PDA

View Full Version : Comic books I am reading...

Pages : [1] 2

MCS
01-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Oh I am quite the reader...

THE WALKING DEAD - Image - been a reader since 2005
NEONOMICON - Avatar - my goodness do I love this SICK, CRAZY, HP Lovecraft worshiping book!
MORNING GLORIES - Image
NEMESIS - Icon
KICK ASS 2 - Icon
NEW AVENGERS - Marvel
almost every BATMAN title - DC
SUPERIOR - Icon
HELLBAZER - DC/Vertigo

Ian Jane
01-13-2011, 05:18 PM
I was sooo into Walking Dead for the first 35 or so issues, got sidetracked, missed a bunch, and never came back to it.

I always kinda preferred Deadworld in a way though. I'm a sucker for Locke's art I guess. And those painted covers, some by O'Barr, were pretty great.

Ah.... Caliber in the 80s.

Todd Jordan
01-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Deadworld was awesome. I only got the first 8 or so issues and I loved them. And the alternate covers too. I think that was the first I'd seen of those. I never read the Caliber ones, just hte original Arrow books. I wish I'd kept them. I only kept Gore Shriek I think.

Ian Jane
01-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Arrow did, what, the first half dozen issues? I think Caliber bought them out.

Goldberg
01-20-2011, 07:47 PM
I just read the odd Manga these days. I got right into MPD PSYCHO and then it got cancelled at issue 9 which was a bummer and it was totally wild and crazy, way better than the Takishi Miike TV series.

Just picked up 6 BILLION NEEDLES, it's only 4 issue long, hopefully it doesn't disappear.

Toyboy
02-14-2011, 02:06 PM
I've been re-reading ELEKTRA:ASSASSIN. I don't think we'll ever see Marvel publish something that visually inventive and exciting again. Sienkienwicz went nuts on that book, mixing so many styles. It doesn't always make for a smooth read but its never boring. There was so much great stuff coming from the Epic imprint then I really wish Marvel would pull back on the endless Wolverine and Thor books their flooding the shelves with and get back to putting out interesting comics.

Ian Jane
02-14-2011, 02:11 PM
I met Sienkienwicz at a convention in Toronto years ago. A friend of mine asked him to sign his 1st issue of Elektra: Assassin and to draw a sai next to the signature. Sienkienwicz then proceeded to draw the dumbest looking squiggly ass sai you've ever seen across the cover in big silver sharpie ink. It looked bad.

True story.

Toyboy
02-14-2011, 02:16 PM
You said it looked like a penis, right? Apparently he's becoming notorious for that...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/11/18/bill-sienkiewicz-and-the-troll/

Ian Jane
02-14-2011, 02:40 PM
That's just plain weird, and yeah, the sai he drew had a cock like vibe to it.

Ian Jane
02-14-2011, 05:03 PM
In a strange twist of fate, I just realized he's gonna be at the NYC Con (http://www.nycbm.com/) on Sat.

chad
07-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Zeke Deadwood: Zombie Lawman

The art is fucking great!

Criminal: The Last Of The Innocent by Ed Brubaker

It's a terrific neo-noir comic with some terrific Archie moments

Newt Cox
09-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Ninjak Volume 1 #0,00,1,2,8,10,18

Been re-reading my collection of Valiant universe comics. This was a title about a British ninja that worked for a secret UK government agency. Ninjak had a interesting archvillain,Dr Silk. Who was a genius who was like Stephen Hawkings in that he was stuck in a wheelchair and had all kinds of medical problems. One drawback to the series is it seems Valiant had trouble keeping a steady artist on the title. The first few issues had early Joe Quesada artwork,which was good but looked almost nothing like his later artwork. And it seems that Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning were the only writers that stayed on the title for more than 2 or 3 issues. For a mid 90s indy superhero title it is a ok read. But it never reaches it full pontential.

Newt Cox
09-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Just read my small collection of Secret Weapons issues. And the Magnus robot fighter/Nexus 2 issue mini. I love the painted looking art in the Magnus/Nexus series.

chad
09-28-2011, 03:13 PM
I need to hit up Lone Star and pick up the last issue of this Criminal mini and cancel all my subscriptions, I can't rightly justify buying issues every month when I can wait like 6 months and buy a trade paperback

Newt Cox
09-29-2011, 07:19 AM
Read Bloodshot volume 1 issues 0-7 today. I love this series. Gonna read more of it before I go to bed.

Robin Bougie
09-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Today was new comic wednesday (which I NEVER miss), and I picked up:

Pope Hats #2
http://www.adhousebooks.com/comics/popehats2.html

Kick Ass (vol2) #4
http://marvel.com/comic_books/issue/36534/kick-ass_2_2010_4

Pure Pajamas (by Marc Bell)
http://marcbelldept.blogspot.com/2011/04/ignore-that-ugly-ol-thing-on-amazon.html

Read them already, and all three were great. Pope Hats #2 was probably the stand out this week, though.

Newt Cox
10-08-2011, 03:28 AM
Got in my comic book trade order today and sat down and read the following.

Bone Tall Tales-Great follow up to Bone. I loved the short stories about Big Johnson Bone.

It tolls for thee-Never heard of this book before. But I needed to spend 3 more bucks to get free shipping. It is a zombie comic set back in the dark ages. The art is worth the 2 bucks I spent. Plus I like how it was horizontally formatted.

The Walking Dead Volume 11-I love this book. But hate how these volumes that reprint 6 issues takes me usually 15 minutes to read. Thankfully I get a great discount.

Fables volume 7-This is my current favorite Vertigo series. And the addition of the Arabian fables to the series is a nice touch.

Newt Cox
10-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Almost finished with Essential Defenders Volume 6. I love how wacky and weird the Defenders title was.

Toyboy
10-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Took down Rick Veitch's Maximortal this week - what a trippy book. It's like an early 70's underground comic about Superman & his creators, and Albert Einstein, the A-bomb and David Niven...with a hat full of magic doo-doo. Amazing.

Newt Cox
10-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Took down Rick Veitch's Maximortal this week - what a trippy book. It's like an early 70's underground comic about Superman & his creators, and Albert Einstein, the A-bomb and David Niven...with a hat full of magic doo-doo. Amazing.

I love that series and most of Veitch's work.

Robin Bougie
10-17-2011, 02:47 AM
Read the latest Jim Woodring book today. Fucking great, as usual. It's this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOzz4SgJXCk

Woodring is brilliant. One of the greatest living comic artists, in my opinion. I was lucky enough to get to go to dinner with him once (he's a fan of my wife's comics) and it was certainly a highlight of that year.

Ian Jane
10-18-2011, 11:37 AM
My boss just gave me a copy of Astonishing X-Men #1. I'm not sure why he had it but he did, he told me he got it at a haunted house in Manhattan he went to over the weekend. I haven't picked up an X-Men comic in a decade, I'll probably have no idea what's going on.

Gary Banks
11-07-2011, 09:58 PM
I've been picking up scads of X-Men trade paperbacks and hardcovers at remainder sales. Great reading for about a third of the cover price.

Toyboy
11-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Just picked up the following from the library. Free books!

The Cardboard Valise - Ben Katchor
The Adventures of Red Sonja - Roy Thomas, Bruce Jones, and Frank motherfuggin' Thorne
Pure Pajamas - Marc Bell
The Years Have Pants - Eddie Campbell

Randy G
11-29-2011, 08:08 PM
The Savage Sword of Conan Vol 1 TPB - Loved this as a kid and the artwork, particularly by Barry Windsor-Smith, is often great but the Roy Thomas stories are no where near Howard's originals and are often embarrassingly wooden adolescent and sexist in a way that doesn't feel true to the primitive but vivid, grim and romantic Howard originals. Still, can't go wrong with Red Nails or The Frost Giant's Daughter.

Dave Starry
11-30-2011, 01:33 PM
The Savage Sword of Conan Vol 1 TPB

This book is on my nightstand as well. I read the majority of it during the summer, but then got bogged down and didn't finish. Chock full of 70s pulp fun though.

Newt Cox
12-02-2011, 10:44 AM
This book is on my nightstand as well. I read the majority of it during the summer, but then got bogged down and didn't finish. Chock full of 70s pulp fun though.

I have worked my way thru the first 3 volumes of that series and love it.

Robin Bougie
12-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Got it too. Sadly, found 4 panels of near nudity that were censored -- and there are probably more. Not even nudity, NEAR nudity. Drew clothes right on top of the original drawings where a little too much thigh and side-boob were showing. Totally uncool, Dark Horse.

Ian Jane
12-02-2011, 12:00 PM
What? Seriously????

Alex K.
12-02-2011, 12:20 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Aliens-Omnibus-Vol-Mark-Verheiden/dp/1593077270

Brilliant stuff!

Robin Bougie
12-02-2011, 12:46 PM
What? Seriously????

Ok, the most nudity you get is a little bit of ass crack, that is it. One little black line. Here, I put this together for you guys to see how its been messed with:

http://i.imgur.com/Q2Wir.jpg

Dave Starry
12-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Got it too. Sadly, found 4 panels of near nudity that were censored -- and there are probably more. Not even nudity, NEAR nudity. Drew clothes right on top of the original drawings where a little too much thigh and side-boob were showing. Totally uncool, Dark Horse.

Totally not cool. I had read about Marvel doing this with some of their Essential titles, but didn't realize Dark Horse were doing it too. There's a good article that I read a while back covering this here...

http://groovyageofhorror.blogspot.com/2006/09/censored-essentials.html

Ian Jane
12-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Very strange. It wouldn't surprise me to see Marvel do it (as they obviously did) but it DOES surprise me that Dark Horse did.

As an ass man, I find this unacceptable!

Dave Starry
12-02-2011, 02:11 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Aliens-Omnibus-Vol-Mark-Verheiden/dp/1593077270

Brilliant stuff!

I collected many issues of the original run of this comic back in the late 80s, but sold them off years ago. Pretty good stories extending from the film franchise as I recall. Interesting review there on Amazon talking about how this reprint has apparently been edited/altered from the original.

Ian Jane
12-02-2011, 03:04 PM
I have originals of the six black and white issues kicking around here somehwere. Mark Nelson's line work was killer in those.

Alex K.
12-02-2011, 11:57 PM
The Aliens comics were altered very slightly in that the names Hicks and Newt were changed to Wilks and Billy years later to not upset the continuity of the Alien films. The 2nd series (also in the TPB) has some of the best Airbrushed art I've ever seen in a comic.

