PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Hong Kong action movies on DVD thread

Paul L
07-21-2013, 05:17 PM
I've been sorting through my DVDs over the past few weeks, and I've got a wacking great stack of Hong Kong action movies that I've picked up cheaply on DVD over the years - a number of them that I haven't watched yet.

I also unearthed my DVD copy of Wong Jing's THE LAST BLOOD, which - and I don't care what anyone says to the contrary - I absolutely love.

I thought it'd be nice to have a thread in which we can discuss matters relating to those HK action movies of the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s that we so adore. This might give me impetus to work the way through my whole collection of these things :biggrin:

Right now, I've got to decide between watching TIGER ON THE BEAT II (which I've only seen via naff VCD before, and which I recently bought on DVD via the Universe disc), THE RED PANTHER (which is a new 'un to me), FINGER ON THE TRIGGER and THE LAW WITH TWO PHASES. Any recommendations?

Ian Jane
07-21-2013, 05:51 PM
We just watched The Enforcer, the Jet Li movie from 1995, yesterday. The US DVD is dubbed and extra goofy for it and honestly I think the kid steals the show way more than Jet does but it's a fun, if pretty brainless, feature. I find Anita Mui more likeable than average in this movie for some reason. The same kid appeared in Legend of Shaolin with Jet Li too, which is kind of cool I guess.

Oddly enough, I have a pretty sizable stack of HK DVDs that I picked up cheap years back that I've never watched too. Oh, I watched plenty of them, but it's just that I bought so many that I didn't get around to everything.

Good idea for a thread.

Paul L
07-21-2013, 06:12 PM
We just watched The Enforcer, the Jet Li movie from 1995, yesterday. The US DVD is dubbed and extra goofy for it and honestly I think the kid steals the show way more than Jet does but it's a fun, if pretty brainless, feature. I find Anita Mui more likeable than average in this movie for some reason. The same kid appeared in Legend of Shaolin with Jet Li too, which is kind of cool I guess.
I like THE ENFORCER, Ian. It's a fun little flick. I've never seen the dubbed version though: the DVD I currently own is the Kam & Ronson disc, under the title MY FATHER IS A HERO.

My favourite Jet Li action picture of that period is probably THE MASTER. I keep returning to that one. It's lotsa fun. (Even the missus, who's not a huge fan of HK movies, enjoys that picture.) I also like HIGH RISK.

I'm currently archiving my HK VCDs, ripping them to my laptop and converting them to mp4 files - I've had all sorts of trouble trying to play them in my DVD player. Again, with those, I bought stacks of them cheaply, over the years, and haven't got round to watching many of them yet.

Paul L
07-21-2013, 06:38 PM
I'm halfway through THE RED PANTHER (teabreak!) and it's a wacky mess that oscillates between silly slapstick (the detective offers his mother a banana and she accidentally bites his finger) and grotesque, quite nasty violence. During an autopsy, the detective slaps the head of one of his subordinates for chewing gum, sending the young man face first into the gruesome exposed grue (exposed brain?) leaking out of the slashed skull of a murder victim. It's that kinda film :cuckoo:

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9211/mcg3.jpg

Le trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY-QsDX2tPU

The Silly Swede
07-21-2013, 07:22 PM
The Last Blood is insanely good!

my personal fave of the era though is The Big Heat, which goes way over the top with gruesome violence in a fairly straightforward cop Movie.

Robin Bougie
07-22-2013, 04:28 AM
Yeah, THE BIG HEAT is pretty underrated. Good call on that.

sukebanboy
07-22-2013, 08:35 AM
BIG HEAT is good!

I also like HIGH RISK...Wong Jings personal piss take of Jackie Chan apparently....More good stuff!

You cant go far wrong with a WONG JING flick in my book!:biggrin:

Ian Jane
07-22-2013, 09:34 AM
I remember the first time I saw High Risk not realizing it was intentionally digging at Chan and wondering why the guy in the movie was doing such a goofy Jackie Chan impersonation.

Once I figured out it was intentional it made more sense.

