PDA

View Full Version : Rape-revenge movies with male victims?

Jens Thomsen
04-02-2013, 06:39 AM
I am working on something on the rape-revenge genre and was wondering if there are any movies where the victim is male? The only one I can think of is Deliverance, but I probably only have seen the more mainstream and well-known titles, so it's quite possible I am over-looking something.

Robin Bougie
04-02-2013, 08:07 AM
There are lots of male-on-male rape scenes (Pulp Fiction, Deliverance, American History X, etc) but more rare than that is the female-on-male rape scene. I did an article in Cinema Sewer book 1 about female-on-male rape. The films I cited as examples were:

Disclosure (1994)
The Rookie (1990)
Thursday (1998)
Screwball Hotel (1988)
It Couldn't Happen To a Nicer guy (1974)
Envy (1999)
Myra Brekinridge (1970 My personal fave female-on-male rape scene)
and an episode of the sitcom Too Close For Comfort where Monroe is raped by two fat women in a van.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-gw2_SCjtk

Rape-revenge, however -- I dunno! Can't think of any.

Barry M
04-02-2013, 08:20 AM
FATHER'S DAY http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1727261

Alex K.
04-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Vulgar: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120467/

Alison Jane
04-02-2013, 08:44 AM
There's a neat scene in Mysterious Skin...

Paul L
04-02-2013, 02:04 PM
DELIVERANCE is the biggie, I suppose.

The 1970s TV movie THE RAPE OF RICHARD BECK, with Richard Crenna as a male victim of rape, is an exceptional movie, for my money.

However, probably more up your street is Mike Hodges' I'LL SLEEP WHEN I'M DEAD, in which Clive Owen plays a retired gangland hitter who returns to London to seek revenge for his brother, who was raped the night he died.

Paul L
04-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Didn't Danny Fackin' Dyer's character get raped in STRAIGHTHEADS, or am I misremembering?

Horace Cordier
04-02-2013, 02:18 PM
DELIVERANCE is the biggie, I suppose.

The 1970s TV movie THE RAPE OF RICHARD BECK, with Richard Crenna as a male victim of rape, is an exceptional movie, for my money.

This is a severely underrated little gem with a terrifically nuanced and sensitive performance by Crenna.

It's original title (which was perfect because it actually gives an idea of what this unusual film is about) was changed to the ridiculously generic DEADLY JUSTICE for its DVD release but it is available at Amazon from some sellers cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NO23SK/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1364926202&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Written by a man but directed by a woman I highly recommend this one. Along with his excellent turn in the 70's TV movie about THE HILLSIDE STRANGLERS this is a highlight of Crenna's telefilm work. Look for freaky "Don't Answer The Phone" Nicolas Worth as one of the male rapists!

Jens Thomsen
04-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Very cool! Thanks, guys! I knew I could trust the R!S!P! crowd to come up with some of the more rare and obscure titles. :up:

Alison Jane
04-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Also American History X...

Chris Kewley
04-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Satan's Children if I recall

Jimmy Simard
04-04-2013, 03:56 PM
You are right on that one Chris.

Toyboy
04-05-2013, 08:09 AM
SATAN'S CHILDREN is a good example. You could argue that BLUE VELVET could fit the bill as well although Jeffrey doesn't so much enact revenge as stand on the sidelines as Frank's world falls apart. Plus, Jeffrey's rape isn't the central focus of the plot. It's there in order for him to connect more with Dorothy's plight.

IN A GLASS CAGE? Very drawn out revenge.

Alex K.
04-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Was Jeffrey raped in Blue Velvet? I was under the impression he just had the shit beaten out of him by Frank after being kissed. If he was raped he's never shown to be dealing with it and I'm pretty sure Lynch would go a ways into showing that if he was raped.

Toyboy
04-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Was Jeffrey raped in Blue Velvet? I was under the impression he just had the shit beaten out of him by Frank after being kissed. If he was raped he's never shown to be dealing with it and I'm pretty sure Lynch would go a ways into showing that if he was raped.

Tim Lucas goes a long way in saying that he does get raped off screen way back in that VW BLUE VELVET piece he did. I haven't watched the deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray to see if it's there but I recall there being a description of a shot of Jeffrey with no pants waking up in a field the next morning. The implication also comes from Frank's statement of fucking anything that moves before they leave and then in the car, with someone saying that Jeffrey is their "pussy". Lucas goes on to say that Jeffrey is smeared with lipstick and his ear is pierced in either the script or in a cut shot, also giving a sense of him having been "feminized" thru sexual assault.