Ian Jane
12-03-2011, 11:40 AM
The Aliens comics were altered very slightly in that the names Hicks and Newt were changed to Wilks and Billy years later to not upset the continuity of the Alien films. The 2nd series (also in the TPB) has some of the best Airbrushed art I've ever seen in a comic.

Yeah, I have that one too - it was four issues, right? The early Aliens comics from DH were great.

So I got an explantion re: the Conan stuff from a friend of mine who works as an editor at Dark Horse - I just want his permission to post it before I do so (I'm sure he won't mind but I still want to ask first!). He's on the west coast so he's probably still asleep.

Roderick
12-03-2011, 12:01 PM
In addition to the butt blocking, what's up with the adding of dialogue, and reformatting of the panel size and word balloons in Robin's examples? The loss of detail in the reproduction also quite sucks.

Robin Bougie
12-03-2011, 01:40 PM
To be fair, the dialog free version shown here wasn't how it originally appeared. It had the same text, but this scan is taken from a wordless version that Alter Ego magazine reprinted. The art is the same though, and doesn't explain why it should have been reformatted and had the text moved around.

Ian Jane
12-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Here's the response from Philip Simon, my pal at Dark Horse:

"Hello, fellow comic book fans - the censorship claims made against Dark Horse are false. Dark Horse did not censor the Savage Tales #4 "The Dweller in the Dark" Conan story, and proper research wasn't done before those claims were posted. That original "Conan panels" post is very misleading as it's labeled now - but I'll explain how you can relabel it so it's more accurate and won't lead people to false assumptions about censorship. I have the original comics here - and from what I can tell, it seems that Marvel editors (who made publishing decisions in the early 1970s with the Comics Code Authority watching over their shoulders) are to blame.

Check this out: "The Dweller in the Dark" first ran in Conan the Barbarian #12 in color (Dec. 1971). I have the printed 1971 issue right here in front of me. On story page 5 in that issue, you'll see that the lady's butt is covered completely. The butt was COVERED when the story first ran in color. I do not have access to the original art, so I don't know what the artist turned in (the "purest" iteration of the image would be the original art board), but once again: the butt is covered in the color 1971 story, where it first ran. Marvel reprinted "The Dweller in the Dark" in black and white a few years later in Savage Tales #4 (May 1974). I have a printed copy of that right in front of me, too. On page 53 in Savage Tales #4, you'll see that Marvel made several changes to the panel, shortening the panel's height, re-lettering the word balloons in the panel, and even EXPOSING that butt a little. (gasp!) The looser content restrictions on the B&W magazine format in the 70s could have allowed the Marvel editor way back when to show off a little cheek in the artwork when his team was reformatting the story for a B&W magazine. (That's the final image in your friend's image sequence.) I

n Dark Horse's Savage Sword of Conan Vol. 1 reprint collection - which is a reprint series for the black and white Conan stories only - "The Dweller in the Dark" appears EXACTLY as it's seen in Marvel's Savage Tales #4, with that cheek showing as it originally showed in 1974. I don't think the story EVER showed a fully-exposed female butt in print. Can your friend provide a full-page scan, showing that fully-exposed butt panel in context, if it's not doctored?

It's easy to doctor images these days, as we all know, and that progression of panels your friend posted is very misleading. Censorship is an extremely hurtful claim. (Also, it's odd that there are no word balloons in that first posted Conan panel. It's possible that Barry Smith drew a fully-exposed butt, and then Marvel editors - with the Comics Code Authority over their shoulders in the 70s - had to "adjust the butt" in order to run the story in a color comic.) As far as I can tell, after researching things a bit and taking into account that I don't know if that first panel was doctored or not, I think the panels should be labeled this way: 1971 (Artist probably turns this in) - 1971 (Marvel runs covered butt in color for comic newsstands) - 1974 (Marvel runs a less-covered butt for magazine newsstands)... 2007 (Dark Horse reprints the B&W story, doing an archival job and not changing anything!!)... If the story was censored, it was something Marvel decided to do and put in print decades ago, when the Comics Code Authority was something people actually obeyed. Dark Horse's Savage Sword of Conan trade paperback series is an archival program. Savage Sword of Conan Volume 1 (Dec. 2007), page 107, which I have right in front of me, is EXACTLY the same as Marvel's Savage Tales #4, page 53 - so that's that. We reprinted the story and did no wrong. Censorship is disgusting. If you want to see some saucy, violent, uncensored Conan art, I humbly refer you to the run of Dark Horse's Conan the Cimmerian comics that I edited recently and the current King Conan comics that I'm working on. No censorship there. And a final word on some of those censorship claims that were made so quickly against Dark Horse without proper research: "A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." -Mark Twain"

So there you go, looks like Marvel probably doctored this stuff first, and the trickle down effect is now seen.

Robin Bougie
12-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Interesting!

So it *was* censorship from Marvel, and Darkhorse just printed it not knowing anything about it. I got that first butt panel from the new issue of ALTER EGO magazine #105, which has a giant article all about Censorship in comics.

There was nothing in that scan I made that was "a lie". But he's right that it does paint a negative assumption about Dark Horses involvement in censorship.

Robin Bougie
12-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Now I feel bad for besmirching the good name of Dark Horse. Should have assumed that it was leftover censorship from Marvel. I mean, who else would do that, right? DUH. They have a long history of it, including what they did to their Tomb of Dracula trade essential collections:

http://groovyageofhorror.blogspot.com/2006/09/censored-essentials.html

Roderick
12-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Marvel restored the above referenced nudity in the hardcover Tomb of Dracula Omnibus 3. I guess you gotta pay a premium if you want to see cartoon ta-tas.

Ian Jane
12-05-2011, 04:01 PM
But the nudity is still censored in the Essential Tomb of Dracula B&W newsprint editions, correct?

Robin Bougie
12-13-2011, 03:49 AM
One of the three best graphic novels of the year, in my opinion is rather hard to get in North America -- Pat McEown's HAIRSHIRT. The hardcover is on sale right now, and free shipping!

GET THIS AND LOVE ME FOR TELLING YOU ABOUT IT:
http://www.bookdepository.com/Hairshirt-Patrick-McEown/9781906838270

Ian Jane
01-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Almost finished the first volume of Dark Horse's Axe Cop collection and am sad that I don't have more to read. This is just way too fun. I like reading comics on paper more so than on the PC but at least I can go to the website for a new fix.

http://axecop.com/

Barry M
01-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Joe Matt's THE POOR BASTARD and SPENT, and Daniel Clowes' DAVID BORING. There is probably be some kind of dialogue between 'em, but I just gulped them down.

I wonder if Joe Matt's uploaded his 8-hour mixtapes anywhere?

Newt Cox
01-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Sigil volume 6

Never read much Crossgen stuff. But got this trade really cheap and so far it is pretty good.

Robin Bougie
01-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Prophet #21 (Image comics) Just came out on wednesday. In fact, it sold out before it was even released.

http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/39940/pr-image-comics---prophet-relaunch-sells-out-before-release-date

In my opinion, this is the single best comic that has come out of a American mainstream comics company in the last 5 years. Simon Roy and Brandon Graham are brilliant.

Industry reactions here:
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/01/chain-reactions-prophet-21/

Zane C.
01-23-2012, 12:10 AM
I was sooo into Walking Dead for the first 35 or so issues, got sidetracked, missed a bunch, and never came back to it.

This was my experience as well, mainly because I couldn't catch up with the trades in my area. I recently got ahold of everything up to issue 70, and I'm right back into this series. Fantastic writing, and the story keeps you on your toes. Can't wait to read everything up to issue 92.

Newt Cox
01-23-2012, 01:34 AM
Started reading "From Hell" the other day. Now I read the first few parts that were serialized in Taboo years ago. But have never read the entire thing. So far it has been really good.

Ian Jane
01-23-2012, 11:06 AM
From Hell is awesome. Make sure you read all the reference notes that come with it too, they're just as interesting.

I'm making my way through the 1st volume of Dark Horse's Sin Fest collection.

Newt Cox
01-24-2012, 01:46 AM
From Hell is awesome. Make sure you read all the reference notes that come with it too, they're just as interesting.

I'm making my way through the 1st volume of Dark Horse's Sin Fest collection.

I just finished the fourth chapter of it today. And see how it is slowly connecting all the different people.

Barry M
02-12-2012, 01:23 PM
I picked up 1-12 of Darwyn Cooke's Will Eisner's The Spirit. Pretty fine stuff, a little slight but kind of elegant, and I found I liked reading the individual issues more than trades.

Also in that batch, I'm looking forward to a T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents hundred-pager reprint (1, 2, and 7), which will probably make me want the archives. Includes the only one I actually remember, "A Matter of Life and Death".

Ryan K
02-14-2012, 01:24 AM
Finally sat down to read these this week.

The Death Ray by Daniel Clowes
Embarassingly, this was the first book by Clowes that I've read. It was an enjoyable take on the superhero mythos. The Death Ray gains super powers in a unique and amusing way. I don't know how it compares to the Eightball version released in 2004.

Paying For It by Chester Brown
Picked this up when it was released at TCAF (http://www.torontocomics.com) last year. Honest, funny, and entertaining. I really didn't expect a comic about prostitution to be so thought-provoking. The comic is followed by robust Appendices and Notes sections.

Even got it personalized:

Robin Bougie
02-14-2012, 06:59 AM
Sweet, I used to ink with those same 0.1 Microns, but changed to Steadtlers when I noticed that some of the ink would come off when you erased the pencil. Can't beat the tip on microns though.

Newt Cox
02-16-2012, 01:23 AM
Doom Patrol-Crawling from the Wreckage trade

I read this years ago,most likely as it was being published. And I still have all my Doom Patrol comics,but was too lazy to dig them out. So I got the trade from my local library. I had forgotten how much fun this series is. Can't wait to read the rest of Morrison's run on it.

Dave Starry
02-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Doom Patrol-Crawling from the Wreckage trade

I read this years ago,most likely as it was being published. And I still have all my Doom Patrol comics,but was too lazy to dig them out. So I got the trade from my local library. I had forgotten how much fun this series is. Can't wait to read the rest of Morrison's run on it.

I had a similar situation. I had collected the individual books in the late-80s/early-90s, but had missed issue #19 which was always too expensive. I put off reading them all that time and finally bought the trade paperback a few years ago and read that instead. A great story, and one of these days I need to continue on and read all the following individual issues that I've still got packed away in a box.

