PDA

View Full Version : John Holmes - Where to start?

Kevin S.
06-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Hey guys, new here. Im also new to collecting the golden age adult films.

I was wondering where a good place to start with John Holmes is? I noticed that After Hours Cinema released a bunch of his films on double/triple features. Are any of those good places to start?

Thanks!

Lalala76
06-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Hi Kevin. There are plenty of folks here that are knowledgable on such matters. Im sure you will get an answer soon. Is it John Holmes specifically? I only own one film featuring him. However if you are new to the collection of golden age, I cant recommend enough the new HD remasters from Distribpix. What better way to start than Barbara Broadcast due very soon, or Opening of misty Beethoven Neither of which feature John Holmes himself but they are top teir adult films from the golden age with transfers that match. Honestly.

Kevin S.
06-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Hi Kevin. There are plenty of folks here that are knowledgable on such matters. Im sure you will get an answer soon. Is it John Holmes specifically? I only own one film featuring him. However if you are new to the collection of golden age, I cant recommend enough the new HD remasters from Distribpix. What better way to start than Barbara Broadcast due very soon, or Opening of misty Beethoven Neither of which feature John Holmes himself but they are top teir adult films from the golden age with transfers that match. Honestly.

For now, Im mainly interested in Holmes flicks. Ive picked up quite a few adult classics over the past few months including some from Distribpix. Im also looking forward to the BARBARA BROADCAST release.

So far Ive picked up:

THE OPENING OF MISTY BEETHOVER (bluray)
THE PRIVATE AFTERNOONS OF PAMELA MANN
NAKED CAME THE STRANGER
THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS
CAFE FLESH
THE EROTIC MEMOIRS OF A MALE CHAUVINIST PIG
EXPECTACTIONS/CONFESSIONS
BABYFACE

Thats pretty much all I have for now. So any more suggestions would be appreciated, but I mainly started this thread because I was curious if the AHC releases of Holmes movies are any good.

Thanks for the reply!

s.chivers
06-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Although he remains one of the biggest names to this day, Holmes wasn't really in any outstanding films, at least not as the star. If you want Holmes in a good film, try The Graffenberg Spot, Autobiography of a Flea or Insatiable (I'm pretty sure he's in one of the final scenes). If your primary interest is in Holmes himself, maybe start with one of the Johnny Wadd films.

Lalala76
06-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Have a word with John Lyons on this forum.

Kevin S.
06-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Ok, so this may be off topic, but in general, what AHC releases are best? The only one I have so far is the new Phil Prince release (well...I havent gotten it in the mail yet). Im interested in the 70's/80's ones. Are there any that stand out more than the others?

Todd Jordan
06-25-2013, 08:35 PM
I would suggest searching the reviews here for some help. I know I've written some up with him in them. I just can't remember any titles right off that bat. I can't recall him ever seeing a movie with him in it and thinking "hey he's good in this", but he does crack me up in some of those old no-budget poke films.

Todd Jordan
06-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Check some of these out...

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/search.php?searchid=802815

Lalala76
06-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Autobiography of a flea is good if you like Victorian period settings. Its a bit of a weird un though and John Holmes plays a randy monk, albeit its a cameo role. The print from Mitchell bros is perfectly watchable.

Ashbee
06-26-2013, 10:12 AM
I have a soft spot for PIZZA GIRLS, and I really liked Holmes in it.

Jason C
06-26-2013, 10:28 AM
INSATIABLE is one of my favorites and his scene is pretty good.

Kevin S.
06-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Thanks guys, Ill check some of these out. Has anyone seen THE BOOB TUBE SHOW? I saw this on Amazon. Is this the actual movies, or is it done in some MST3K type way? Just wondering since it has a JOHNNY WADD film.

John Lyons
06-26-2013, 04:02 PM
The only AHC releases worth buying are their Carter Stevens and Joe Sarno, as they were done in conjunction with the directors and offer some very good extras.
Virtually everything else they've released has been sourced from tattered (and sometimes incomplete) release prints.

As for crucial Holmes starring vehicles, I've always had a soft spot for ERUPTION.
PIZZA GIRLS is good too (Bob Chinn is so underrated) but Holmes isn't really the star. Also, the VCX transfer is unauthorized and tape sourced.
Holmes also has a terrific small role in Jerry Abrams' CONFESSIONS OF A TEENAGE PEANUT BUTTER FREAK
AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A FLEA is really good, but Holmes isn't all that special in it.
All of the Johnny Wadd films starting with TELL THEM... are worth checking out.
He's also pretty great in Alan Colberg's ALL NIGHT LONG (though Rick Lutze upstages him, shocking as that may seem)

John Lyons
06-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Thanks guys, Ill check some of these out. Has anyone seen THE BOOB TUBE SHOW? I saw this on Amazon. Is this the actual movies, or is it done in some MST3K type way? Just wondering since it has a JOHNNY WADD film.

THE BOOB TUBE SHOW is all bootleg. The woman who owns most of the Wadd films has tried to C&D is.

Kevin S.
06-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the info John!
Am I correct in thinking that youll be releasing CONFESSIONS OF A TEENAGE PEANUTBUTTER FREAK?

Ashbee
06-27-2013, 10:40 AM
As for crucial Holmes starring vehicles, I've always had a soft spot for ERUPTION.

Totally forgot about this one. Definitely a must see.

Kevin S.
06-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Anyone know where I can find ERUPTION?

Ian Jane
06-27-2013, 12:35 PM
The Cal Vista DVD is still around. It's the only release that I know of.

John Lyons
06-27-2013, 01:49 PM
They are bugged, unfortunately.

vincent_z
09-22-2013, 12:53 AM
I put in a good word for "Girls On Fire" (1985). It was released theatrically by VCX. It is on film.

Robin Bougie
09-22-2013, 07:17 AM
Yeah, ERUPTION is something else. Gotta get that one. I liked GIRLS ON FIRE, too Vincent. Nice underrated one there. Must sees are EXHAUSTED, and SURRENDER IN PARADISE, and I'm kinda surprised no one has really sung the praises of the Johnny Wadd films yet.

If you're a newb, what you *really* should do is listen to this episode of the Rialto report with the interview with director Bob Chinn, and then track down the various John Holmes films he mentions. It's a great interview, and you'll learn a lot!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-rialto-report/id604741690

John Lyons
09-22-2013, 02:31 PM
SURRENDER IN PARADISE

I assume you mean PRISONER OF PARADISE?