PDA

View Full Version : Lyle Alzado Is... The Destroyer!

Ian Jane
02-11-2013, 10:19 AM
OK, so I saw the trailer for this on Colour Correct My Cock the other day and now I'm sort of obsessing over it. I know it got a VHS release, cause you can still find the tape on eBay easily enough. It looks like this:

I'd rather have a DVD than a tape though. Amazon has a very vague listing (http://www.amazon.com/Destroyer-slip-sleeve-Lyle-Alzado/dp/B001GHWHSY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1360591912&sr=8-7&keywords=lyle+alzado+dvd) for one but does it actually exist? I can't find any evidence that it does.

Dig this trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C0DU381gZ0

Looks great, right? Anthony Perkins is in this too, for some reason. It's also up on youtube in parts but that's not as fun. And there are bootleg DVD-Rs around too, but blah.

Toyboy
02-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Was that Randy, the hippie from MTV in there?

Ian Jane
02-11-2013, 11:18 AM
I don't know Randy the hippy.

Jason C
02-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Just the inclusion of the DESTROYER trailer is enough to warrant a purchase of CCMC. I love that trailer.

I watched DESTROYER (a DVD-R of the VHS) a couple years ago and it was a huge disappointment. It ticks the boxes of what you hope to see in a worthwhile slasher flick: interesting setup, imposing killer, decent kills, gratuitous nudity. But the pacing is terrible and dialogue is cringe worthy. Worst of all, while Alzado looks the part his lack of acting chops hold the character back.

I regularly watch and enjoy no-budget slasher flicks. My standards are very low. Unfortunately DESTROYER didn't work for me. That said, if it ever gets a nice widescreen release I'll give it another chance. Because damn that's a cool trailer.

Zane C.
02-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Funny, I just picked this up on eBay a while ago. It was just ok, despite the wicked over art. I would spring for a DVD release, though, as it warrants enough interest for a DVD purchase. I wonder if this would be a MOD disc? Who has the rights for this?

Zane C.
02-11-2013, 03:36 PM
OK, so I saw the trailer for this on Colour Correct My Cock the other day and now I'm sort of obsessing over it. I know it got a VHS release, cause you can still find the tape on eBay easily enough. It looks like this:

I'd rather have a DVD than a tape though. Amazon has a very vague listing (http://www.amazon.com/Destroyer-slip-sleeve-Lyle-Alzado/dp/B001GHWHSY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1360591912&sr=8-7&keywords=lyle+alzado+dvd) for one but does it actually exist? I can't find any evidence that it does.

Dig this trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C0DU381gZ0

Looks great, right? Anthony Perkins is in this too, for some reason. It's also up on youtube in parts but that's not as fun. And there are bootleg DVD-Rs around too, but blah.

PM me if you want this, Ian. I'd also be willing to part with the VHS!

Btw: does CCMC ship from Canada? They sound like a Canuck outfit, and I'm pretty sure one of the guys that's behind it used to post over at the Canuxploitation forum, back when they still had one.

Toyboy
02-12-2013, 01:14 AM
I don't know Randy the hippy.

I got the name wrong - it's Randee of the Redwoods. He was a hippie. In THE DESTROYER he's Rewire.

Damin J. Toell
02-12-2013, 10:08 AM
I got the name wrong - it's Randee of the Redwoods. He was a hippie. In THE DESTROYER he's Rewire.

Holy crap, I haven't thought of Randee in forever.

Ian Jane
02-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Oh. I get it now.

Zane, yeah, Vagrant Films are based out of London, Ontario. So I'd imagine if you contacted them they'd ship out of Canada. I got my copy off of Diabolik though.

The trailer rules. I love Lyle Alzado. Even when he has a skullface!

Zane C.
02-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Oh. I get it now.

Zane, yeah, Vagrant Films are based out of London, Ontario. So I'd imagine if you contacted them they'd ship out of Canada. I got my copy off of Diabolik though.

The trailer rules. I love Lyle Alzado. Even when he has a skullface!

Cool, Ian, thanks!

That art is cool! It's too bad the movie doesn't live up to the cool art!

Chris Kewley
02-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Hey Zane:

You’re out west correct?? I believe Vagrant still runs movie fests out in Alberta, Calgary if I'm not mistaken & have heard they also want to bring Shock Stock out to your neck of the woods. If your convention circuit is anything like ours here Shock Stock is a breath of very fresh air, I don't get to the States too often so I can't compare them.

Zane C.
02-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Hey Zane:

You’re out west correct?? I believe Vagrant still runs movie fests out in Alberta, Calgary if I'm not mistaken & have heard they also want to bring Shock Stock out to your neck of the woods. If your convention circuit is anything like ours here Shock Stock is a breath of very fresh air, I don't get to the States too often so I can't compare them.