Paul L
07-22-2013, 12:17 PM
I'm halfway through THE RED PANTHER (teabreak!) and it's a wacky mess that oscillates between silly slapstick (the detective offers his mother a banana and she accidentally bites his finger) and grotesque, quite nasty violence. During an autopsy, the detective slaps the head of one of his subordinates for chewing gum, sending the young man face first into the gruesome exposed grue (exposed brain?) leaking out of the slashed skull of a murder victim. It's that kinda film :cuckoo:

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9211/mcg3.jpg
Having watched the whole film last night, it has to be said that THE RED PANTHER really has to be seen to be believed. A useless middle-aged detective - torn between his overbearing mother and his girlfriend, and who suffers from a posterior ulcer(!!) - is commissioned with the task of tracking down a serial killer who has been targeting people with various medical problems. One of the suspects is a medical student who works as a butcher by day and, by night, sneaks into the mortuary to remove the organs of the cadavers there, so as to use them as ingredients in the meats he sells on his family's market stall(!!) - of course, our wacky cop ends up devouring some of this offal.

Slapstick comedy is offset by fetishistic and often gruesome murder scenes, largely shot from the killer's point of view, that recall those of the 1970s thrilling all'italiana pictures.

I'd say this is a spoiler, but these things are so formulaic that the pleasure isn't in seeing what happens but rather how it's depicted. During the climax, the hero ends up being anaesthetised by the killer and wakes up in the hospital's morgue. He is chased through the hospital by the killer, an scalpel-wielding elderly woman(!!). He is spun around inside an industrial washing machine(!!) Then, whilst unconscious, the killer tries to operate on his posterior ulcer, but the cop wakes up and shoves a scalpel into the killer's brain. The - seemingly dead - killer than suddenly sits up and thrusts said scalpel into the arse of the cop, who runs around the room in a Benny Hill-stylee(!!) I kid you not.

I've discovered that the whole ending is up on Dailymotion. Enjoy!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqc1ax_the-red-panther-ending_shortfilms#.Ue1anVPwF7g

Anyone else seen this one?

Paul L
07-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Yesterday, I watched the Jet Li film HITMAN (released in the US as CONTRACT KILLER) for the first time. I bought the HKL DVD back when it was first released (in '99 or thereabouts, I reckon) but, for whatever reason, never got round to watching it - various house moves, etc, kept getting it hidden in storage.

It's not a bad little film. I liked Eric Tsang's role as the comic relief. The cast give it their all - Simon Yam is as deadpan as usual. (And doesn't he look young in the interview segments that are part of the DVD's extra features?) The narrative is fairly predictable and formulaic - but that's not too much of a problem as the action, for the most part, is nicely handled. However, I felt that in many of the dialogue scenes, the beats were all wrong - the rhythm of the editing in the non-action sequences seemed askew. Perhaps this perception had something to do with the weak (imo) score - maybe the reason why it was rescored in the US?

The US version, titled CONTRACT KILLER, is said to be six minutes shorter. Anyone know what's missing from that cut of the film?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4125MMYH8AL.jpg

Paul L
08-07-2013, 05:10 AM
I watched TIGER ON BEAT II the other day, via the Universe DVD. (I'd only seen this on VCD once before.) 'Mediocre' is probably the best word to describe it. There's some good action, but the whole thing is deeply misogynistic - and not in the entertaining way of so many HK flicks. Danny Lee and Conan Lee are likeable, but they don't have much chemistry here. The stunts are about the best thing here, including Conan Lee's nasty stunt-gone-wrong which landed him in the hospital (see the vid below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3Fkg97_ZXs

Plus the subtitles are a new level of madness, even for a HK flick. I began the film with the intention of transcribing the most amusing subtitles, but I gave up half way through the film because there are just so many. Favourites? 'What are you fucking, have you no eyes, have you gone blind?'; 'Don't argue in there, go out for any annoyment'; 'They want love but not aids, have you any?'; 'You are being charged, badly behaved in the public'; 'Beat no more, police, why are you beating others?'; 'My eyes are in holidays', and the insistence throughout the film that 'damned' is spelt 'dammed'. Curiously, there's also much use of the word 'fuck' in this film - which, in my experience, is quite unusual for HK films of this vintage, even the more extreme pictures. Can anyone think of any other HK films that use the word 'fuck' as much as this one?

sukebanboy
08-07-2013, 07:46 AM
TIGER ON THE BEAT 2...a personal fave for ALL teh reasons you listed there PAUL....

Jason C
08-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Sounds like I need to track that down.

Paul L
09-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Anyone care to comment on the sequels to THE LONG ARM OF THE LAW. I really like the first film (I've just bought it on Blu-ray, in fact) but have never bothered tracking these sequels down. Are they worth my time?

