PDA

View Full Version : 'New' JD Salinger Books Coming In 2014?

Ian Jane
08-25-2013, 06:38 PM
This is kind of awesome.... (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/25/new-jd-salinger-books-_n_3813081.html?ref=topbar)

"The authors of a new J.D. Salinger biography are claiming they have cracked one of publishing's greatest mysteries: What "The Catcher in the Rye" novelist was working on during the last half century of his life.

Starting between 2015 and 2020, a series of posthumous Salinger releases are planned, according to "Salinger," co-written by David Shields and Shane Salerno and scheduled to be published Sept. 3. The Associated Press obtained an early copy. Salerno's documentary on the author opens Sept. 6. In January, it will air on PBS as an installment of "American Masters."

Providing by far the most detailed report of previously unreleased material, the book's authors cite "two independent and separate sources" who they say have "documented and verified" the information.

One of the Salinger books would center on "Catcher" protagonist Holden Caulfield and his family, including a revised version of an early, unpublished story "The Last and Best of the Peter Pans." Other volumes would draw on Salinger's World War II years and his immersion in Eastern religion."

Much more at the link. Catch In The Rye was one of those right place, right time books for me. It means a lot to me. Cool to see more Salinger heading our way...

Mark Tolch
08-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Yeah, Catcher was definitely the same for me. I didn't feel the connection to his other work that I did to that one. It'll be interesting to check these out.

Ian Jane
08-26-2013, 08:37 AM
Yeah, same here, the other stuff didn't realy connect with me the same way but I'm still interested in seeing what comes out of this. I remember not wanting to reac Catcher beceause it was an assigned book in high school but obviously wound up loving it.

Newt Cox
08-28-2013, 01:02 AM
Catcher was on the banned list at my high school. I didn't try reading it till I was almost 30, and never finished it. Felt like something I would have loved as a teen.

Mark Tolch
08-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Banned....haha. F-Word strikes again.

Andrew Monroe
08-28-2013, 08:39 AM
I thought Franny and Zooey was almost as good as Catcher way back when I read them and yes, both made a big impression on me. But I'm not sure I'm all that interested in this stuff. For better or worse (probably way more the latter), I'm so far removed from the person those books massively impacted...have to see once the books are out.