Andrew Monroe
02-16-2012, 04:10 PM
I got quite a haul last week, the last issue of Severed (Scott Snyder) - I loved this one. A 7 issue story of a runaway boy looking for his Dad and the cannibal he encounters on the road, Not just a cannibal but a freak with a mouth full of shark's teeth - it wears a denture when it wants to look normal. Beautifully illustrated by Attila Futaki. This is a period story, set in the early 1900s. I highly recommend the trade when it comes out. I am luke warm on Snyder's Swamp Thing and Batman (though I loved his run on Detective before the relaunch), but Severed and American Vampire are top of the to-read stack every month. Next was the first issue of David Lapham's Ferals - a werewolf story that got started nicely, a gory as hell "who's the werewolf?" mystery. Fans of THE HOWLING or SILVER BULLET would dig it. Also finally got a copy of the second issue of The Strain, Lapham's adaptation of the Del Toro/Hogan horror trilogy. Good stuff too so far. though they're obviously having to condense it quite a bit. I've read the 3 books that this is based on - loved the first one, thought the second was pretty disappointing, then things picked up significantly for the last book.

Randy G
02-18-2012, 05:48 AM
I had never heard of Thomas Ott until I came across this collection and the artwork blows me away. Storywise it is some standard 'shock' shorts at the beginning but he develops into interesting crime and horror shorts and his most recent work drawing on sf and Mexican pop art is the strongest of the lot, surreal and striking.

Andrew Monroe
05-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Yesterday I got the new Caligula trade by Lapham and Nobile. I don't know why I didn't buy the series when it was coming out 'cause this is pretty cool. I've just finished issue one and there's already been multiple dismemberings, implied bestiality, corpse fucking, and lopped off heads made into a stew. Neat little twist in this - Caligula seems to be invulnerable, he gets stabbed clean through the head and barely misses a beat. This is a like a comic book version of the D'Amato film. The story looks to be interesting too, a peasant infiltrates Caligula's court to avenge the murder of his family and he slowly becomes as depraved as they are.

Ian Jane
05-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Avatar put that out, right? Those guys aren't really afraid to 'go there' with their stuff. Haven't read it myself, was actually waiting for the trade and didn't realize it had come out already.

Andrew Monroe
05-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah, it's Avatar. It actually just came out this week I think. It's an understatement to say they're not afraid to push things, haha. They do some good books these days, I highly recommend Lapham's Ferals which will probably be collected in a trade soon - it's up to #5. Gory werewolf/murder mystery story. That new Crossed series Badlands is a real hoot, the issue before the latest had a tribute to the "pole woman" in CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, only think boy scouts one on top of the other....Jamie Delano is writing it now and he's gonna hand off to Lapham soon - it's a bi-weekly and they rotate writers.

Andrew Monroe
05-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Finished Caligula the other day, it was great. It does have an actual plot and isn't just shock for shock's sake - though there is plenty of "holy shit, is that what I think it is?" going on, make no mistake. The trade is volume 1 and the door is definitely left open for a sequel. The artwork is gorgeous, painted and really unique.

Gary Banks
05-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Picked up a lot of stuff over the past three weeks via sales and trades.Most of it hasn't been read yet but here we go:
X-FACTOR 227 228 230-234
XMEN OMNIBUS V2
MARVEL MASTERWORKS AVENGERS V 9
MARVEL MASTERWORKS AMAZING SPIDERMAN V 11
MARVEL MASTERWORKS FANTASTIC FOUR V7
THOR THE BLACK GALAXY SAGA
IRON MAN THE DRAGON SEED
WOLVERINE ENEMY OF THE STATE ULTIMATE COLLECTION
DEADPOOL SECRET INVASION
FINAL CRISIS THE ROGUE'S REVENGE
CRISIS ON MULTIPLE EARTHS V4
WHAT IF? SECRET WARS
SHE HULK:HERE TODAY
MS MARVEL ASCENSION
MS MARVEL WAR OF THE MARVELS
TUROK ARCHIVES V8

Probably forgot a few.....

Toyboy
06-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Figured I'd throw these in this thread...this past weekend was the 1st Annual Denver Comic Con. On Saturday, my friends Damon Gentry and Aaron Conley (who have a book coming out next year from **** *****) and I were lucky enough to have our new buddies Mike and Laura Allred crash our booth. Had a great time hanging out and even did a small jam piece with Mike that I'll scan later. Aw-thumb time!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/matthewallison/IMG_0792.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/matthewallison/IMG_0793.jpg

Alex K.
06-24-2012, 01:00 AM
Walking Dead #100 is going to be interesting. They're obviously setting up someone to die, question is who.

If they're going to be predictable my guess is Glen, Maggie or Sofia.

If Kerman is bold, maybe Rick or Michonne.

Ian Jane
06-24-2012, 08:47 AM
That's all kinds of great, Toyboy. Definitely scan that and post it.

2 issues in with Peter Bagge's Reset. It's ok. Not amazing, but ok enough that I want to know how it ends. Which means getting the next two issues I guess.

Also got the most recent Eerie hardcover, and needless to say it's pretty great.

Gary Banks
06-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Just finished Essential Avengers v8 (rep 164-184, Annuals 7 & 8).

Andrew Monroe
07-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Walking Dead #100 is going to be interesting. They're obviously setting up someone to die, question is who.

If they're going to be predictable my guess is Glen, Maggie or Sofia.

SPOILERS FOR WD #100 !!!!!!!!!!!!

You guessed right - it's one of those 3. Maybe it was predictable but it was damn sure gutwrenching all the same. That was brutal.

Just finished up Jamie Delano's run on Crossed: Badlands. This comic is sooo wrong, gawd I love it. This might be my favorite book right now, looking forward to what David Lapham does - he's starting a story next issue.

Newt Cox
07-16-2012, 10:26 PM
At the library's summer sale I got the old Kitchen Sink printing of "The Crow Dead Time" which is based a screenplay O'barr wrote. Pretty good,plus it only cost me a buck.

Alex K.
08-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Finally finished reading Dark Knight Returns having started it about a year ago and re-read it. I liked it, the art in the first two books are a little difficult to follow but it's tolerable. I prefer the art in books 3 and 4 personally. I don't have much to say other then level praise upon it, but I thought the newscaster segments were a little superfluous but I personally never liked that method of story telling in comics.

Newt Cox
08-15-2012, 12:56 AM
The Mammoth Book of Crime Comics

Got this really cheap and so far the first 3 stories have been good.

Andrew Monroe
08-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Just a heads-up, this month's Daredevil (17, out today) has regular writer Mark Waid teamed up with guest artist Mike Allred - Laura on colors. This is a small but welcome gift after iZombie just ended. Waid's DD run has been very good, it's one of the few superhero books I get these days.

Got a nice stack today, including the first issue of IDW's classic Popeye reprints (they have an ongoing new stories book too), new issues of Ferals, Crossed, Walking Dead, '68 Scars (Vietnam-era zombies), The Shade, Fatale...

Toyboy
08-15-2012, 11:27 PM
While this is not a comic book I'm reading because A) I have no interest in buying these new Watchmen books, and B) IT'S NOT EVEN OUT AS OF THE TIME I TYPE THIS!!!!...I found this page interesting. This portion of the new Rorschach book takes place in 1977...can anyone tell me what's wrong with these panels?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/matthewallison/prv13286_pg2.jpg

Roderick
08-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Those movies weren't out until a few years later. Lame.

Alex K.
08-16-2012, 12:39 AM
Hey, any reference to Cannibal Ferox regardless of continuity is a good thing.

47lab
08-16-2012, 01:44 AM
Ōoku: The Inner Chambers - Fumi Yoshinaga

Currently on Vol 7 (http://www.mangahere.com/manga/oooku/v02/c007/) & really enjoying this manga with the exception of the poor decision on the translator's part to imbue the text with Shakespearean prose & archaic colloquialisms. Sure the story takes place in medieval Japan but it seems an anachronism to use medieval English in place of a more conventional translation of the Japanese.

Robin Bougie
08-16-2012, 06:00 AM
James Stokoe's new 5 issue GODZILLA: HALF CENTURY WAR series from IDW.

OMG, it's the best godzilla comic ever made, I assure you. Look at these pages:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/james-stokoe-godzilla-attacks.html

Andrew Monroe
08-22-2012, 04:15 PM
I haven't been getting this series but I couldn't pass on the new issue's cover. The interior art is kinda lame.

Gary Banks
08-22-2012, 08:08 PM
DC FLASH ARCHIVES V6- Reprints Flash 142-150

Alex K.
09-04-2012, 11:49 AM
What 90's comics should I check out? HUGE fan of Spawn from 1-100. After 100 it kinda' went in every direction. I don't mind the re-launch around issue 185 or so with a new character as Spawn, but it's just not the same. I recently picked up The Maxx and have been loving it and I have a stash of Alan Moor Swamp Thing comics.

Andrew Monroe
09-04-2012, 12:43 PM
I'll state the obvious and mention Preacher. It's a must-read if you haven't already. That said, my favorite comic from the 90s is probably Starman by James Robinson and Tony Harris. Start from the begining and read all of it. Amazingly moving stuff at times and some of the best characters of any era. It's been collected in a series of gorgeous Omnibus editions, or you can probably still track down the trades for cheaper. I thought Ron Marz did some good stuff on Green Lantern, it was controversial but always interesting. Sandman Mystery Theater was good too.

47lab
09-12-2012, 03:02 AM
MARY'S ASSHOLE by Hanako Yamada aka Yumi Takaichi

After reading this manga, it came as no surprise to find out the author spent time in a mental institution and eventually took her own life at the age of 24.

I'm reminded of Giacomo Leopardi's famous quote:

Real misanthropes are not found in solitude, but in the world; since it is experience of life, and not philosophy, which produces real hatred of mankind.

Yamada was a misanthrope to the core. RIP.

Scott
09-13-2012, 05:15 PM
I've been catching up on the last iteration of Marvel's HEROES FOR HIRE, the one written by DnA. It's a fun little book. The last arc changes the name to VILLIANS FOR HIRE and ties everything up. Fun title filled with C and D-List heroes and villians, with Misty Knight and Paladin headlining. Art is good in some places, aweful in others.

Also picked up the Batman/Azrael collection GOTHAM SHALL BE JUDGED. Mostly got it for the handful of issues that Guillem March does art on. Can't get enough of that guy's work. Otherwise I don't know why I got it, I mostly hate Azrael. I guess I was in a Jesus mood.

Andrew Monroe
09-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Got the new trade collection of the online Crossed comic Wish You Were Here this week, more heart-warming family reading for sure. This was (and is, it's ongoing) free to read online but I like having the book in my hands and this way I get a new full length Crossed story to read. I swear, as sick and twisted as this book is I think it is on the brink of exploding in popularity.

