes dates in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, New York, Toronto as well as an appearance at the Amnesia Rockfest Music Festival in Montebello, Quebec, Canada on June 20th.

The VICTIMOLOGY TOUR will feature new vocalist Mike Vallely joining the band for the first time since performing with them at the 2003 Benefit Shows at the Hollywood Palladium. Vallely is the fifth vocalist in the band’s 38 years of existence and according to founding member, guitarist, primary songwriter and sole continuous member Greg Ginn, Vallely “is the perfect frontman to capture what Black Flag was, is and will be.”

Vallely affirms, “I’m excited about performing songs from the entire Black Flag catalog. I feel confident in my ability to communicate the songs — To give them their due respect and yet still make them my own. Ginn’s songwriting is truly timeless and it gives all of the material relevance right here, right now.”

Supporting BLACK FLAG on the VICTIMOLOGY TOUR (except where noted **) will be Ginn’s own HOR, an electronic, psychedelic, instrumental band, and Brooklyn, NY two- piece atmospheric punk band Cinema Cinema.

Below is a list of confirmed BLACK FLAG VICTIMOLOGY TOUR dates thus far— (More dates for July and August will be added soon):

MAY
May 15: Midland, TX @ Blue Max – Ages 21 & Up
May 16: El Paso, TX @ Tricky Falls – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
May 17: Scottsdale, AZ @ Pubrock – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
May 18: Las Vegas, NV @ Hard Rock Cafe – Ages 18 & Up + Bar w/ ID
May 19: Bakersfield, CA @ On The Rocks – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
May 20: San Diego, CA @ House of Blues – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
May 21: Anaheim, CA @ House of Blues – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
May 22: San Francisco, CA @ Brick & Mortar Music Hall – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
May 23: Oakland, CA @ New Parrish – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
May 24: Reno, NV @ Jub Jub’s Thirst Parlor – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
May 27: Seattle, WA @ The Showbox – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
May 28: Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theater – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
May 29: Bend, OR @ Volcanic Theater Pub – All Ages + Beer & Wine w/ ID
May 30: Sacramento, CA @ Ace of Spades – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
May 31: Los Angeles, CA @ House of Blues – All Ages + Bar w/ ID

JUNE
June 11: Dallas, TX @ Elm Street Festival – All Ages + Bar w/ ID **Festival
June 13: Columbia, MO @ Blue Note – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
June 14: Omaha, NE @ Bourbon Theatre – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
June 15: Minneapolis, MN @ Triple Rock – Ages 18 & Up + Bar w/ ID
June 16: Madison, WI @ Majestic – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
June 17: Chicago, IL @ Reggies – Ages 17 & Up + Bar w/ ID
June 18: Lansing, MI @ The Avenue – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
June 19: Toronto, ON @ El Mocambo – Ages 19 & Up + Bar w/ ID
June 20: Montebello @ Amnesia Rockfest – All Ages **Festival
June 21: Danbury, CT @ Heirloom Arts – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
June 22: Brooklyn, NY @ Europa – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
June 23: Long Branch, NJ @ Brighton Bar – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
June 24: Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
June 25: Pittsburgh, PA @ Altar Bar – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
June 26, Newport, KY @ Southgate House – All Ages + Bar w/ ID
June 27: Nashville, TN @ Exit/In – Ages 18 & Up + Bar w/ ID
June 28: Hot Springs, AR @ Maxine’s – All Ages + Bar w/ ID

** (HOR and Cinema Cinema will NOT be on this date)

Roderick
03-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

Ian Jane
03-18-2014, 12:25 PM
No shit. Nice to see though that the venue they're playing in Brooklyn this time around is about 1/4 the size of the one they played last time (and it's only 1 night instead of 2).

Mark Tolch
03-18-2014, 04:34 PM
At this time last year, I'd be frothing at the mouth to see them play at the El Mo. This year...pass. Put 'em on a double bill with the new Dead Kennedys....once great bands that haven't realized that their vocalist has a lot to do with what made them so great.

Roderick
06-06-2014, 01:25 PM
http://pitchfork.com/news/55474-black-flag-to-play-kids-show-in-chicago/

PUPPET SHOW
AND BLACK FLAG

Roderick
06-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Worth watching for the last bit:

http://vimeo.com/90269369

Mark Tolch
06-26-2014, 03:46 PM
AWESOME. Haha.

Ian Jane
10-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Gregg Ginn accused of child abuse! (http://dyingscene.com/news/greg-ginn-accused-of-child-abuse-by-ex-wife/)

Mark Tolch
10-14-2014, 02:21 PM
If that's true....what a fuckin asshole.