Paul L
07-01-2014, 07:29 AM
Today's watch is FINGERS ON TRIGGER (as the DVD case has it), or FINGERS ON THE TRIGGER (as the print has it), also known variously as FINGER ON TRIGGER, FINGERS ON TRIGGERS, FINGERS ON THE TRIGGERS and any variation thereof!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AAcP91HqaU0/T_AyifsOg0I/AAAAAAAADBM/O0486DFW6JU/s1600/Fingers+on+trigger.jpg

Anyone else seen this one?

Paul L
07-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Trying to fill some gaps in my collection, I've ordered a bundle of Joy Sales/Fortune Star discs that I don't own:

SEA WOLVES (aka IN THE LINE OF DUTY 7)
UNDERGROUND EXPRESS (aka LONG ARM OF THE LAW IV)
SWORN BROTHERS
KILLER'S NOCTURNE
HIRED GUNS

I also ordered LONG ARM OF THE LAW II and LONG ARM OF THE LAW III (LONG ARM OF THE LAW II is out on Blu now, but the cost of that was twice as much as the DVD releases of II and III combined, on DVD.

Some of these I've seen before (KILLER'S NOCTURNE). However, I've never seen any of the LONG ARM OF THE LAW films other than the first, and SEA WOLVES is new to me. (I wanted to get my hands on FORBIDDEN ARSENAL/IN THE LINE OF DUTY 6 too, but it's already near-impossible to get hold of.)

The Silly Swede
07-03-2014, 06:32 PM
So like, where do all you fine people buy your hong kong DVDs nowadays? And can I get in on the action? I have not bought HK-films for many years now.

Mark C.
07-03-2014, 09:05 PM
So like, where do all you fine people buy your hong kong DVDs nowadays? And can I get in on the action? I have not bought HK-films for many years now.

I buy mostly from DDDHOUSE.COM, sometimes on ebay too.

Paul L
07-04-2014, 02:45 AM
www.play-asia.com, www.dddhouse.com, global.yesasia.com (though they seem quite expensive these days), http://www.hmv.com.hk/ and there's a great seller on eBay called DVDRoad: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DVD-road

There was another very good eBay seller that I used to buy from a lot, but I think they've gone out of business.

sukebanboy
07-04-2014, 09:28 AM
DDD>HOUSE I used to use religiously about 10 years ago...Since I gave up the collecting I have ne call for these days.....but highly reputable , and cheap!!

Paul L
07-08-2014, 04:27 PM
FINGERS ON TRIGGER (Shan Pa, 1984)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZueBuR-NAw

I really enjoyed this one, known variously as "Finger on the Trigger", "Fingers on the Trigger", "Fingers on the Triggers", "Finger on Trigger", "Fingers on Triggers" and "Finger on Triggers" and any other variations you might think of. The confusing plethora of names probably hasn't helped its profile in English-speaking territories.

The plot revolves around an ex-policeman, Fan Kun (Stanley Fung), who has a son who needs urgent medical care. Fan Kun works as a hairdresser(! I'm guessing perceptions of male hairdressers in Hong Kong are radically different from the camp stereotype that predominates in the UK) but moonlights as a hired killer. (Fan Kun's role as a hairdresser raises all sorts of questions: how does one go from being a tough cop to a hairdresser?) On his trail is tough cop K K Lee (Melvin Wong Gam-Sam), who just happens to be Fan Kun's former mentee. (We are shown sepia-tinted flashbacks depicting Fan Kun teaching K K Lee how to shoot on the police department's firing range.)

There's the usual oddball comedy moments: in one sequence, one of the male hairdressers in the salon in which Fan Kun works gets overly excited whilst watching horse racing on television and shakes his client's head in excitement - it's a moment that seems to suggest some bizarre kind of sexual assault (frottage?) On K K Lee's team is the prerequisite comedy copper, in this film a chubby lad named 'Tiger' (with a denim jacket and a bum bag) who flirts with, and gets knocked back, by all the women he meets. (One of the women Tiger hits on inexplicably tells him, 'I'm an old man', which I'm assuming is a quirk of the subtitling.) K K Lee tells Tiger to shave his beard, and Tiger leads a lady journalist to believe that he is K K Lee, about whom the female journalist is writing an article. (This is a subplot that goes nowhere.)

There's a very odd sequence in which Fan Kun's toddler son Ah Kay sees some breakdancers on the street and joins them, before teaching his father how to moonwalk (I'll rip the chapter on the DVD and upload it at some point, just for giggles). There's also an utterly gratuitous shower scene, and subsequent sex scene, during which Fan Kun seduces Ah Kay's babysitter/nanny.

