PDA

View Full Version : RIP Jeff Hanneman

Ian Jane
05-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Shitty, shitty news.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1560534/slayer-guitarist-jeff-hanneman-dead-at-49

"Slayer guitarist and founding member Jeff Hanneman died earlier today of liver failure. He was 49.

"Slayer is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning near his Southern California home," the band's longtime publicist said in a statement. "Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure."

Hanneman co-founded the thrash metal greats with Kerry King in 1981; their breakthrough came in 1986 with the brutalist album "Reign in Blood." Hanneman wrote or co-wrote the set's standout tracks, "Angel of Death" and "Raining Blood.""

Zane C.
05-02-2013, 07:28 PM
This sucks. 2013 has been a bad, bad year for the music world so far.

RIP, Jeff. :(

Mark Tolch
05-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Holy shit, that sucks. Man. :(

Todd Jordan
05-02-2013, 09:14 PM
I played Megaman with him for about 10 minutes. He was very nice to me. Sad news...

Mark Tolch
05-02-2013, 09:22 PM
I played Megaman with him for about 10 minutes. He was very nice to me. Sad news...

Sounds like a good memorial anecdote. How'd that come about?

47lab
05-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Sad news indeed. I actually knew Tom's sister quite well but lost touch with her over the years.

Andrew Monroe
05-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Just heard the sad news this morning. He always seemed like the coolest member of the band to me.

Damn, he was just a year older than me...way way too young. RIP Jeff.

sukebanboy
05-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Metal guitarist Jeff Hanneman, founding member of rock band Slayer, has died at the age of 49.

A statement on the band's Facebook page said Hanneman died of liver failure in California on Thursday.

Since 2011, Hanneman had been suffering from necrotising fasciitis, a flesh-eating disease that he is believed to have contracted from a spider bite.

Crikey...a flesh eating disease!!!

49 ...another one gone FAR too young!!

Tom K
05-03-2013, 09:30 AM
This is devastating to me...I found out yesterday on my way home from work...soon as I got home, put Show No Mercy on repeat and drank heavily...

I think I was just at that right age when I discovered Slayer...I got Reign in Blood first and was blown away. Naturally I back tracked and picked up everything else they had. Till this day, Hell Awaits scares me when I put it on...lol...and it is my favorite album by them. Hanneman was a major influence on my playing and my writing.

I am not really much of fan of the newer stuff, but it has its place...My buddy Kam Lee said it perfectly last night that the metal scene didn't just lose a person, but a legacy...

RIP Jeff...

Scott MacDonald
05-03-2013, 10:14 AM
You mean Kam Lee formerly of Death, who himself is sort of a legend in his own right?

Todd Jordan
05-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Sounds like a good memorial anecdote. How'd that come about?

Not much to it really. In 1990 (I think) I got to go backstage at a Slayer/Testament concert for the college radio station I worked at. Was walking around and he was sitting in a room alone with a foot locker turned into a mobile NES/TV unit. I said hi to him and he sad "join me" so I did, and for about 10 minutes we swapped playing Megaman. Then I had to go interview Kerry King and made the experience less fun.

Then I partied all night with Testament on thier bus. Now THAT was fun.

Tom K
05-03-2013, 11:31 AM
You mean Kam Lee formerly of Death, who himself is sort of a legend in his own right?

Yep...he had a couple of cool stories relating to Slayer last night...I'm supposed to see him in a couple weeks...While he helped create death metal and despite what other people say about him, he is a very easy going dude...he speaks his mind, which leads to a lot of drama...but as long as I have known him, never had any problems or issues...and he doesn't look at himself as a legend, although I think he has earned that... :)

Scott MacDonald
05-03-2013, 12:17 PM
I grew up in the Tampa area, and spent much of my time in metal clubs like the Brass Mug and so on. Death were essentially the band that started that scene, and anyone involved in their inception is a legend in my eyes.

Paul Casey
05-03-2013, 10:14 PM
My brother texted me about this yesterday. Ruined my day. Watched Still Reigning and War at the Warfield while drinking wine out of a Slayer mug.

Mark Tolch
05-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the story, Todd.

Ian Jane
05-04-2013, 11:51 AM
My brother texted me about this yesterday. Ruined my day. Watched Still Reigning and War at the Warfield while drinking wine out of a Slayer mug.

I listened to Slayer pretty much all day at work yesterday. Co-workers just had to deal with it.

Ian Jane
10-08-2013, 09:54 AM
So in this loudwire (http://loudwire.com/exclusive-slayer-never-before-heard-jeff-hanneman-material-next-album/) interview, Tom says that there are two tracks featuring Hanneman's playing that will probably be on the next album.