I'll dig up that issue.

Ian Jane
04-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Doesn't the dude in Calvaire get raped? Or am I remembering that wrong...?

Alex K.
04-05-2013, 09:14 AM
It's been a while since I've seen Calvaire but I don't remember the guy getting raped.

Toyboy
04-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Doesn't the dude in Calvaire get raped? Or am I remembering that wrong...?

Oh, I think you're correct. It's during that spiraling bird's eye view shot where things just go crazy, right?

Does he get revenge though, or does he simply escape?

Toyboy
04-05-2013, 09:17 AM
In W...IS WAR! the main character is castrated then gets revenge.

Doesn't E.T. rape Elliot?

Alex K.
04-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Tim Lucas goes a long way in saying that he does get raped off screen way back in that VW BLUE VELVET piece he did. I haven't watched the deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray to see if it's there but I recall there being a description of a shot of Jeffrey with no pants waking up in a field the next morning. The implication also comes from Frank's statement of fucking anything that moves before they leave and then in the car, with someone saying that Jeffrey is their "pussy". Lucas goes on to say that Jeffrey is smeared with lipstick and his ear is pierced in either the script or in a cut shot, also giving a sense of him having been "feminized" thru sexual assault.

I'll dig up that issue.

I'm going to have to watch the deleted scenes again. Because if Jeffrey was raped it was handled poorly. After meeting Frank he seemed more depressed and bitter at the state of the world that someone like Frank exists rather than him being raped.

Toyboy
04-05-2013, 09:38 AM
I'm going to have to watch the deleted scenes again. Because if Jeffrey was raped it was handled poorly. After meeting Frank he seemed more depressed and bitter at the state of the world that someone like Frank exists rather than him being raped.

Without having read the article in years I'll just go off memory and say that implications that Jeffrey was raped were either not filmed or cut at the producer's request. However, for me, once I read that in that VW it's always been my take that he's raped. I think that it works in the character's development because early in the film Jeffrey is alternately aroused and disgusted by what he witnesses happening to Dorothy. Once he hits her he begins to become more like Frank.

After the car ride however, Jeffrey completely loses his voyeuristic connection with Frank and fully empathizes with the victim. I don't think that just being beat up would be enough for him to make that mental disconnect.

EDIT: not sure why this didn't dawn on me earlier but Jeffrey is more or less raped by Dorothy, seeing as how he's forced to strip and attempt to have sex at knife point. It's a complicated scene but that is what is happening there in spite of him becoming a willing participant later on.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o606/rockatansky1/blue_velvet_screen_2_zps9b7e1564.jpg

John Lyons
04-05-2013, 04:59 PM
There's a Law & Order SVU episide in which a male stripper is gang raped by a group of women.

Toyboy
04-05-2013, 11:33 PM
That's a special victim indeed. Was he wearing a bear mask?

Okay - so that VW BLUE VELVET piece was written by Bret Wood, not Lucas. In it he goes over many of the changes from script to film - these are excerpts from that section pertaining to Jeffrey's rape...

- (Jeffrey) wakes up with his pants down and "Fuck You" written on his legs with lipstick, indicating that he has been raped.

- Jeffrey's sexual violation by Frank is foreshadowed in the script by Dorothy's warning that Frank will "open" him

- ...a later (cut) scene features Jeffrey telling Sandy that "I can't dance fast."

- Frank...intimidates Jeffrey by saying he knows where his "cute little butt is hiding"

Dom D
04-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Thursday (1998). It's one of those post Pulp Fiction Tarantino wannabes. I recall there's a scene in there where Thomas Jane gets tied to a chair and raped by a very sexy brunette in red latex who is going to blow his brains out when he comes. Forget how it pans out but I do believe he got to keep his brains.

Toyboy
04-07-2013, 12:53 PM
What's the movie in which Geddy Lee rapes Ian Jane with a hose? HOSERZ?

Roderick
04-07-2013, 01:09 PM
What's the movie in which Geddy Lee rapes Ian Jane with a hose? HOSERZ?

Correct. And it also happens again in the sequel, HOSERZ 2: The Next Spray

Barry M
04-07-2013, 01:18 PM
I liked it when Geddy threw out the first ball. Graphic.