PDA

View Full Version : Fearless Vampire killers/Dance of the Vampires blu-ray

Lalala76
03-13-2013, 05:57 AM
For those of you are interest Polanski's Fearless vampire Killers has been given a blu-ray release date (At this time France only with the title Le Bal des vampires) of June 12th. Information has been updated on blu-ray.com.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Fearless-Vampire-Killers-Blu-ray/65300/

Can be pre-ordered on Amazon.fr under the french title.

Ian Jane
03-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Once audio and subtitle options are confirmed, I might have to bite on this.

Get it? Bite? Ha!

s.chivers
03-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Lovely. I saw this at the BFI recently, and while it may not be top tier Polanski, it's one of my personal favourites.

Lalala76
03-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Its one of the most atmospheric vampire films ever, but also very misunderstood. Imo it has the perfect balance of humour and gothicness that I love. Its my favourite vampire film. The soundtrack is amazing as well. I deserves a worldwide bd release and Im sure it will eventually, although the Warners dvd is up to scratch. But you all know this!!!

Koukol
03-13-2013, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=Lalala76;55838]...although the Warners dvd is up to scratch. [/QUOTE

The download I have which is only 550p looks a lot better than the old DVD.
The makeup really stands out more (among other things)
I can't wait for 1080p!

And I agree on the soundtrack...Komeda is in league with Morriconne, Rota and Popol Vuh.
Since FVK is my favorite film I would say it's top tier Polanski.

Stephen
03-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Since FVK is my favorite film I would say it's top tier Polanski.

True, I would say it's his most famous film over here in Germany (I guess in most of Europe), in the US however it is only known to some film buffs.

Koukol
03-13-2013, 07:39 PM
True, I would say it's his most famous film over here in Germany (I guess in most of Europe), in the US however it is only known to some film buffs.

Yes, Polanski said it's the film he's most known for in Europe partly due to the successful play.

Lalala76
06-30-2013, 05:37 AM
Just noticed this on Blu-ray.com

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Fearless-Vampire-Killers-Blu-ray/75217/

A possible US release maybe? It wasn't there before.

bgart13
06-30-2013, 01:51 PM
I think anyone can add listings at Blu-ray.com, so I'll believe it when WB announces it. :)

Richard--W
07-02-2013, 07:59 AM
Love this film. I'm hopeful Twilight Time will release it soon.

Travis Sheldon
07-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Love this film. I'm hopeful Twilight Time will release it soon.

I'm hopeful they don't, because I'd like to own a nice Blu of this film.

Lalala76
07-02-2013, 11:23 AM
If all else fails there is the French edition which was put back until later this year. I have a funny feeling though that there will be ingrained subtitles. Looks a nice package though, but it will obviously all be in French.

Richard--W
07-02-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm hopeful they don't, because I'd like to own a nice Blu of this film.

... or Criterion.

Which Twilight Time blu-rays disappointed you?

I bought a few Twilight Times blu's that offer outstanding transfers.

Horace Cordier
07-02-2013, 12:06 PM
I like Twilight Time. Aside from the whole NOTLD 1990 dust-up I've been pleased with all their transfers.

Derrick King
07-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Like bgart13 mentions, Warner Brothers owns this, so a Twilight Time release isn't happening. Pretty sure the Warner Archives folks said on facebook that this will likely get a regular Blu-ray release from Warner Brothers and not a limited release from the Archives.

Travis Sheldon
07-02-2013, 08:24 PM
... or Criterion.

Which Twilight Time blu-rays disappointed you?

I bought a few Twilight Times blu's that offer outstanding transfers.

I don't like their business model and won't support them.

Richard--W
07-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Twilight Time's "business model" is bullshit. I respect your decision to not support them. Nick Redman must have similar taste because he zeroes in on films that are particularly important to me -- The Big Heat, Pal Joey, Major Dundee, Hard Times, etc. I would rather some other company do the job, but my conflict is that the only way to see certain films on blu-ray is to spend the money regardless of who the distributor is. I'm more strict with myself in moral and political matters; I won't support Scientology-financed films starring Scientologists, for example, having suffered a protracted encounter with those f'ing maniacs. They're gangsters who do tangible injury to naive and gullible people. That means I don't buy tickets to Tom Cruise or John Revolta films, nor do I buy their videos. I made an exception in the case of Eyes Wide Shut because it's a Stanley Kubrick film, although I feel guilty about it because Cruise's income from that film, as with all his films, is channeled back into his "church" front. That's why I bought the blu-ray used; my money doesn't get back to him if it's second-hand.