Scott
09-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Oh and I just read INFERNAL MAN-THING #3 that wraps up the decades-in-the-works GN. I should have waited for the collection but once the floppies hit the stands I couldn't resist. From the late Steve Gerber (RIP) and Kevin Nowlan. The floppies reprint the the orginal Man-Thing story that inspired it as a back up.

http://i45.tinypic.com/zssjfr.jpg

Ian Jane
09-14-2012, 10:13 AM
That artwork is lovely. Trade comes out on Halloween, will pick that up for sure.

Roderick
09-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Yeah, I want this as well. Is it included in the forthcoming Omnibus?

Scott
09-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I want this as well. Is it included in the forthcoming Omnibus?

Nope, the Man-Thing Omni collects:

ASTONISHING TALES (1970) #12-13
FEAR #11-18, and material from #10 and #19
MAN-THING (1974) #1-22
GIANT-SIZE MAN-THING #1-3 and material from #4-5,
INCREDIBLE HULK (1968) #197-198
MARVEL TEAM-UP (1972) #68
MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE #43
MAN-THING (1979) #1-11
DR. STRANGE (1974) #41
And material from SAVAGE TALES (1971) #1, MONSTERS UNLEASHED #5 and #8-9, and RAMPAGING HULK (1977) #7.

There's also material from Marvel Comics Presents that is not in the Omni. I don't think that's ever been collected.

Paul Casey
09-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Bet you thought you'd never see me here!!

My buddy let me borrow his Secret Wars book. Technically, I haven't started reading it yet, but I put my bookmark in it and left it in the hopper, so that's gotta count for something.

http://www.marveldirectory.com/pictures/individuals/b_1d/beyonder.gif

"What's your sign, baby? Just kidding, I already know."

Andrew Monroe
10-10-2012, 02:12 PM
The first issue of IDW's new 1950s horror comics reprint book came out today. Picked it up but won't have time to read it til tonite. A glance over looks promising though, and it's $3.99 for a book that's twice the pages of a normal comic today. Gotta love that familiar cover too.

Newt Cox
10-11-2012, 03:40 AM
The first issue of IDW's new 1950s horror comics reprint book came out today. Picked it up but won't have time to read it til tonite. A glance over looks promising though, and it's $3.99 for a book that's twice the pages of a normal comic today. Gotta love that familiar cover too.

Is this just reprints of Public Domain stuff?

Andrew Monroe
10-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Is this just reprints of Public Domain stuff?

I would guess that, yes, they are PD reprints. There's obviously no EC stuff but this is from Yoe Books, an imprint of IDW, who have done the awesome Ditko Monsters books, Dick Briefer's Frankenstein, Bob Powell's Terror, etc. They are very well done books and this is as well. I read it last night and there's art from Simon and Kirby on one story. Other artists include Jack Cole and Mike Sekowsky. These are great, grim and nasty pre-Code stuff.

Newt Cox
10-11-2012, 07:21 PM
I would guess that, yes, they are PD reprints. There's obviously no EC stuff but this is from Yoe Books, an imprint of IDW, who have done the awesome Ditko Monsters books, Dick Briefer's Frankenstein, Bob Powell's Terror, etc. They are very well done books and this is as well. I read it last night and there's art from Simon and Kirby on one story. Other artists include Jack Cole and Mike Sekowsky. These are great, grim and nasty pre-Code stuff.

Cool,I have been getting scans of lots of Pre-code PD comics recently. Plus IDW's stuff is always so costly. I will skip on this till I can find it cheaper.

Toyboy
10-17-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm not even going to post an image here because it isn't worth the effort (you can Google it) but I just saw what is, for me at least, bottom of the barrel comics creativity - in an upcoming issue of the Brian Posehn-written DEADPOOL there will be a zombie Abe Lincoln.

Seeing this came about 30 minutes after reading a small preview of the first issue of the same series in which someone calls Deadpool a freak within the first 5 pages. If you check out mainstream comics any given month you'll see "freak" used as a pejorative in probably 2 out of 5 books, which is too much if you ask me. Posehn should know better. This is LCD humor on both counts - this is quadricorn and sasquatch level bullshit and it makes me sick.

Scott
10-31-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm not even going to post an image here because it isn't worth the effort (you can Google it) but I just saw what is, for me at least, bottom of the barrel comics creativity - in an upcoming issue of the Brian Posehn-written DEADPOOL there will be a zombie Abe Lincoln.

Seeing this came about 30 minutes after reading a small preview of the first issue of the same series in which someone calls Deadpool a freak within the first 5 pages. If you check out mainstream comics any given month you'll see "freak" used as a pejorative in probably 2 out of 5 books, which is too much if you ask me. Posehn should know better. This is LCD humor on both counts - this is quadricorn and sasquatch level bullshit and it makes me sick.

Me too.
The kid at my work loves Deadpool because he's so funny! He doesn't actually read the comics tho so I don't know where he's coming from. To me this is some AXE COP shit except instead of being written by a 6 year old it's written by a grown-ass man. And even AXE COP being written by a 6-year old doesn't excuse it's lameness. Pope Cop, Jesus Zombie and all that type of shit is so tired. Anything with Popes, zombies, unicorns, bigfoots and monkeys is tired and isn't funny anymore, it never was.

On the other hand have you read Remender's UNCANNY X-FORCE? It's the only current X-book I can read and while it's tapered off since the initial story arc's it's pretty rad, and it's the only time Deadpool's worked. Remender has actually made me feel sorry for the character, and care about him. But only in that book.

Currently I'm reading GOTHAM CENTRAL, I'm on the second book. I know I'm the last person to discover it but holy crap it's good. I can't read it fast enough.

Last night I had a dream I was being chased by Grendel Prime and I was very scared. I had Batman's grappling gun, the one he uses in the animated series. But everytime I used it it wouldn't grab onto anything. I thought you can just point it anywhere and shoot but it didn't work for me. I already know what Freud would say.

Roderick
10-31-2012, 10:48 PM
The last thing I read was the first trade of the Prophet reboot. I fucking hate Rob Liefeld but this book throws his superhero bullshit out the window and kicks it in full-on Metal Hurlant style. Dig it.

Toyboy
11-01-2012, 02:23 AM
I have the Opena drawn issues of Uncanny X-Force and loved 'em. As K-rod says about Prophet (which I also dig), it has a Euro Sci-Fi thing happening and I enjoy looking at it with my eyes.

I have been going back and reading Paul Chadwick's Concrete. Man, that dude is a bad ass. Beautiful comic books. Also grabbed the Eclipse mini-series, Winter World, by Chuck Dixon and Jorge Zaffino. Fairly standard post-apocolptic stuff but Zaffino is another rad artist.

Lastly, I just finished book 4 of the new Love & Rockets and got 5 from the library, along with the Corben Creepy book. All rad.

Roderick
11-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Also grabbed the Eclipse mini-series, Winter World, by Chuck Dixon and Jorge Zaffino. Fairly standard post-apocolptic stuff but Zaffino is another rad artist.

I also have those original Eclipse books. Dude draws some intense teeth. He also did some Punisher stuff at one point.

Lastly, I just finished book 4 of the new Love & Rockets and got 5 from the library, along with the Corben Creepy book. All rad.

That Corben book is super rad. I organized all my funny my books a while back and was pleasantly surprised at how much Corben stuff I had. I missed a few recentish books but have since tracked them down including a couple of issues of Ghost Rider, The Punisher "The End" one shot and the issue of Solo he did. I've only read the Punisher book so far. It's good stuff with old Frank still doing his thing at the end of the world. Corben also has a adaptation of The Conqueror Worm coming out from Dark Horse next month which I will be grabbing as his other Poe stuff has been very cool.

Scott
11-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Yeah I've been flipping thru that new Prophet series as each issue comes. I had to do a double take when I first saw it. Haven't bit the bullet on the trade, gonna have to do that. It looks like Rob's GLORY is going through a similar euro-type redesign. Good for them for giving that stuff a second, more interesting life.

Toyboy
11-01-2012, 08:09 PM
That Corben book is super rad.

That shark story in there is 200% better and more effective than OPEN WATER.

Toyboy
11-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Yeah I've been flipping thru that new Prophet series as each issue comes. I had to do a double take when I first saw it. Haven't bit the bullet on the trade, gonna have to do that. It looks like Rob's GLORY is going through a similar euro-type redesign. Good for them for giving that stuff a second, more interesting life.

Unfortunately I've heard that all those new Extreme titles are on the verge of being canceled.

Gary Banks
11-02-2012, 10:20 AM
SHOWCASE PRESENTS TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED v1

Scott
11-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Finished reading THE BATMAN: IN NINE LIVES, the sideways Elseworlds film noir inspired story. It has art by Michael Lark the guy that does GOTHAM CITY CENTRAL. Also read the FIRST WAVE collection that teams-up a gun toting Batman with Doc Savage and the Spirit. NINE LIVES was great, brought out all the best elements of the Bat mythos and the noir setting fit like a glove. FIRST WAVE was pretty crummy but I guess I was warned that it was going in, I just couldn't resist the concept, it had nice art tho. It seemed like they weren't even trying, Gotham was turned into an LA-styled town with palm trees and whatnot. Batman doesn't appear until the story is half over. This should have been so much better.

Also picked up the old Batman/Judge Dredd trade. The first story is a lot of fun, the other two are kinda lame. On the whole the execution was a bit too breezy but nice art all around by Simon Bisley and Glenn Fabry. There's an upcoming hardcover edition that includes the Cam Kennedy story not included in the tpb. I should've held out, I do love Cam Kennedy's work.

Started the second volume of GOTHAM CITY CENTRAL, did I tell you guys how much I love this? I love this. I need to start a HILL STREET BLUES thread to coincide.

Scott
11-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Finished BATMAN: EVOLUTION, by Rucka. Really cool fun stuff. Super stylized art with a 2-tone color palette. Ra's Al Ghul puts a drug on the street that turns people into animals. Sounds goofy but it works.

Marshall Crist
11-04-2012, 01:39 AM
I am reading Marvel's western titles from 1965. (KID COLT OUTLAW, RAWHIDE KID and TWO-GUN KID.)

Scott
11-05-2012, 04:00 PM
I am reading Marvel's western titles from 1965. (KID COLT OUTLAW, RAWHIDE KID and TWO-GUN KID.)

If only there was a forum where we could talk about this ....

