PDA

View Full Version : American Juggalo

Ian Jane
03-10-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm not an ICP fan. At all. But this is interesting in a train wreck sort of way.

http://vimeo.com/29589320

MonkeyBeat
03-10-2013, 02:42 PM
The scene where the guy gets his face painted using spray paint is hilarious.

Paul Casey
03-10-2013, 07:38 PM
haha Woop woop. I'm glad I couldn't smell that video.

Johnny Stickman
03-10-2013, 10:43 PM
A great short doc. I'm not one to stand up for trashy subcultures, but still, it's pretty cool to get a glimpse into a world I would never want to wander into. I don't like ICP either, but their fans are interesting in a strange way. I've known to many of them honestly.

Ian Jane
03-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I almost wish that thing had been feature length. I'm never ever going to go to the Gathering of the Juggalos but I appreciate the look into a subculture that I completely admit I do not understand.

Paul Casey
03-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I almost wish that thing had been feature length.

I was thinking that, too, a few minutes in, but I think 20 mins was just about right. I don't know how much more "woop woop" and "fuckin' family" I could've standed. Looks like they got a good representation of the different types of attendees. I'm sure the interviews on the cutting room floor aren't very interesting. Also, I was getting sick of the nude girls that looked like they stumbled out of Browning's Freaks.

sukebanboy
03-11-2013, 11:06 AM
t I appreciate the look into a subculture that I completely admit I do not understand.

My thoughts exactly......I also think that the doc would have been alright stretched to about 40 mins or 1 hour...no longer than that though!

Guess they didn't even have enough good stuff to last 30 mins....Bits they left out must have been terrible!

Ian Jane
03-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Valid points. I'd suspect that a lot of what wound up on the cutting room floor was likely interviewees too out of it to have much to say. And Paul, you're right, the whoop whoop gets old fast.

sukebanboy
03-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Haha...gotta love the WOOP WOOP!!!

MonkeyBeat
03-11-2013, 03:56 PM
I think doing a longer doc just on the gathering and/or juggalos would be difficult to sit thru. However, someone should do a feature doc on the FBI classifying juggalos as a gang (http://www.slate.com/blogs/trending/2012/09/26/insane_clown_posse_gang_fbi_names_juggalos_a_gang_ .html) and the upcoming lawsuit against it by icp.

Torstein Karlsen
03-17-2013, 05:33 PM
You should also check out A Family Underground, which is a full length documentary about the annual Gathering of the Juggalos.

... Whoop Whoop.

Paul L
03-17-2013, 06:24 PM
You should also check out A Family Underground, which is a full length documentary about the annual Gathering of the Juggalos
I feel like an out of touch old fart with my head buried firmly in the sand, but this is a subculture I knew nothing about until Ian posted that short documentary. I see A FAMILY UNDERGROUND is on Youtube. I may watch it out of curiosity. Thanks for the tip, Torstein.

Looking at the Wikipedia entry on 'juggalos' (my anthropological curiosity knows no bounds), it reads like some kind of joke. Apparently they show delight in

Expressing a (generally) tongue-in-cheek obsession with murder, committed with a blade weapon
How droll :biggrin:

Ian Jane
12-02-2013, 03:33 PM
"Whoop Dreams is a feature-length documentary about strangers in a strange world. Members of the Filmdrunk.com podcast (aka The Frotcast) raised funds to travel from California to Cave-In-Rock, IL to experience a music festival unlike any other. Each year, thousands of Psychopathic Records fans, calling themselves "Juggalos", congregate at the southeastern Illinois town in a private park with no interference from local authorities. They call it... The Gathering of the Juggalos.

http://vimeo.com/80686792#at=0

More here. (http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2013/12/whoop-dreams-trailer-gathering-juggalos-documentary-filmdrunk-frotcast)

I am intrigued.

sukebanboy
12-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Lol...you can color me intrigues now too:biggrin:

Dick Ringeisen
12-03-2013, 09:43 AM
I skimmed through the first vid here, and just did much the same for the last.

What it reminded me of, were a few things. I once saw a person's vehicle who had a "Hatchet man" decal on their vehicle. It was a person who was a friend of someone I knew. Anyway, I just asked, since I had seen it before, "What's that from?". the response I got was, "Man, if you don't what it is, you're never going to know what it is".