Marshall Crist
10-14-2014, 07:59 PM
At least as likely that the ex in angling for more child support.

Don't get married, don't have kids, don't cohabitate. I could not be more serious.

bgart13
10-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Time to gay up, fellas!

Roderick
10-14-2014, 09:57 PM
These dicks ain't gonna suck themselves.

Marshall Crist
10-14-2014, 11:47 PM
Or are they?

Mark Tolch
10-15-2014, 08:11 AM
Time to gay up, fellas!

No doubt.

Roderick
10-18-2014, 01:23 PM
http://youtu.be/xyx1F9Bv4Q4

Ian Jane
10-18-2014, 05:00 PM
They played here with with, I think, The Meatmen, about two years ago.

Ian Jane
12-01-2014, 02:26 PM
When you hear things that trouble your heart, especially the heart of a parent... well lets just say that it is hard to stay silent and wash your hands and somehow walk away hoping to remain safe and unaffected. I am very troubled by what I have heard over the last couple months. And all I can hope for is that somehow things will work out in favour of two very precious children so they can live a life that is safe and full of love, support and guidance they deserve. Whenever a woman speaks out about abuse people want to second guess her and cast shame and doubt over her claims. This infuriates me to no end as I have two daughters and a wife of 27 years that I love to death. It is just not right to immediately doubt and somehow pour shame onto a woman for speaking out based on gender. I have no love of lawyers and do not look forward to the backlash I will receive for lending a voice of support to those who have reached out to me. But called i have been and I just can't ignore that. People please consider the source of all accusations carefully and pray for an outcome of peace and love and safety for children who cannot speak for themselves in court.

Peace
Ron Reyes

Source (with more sordid details) here (http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2014/12/ron_reyes_makes.html).

Ian Jane
12-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Oh and yeah, if you want 'the dirt' click that link that'll bring you to an affidavit of Reyes' testimony from the court hearings.

paul h.
12-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Wow. I appreciate Ron for having the strength and wisdom to go on the record. Greg, why not send your kids to school? That is messed up stuff, and it sounds like there could potentially be several other witnesses.

Mark Tolch
12-01-2014, 05:45 PM
If it's true, Ginn needs to have his kids taken away permanently, and he needs a kick in the face. What a dick.

paul h.
12-01-2014, 05:58 PM
If it's true, Ginn needs to have his kids taken away permanently, and he needs a kick in the face. What a dick.

Yeah, guess I should wait and see what else happens before judging the dude.

Mark Tolch
12-01-2014, 06:37 PM
I'm generally pre-disposed to believing that he's totally guilty, but I'm a judgemental asshole. :D

paul h.
12-01-2014, 06:40 PM
hee hee. I resemble that remark.

Terry C
12-01-2014, 09:11 PM
'Marina also alleges that he emotionally harasses his daughters by whistling and telling them, “You’re hot.”'

What...the fuck?

Mark Tolch
12-01-2014, 09:38 PM
All kindsa wrong.

Ian Jane
03-23-2016, 10:44 AM
FLAG tour dates, some of which are with D.O.A.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/flag-announce-tour-with-war-on-women-the-dirty-nil-and-more/

Mark Tolch
03-23-2016, 10:57 AM
Yeah, they're playing Lee's. I'm in.

Ian Jane
01-28-2019, 02:46 PM
Looks like Greg Ginn is going to give it another shot.

https://www.punknews.org/article/69020/greg-ginns-black-flag-to-play-first-show-in-four-years

Ian Jane
03-20-2019, 02:34 PM
Ha, so Black Flag are touring again, with Mike Vallely on vocals.

Last time they played in NYC they sold out two nights at a large venue called The Warsaw. Now they're playing a single night at Brooklyn Bazaar, which is about 1/5 the size, if that (it's the place I and 20 other people saw The Dayglo Abortions play last summer).

Tickets last time were $50, now they're $30.

Mark Tolch
03-20-2019, 03:25 PM
That album was garbage, and Ron Reyes getting kicked out at a show was a dick move. Ginn can suck it.

Ian Jane
03-20-2019, 04:02 PM
That album was garbage, and Ron Reyes getting kicked out at a show was a dick move. Ginn can suck it.

Quoted for truth.

Mark Tolch
03-20-2019, 04:17 PM
Apparently, problems with being a dick to women run in the family:

https://nypost.com/2018/04/04/black-flag-founders-brother-busted-for-violating-order-of-protection/