Horace Cordier
07-03-2013, 12:26 AM
I separate art from artists. Just bought Mel Gibson's PAYBACK last week. It's a fine film. Ditto for JACK REACHER.

As for Twilight Time's business model, I have no problem with it. Not every catalog title can retail at 10 bucks. And their transfers are generally good. If anything their prices make you really have to decide whether you truly like a film or not. Discourages the "it's 10 bucks what the hell" syndrome where you wake up and go "How the hell did PERFECT STRANGER wind up in my collection?".

I'll be preordering Walter Hill's THE DRIVER tomorrow.

Lalala76
07-03-2013, 05:16 AM
Hope Warners get their act together soon. I can only ever envisage a "barebones" release ever coming out in the uk, unlike the French release. So Im hoping that someone does a decent special edition somewhere in the world and make it multiregional. and not in French.

Travis Sheldon
07-03-2013, 06:12 AM
Twilight Time remind me of Ticketmaster, I have to get up at a specific time to queue and hopefully have my order go through for this limited product.
So if you miss out on pre-order, in cases like NotLD90 or Fright Night, you get the chance to line the pockets of "collectors" who purchased 15 copies and are willing to sell for 10 times original price.
Only if you miss getting tickets through ticketmaster, you could at least travel to another city/state to see the show you want. In the case of a blu-ray, you'll have to hope another region offers the same film using the same elements, or else wait for TT's license to end.
Of course, that's the free market at work.
It's also false and crap, but JMHO (Just My Humble Opionion).
Still sticking to DVDs in the case of Fright Night, NotLD90 (At least it's color timed correctly!), Christine, etc...

Horace Cordier
07-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Twilight Time remind me of Ticketmaster, I have to get up at a specific time to queue and hopefully have my order go through for this limited product.
So if you miss out on pre-order, in cases like NotLD90 or Fright Night, you get the chance to line the pockets of "collectors" who purchased 15 copies and are willing to sell for 10 times original price.
Only if you miss getting tickets through ticketmaster, you could at least travel to another city/state to see the show you want. In the case of a blu-ray, you'll have to hope another region offers the same film using the same elements, or else wait for TT's license to end.
Of course, that's the free market at work.
It's also false and crap, but JMHO (Just My Humble Opionion).
Still sticking to DVDs in the case of Fright Night, NotLD90 (At least it's color timed correctly!), Christine, etc...

FRIGHT NIGHT took months to sell out. NOTLD 90 was available on preorder for weeks. Only CHRISTINE sold out super fast - and even there you had a day. Beyond those few titles, the stuff is overwhelmingly still available. Compared to what Synapse pulled with the DEMONS titles they are saints.

Anyway - this is a FVK thread so I'll stop. Warners generally do nice transfers but often they are bare bones. I'd like to see an SE for this by I'll settle for just a good looking transfer.

Travis Sheldon
07-03-2013, 10:14 AM
FRIGHT NIGHT took months to sell out. NOTLD 90 was available on preorder for weeks. Only CHRISTINE sold out super fast - and even there you had a day. Beyond those few titles, the stuff is overwhelmingly still available. Compared to what Synapse pulled with the DEMONS titles they are saints.

Anyway - this is a FVK thread so I'll stop. Warners generally do nice transfers but often they are bare bones. I'd like to see an SE for this by I'll settle for just a good looking transfer.

Horace, I'm just being a grouchy old man because I pine for the days of being able to go into a shop and find the titles I want on the shelf.
As for FVK, it's one of my favorite films and I would love to see that beautiful snowy countryside in all it's glory.
Much like in later films, Horror Express or The Thing, the snowy setting adds so much atmosphere to the isolation.
Sharon Tate is so gorgeous in this.
For me, the blend of horror and comedy is very tricky. So many things can go wrong and take me out of a film with those elements combined, but if it's done right, like in FVK, I can get lost.