Toyboy
11-05-2012, 07:25 PM
I went to the 35,000 sq. ft. Mile High Comics (http://www.milehighcomics.com/) warehouse/store yesterday - I asked for back issues of Heavy Metal and Chuck Rozanski himself lead me into the back where he just happened to have found about a dozen boxes of magazine sized comics from the 70's and 80's. It was a lot like a recurring dream I have (minus Rozanski) where I'm at a store and there's a secret cache of rare stuff (not that Heavy Metal is all that rare but I did see a bunch of British mags and small press stuff). He set me up in front of a shelf and let me go thru the boxes - I was surrounded by what must have been at least 30 pallets of long boxes, each about 7' high. A quintessential comics employee shuffled around with a clip board while I got my hands dirty. I had already been in the store for a half hour so I settled on the second issue of Heavy Metal and the fourth issue of Munoz & Sampayo's Sinner and left the mildewy cavern of boxes.

Now, Mile High is notorious for overpricing their back issues but in this store every comic is 50% off and most of the trades are 20%-40% off so I picked up some Jack Kirby comics (Kobra #1, 2001: A Space Oddysey #2, some Mister Miracle), Batman:The Cult issues 1 &2, some Concrete and a couple of Titan 2000 AD trades - Nemesis The Warlock and Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth - all in all I walked out with 14 comics and trades for $36.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/matthewallison/1459043.jpg

Marshall Crist
11-05-2012, 08:17 PM
If only there was a forum where we could talk about this ....

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/search/topic/topic/15201

Indeed.

Richard--W
11-05-2012, 11:16 PM
I went to the 35,000 sq. ft. Mile High Comics (http://www.milehighcomics.com/) warehouse/store yesterday - I asked for back issues of Heavy Metal and Chuck Rozanski himself lead me into the back where he just happened to have found about a dozen boxes of magazine sized comics from the 70's and 80's. It was a lot like a recurring dream I have (minus Rozanski) where I'm at a store and there's a secret cache of rare stuff (not that Heavy Metal is all that rare but I did see a bunch of British mags and small press stuff). He set me up in front of a shelf and let me go thru the boxes - I was surrounded by what must have been at least 30 pallets of long boxes, each about 7' high. A quintessential comics employee shuffled around with a clip board while I got my hands dirty. I had already been in the store for a half hour so I settled on the second issue of Heavy Metal and the fourth issue of Munoz & Sampayo's Sinner and left the mildewy cavern of boxes.

Now, Mile High is notorious for overpricing their back issues but in this store every comic is 50% off and most of the trades are 20%-40% off so I picked up some Jack Kirby comics (Kobra #1, 2001: A Space Oddysey #2, some Mister Miracle), Batman:The Cult issues 1 &2, some Concrete and a couple of Titan 2000 AD trades - Nemesis The Warlock and Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth - all in all I walked out with 14 comics and trades for $36.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/matthewallison/1459043.jpg

That's enough to make me wanna move to Denver.

Scott
11-06-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm picturing the end of RAIDERS but with comic books instead of arks.

Ian Jane
11-06-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm picturing the end of RAIDERS but with comic books instead of arks.

Me too. And Toyboy with a Fedora on.

Barry M
11-06-2012, 10:40 AM
It all sounds verrry Freudian. I bet sheets had to be changed.

Toyboy
11-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Turns out that the guy who rang me up Sunday didn't quite know what he was doing in regard to the trades - a different guy was there today and I made the mistake of asking him outright what the deal was on the trade paperbacks. He said that they were priced as marked and I confirmed that if a book was not tagged that it would be cover price so I grabbed the last issue of the British comics mag Ark and the Juan Gimenez book A Matter of Time - $14.95 and $8.95 respectively. However, when I brought the books up (along with some dollar back issues) the clerk seemed troubled - He said "Oh, jeez...if Chuck saw this he wouldn't be happy." I guess the deal is that new trades and hardcovers are cover price and any older books that are bagged and have a grade sticker need to be looked up in the catalog. He gave them to me at cover price but said that wasn't what he was supposed to do.

So, on Sunday the other dude had given me some random discount off the cover price of those trades when in reality they should have been a lot more - this Ark book goes for roughly $30 usually and the Gimenez book is worth at least $25. The good thing is that I should be able to go back this weekend when that dum-dum is working and pick up a few things, one of which is this Milo Minara comic..The Ape (http://www.amazon.com/The-Ape-Milo-Manara/dp/0874160197)

Also, I didn't have a fedora but I did have a whip which I used to pull comics off high shelves.

Scott
11-07-2012, 10:00 AM
http://thumbsnap.com/i/DOVyt4Ma.jpg

Toyboy
11-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Went back to Mile High and got sidetracked - their monthly auction was going on and they convinced me to grab a number. I ended up getting a sealed Tomb of Dracula Omnibus Vol. 3 for $20. I'll most likely skim thru it and then throw it on eBay.

Scott
11-10-2012, 06:42 PM
I liked the third Drac Omni more than I thought I would. Nice variety of art. It was the 2nd one that kinda bored me. Too much of a good thing? It's like Three Stooges and MASH, at some point I gotta say, I got hundreds of hours of this stuff, enough is enough. Plus as great as Tomb of Drac is it's pretty darn repetitive, the symptom of alot of the early bronze age stuff.

Finished UNCANNY X-FORCE: FINAL EXECUTION Part 1. Big improvement over the OTHERWORLD story arc. Jerome Opena and Esad Ribic's art is missed but the story is still pretty great. The actual book is a bit thin and I'm gonna bust a nut waiting for the series to wrap up in December.

I'm onto book 3 of GOTHAM CENTRAL. I'll let you guys know when I come up for air .... Best book ever!

Scott
11-15-2012, 10:58 PM
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111104014852/marveldatabase/images/6/60/Starriors_Vol_1_2.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-M9bsw7ZdCkE/UKTrXr8XRMI/AAAAAAAAHMQ/0EQ4eZav7Wc/s1600/rom05.jpg

Randy G
11-16-2012, 05:51 AM
Dororo and Princess Knight by Tezuka - Dororo is very good, a precursor to his adult comics with a surprising amount of violence and beautifully drawn demons and monsters. The ending was a little abrupt though and the narrative more serial-like than his later work. Princess Knight is clearly more for kids (probably young girls) but is fun and has a pretty bizarre mixture of gender-bending satire and over-the-top cutesy spiritualism.

Also picked up the Prophet trade, great stuff.

Newt Cox
11-18-2012, 07:07 AM
I placed an order for 10lbs of random "Adult" comics about a week ago. And on Friday they came in. It was 80 comics total. With lots of Vertigo stuff. But also lots of 80s indy stuff. So far have read the first issue of the Marvel Max Master of Kung Fu series. Pretty good story and it has nice Paul Gulacy artwork. But then I am a huge fan of the original Master of Kung Fu run. Also in the stack of comics was the first issue of "The Trouble with Girls" that Comico published.

Newt Cox
11-18-2012, 07:08 AM
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111104014852/marveldatabase/images/6/60/Starriors_Vol_1_2.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-M9bsw7ZdCkE/UKTrXr8XRMI/AAAAAAAAHMQ/0EQ4eZav7Wc/s1600/rom05.jpg

Love that Starriors cover. I got it cause of the Bill S artwork. And Rom has been one of my favorites since I was young. I wish Marvel could work out a deal so they could reprint the run in trades. Shit I would be happy with Essential Rom trades.

Newt Cox
11-20-2012, 05:40 AM
Been reading scattered issues of Crux from Crossgen comics. Really enjoying this and might have to track down every issue.

Scott
11-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Alright, so after being in love with GOTHAM CENTRAL I needed more! MORE! But there isn't any more so I've decide to follow Brubaker and Lark over to Daredevil. I'm the last one in the world, I know. But this is exactly what I've been looking for. Never been much of a Daredevil fan but it has all the noir atmosphere I loved that was in GOTHAM CENTRAL. I'm continually amazed by Michael Lark's art. I don't know how he does it. I'm sure he uses some photo reference but it never looks copied from anything. Just some incredibly detailed atmospheric comics.

http://x.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/f/90/4bb3f8fe41c7e/detail.jpg http://x.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/7/30/4bb634896ff64/detail.jpg

Taking a break now and then I slipped in readings of DR STRANGE: SEASON ONE and BATMAN: EARTH ONE. Both of 'em attempt to redo the characters origins for updated modern audience. I thought DR STRANGE was more fun, a lot of BATMAN: EARTH ONE just seemed like it was being different just for the sake of it and I never felt like the payoff was really worth it. DR STRANGE SEASON ONE had some very pretty art by Emma Rios and overall the story was more of a fun adventure romp.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk45/KOBE27new/DrStrange-Zone-043.jpg

Andrew Monroe
11-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Scott, if you haven't already, you should check out Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips' Fatale. It's a pretty great noir/horror series. The first collection is out.

Scott
11-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Scott, if you haven't already, you should check out Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips' Fatale. It's a pretty great noir/horror series. The first collection is out.

Andrew, I think that will be my next step. I know I've heard good things about all of Brubaker's crime and noir comics for a while. I like Sean Phillips work too. I guess I was just waiting for the bug to to bite and in the past couple weeks I've fallen hard for Brubaker, Rucka and Lark's work. Now I just have to space it all out a bit so I don't go nuts spending money.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Andrew Monroe
11-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Yeah, I am a huge Brubaker fan myself. I sadly just dropped Captain America, as he ended his long run on it. I wasn't real keen on killing off Steve Rogers but the way he spun out the story was fantastic. It wasn't your typical super hero book at all, more intrigue and espionage. He and Butch Guice did a killer batch of issues. One story I really dug was when they brought back the Cap from the 1950s, he was head of a crazy militia group that wanted to return to the "good old days".

Winter Soldier is another top drawer Brubaker book, Guice moved over to this one awhile ago. It's almost strictly noirish espionage, with sleeper enemy agents being activated and brainwashing and such. I'm not sure of the fate of this book, it never has been a big seller but damn, is it good.

Cap, Winter Soldier, and Waid's Daredevil are the only Marvel books I've been buying and now I may be down to just DD, depending on what's going on with Soldier.

Scott
12-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Found a copy of BATMAN: ORDER OF THE BEASTS by Eddie Campbell at the comic shop. Elseworlds tale that has Batman solving muders brought on by a fake-ass Loyal Order of Water Buffalos-like illuminati, around the early 1900's England. It's only 48-pages but worth checking out if you like this kind of stuff. It never feels gimmicky or cheap the way so many Elseworlds do, it feels very much a product of the time it's potraying. Classy stuff.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100609044031/marvel_dc/images/1/10/Batman_Order_of_Beasts.jpg

http://www.tcj.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/campbell026fullsize.jpg

http://www.tcj.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/campbell027fullsize.jpg

http://comics.imakinarium.net/notis/2004/01/040105_campbell/040105_campbell_00.jpg

Ian Jane
12-01-2012, 09:03 PM
I always kinda hated the Elseworlds stuff (Gotham By Gaslight being the exception) but Eddie Campbell on Batman is enough to open my mind.

