PDA

View Full Version : Black Cobra Woman (Eva Nera) - Laura Gemser & Jack Palance!

Ian Jane
01-25-2013, 03:22 PM
This got a widescreen DVD release in Italy (Italian language, no English subs)...

...but to the best of my knowledge has only ever received lousy fullframe tape sourced lovin' in North America.

Apprehensive Films are putting it out on a double feature disc next month teamed up with Superbitch. Observe the less than good cover art:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81nDak1XbUL._AA1500_.jpg

They previously released it on its own and their website (http://www.thecrippledmasters.com/blackcobrawomandvd.html) says that it is at least letterboxed though I have no idea as to the quality of it.

Here's a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFSUZCknZFk

Ian Jane
01-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Also it was released by some budget label using this completely shitty cover:

Andrew Monroe
01-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Funny you started this thread, Ian, as I got the Apprehensive bootleg last week! I haven't looked at it yet but it does indeed claim to be letterboxed. The cover is that image from the double feature - I don't hate it but no, it's no great shakes. I'll report back when I watch it, probably next week. I have never seen the film, btw. I have it in at least one budget set (fullframe) but never have gotten round to it.

I hate supporting these bootleggers but I couldn't resisit this letterboxed version. Apprehensive also released SUPER BITCH as a solo disc btw, but if you're interested in this film the Arrow disc is the way to go.

Ian Jane
01-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Weird timing! I've got my copy en route, should have it by Monday. If you don't beat me to it, I'll post some screen grabs then.

And having never seen Superbitch, if I dig it when I watch it, I'll support the Arrow release. I haven't seen either one of these before.

Andrew Monroe
01-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Because I have a bad habit of hating to buy only one thing at Amazon, haha, I also got Apprehensive's dvd of MAGDALENA - THE DEVIL INSIDE THE FEMALE aka MAGDALENA POSSESSED BY THE DEVIL. I haven't looked that one either but it weirdly says on the back cover "fullscreen letterboxed uncut trailers" which I take to mean there are two versions of the film included but who knows? I'll try to check it out in the next few days.

Ian Jane
01-25-2013, 03:58 PM
What a strange way to phrase things. Definitely interested to see how those two releases shape up, Andrew.

John Bernhard
01-25-2013, 05:40 PM
They continue to shamelessly rip off the fan community. These titles are available for free / trade and in better quality, as Apprehensive includes degrading the sources they rip off as part of their 'service'. FRANKENSTEIN 80 and MAGDELENA were well done fandubs made with the German VHS tapes and english tracks, and now SUPERBITCH and EVA NERA are getting bootlegged for profit treatment. They also have a habit of skipping the anamorphic enhancements and most of the extras from the fandiscs ( they used the trailers only, not the image galleries ect ).

Apronikoff
01-25-2013, 06:21 PM
And having never seen Superbitch, if I dig it when I watch it, I'll support the Arrow release. I haven't seen either one of these before.

Having watch Superbitch recently, I can say with virtual certainty that you'll dig the hell out of it, Ian.

Paul L
01-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Funnily enough, today I bought Arrow's SUPERBITCH from my local HMV for £6!

I've never seen EVA NERA but have been curious about it for a long while. I'll see if I can track down that fandub or, alternately, pony up for the Italian DVD and muddle through it with my mediocre understanding of the Italian language :biggrin:

Scyther
01-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Received this one in the mail recently and wrote down my thoughts. The quality of Black Cobra Woman is pretty heinous, although framed correctly. On the other hands, SuperBitch is framed INcorrectly, but looks leagues better...but why bother when Arrow's DVD is so superior?

http://www.examiner.com/review/apprehensive-films-releases-two-exploitation-flicks-from-the-vault

Some screen caps:54795480548154825483

Ian Jane
01-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Black Cobra Woman looks tight on the sides, you can see it in the opening credits, they're cut off on the left. Watched it yesterday, definitely taken from a tape source. To those who know the movie or have seen it before, how explicit does it get in terms of nudity and sex? There are a couple of spots where the editing seemed very choppy, the most striking example being when Gemser and the blonde put on their bathing suits - it looks like it's leading into lesbian sex territory but then cuts to them, if I remember correctly, walking down the street. Maybe this is the way the movie plays out, I haven't seen it before - but the edit seemed unusually abrupt.