Hey Chris! Yeah, that would be cool if they came to this neck of the woods! The convention circuit out here is pretty weak. I'd love to one day go to one with some cool guests. I've passed no attending some of the ones that have rolled through because the guest list and convention in general didn't interest me. Hopefully they'll get with the program more.

Toyboy
02-13-2013, 11:33 PM
My dad got to see Lyle Alzado fight Muhammad Ali at Mile High Stadium. He brought me home a Muhammad Ali candy bar.

Here's the thing about Alzado though...

...He lied.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/maxcheddar/Alzado_lied.jpg

Ian Jane
02-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Was it a Muhammad Ali Crisp Crunch made with all natural ingredients?

Toyboy
02-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Yep. Nowhere near as good as a Reggie bar though.

Ian Jane
10-23-2014, 12:25 PM
From FB:

**NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT**

Our "Shocktober" celebration continues with another film to reveal, and this is a rare one: The 1988 prison/slasher film DESTROYER will make its debut on the Blu-ray format in Summer 2015 and will be paired in a double feature with the previously-announced SCARECROWS—another quasi-slasher flick from 1988.

Similar to The Horror Show and Shocker in its execution (pun not intended) DESTROYER sports a pretty wild cast starring former NFL player Lyle Alzado, Deborah Foreman (April Fool’s Day, Waxwork), Clayton Rohner (also from April Fool’s Day, The Relic) and even “Norman Bates” himself, Anthony Perkins!

No other details to report at this time. We still have a few more surprise reveals between now and Halloween so keep checking back here on the page to be the first to see them.

Travis Sheldon
10-23-2014, 03:38 PM
Looking forward to the double feature.
But what's the deal with the cover art with the added electricity and skullface?
Never saw that before the Scream Factory announcement, then I read back a few posts and there it is.
Did they think it looked better than Alzado's out of place cut and paste job head from the original?
Unless I am forgetting him donning the skull mask, I think it totally misrepresents the film.

sukebanboy
10-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Unless I am forgetting him donning the skull mask, I think it totally misrepresents the film.

Not the first time people have been stung for false and misleading cover art!!!

Zane C.
10-23-2014, 08:14 PM
From FB:

**NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT**

Our "Shocktober" celebration continues with another film to reveal, and this is a rare one: The 1988 prison/slasher film DESTROYER will make its debut on the Blu-ray format in Summer 2015 and will be paired in a double feature with the previously-announced SCARECROWS—another quasi-slasher flick from 1988.

Similar to The Horror Show and Shocker in its execution (pun not intended) DESTROYER sports a pretty wild cast starring former NFL player Lyle Alzado, Deborah Foreman (April Fool’s Day, Waxwork), Clayton Rohner (also from April Fool’s Day, The Relic) and even “Norman Bates” himself, Anthony Perkins!

No other details to report at this time. We still have a few more surprise reveals between now and Halloween so keep checking back here on the page to be the first to see them.

People are all up in arms about this being paired up with SCARECROWS. Makes perfect sense to me; alone, this title would not sell as many copies. With SCARECROWS, they're more likely to make more money back to recoup any potential losses associated with THE DESTROYER.

Frankly, I'm just happy to see a dvd release for THE DESTROYER. It's just ok, but worth owning nonetheless. I said this on Facebook as well. Seems I'm one of the only ones finding a silver lining in this cloud!

Ignatius
10-24-2014, 04:03 AM
Now here's a title I never thought would come out on Blu-Ray.

There was a copy of this on VHS at my local video store under the title Shadow of Death with an awesome blood-dripping cover (that I've been unable to find a scan of on the internet) and a big red R18 sticker. Never got the chance to rent it but I finally tracked down a VHS-rip earlier this year. It's no great shakes but you get Deborah Foreman being cute, Alzado going nutzoid, and Anthony Perkins not giving a single fuck. The one major crime it commits is murdering most of the characters off-screen all at once, could they seriously not budget for a couple more gore scenes?

sukebanboy
10-24-2014, 08:15 AM
This one?

http://www.horreur.net/sites/default/files/upload/shadowofdeath-vhs.jpg

Ignatius
10-24-2014, 06:29 PM
This one?

http://www.horreur.net/sites/default/files/upload/shadowofdeath-vhs.jpg

Sadly no, it had the bottom left image from the back cover on the front surrounded with dripping blood. Same image of the doll head on the back though, there's no better way to sell a movie to a 15 year-old than a picture of a decapitated doll head in a jar of blood.

paul h.
10-26-2014, 11:52 AM
I never knew Condoleeza Rice was in any exploitation movies.

Ian Jane
06-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Hysteria Lives put up a piece about this one today.

http://www.hysteria-lives.co.uk/hysterialives/Hysteria/destroyer.html

Ian Jane
12-31-2015, 10:35 AM

bgart13
12-31-2015, 12:24 PM
That's an odd pairing.