Scott
12-01-2012, 10:33 PM
I always kinda hated the Elseworlds stuff (Gotham By Gaslight being the exception) but Eddie Campbell on Batman is enough to open my mind.

There are some good ones out there but I agree most of them are meh.

I think these are pretty good:

Batman: Nine Lives - (Dean Motter and Michael Lark) Film noir mystery about who killed Sylina Kyle.

Batman: Gotham Noir - (Brubaker and Sean Phillips) Follows Jim Gordon as he gets tangled up in a noir mystery of murder and corruption.

Batman: Year 100 - (Paul Pope) Awesome future tale of the Batman of the year 2039.

Son of Superman - (Howard Chaykin and J.H. Williams III) Superman's son battles a corrupt JLA.

The Flashpoint: Batman - (Azzarello and Russo) In this tale it was young Bruce who was murdered in the alley and his father, Thomas Wayne, becomes the Batman. At only three issues it isn't very substantial but it's still pretty great.

From the Marvel side I really enjoy PUNISHER: MAN NAMED FRANK. John Buscema and Chuck Dixon tell a tale of Frank Castle set in the old west seeking vengence for the men who killed his family. OLD MAN LOGAN is fun too.

http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/comic_graphics/1/49/31369_20060305202950_large.jpg http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/comic_graphics/1/484/94167_20111216235435_large.jpg

http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/comic_graphics/1/148/29422_20061207004053_large.jpg http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/comic_graphics/1/466/23097_20110726004934_large.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RPjBiAm0L._SL500_SS500_.jpg http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/comic_graphics/1/467/232084_20110803103952_large.jpg

http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/comic_graphics/1/464/230502_20110708163236_large.jpg

http://www.comiclist.com/media/blogs/reviews/Man_Called_Frank.jpg

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/wolverine66-mcniven.jpg

Roderick
12-01-2012, 11:50 PM
There are a few fun Elseworlds books. I second the Chaykin, Pope and Mignola books. Also good are these:

Roderick
12-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Oh, and I also liked the Campbell Batman book and the Old Man Logan book.

Gary Banks
12-02-2012, 10:05 AM
I've had World's Funnest on my want list for some time and should pull the trigger on it.

Scott
12-03-2012, 11:51 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/6ypmjo.jpg

Ian Jane
12-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Nice. I'll always love Art Adams for that Creature From The Black Lagoon book he did.

sukebanboy
12-04-2012, 08:20 PM
I haven't read a comic book in years...'cept a SIMPSONS one in an airport bookstore!

Scott
12-04-2012, 10:02 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7279/7630623932_cb8d874804.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/93779577@N00/7630623932/)
Mr Pruneface Nazi Spy Dick Tracy Villain 9190 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/93779577@N00/7630623932/) by Brechtbug (http://www.flickr.com/people/93779577@N00/), on Flickr

Scott
12-04-2012, 10:15 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/sfdu07.jpg

Ian Jane
12-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Too many Iron Mans.

Roderick
12-05-2012, 12:05 PM
How do you take a picture of a hundred guys and not have at least ONE person blinking? Especially with having to time all the jumping and flying just right. I wonder how many tries that took?

Apronikoff
12-05-2012, 12:09 PM
How do you take a picture of a hundred guys and not have at least ONE person blinking? Especially with having to time all the jumping and flying just right. I wonder how many tries that took?

Sounds like a job for...Nikon Man! Flashier than Anne Geddes! More stylish than Man Ray! Able to take group photos in a single shot!

Roderick
12-05-2012, 12:25 PM
I wonder what kinds of rates he charges?

Superheroes are such narcissists. Always with the flexing and the posing. And they are so into it they think nothing of casually hanging out with their arch enemies when a good photo op comes along.

Alex K.
01-20-2013, 11:43 PM
Bomb Queen: The titties got my attention but it's a pretty fun comic focusing on a super villain that controls a city. Fun stuff.

Toyboy
01-22-2013, 09:38 AM
I've been reading MARVEL:THE UNTOLD STORY, aka THE MISERY FACTORY. According to this book no one was happy there. Ever.

Ian Jane
01-22-2013, 10:51 AM
I've been reading MARVEL:THE UNTOLD STORY, aka THE MISERY FACTORY. According to this book no one was happy there. Ever.

Wait, so you mean Smilin' Stan Lee wasn't so smilin' after all? Excelsior!

Scott
01-22-2013, 12:51 PM
The last two issues of Vigil and Quinn's FAUST came out! #14 and 15! 25 years later ... It ended pretty much how I expected. Lot's of fighting with tits and dicks floppin'. Glad to finally see the whole thing.

Meanwhile I've also been reading Aja and Fraction's IRON FIST and Francavilla's Captain Americas. I can't get enough of both Aja and Francavilla's work right now. I've finally come fully around to modern mainstream comics, it's just gotta be the right people working on it.

I also read a shitty SPECTRE book set after/during Infinite Crisis and it showcases detective Crispus Allen from Gotham Central becoming the new (now old) Spectre. It was written by some clyde and takes all the steam outta seeing Crispus die at the end of Gotham Central. Spoilers. Sorry.

Oh, and I read Darwyn Cooke's EGO that collects all his various Batman and Catwoman stories EGO and SELINA'S BIG SCORE along with a few random short stories and covers and whatnot. Fun stuff. I ignored him for too long.

And while I was in a Catwoman mood I decided to finally check out CATWOMAN: WHEN IN ROME by Sale and Loeb, the side story to their LONG HALLOWEEN / DARK VICTORY epics. I think I liked WHEN IN ROME even more than the main books. Fanatstic European setting!

Ian Jane
01-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Shit. Didn't know 14 and 15 were out, thanks Scott.

Scott
01-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Shit. Didn't know 14 and 15 were out, thanks Scott.

No prob. I guess #14's been out since November! I was at the comic store and they had a few issues behind the counter all covered up, I almost had a stroke when I saw 'em. Then I asked the girl working how come FAUST is behind the counter head-comix style while stuff like CROSSED is sitting right next to Captain America on the regular shelf? She didn't have an answer. The cover price went up too, 4.95 for regular sized #14. 5.95 for double sized #15! I would have paid triple that tho'.

Ian Jane
01-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Any chance if you're back that way you can snag one of each for me? They're apparantly sold out.

Scott
01-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Sure, I'll check it out today.

They sell direct through the Broken Halo's website but they already jacked up the price on their own stuff ... http://www.brokenhalos.safewebshop.com/

I mean they're selling #12 for $50!!

Ian Jane
01-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Yeah I saw that. Insane. You can get both on ebay for $35 shipped but that's still a lot.

Andrew Monroe
01-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Then I asked the girl working how come FAUST is behind the counter head-comix style while stuff like CROSSED is sitting right next to Captain America on the regular shelf? She didn't have an answer.

That is pretty ridiculous. Crossed is massively explicit with some truly gnarly imagery. I love it, haha. Some writers do better than others, my favorite is actually not Garth but David Lapham. I insanely ordered the big Crossed collector's set (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/21/crossed-boxing-return-of-garth-gets-box-treatment/) but no guarantee I'll get one at that limited of a run.

Other regular reads:

Superbia - This is sooo good, a soap/superhero story about a bunch of JLA types that all live in one neighborhood and fuck each other and their sidekicks and don't know a super villain just moved in. Just wicked fun.

Colder - Offbeat horror miniseries by Paul Tubin and Juan Ferreyra about a sort of soul stealer.

Caligula Heart Of Rome - sequel with Lapham and Nobile returning and 2 issues in it's good old depraved return to ancient Rome. Builds on the reasoning behind the insanity nicely.

Ferals - Continues to be compelling. Werewolfs and conspiracies and lots and lots of gore.

Witch Doctor - A horror title that's not all grim and gore, this one has some humor and quirky characters. Seifert and Ketner handle this book well, doing a miniseries here and there and not wearing it out by going monthly.

Scott
01-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Yeah, all those are on the regular shelves but FAUST is behind the counter. Madness I tells ya'.

Like at the jerk chicken place I go to they have a Bob Marley picture placed unironically next to the "no smoking" sign.

Toyboy
01-22-2013, 10:15 PM
April 23 (http://www.amazon.com/Marshal-Law-Deluxe-Pat-Mills/dp/1401238556/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358907306&sr=1-1&keywords=marshal+law)

Alison Jane
01-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Fucking finally! I need that. Gonna preorder that now, thanks TT Boy.

Alison Jane
01-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Ooooops. I am logged in as Alison.

Todd Jordan
01-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Why are you logged in as Alison? Does she even exist?

Alex K.
01-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Getting a Fight Club vibe here.

Ian Jane
01-23-2013, 03:00 PM
I was using the iPad and she left herself logged in on it. I didn't realize when I made that post. Nothing more to it than that.

I am gonna get that Marshal Law book though. Here's the contents:

-MARSHAL LAW #1-6
-MARSHAL LAW: FEAR AND LOATHING
-MARSHAL LAW TAKES MANHATTAN
-MARSHAL LAW: KINGDOM OF THE BLIND
-MARSHAL LAW: THE HATEFUL DEAD
-MARSHAL LAW: SUPER BABYLON
-MARSHAL LAW: SECRET TRIBUNAL #1-2

I think that's everything except the crossovers:

-Marshal Law/Pinhead: Law In Hell
-Marshal Law/Savage Dragon:
-Marshal Law/The Mask

Andrew Monroe
01-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Did you ever play football for Notre Dame?

Ian Jane
01-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Heh. Took me a second, but I got it.

Ian Jane
01-26-2013, 12:32 AM
Fausts were in my mailbox today, thanks Scott. Gonna readem up ASAP.

Scott
01-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Awesome! Glad they got there so fast!

Scott
01-26-2013, 06:52 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/j5immf.jpg

http://gallery.unrealspawnboard.com/albums/userpics/10006/flotd-04.png

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/602676_10151425987333385_234012610_n.jpg

Newt Cox
01-27-2013, 02:45 AM
Fausts were in my mailbox today, thanks Scott. Gonna readem up ASAP.

Did it ever get wrapped up? I remember there being a huge break between issues and I stopped reading.

Johnny Stickman
01-27-2013, 08:29 AM
Popeye: The Great Comic Book Tales of Bud Sagendorf.

Scott
01-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Did it ever get wrapped up? I remember there being a huge break between issues and I stopped reading.

Yep, #15 was the last issue, just came out a couple months ago.

Ian Jane
01-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Finished issue 14 last night. Quinn's dialogue is great, M's speeches in particular are awesome.