The moments in which Fan Kun and Ah Kay face off are reminiscent of the similar sequences (between Scott Plank and Alex McArthur) in Michael Mann's L.A. TAKEDOWN (and, of course, HEAT). There's also a copious use of Lalo Schifrin's score from DIRTY HARRY during several sequences.

Of course, when Fan Kun is doublecrossed, he and K K Lee team up to take on the real badguys. The ending is, as is typical for these HK action/noir films, utterly downbeat. It's a good film, worth tracking down.

SPOILER

Interestingly, the image gallery on the DVD suggests a different finale to the film. In the film, Fan Kun is killed by the film's chief villain. A deeply upset Ah Kay points a shotgun at the villain before being persuaded by K K Lee not to kill the man (in a few lines of dialogue bizarrely not subtitled in English), then after a brief pause during which it seems that the villain will escape unscathed, the young boy acquires a handgun and shoots the villain with it. The squibs on the villain (six or seven, which go off simultaneously) suggest a shotgun blast rather than a shot from a handgun; and sure enough, the image gallery clearly shows Ah Kay shooting the villain with the shotgun that he originally held. It makes me wonder if the ending as present on the DVD (which softens the violence somewhat, as K K Lee clearly attempts to persuade Ah Kay not to use the shotgun, leading to the boy putting it down) is an alternate ending prepared for release in a different market. (The squib effect seems to suggest, quite clearly, that the villain dies from a shotgun blast.)

The Silly Swede
07-08-2014, 07:36 PM
I feel I must see that film!

Paul L
07-23-2014, 03:42 AM
I feel I must see that film!
As a fellow LAST BLOOD fan, I think you'd like it, Chris :)

Recently, I revisited KILLER'S NOCTURNE (Nam Nai-Choi, 1987) via the Joy Sales DVD.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YpAskYPo9QA/T_A3ev59lyI/AAAAAAAADBo/ULim8JlBYus/s1600/Killer%27s+Nocturne+dvd.jpg

I hadn't seen this film since the early 1990s, when I saw what must have been a heavily cut VHS version. The film in its uncut version is ridiculously violent in places (one character gets his neck slashed by a broken LP - there's a level of absurdity that Nam Nai-Choi would escalate in the later STORY OF RICKY).

It's a period piece, set in Shanghai. Much of the action takes place in a nightclub that, in the subtitles is referred to as the Sleepless Night Club, but which is shown onscreen as being called the Endless Night. Yin (Alex Man), the owner, has returned to Shanghai having spent time in Japan; consequently, there's a suspicion towards his methods. He says he wants to bring the gambling bosses together, but in reality he wants to take over their businesses (quite violently - in an early, grisly, scene his men break the spine and strangle another man).

Fung (Siu-Ho Chin), the son of another gambling boss in Shanghai, becomes obsessed with Rachel (Pat Ha), a singer in Yin's club. Yin has a habit of playing Mahjong with his rivals; the loser, he says, must jump out the window of his office in the Endless Night, which is on the third storey. Using this method, Yin, who always wins Mahjong, facilitates the deaths of his rivals and takes over their business interests. After Yin dispatches Fung's father using this method, Fung seeks revenge. Sought by Yin, Fung goes on the run and bizarrely ends up working as a bareknuckle boxer - leading to a boxing match between Fung and a kangaroo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kj7jxjDdGQ

Eventually returning to Shanghai, having learnt Mahjong, Fung seeks a match against Yin, with the same rules (the loser must jump out of the third storey window).

The narrative is quite conventional until the bizarro sequence in which Fung goes underground as a bareknuckle fighter. It's punctuated by some extreme violence (chopped up bodies in trunks, hands being cut off, etc) and some very well-handled fight sequences that make effective use of Peckinpah-esque slomo (another trademark of the director). There's some great photography too: there's a very 'cool', detached aesthetic, and the compositions are largely symmetrical.

Paul L
08-01-2014, 08:29 AM
THE LAW WITH TWO PHASES (Danny Lee, 1984)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/539/YZcSuc.jpg (http://imageshack.com/f/ezYZcSucj)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpaBkUHAX_E

Unless I'm utterly mistaken, this was the first time that Danny 'The Man Who Plays Cops' Lee played a cop. It's an uneven film to begin with, but by the end of the picture I was in love with it.