I rolled my eyes. I guess I'm not, "Cool".

That's what ICP and such also reminds me of, something associated with the word, "COOL", from... wow, coming up on 14 years now. An episode of Frontline titled, "Merchants of Cool". It focuses on marketing, and especially on how things are marketed to teenagers and such. Some time is spent with the ICP fans, and hearing them tell the reporter, "THE MAINSTREAM WILL NEVER PICK-UP ICP FOR ANYTHING! TOO HARDCORE!" etc. Anyway, at the end of the documentary, ti talks about how the band had then started branching out into other things, including wrestling show appearances.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/

So, when I see stuff about ICP, that's what comes to mind for me, the frontline episode "Merchants of Cool", and my experience with asking someone what the hatchetman logo was that left me rolling my eyes.

Zane C.
12-03-2013, 10:23 AM
I skimmed through the first vid here, and just did much the same for the last.

What it reminded me of, were a few things. I once saw a person's vehicle who had a "Hatchet man" decal on their vehicle. It was a person who was a friend of someone I knew. Anyway, I just asked, since I had seen it before, "What's that from?". the response I got was, "Man, if you don't what it is, you're never going to know what it is".

I rolled my eyes. I guess I'm not, "Cool".

That's what ICP and such also reminds me of, something associated with the word, "COOL", from... wow, coming up on 14 years now. An episode of Frontline titled, "Merchants of Cool". It focuses on marketing, and especially on how things are marketed to teenagers and such. Some time is spent with the ICP fans, and hearing them tell the reporter, "THE MAINSTREAM WILL NEVER PICK-UP ICP FOR ANYTHING! TOO HARDCORE!" etc. Anyway, at the end of the documentary, ti talks about how the band had then started branching out into other things, including wrestling show appearances.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/

So, when I see stuff about ICP, that's what comes to mind for me, the frontline episode "Merchants of Cool", and my experience with asking someone what the hatchetman logo was that left me rolling my eyes.

I have a hard time believing ICP will ever be "cool" in terms of anything. I've always thought the band tried too hard, and its fans took too much meaning from the rantings of a couple of twits with minimal talent. Their "music" is negligible, and they seem obsessed with their image, which is ridiculous. I mean, who walks around with their face painted on a regular basis, save for people going to a KISS concert or a sporting event? Oh yeah, "Juggalos". Then, when people give them a bad time about it, they're all, "people don't understand us". Whatever!

Scott
12-03-2013, 02:58 PM
There's nothing to understand, they are considered a joke, their music is crap. But yeah, they tapped into that 13 year old mindset and marketed the shit out of it. It's one of those things where you just got to shake your head.

Zane C.
12-03-2013, 06:11 PM
There's nothing to understand, they are considered a joke, their music is crap. But yeah, they tapped into that 13 year old mindset and marketed the shit out of it. It's one of those things where you just got to shake your head.

Oh, I know. They just milk that "no one understands us" way of thinking, and then wonder why people look at them like they're morons. And I DO shake my head. :)

Not a chance I would spend a dime on their crappy music, merch, or anything else related to their nonsense fandom. Seeing snippets of those docs and hearing their music previously was enough to make me tune out. What a bunch of clowns (pun intended!)!

sukebanboy
12-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Oh yes...i DO shake my head at them too...and their notions that anyone against them "doesnt get it"!!!!

Thats why I look forward to this documentry..i hope it is done WERNER HERZOG style...where the people in it show THEMSELVES up with their behaviour and opinions....

Roderick
02-12-2014, 12:32 AM
http://youtu.be/pMn4LCnfeJE

Scott
02-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Drugs.

Ian Jane
05-13-2014, 01:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23wgbh5KPBs

Johnny Stickman
05-17-2014, 09:58 PM
"I don't need no brain, don't need anythang, I just want somebody to smoke with. Who said that? Who said that?"

Homies 2 Smoke With is a favorite despite being extremely dumb, but there lies its appeal for me.

Alex K.
05-17-2014, 10:39 PM
I just don't get it.