Newt Cox
01-28-2013, 01:00 AM
Yep, #15 was the last issue, just came out a couple months ago.

Great now I gotta go buy every issue again. When the long break happened I sold off my copies. I hope a trade or hardback is coming out.

Randy G
01-28-2013, 07:18 AM
Picked up the latest FATALE TB and the last CASANOVA TB. CASANOVA is a particularly psychedelic comic by Fraction, drawn by Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon.

Robin Bougie
01-28-2013, 07:35 AM
I was astonished to find out tonight that Brandon Graham's Prophet is only selling a little over 5000 copies per issue, despite being one of the best comics on the shelves these days. It was especially surprising, since it is one of the best sellers at my local comic store. I guess we're the only ones buying it!

To put that in context, that is about 10 people reading it per major city in North America.

To put that in further context, it's selling much worse than tripe like:

Issue 243 of SONIC THE HEDGEHOG.
MAGIC THE GATHERING
AMERICA'S GOT POWERS

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2012/2012-12.html

Ian Jane
01-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Great now I gotta go buy every issue again. When the long break happened I sold off my copies. I hope a trade or hardback is coming out.

They advertise Communion Editions in the back of Vol. 15 - each one collects three issues.

Newt Cox
01-28-2013, 01:42 PM
They advertise Communion Editions in the back of Vol. 15 - each one collects three issues.

Nice I will get those instead. I wonder if Instocktrades will carry them? If not I will get them someplace else.

Randy G
01-29-2013, 05:21 AM
I was astonished to find out tonight that Brandon Graham's Prophet is only selling a little over 5000 copies per issue, despite being one of the best comics on the shelves these days. It was especially surprising, since it is one of the best sellers at my local comic store. I guess we're the only ones buying it!

Crazy, I know it was popular in our local comic store too but I guess he's kinda a local boy. Can't wait to see what he does next.

Ian Jane
01-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Read Faust 15 last night. Fin! A good ending, leaves things open enough for another series if they want to do it but brings enough closure to the plot that it makes sense. Vigil's art is great but I still don't think he tops Gothic Nights here. Still, rad to see it finally finished and on their own terms without bowing to pressure or censorship issues.

Scott
01-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Read Faust 15 last night. Fin! A good ending, leaves things open enough for another series if they want to do it but brings enough closure to the plot that it makes sense. Vigil's art is great but I still don't think he tops Gothic Nights here. Still, rad to see it finally finished and on their own terms without bowing to pressure or censorship issues.

It'll be interesting to see what they do next, if anything. They already sequelized it with the Avatar stuff, but all that work felt very half-hearted and undercooked. I'd like to se a proper FAUST SAGA with Joanna Tan, the one we got from Avatar is not on the level of the work by Mark Beachum and Vigil that was shown to be coming for years.

I agree artwise GOTHIC NIGHTS is tops. I'd also throw in EO as his best work, I'd like to see that finished but I'm not sure if Vigil has any intention to.

Edit: Pretty good review of the last two issues here and Tim Vigil posts at the end in the comments. http://benjaminherman.wordpress.com/2013/01/08/comic-book-reviews-faust-love-of-the-damned-acts-14-15/

Ian Jane
01-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Yeah, EO is fantastic. Forgot about that, it should be finished, I agree. They got, what... two issues into that one I think?

The Avatar stuff was done fast and I think for fun, maybe some easy money too. Won't begrude them that. I liked 777 better than Faust Saga, actually. Book of M was okay too. None of that stuff hit LOTD levels for me, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Scott
01-30-2013, 11:25 AM
I liked 777 better too. Wouldn't mind seeing more of that.

EO was only supposed to be 4 issues so they're halfway there!

Roderick
01-30-2013, 12:15 PM
I had the first few issues of Faust but dumped after I gave up on the whole thing ever getting finished. At this point I'm just going to hold out for a single volume collected edition.

Scott
02-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Finally got around to reading the new Image PROPHET, oh boy was that great! Can't wait for the 2nd collection, hopefully.

Also finally finished Brubaker's and Lark's DAREDEVIL. And now I'm bummed because there isn't any more. Great run of issues. This and GOTHAM CENTRAL spoiled me. I need more!!

Toyboy
02-07-2013, 05:52 PM
I have it on fairly good authority that Prophet won't be going away anytime soon. I've also heard that Graham has some cool projects coming down the pike.

Scott
02-07-2013, 07:42 PM
YAY!

Ian Jane
02-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Got the digital version of the 1st issue of the new Dark Horse Creepy series for free on the iPad and checked it out last night. It doesn't quite capture the seventies feel of the classic run of the old Warren series but it does have enough going for it in terms of story and art to make it worth checking out if you like the horror anthology comics that inspired it.

Toyboy
02-17-2013, 01:17 AM
You should maybe buy issue 12 of Creepy in May.

Just sayin'. :eyebrows:

Ian Jane
02-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Spill it! Who'd you collaborate with? That's rad news.

Clive Smith
02-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Yeah, that's big!

Also, when can we see 'The Funky Death of Root Beast'?

Roderick
02-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Stoked for the Mattacular May issue. Issue 10 was a good all Lovecraft issue.

Scott
02-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Shit's gonna be fiya!

Toyboy
02-19-2013, 01:09 AM
Spill it! Who'd you collaborate with? That's rad news.

It's all me (well, the one story will be all me - not the entire issue, obviously - I wrote it and am currently drawing it.)

The main story and cover for that issue though is Corben, so you gotta buy it anyway.

And "Funky Death of Root Beast" is drawn. I just need to color and letter it.

Roderick
02-19-2013, 01:32 AM
It's all me (well, the one story will be all me - not the entire issue, obviously - I wrote it and am currently drawing it.)

The main story and cover for that issue though is Corben, so you gotta buy it anyway.

Best issue ever just got bester.

Ian Jane
02-19-2013, 10:04 AM
That's radtastic, TB. I'll buy two copies. One for me and one for my mom.

Scott
02-19-2013, 10:36 AM
It's gonna be great!

Scott
02-20-2013, 04:32 PM
http://www.littlestuffedbull.com/images/2013/365dchouseads/0217-startrek28.jpg

Scott
02-20-2013, 04:38 PM
http://www.littlestuffedbull.com/images/2013/todayincomicshistory/0212-ci142.jpg

Scott
02-20-2013, 04:38 PM
I'm not actually reading any of these. Sorry.

Newt Cox
02-20-2013, 08:23 PM
I got that Lincoln issues of CI along with like 40 other issues last year in a trade. Traded someone some old common vhs and got them. Most of them are pretty beat up.

Scott
02-20-2013, 08:53 PM
That's awesome! The only Classics Illustrated I have is Frankenstein, I'd love to have more tho'.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0WGbbAaNY6w/TFKADP1-FoI/AAAAAAAAGiM/hMXnTGFkLT8/s1600/Cover+F.jpg

Apronikoff
02-20-2013, 10:14 PM
That's awesome! The only Classics Illustrated I have is Frankenstein, I'd love to have more tho'.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0WGbbAaNY6w/TFKADP1-FoI/AAAAAAAAGiM/hMXnTGFkLT8/s1600/Cover+F.jpg

That's really cool...I love the cover. I just read Junji Ito's (Uzumaki, Tomie) manga version of Frankenstein, which I thought was pretty great...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5247/5307066519_8239b625db.jpg

Ryan K
02-20-2013, 10:21 PM
And "Funky Death of Root Beast" is drawn. I just need to color and letter it.

I wish I could pre-order this or the Calamity of Challenge 80-Page Giant or whatever is coming out next. CoC #127 permanently resides on my desk to flip through whenever my life needs more radness.

Ian Jane
02-21-2013, 10:28 AM
For those of us who didn't know you'd actually published CoC #127, where is the best place to order it to support the guy who made it?

Newt Cox
02-21-2013, 11:47 AM

I need to find my list of all the CI issues I got and see if there is anything you might want off it. They are all beat up but still complete.

Toyboy
02-22-2013, 10:47 AM
For those of us who didn't know you'd actually published CoC #127, where is the best place to order it to support the guy who made it?

Oh, man...shoot me an email. :blush:

Toyboy
02-22-2013, 10:49 AM
I wish I could pre-order this or the Calamity of Challenge 80-Page Giant or whatever is coming out next. CoC #127 permanently resides on my desk to flip through whenever my life needs more radness.

Thanks, Ryan. I hoped to have this new stuff printed in August but with some of the commission stuff and now this Creepy story I'm way behind. I may just throw everything I have at this point up on my new Calamity blog.

Barry M
02-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Not to pressure you, but every time that "PAL speedup" thread shows up, I think of COC.

Stay busy!

Scott
02-27-2013, 01:16 PM
http://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/dynamics/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/jack-kirby.-portfolio-piece.-004.jpg

Andrew Monroe
03-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Read all about Super Duck here (http://www.misterkitty.org/extras/stupidcovers/stupidcomics136.html) (a Donald Duck cash-in). Some very funny stuff there.

"As we see here Super Duck is a loudmouthed, aggressive son of a bitch who would abuse any REAL super powers with terrible, irrational anger."

Ian Jane
03-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Last night I read Calamity of Challenge (http://calamityofchallenge.blogspot.com/) while I was going to the bathroom. It was awesome.

Seriously though, the colors in this are beautiful, the art is insane and detailed and the character design is nuts and both beautiful and grotesque at the same time.

Hopefully once Mr. Fancypants is done with his Creepy work we'll get more of this.

PAINKILLAH!

Gary Banks
03-18-2013, 09:37 AM
Anybody get a peek at STEVE DITKO'S MONSTERS v1 GORGO yet?

Andrew Monroe
03-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Anybody get a peek at STEVE DITKO'S MONSTERS v1 GORGO yet?

Diamond sent my store a copy out of the blue, Gary (no one ordered it). I took a look inside and it looks great! The owner offered it to me at half price...I passed because I hoped my order of the Crossed fan pack would come but I missed out on that limited set so if it's there this week I think I'll get it. Really well put together book, I have a couple other horror collections of theirs and they're nice quality.

Newt Cox
03-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Got a huge stack of Sandman Mystery Theater,Hellblazer,Doom Patrol and a complete Kid Eternity vertigo run for dirt cheap. Been reading the Pollack run of Doom Patrol.

47lab
03-19-2013, 12:23 AM
Revisiting Kazuo Koike/Goseki Kojima's Path of the Assassin reprinted by Dark Horse several years ago. In the field of gekiga, there is no equal to Kojima -- although, Hiroshi Hirata is right up there in the same illustrious company.