Lee's cop from a distinctly proletarian background lives, with his ageing mother, amongst the low-life crooks he hunts. He shares a background with them. The conflict between the rival gangs, led by 'Blacky' and 'Apache', is interesting, though I felt that some subtle cultural inflections, in terms of the specific differences between these two gangs, were lost in translation - possibly due to the barely coherent subtitles.

There are some elements here that recur in subsequent Lee films: his character's tight white shots for one, and also his low level of literacy. (This is a running gag in FINAL JUSTICE, as I recall; what other Lee films does it appear in?)

There's a strong emphasis on humour as Lee's 'Chief B' shows the ropes to new cop on the block Kit (Eddie Chen), but the shit gets real when Lee's prime informer Druggy Shing (Tai Bo) is killed, and shortly after, during the pursuit of a gang member, Lee accidentally shoots (and, surprisingly, kills) a young boy of five or six. It's an utterly shocking moment that comes out of left-field. From then on, Lee must deal with the consequences of this mistake. The film takes a dark turn, leading to a downbeat conclusion - and there's no real comeuppance for the 'bad guys'.

This is an excellent little film.

Ian Jane
08-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Not familiar with this one - this was a DVD viewing, Paul?

Paul L
08-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Not familiar with this one - this was a DVD viewing, Paul?
Yep, Ian. It's available on DVD in the Joy Sales Legendary Collection: http://www.badpandashop.com/products/law-with-two-phases-1984-region-free-dvd-english-subtitled-legendary-collection

It's an anamorphic presentation which, like all of the Legendary Collection DVDs, is from a dated master, but it looks fine. Subs (English and Chinese - traditional and simplified) are optional. The subs are riddled with grammatical errors, but no more or less than the subs for many HK films of this vintage.

I think you'd like it. I've got Lee's THE LAW ENFORCER to watch too, when I have the time.

Ian Jane
08-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Thanks Paul! Interesting to see what he's charging at that site for the OOP Fortune Star and SB stuff, haha. Most of that stuff I picked up for half that price when it was new, but a lot of it is definitely getting tougher to find now.

Paul L
09-06-2016, 05:31 PM
It's been a few years since my last viewing, and I've got a strong desire to revisit THE LAST BLOOD. Blimey, I love that film :biggrin:

47lab
09-06-2016, 10:21 PM
It's been a few years since my last viewing, and I've got a strong desire to revisit THE LAST BLOOD. Blimey, I love that film :biggrin:
I might have to dig up my old dvd and check it out too. It sure brings back lots of memories both good and bad (looking at you, Eric Tsang!). I have the German dvd because it had an anamorphic picture plus a mono Cantonese mix. I seem to recall the Universe or was it Megastar only had a Mandarin mono soundtrack? Btw, Paul, do you know if the HK dvd is uncut? I know the PAL dvd was uncut.

The Silly Swede
09-07-2016, 01:23 PM
Actually watched the last Blood a month or so ago. That and The Big Heat are my rewatched hongkongers. The Big Heat might even be my all time fave HK-film!

47lab
09-07-2016, 10:08 PM
BIG HEAT is a badass movie for sure. I'm not really a fan of Waise Lee -- I dunno, something about him grates me the wrong way and usually he's just in a supporting role or secondary character anyway but he's a straight G in this. :clint:

DDD>HOUSE I used to use religiously about 10 years ago...Since I gave up the collecting I have ne call for these days.....but highly reputable , and cheap!!
hey man, since you stopped collecting...what did you do with your old dvds? you got any old OOP/rare shit from back in the day that you wanna trade or get rid of? hit me up with a PM if you're interested.

Paul L
09-08-2016, 04:51 AM
I might have to dig up my old dvd and check it out too. It sure brings back lots of memories both good and bad (looking at you, Eric Tsang!). I have the German dvd because it had an anamorphic picture plus a mono Cantonese mix. I seem to recall the Universe or was it Megastar only had a Mandarin mono soundtrack? Btw, Paul, do you know if the HK dvd is uncut? I know the PAL dvd was uncut.
I've got the Mega Star release, and as far as I can tell it's uncut (certainly not cut in comparison with the old UK VHS I had, which I believed to be uncut too), anamorphic and with both Cantonese and Mandarin audio options.

47lab
09-09-2016, 10:02 PM
Thanks Paul. Seems the only advantage to the German dvd is the mono soundtrack as opposed to the remix on the megastar.

