PDA

View Full Version : Jose Ramon Larraz's SCREAM AND DIE (1974) on DVD

Paul L
02-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Has anyone seen the Italian DVD release of SCREAM AND DIE, which came out last year (2012)?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61tEcd5C1VL._SL500_.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's Italian only, but if it's a decent enough presentation of the film I would be interested in buying it.

Andrew Monroe
02-04-2013, 10:35 AM
I'd love a nice widescreen version of this, I only have a crappy EP mode vhs that I converted to dvd-r. Maybe if it's a nice print someone will do a fan version. Thanks for letting me know about this btw, Paul. I really like this film, it's very creepy and unsettling in spots. I continue to hope that one day we'll get a boxset of Larraz's early 4 thrillers - this, WHIRLPOOL, SYMPTOMS, and DEVIATION.

Ian Jane
02-04-2013, 06:08 PM
I've never seen this but that cover art is PRETTY AWESOME.

That is all.

Clive Smith
02-05-2013, 10:35 AM
I continue to hope that one day we'll get a boxset of Larraz's early 4 thrillers - this, WHIRLPOOL, SYMPTOMS, and DEVIATION.

Yeah, with you on that, Andrew. Dream box set!

I also really want to see the recent Larraz doc. 'ON VAMPYRES AND OTHER SYMPTOMS'. Hopefully it'll get some sort of release down the line... or could appear as a substantial extra...

Paul, you gonna spring for the SCREAM AND DIE release?

Andrew Monroe
02-05-2013, 01:05 PM
I also really want to see the recent Larraz doc. 'ON VAMPYRES AND OTHER SYMPTOMS'. Hopefully it'll get some sort of release down the line... or could appear as a substantial extra...

Yeah, I want to see that too. Started a thread on it here a few months ago. It'd be a perfect extra for that dream set! Those 4 films are head and shoulders his best work imo.

Paul L
02-05-2013, 04:58 PM
I'd buy that box set too!

I haven't decided whether to take the plunge on this disc or not, Clive. Apparently, it's not English-friendly, and I found some comments on an Italian forum that state the DVD looks like it's been sourced from a VHS tape.

Segnalo la qualità scadente del dvd della Mosaico Media, ai limiti dell'accettabile. Peggio di una vhs riversata per intenderci.
See here: http://davinotti.com/index.php?forum=20023312

Clive Smith
02-06-2013, 05:40 AM
Rats. Thanks for doing the research, Paul. I'm hankering to see this now, so I'll need to rummage about for my old UK VHS.

Watched SYMPTOMS again recently - it's a great little character study/psychodrama and beautifully shot. Very atmospheric.