Scott
03-22-2013, 10:54 AM
http://www.flickr.com//photos/fantagraphics/sets/72157632805410379/show/

Toyboy
03-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Find this. Buy it. Read it.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/matthewallison/tumblr_lzb1fsHwHV1qc5dpuo1_400_zpsd0a8a9f2.png

Ian Jane
03-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Is that a new series or are you just geeking out over the old Gulacy six issue run?

Horace Cordier
03-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Essential Punisher Vol 1.

Old school.

s.chivers
04-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Oops, posted in the wrong thread.

Paul L
04-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Essential Punisher Vol 1.

Old school.
Oh, boy. That's my kinda book. I have three of those volumes at home. Just a shame they're not in colour.

I always like Steven Grant's run at the character. That series of storylines defined The Punisher for me.

I'm currently reading that NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD series that John Russo had a hand in, from a few years back. It's all right, but it's a bit tacky and juvenile - there seems to be any excuse for a scenario in which a young woman gets mauled by a zombie and one of her breasts falls out of her dress on each page. Now, I'm not against that in principle, but y'know... it gets a bit old hat after a while. Plus, the book's got an obsession with children being torn apart by the living dead - something which I seem to remember irked me about THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD novel Russo wrote back in the 1970s or whenever, but which bothers me even more now that I'm a parent. You could say it's all about primal fears, etc, but I don't know if that's being too kind - it all seems a bit shock-for-the-sake-of-shock to me, which again isn't something I'm against in principle. Maybe I'm slightly jaded. Maybe the book's just not that good. I dunno :biggrin:

That said, I'm still going to check out the second and third volumes, as I understand there are different writers throughout. I may also track down ESCAPE OF THE LIVING DEAD.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51H1CWDIuXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Apronikoff
04-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Oh, boy. That's my kinda book. I have three of those volumes at home. Just a shame they're not in colour.

I always like Steven Grant's run at the character. That series of storylines defined The Punisher for me.

I'm currently reading that NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD series that John Russo had a hand in, from a few years back. It's all right, but it's a bit tacky and juvenile - there seems to be any excuse for a scenario in which a young woman gets mauled by a zombie and one of her breasts falls out of her dress on each page. Now, I'm not against that in principle, but y'know... it gets a bit old hat after a while. Plus, the book's got an obsession with children being torn apart by the living dead - something which I seem to remember irked me about THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD novel Russo wrote back in the 1970s or whenever, but which bothers me even more now that I'm a parent. You could say it's all about primal fears, etc, but I don't know if that's being too kind - it all seems a bit shock-for-the-sake-of-shock to me, which again isn't something I'm against in principle. Maybe I'm slightly jaded. Maybe the book's just not that good. I dunno :biggrin:

That said, I'm still going to check out the second and third volumes, as I understand there are different writers throughout. I may also track down ESCAPE OF THE LIVING DEAD.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51H1CWDIuXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I read this several years ago, Paul, and I know exactly what you mean. It reminds me of a thing said about standup comedy: "there's no such thing as offensive jokes, just bad jokes." I have absolutely no problem with titillation or shock for their own sakes (I think that's a requirement for RSP membership), so long as there's some kind of craft or inspiration behind the work. But that just had the snickering quality of a 14-year old's vision of a "totally badass" horror comic.

Paul L
04-02-2013, 07:08 PM
I read this several years ago, Paul, and I know exactly what you mean. It reminds me of a thing said about standup comedy: "there's no such thing as offensive jokes, just bad jokes." I have absolutely no problem with titillation or shock for their own sakes (I think that's a requirement for RSP membership), so long as there's some kind of craft or inspiration behind the work. But that just had the snickering quality of a 14-year old's vision of a "totally badass" horror comic.
You said it far better than I could :) Glad I'm not alone in finding this one a disappointment.

Scott
04-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Been reading Brubaker's DEATH OF CAPT AMERICA, *SPOPILERS* The Captain catches his lunch. Terrific stuff tho, real top shelf comics.

Read Rucka's THE QUESTION: CRIME BIBLE. I don't know how I feel about it, to be honest. I guess I'm still chasing the characters from GOTHAM CENTRAL, but it all feels pretty aimless. This includes the QUESTION: PIPELINE and SPECTRE: CRISIS AFTERMATH. The worst thing they did was making these characters superheroes, but I have to read it all. I have FINAL CRISIS REVELATIONS sitting here waiting to hate too. I want to keep giving DC (money) a chance but it's always felt more hit and miss to me.

I've been picking away at FANTASTIC FOUR: THE OVERTHROW OF DOOM that collects FF# 192-200, where Doom has a son and overthrows him with the help of the FF. The art's by George Perez and Keith Pollard. I really enjoy Pollard's work when inked by Joe Sinnott, it's super clean. Pretty middle of the road comics compared to today's sophisticated work but I like it. Never read these before but reading them no now makes me feel like a kid again. Fun stuff, if you can get into it.

Read a few Elseworlds, picked up the new printing of GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT which also includes the sequel MASTER OF THE FUTURE. I never read these before, suprisingly. GASLIGHT was great and deserves all the kudos it recieved over the years. I only wish it was longer. Reminds me a lot of the recent Flashpoint Batman, in story, art and tone. MASTER OF THE FUTURE was a huge step down, glad I finally read it tho.

The other Elseworlds I read was JUSTICE RIDERS by Chuck Dixon and J.H. Williams III. Justice League in the old west. Wonder Woman leads a team that doesn't include Superman or Batman. Plays out like a pilot to a series, to bad this is all we got. Goes good with the Punisher in the west Elseworlds, MAN NAMED FRANK.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080916011356/marvel_dc/images/0/0d/Justice_Riders.jpg

Paul L
04-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Read a few Elseworlds, picked up the new printing of GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT which also includes the sequel MASTER OF THE FUTURE. I never read these before, suprisingly. GASLIGHT was great and deserves all the kudos it recieved over the years. I only wish it was longer. Reminds me a lot of the recent Flashpoint Batman, in story, art and tone. MASTER OF THE FUTURE was a huge step down, glad I finally read it tho.
I really liked GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT too, Scott. I also remember liking TALES OF THE MULTIVERSE: BATMAN - VAMPIRE and HAUNTED GOTHAM.

However, my favourite Elseworld book was Mark Millar's SUPERMAN: RED SON. That one's a corker, imo :)

Scott
04-17-2013, 12:12 AM
Finished a few new comic pages recently so I figured I'd shill 'em here: http://www-dreamsicle.blogspot.com/2013/04/dreamsicle-chapter-4-pages-14-18.html

Andrew Monroe
04-17-2013, 07:57 AM
Love the colors on the last couple pages! The art in general is boffo too.

Scott
04-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks Andrew!

Ian Jane
04-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Bonus points for using the word 'alleyoop' in your comic. I also like naked ladies saying 'fie.'

Are these going to be collected on paper anytime soon or are you just doing digital only for now?

Scott
04-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Bonus points for using the word 'alleyoop' in your comic. I also like naked ladies saying 'fie.'

Are these going to be collected on paper anytime soon or are you just doing digital only for now?

Thanks, boss.

Eventually I'd like to do a print version when I have enough material. I've been creating a black and white version for print seperate from the color version. I'm going back to the original line work and adding dot screens for the shading. The plan is to self print some cheap black and white mini-comics and maybe do some small press expos.

While there's a definite end planned out to the story I could keep going past that creating new adventures, etc.

Ian Jane
04-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Rad. My advice? More naked ladies and weird sound effects. I like those.

Barry M
04-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Turn em into an epub and sell it for a buck on Amazon. They're awfully pretty digital. Then when you've got enough pages for the next issue, do another one, and a digital omnibrick one day.

Scott
04-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Turn em into an epub and sell it for a buck on Amazon. They're awfully pretty digital. Then when you've got enough pages for the next issue, do another one, and a digital omnibrick one day.

Good idear. I probably won't do anything until I have a last two more chapters done. So in twenty years or so look out for it underneath the toilet of your favorite rest stop.
I'm not much of a business man, I'd rather just give it away until it's collected proper.

Scott
04-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Rad. My advice? More naked ladies and weird sound effects. I like those.

I like those too. Lot's more of both coming in the fuutre!

Roderick
04-17-2013, 11:08 AM
You print 'em up and I will throw money at you lickety split.

And more mummies, please.

Scott
04-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Howabout surfin' mummies?

Roderick
04-17-2013, 11:36 AM
That's the best kind!

Barry M
04-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Wet mummy bjs.

Scott
04-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Watch that search engine!

Roderick
04-18-2013, 11:27 AM
The Marshal Law hardcover collection FINALLY came out this week.

Paul L
04-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Finished a few new comic pages recently so I figured I'd shill 'em here: http://www-dreamsicle.blogspot.com/2013/04/dreamsicle-chapter-4-pages-14-18.html
Not much to say but: nice, Scott :)

Scott
04-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Thanks, Paul, 'ppreciate that.

Scott
04-18-2013, 07:32 PM
The Marshal Law hardcover collection FINALLY came out this week.

Saw it in the store. Looks nice.

Randy G
04-20-2013, 05:18 AM
Great stuff Scott, I wish I was a publisher so I could put your stuff out.

Scott
04-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Great stuff Scott, I wish I was a publisher so I could put your stuff out.

Thanks Randy, I wish you were a publisher too!

Scott
04-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Great article by Mark Evanier regarding the recently published biography of serial rapist Al Capp: http://www.newsfromme.com/2013/04/20/the-shame-of-dogpatch/

Andrew Monroe
04-22-2013, 12:26 PM
I love the obvious Aparo love in this cover for #2 of Image's Five Ghosts: The Haunting of Fabian Gray. It's a damn good read too.

http://cdn.bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Five-Ghosts-2.jpg

Edit - probably some Kubert worship there too.

Scott
04-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Hey, I got a tweeted by Scott McCloud!

http://i38.tinypic.com/aw3kuu.jpg

Barry M
04-25-2013, 08:13 AM
It's going to take a new edition to xplain how yr comics work.

Scott
04-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Misunderstanding Comix

Roderick
04-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Misunderstanding Mummiex

Ian Jane
04-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Edit - probably some Kubert worship there too.

Ha, you can see it in the signature!

Toyboy
04-25-2013, 10:23 PM
Hey, I got a tweeted by Scott McCloud!

http://i38.tinypic.com/aw3kuu.jpg

Dude! That's awesome!

I need to find that FIVE GHOSTS comic. Love that art. It's like John Buscema inked by Klaus Janson.

Clive Smith
04-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Very cool, Scott!

Matt - just seen the cover of Creepy #12. Your name next to Richard Corben et al. Zoinks!