47lab
09-15-2016, 02:04 AM
Caught a vintage HK action double header earlier. As mentioned, not a fan of Waise Lee but I'm even less of a fan of Michael Wong and both were in the first movie I watched which was Johnny Wang Lung-wei's FURY. Made around the same time as THE BIG HEAT and that is definitely the superior film but this had some nice action/gun play too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-40j6ltQoc

Then finished with David Lai's heroic bloodshed lite film, SWORN BROTHERS. It's pretty much your standard fare and nothing particularly sets it apart from all the other triad brotherhood films that came out during that era but it had some gritty violence and bloodshed on display. One scene is a straight rip off of SCARFACE when Andy Lau is on the receiving end of some ball peen hammer torture and the makeup effects are cringeworthy. If only Chin Ka-lok would've arrived a bit earlier with the molotov cocktails instead of making small talk with his mom. :funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRlvCXHpbPQ

Paul L
09-15-2016, 03:01 AM
FURY ain't bad. It's not great either, but it's a fun action picture with some good setpieces. I've not seen that one in a number of years; I should rewatch it when I get the chance.

SWORN BROTHERS is one that I own but I don't recollect having watched it. I shall dig it out and give it a spin when I have some free time.

47lab
09-17-2016, 06:54 PM
I decided to revisit David Chung's 1988, sci-fi crime caper action/comedy I LOVE MARIA after many years. I remember I used to love this flick back in the day and yep, it still holds up. It has everything I love about HK cinema of that era -- the mix of slapstick comedy, cheesy melodrama and great butt kicking action! These films had probably a tenth of the budget of similar Hollywood fare but for sheer entertainment value, I would choose I LOVE MARIA over ROBOCOP every time. :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRDmJP7Vdxw

Paul L
09-18-2016, 03:12 AM
I LOVE MARIA is another one I've not seen for a number of years, but it's a lot of fun. I think I've only got that picture on VCD; I should upgrade to the DVD, I guess.

47lab
09-20-2016, 03:31 AM
Paul, I have the Joy Sales dvd which I believe is OOP now but last I checked, the Universe version is still available on the used market for decent prices. Unfortunately, the Universe version is non-anamorphic and it has added surround effects.

I caught the CATIII rated Thailand based sex action flick, NAKED HUNTRESS aka HERO DREAM earlier. Starring the two Chins plus Michiko Nishiwaki and also has a (very) brief cameo by Sophia Crawford. Full frontal on display as befitting of its CATII rating but unfortunately, quite a few shots are of a bunch of shemales. :puke: The action is entertaining at times with some frenzied gun play and kung fu but overall, a disappointing mess of a film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKEWeCyMZes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C08tdXR6aM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-hOqdUs5d4

47lab
10-14-2016, 09:36 PM
Caught the Jackie Chan produced, Michael Mak directed 1992 robbery heist action flick, THE SHOOTOUT. Much to my chagrin, the title is very misleading as most of the movie is wasted on droll comedy, stupid gags & Aaron Kwok's budding relationship with the girlfriend of the leader of a gang of murderous armed robbers. The cast looks good on paper with Beardy, Lau Ching-wan, Elvis Tsui & the aforementioned baby faced Aaron Kwok (damn, he looks like he barely reached puberty here) but they are hamstrung by a shitty script and storyline. Some gritty action set pieces in the intro and finale but not enough to make up for the lame ass interlude. You know the cast is mailing it in for a paycheck when the most interesting character onscreen is one of the armed robbers played by Kingdom Yuen. :howyoudoin: Also, had a laugh at the very un-PC dialogue throughout -- doubt they can get away with all that talk about AIDS and Africans these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Mid5Mg1Xc

47lab
10-16-2016, 03:20 AM
Speaking of politically incorrect HK action films, I caught Frankie Chan's (directed, produced and wrote the screenplay) 1988 flick, THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE BEAUTY earlier. Another of those mashup genre busting buddy cop movies with Kent Cheng & Frankie Chan as the "odd couple" cop roomies . Some really goofball comedy along with some pretty graphic violence (point blank gunshots to head, brains blown out, half burnt corpse, speargun impalement, etc). Cherie Chung as the diamond smuggling stewardess is the eye candy and the object of Kent Cheng's affections. The gweilos cast in this are freaking hilarious especially the two black hired guns on the beach. :funny: Their dialogue basically consisted of the most stereotypical jive talk and of course, they could't contain themselves and were set to rape poor Cherie before Frankie arrives on the scene to rescue her. The subtitles on the Joy Sales DVD actually translated Frankie as saying "I'll take care of these niggers." :rolling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tOtL8M-Ck0

