PDA

View Full Version : The Sword Of Doom (1966) - I need more films like this!

Wllm Clys
08-11-2013, 12:01 PM
I bought the Criterion DVD of 'The Sword Of Doom' a couple of months ago and I finally got around to watching it. Nevermind the plotholes, some parts of this film really blew me away, especially that ending.

Are there any more 60s samurai films that are as cynical, nihilistic and violent as this one? I'm planning on checking out Samurai Assassin, Harakiri, ...

Thanks in advance!

Paul L
08-11-2013, 04:55 PM
I watched SWORD OF DOOM a few years ago, after buying the Criterion DVD when it was released and letting it sit on my shelf unwatched for a couple of years. I think it pretty much stands alone, although I'd say Kobayashi's HARA-KIRI is almost equally as bleak. You'll probably enjoy that one very much. Kobayashi's SAMURAI REBELLION is also worth watching, as it's on a similar level. Tomo Uchida's A BLOODY SPEAR ON MOUNT FUJI, made in 1955, is also worth tracking down - it deftly juxtaposes comedy with tragedy.

Ian Jane
08-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Hara-Kiri is the one I came in here to post about but Paul beat me to it. Sword Of The Beast might work for you too.

Derrick King
08-12-2013, 05:00 PM
YOJIMBO is pretty cynical.

Ian Jane
08-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Check out Kwaiden too if you haven't already, it's a pretty cool mix of samurai cinema and more traditional Japanese horror elements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG5mvupo9Wc

Wllm Clys
08-15-2013, 03:10 AM
I recently bought some of these on DVD: Rebel Samurai box (Criterion) and Hara-Kiri (DVD/Blu). I bought Kwaidan last year but I never got around to watching it.
Thanks for the recommendations. Keep 'em coming!

Derrick King
08-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Gosha's Goyokin is also worth checking out. (His Three Outlaw Samurai is a pretty fun movie, but it isn't really that violent or nihilistic.)

The ultimate cynical and nihilistic samurai movie: Kurosawa's RAN.

Miike's Izo fits what you are asking for, but it isn't a straight samurai film and it is pretty divisive.

If you want cynical, nihilistic and violent movies, you might want to check out some Yakuza films:
Fukasaku's Battles Without Honor or Humanity series, Street Mobster, and Graveyard without Honor
Suzuki's Branded to Kill
Shinoda's Pale Flower

Wllm Clys
09-25-2013, 07:10 AM
I read that Samurai Assassin is very good. So I'll definitely buy that one too.