I also thought that the movie itself was pretty slow. Palance is cool in it and does what he can with the material. Gemser sort of sleepwalks. One crazy scene involving Mr. Tinti and a snake towards the end took me by surprise. In typical D'Amato fashion it's nicely shot but it sure does recycle that main theme a lot throughout the movie.

Scyther
01-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Black Cobra Woman looks tight on the sides, you can see it in the opening credits, they're cut off on the left. Watched it yesterday, definitely taken from a tape source. To those who know the movie or have seen it before, how explicit does it get in terms of nudity and sex? There are a couple of spots where the editing seemed very choppy, the most striking example being when Gemser and the blonde put on their bathing suits - it looks like it's leading into lesbian sex territory but then cuts to them, if I remember correctly, walking down the street. Maybe this is the way the movie plays out, I haven't seen it before - but the edit seemed unusually abrupt.

I also thought that the movie itself was pretty slow. Palance is cool in it and does what he can with the material. Gemser sort of sleepwalks. One crazy scene involving Mr. Tinti and a snake towards the end took me by surprise. In typical D'Amato fashion it's nicely shot but it sure does recycle that main theme a lot throughout the movie.

I felt the same way with regards to the pacing. The snake skinning scene took me by surprise, as well.

Ian Jane
01-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Yeah, that was unexpected and gross. Did it seemed trimmed to you, Scyther? I'd never seen it before so I don't know...

Horace Cordier
01-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Is SUPERBITCH the Joan Collins thing? Just how trashy is it?

Back in the day I had a pretty powerful fire in the pants for La Collins.

Apronikoff
01-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Is SUPERBITCH the Joan Collins thing? Just how trashy is it?

Back in the day I had a pretty powerful fire in the pants for La Collins.

Nope, Superbitch is an Italian crime flick with the great Ivan Rassimov.

Paul L
01-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Horace, I think you're confusing SUPERBITCH with FEARLESS FUZZ/POLIZIOTTO SENZA PAURA, which is the Joan Collins poliziesco picture. Funnily enough, I often get the two pictures mixed up. SUPERBITCH features Stephanie Beacham.

Horace Cordier
01-29-2013, 01:26 AM
Well Beacham is pretty hot too in that period and I love old Ivan and its an Italian crime flick so... I'm in!

Paul L
01-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Well Beacham is pretty hot too
She's pretty, erm, nude in the film too :eyespoppingoutsmiley:

Adrian Jones
01-29-2013, 12:16 PM

I like this one a lot, the Italian release runs 1hr 32:47 secs in PAL so i would imagine that the US bootleg is cut, it's not a very explicit film anyway, female nudity, can't remember if the lesbian scene leads anywhere off hand.There are two torrents out there in the usual places, one is a full dvd9 which is subbed and the other is an english friendly AVI fan dub, wish someone would combine the two or even better release an official version !

Here's my Italian 4-fogli for this one

Ian Jane
01-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Hey Adrian - cool to see you here.

The DVD I have runs close to an hour and forty minutes (don't have it handy to check the exact time) so it's probably complete then. I guess given that it was D'Amato and Gemser, I expected more graphic sex!

Adrian Jones
01-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Yes likewise Ian good to hear from you, hope you are well.

It's not a terribily explicit film, though i do think it's one of D'Amato's best.....nice score too !

Scyther
01-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Agreed that the film is probably complete, and yeah, Adrian, I actually thought the score was good, as well. Was it recycled from anywhere? Could've sworn I've heard those Umiliani tunes on one of his library records, although I could be confusing it with one of the 37231874 Italian soundtrack compilations I own.

Ian Jane
01-29-2013, 04:48 PM
I liked the score, I just felt that it reused that main theme a few too many times for its own good.