47lab
12-20-2016, 06:35 PM
I recently watched RED LIPS aka HER VENGEANCE, directed by veteran Shaw Brothers actor, Fan Dan. It's a womens' "heroic bloodshed" revenge actioner with two separate story lines involving Dick Wei as an ambitious back stabbing triad gangster who murders Kara Hui's "foster father" and another with Philip Ko as low level pimp who brutalizes mainland refugee, Ngai Suet. Some decent action on display especially with 'tomboy' Kara Hui involved in both gunfu and traditional hand to hand butt kicking action. She's always been one of my favorites among the pantheon of women martial arts actresses. She had to be over 30 at the time of the filming but she can pass for a teenager -- the wonders of youthful Asian skin. Ngai Suet's revenge plot is less action oriented than Kara's but you can't help root for Philip Ko to get his comeuppance at her hands at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K21L6V7pr1U

47lab
02-26-2017, 12:15 AM
Not really an action film, although it does contain scenes of brutality and violence (particularly the gas station scene) but more of a gritty disenfranchised youth flick -- I recently pulled out the Joy Sales dvd of Yim Ho's 1980 movie, THE HAPPENINGS (http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTkzNzUwOTU2.html?x) & gave it a re-watch. I remember liking it a lot more during my initial viewing and now it seems a bit uneven and amateurish at times and it's certainly not on the level of DANGEROUS ENCOUNTERS OF THE FIRST KIND or anything but it still has a very raw and dark appeal that makes for some compelling viewing in the end.

Paul L
02-26-2017, 07:18 AM
Not really an action film, although it does contain scenes of brutality and violence (particularly the gas station scene) but more of a gritty disenfranchised youth flick -- I recently pulled out the Joy Sales dvd of Yim Ho's 1980 movie, THE HAPPENINGS (http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTkzNzUwOTU2.html?x) & gave it a re-watch. I remember liking it a lot more during my initial viewing and now it seems a bit uneven and amateurish at times and it's certainly not on the level of DANGEROUS ENCOUNTERS OF THE FIRST KIND or anything but it still has a very raw and dark appeal that makes for some compelling viewing in the end.
I don't think I've seen THE HAPPENINGS, 47lab. I found an interesting article about the film on the South China Morning Post website: http://www.scmp.com/magazines/48hrs/article/1245190/art-house-happenings-raw-look-1970s-hong-kong If the Joy Sales DVD can still be bought, I may order a copy for myself and give it a watch.

47lab
02-26-2017, 12:21 PM
Paul L, I believe the Joy Sales is OOP now (even Bad Panda no longer has a copy for sale) but used copies of both the VCD/DVD show up on eBay and Amazon marketplace. I'll let you know if I come across one for sale.

Paul L
02-26-2017, 05:35 PM
Paul L, I believe the Joy Sales is OOP now (even Bad Panda no longer has a copy for sale) but used copies of both the VCD/DVD show up on eBay and Amazon marketplace. I'll let you know if I come across one for sale.

Thanks, 47lab. I'll keep my eyes open for a second hand copy.

SuperDevilDoctor
02-27-2017, 10:23 AM
Not a tremendous fanboy of martial arts films in general, but I do enjoy a good "old school" kung fu flick now and then...

One of my favorites is the Shaw Bros. production THE DRAGON MISSILE (1976), starring Lieh Lo.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074521/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I like the fact that the main character is actually the villain... although he's just a badass guy who's doing the job he's being paid to do -- he's actually conflicted about the orders given to him by his evil boss, a provincial governor. Killer magical boomerangs and an elixir that can cure skin cancer figure in the plot.

The El Rey network shows this one a lot, but as far as I can tell it never got a North American DVD release... Am I right about that?

EDIT: Holy shit! Just noticed... It's available for streaming on Amazon Prime! (Would still love a good DVD or Blu-ray release.)

47lab
02-28-2017, 12:22 AM
Nope, it never got a R1 release but the IVL R3 is readily available on the used market. Been ages since I've watched it but yeah, the boomerangs were cool and so were the effects. I recall the decapitation scene with I think it was Fan Mei-sheng and how cheesy the effects were haha -- not MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE in the teahouse cheesy but close.