Koukol
07-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Well, I've got the French BD on order but I won't know for sure if the subs are removable until Christmas as my girlfriend knows how important this film is for me and will make me wait.

Lalala76
07-05-2013, 04:11 PM
This looks like the artwork and cover for the bd/dvd French edition

Lalala76
08-27-2013, 06:59 AM
Looks like Warners have put the French version release back to November now. For anyone that was tempted by this release.

Ian Jane
09-12-2013, 09:22 AM
Damn, this looks really, really nice.

Lalala76
09-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Why oh why does this have to be French? Man, that looks great. I have still got this on pre-order, but desperately need to find out if there are forced subs, as its quite pricey.

rushmore
09-12-2013, 10:01 PM
One of my favorite movies. Hope we see that French version for US release. Sweet.

Lalala76
10-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Interesting. The French release Blu-ray has been put back again, now to be released December. I think that's the fourth time release date has been moved.

Richard--W
12-20-2013, 06:27 PM
The French blu is in stock and shipping:

http://www.amazon.fr/Bal-vampires-Blu-ray-Jack-MacGowran/dp/B00BSVSSPO/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1387578225&sr=1-1&keywords=les+bal+de+vampires

bgart13
12-21-2013, 01:41 AM
Reports in the French forum at blu-ray.com are very negative for this. One even says it looks no better than the dvd.

Lalala76
12-21-2013, 02:36 AM
Reports in the French forum at blu-ray.com are very negative for this. One even says it looks no better than the dvd.

I'm glad I cancelled my pre-order the other day. Worth noting as well, that it has forced subtitles.

Clive Smith
12-21-2013, 05:46 AM
It's a major title, so I'm sure it'll be out in other territories soon enough.

Eric Allen
12-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Crap. My order shipped the other day before I saw this. Guess I'll do a head-to-head with the DVD for fun.

Lalala76
01-17-2014, 01:40 PM
I'm hearing reports that the French subs may be able to be switched off. If you play the French audio option then use the remote to revert to English lang, rather than play the English version. It may, however depend on the player. I have seen a youtube clip that demonstrates this.

Ian Jane
06-15-2015, 10:18 AM
Looks like there's a Spanish Blu-ray out, according to a post on FB - seems like it's got Eng. audio without the forced subs that are on the French Blu.

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11426168_10155668550470375_2048772690441225272_n.j pg?oh=1fd6854b348fc014b5c354c665cbc747&oe=562BCAA5

Lalala76
06-16-2015, 07:05 AM
The Spanish blu arrived this morning. Not had chance to check it out. Will be able to confirm about subs etc sometime soon.

Edit: Just had a quick look. This is indeed a BD-R as expected. The transfer is pretty much the slightly underwhelming existing transfer as expected also, considering this is either a direct rip from the blu, or the hd transfer that's online. The Key thing though is that the subs are Indeed removeable. So its a job done until Warners decide to do this one proper.

Ian Jane
09-18-2019, 02:17 PM
Coming from Warner Archive next month.

NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTER!

THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS…or PARDON ME, BUT YOUR TEETH ARE IN MY NECK (1967)

Run Time 107:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 2.35:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Vintage Making of Featurette "The Fearless Vampire Killers: Vampires 101; Alternate Animated Title Sequence; Theatrical Trailer (HD)

It’s the living end, a fancy-dress ball for blood fiends in Count Von Krolock’s Transylvanian castle. Surely no mortal would be foolish enough to infiltrate this hemogobbling horror of a soiree. But partygoers notice something in the ballroom mirrors: the reflections of humans – vampire killers – dancing among them. Director/cowriter Roman Polanski (The Pianist, Rosemary’s Baby, Chinatown) spoofs vampire movies with this droll balancing act of shocks and laughs. He also portrays Alfred, mousy apprentice to a doddering researcher of vampirism (Jack MacGowran)...and the lovestruck defender of gorgeous Sarah (Sharon Tate) when the Count (Ferdy Mayne) tries to make her the ghoul of his dreams. It’s all fang-tastic fun!