PDA

View Full Version : Mary & Max

Ian Jane
01-21-2011, 03:14 PM
We watchied this Aussie stop motion deal last night and both came away suitably impressed. Dark, twisted, funny, touching - all those things a good animated feature (or live action too, for that matter but somehow animation seems to evoke more of a response with some people) can and should be without feeling forced or corny.

Gorgeous transfer on the Blu-ray, I geeked out over all the detail. Hoffman's voice work is amazing here. Neat extras. Overall a really great package. Full review soon with screen caps but I was curious if anyone else had checked it out.

Mark Tolch
01-21-2011, 03:24 PM
I've got it in my review pile for Maniacs, but haven't watched it yet. Glad to hear that it's worth checking out. Hey, here's a question fro you...is it kid-friendly, or no?

Ian Jane
01-21-2011, 04:41 PM
It's PG-13 level stuff. Your kid would be fine with it.

Alison Jane
01-22-2011, 09:53 AM
I loved it. Even though it's not horribly offensive (sex is discussed in innocent kidspeak and anatomically incorrect drawings are shown), don't know that kids would enjoy it really. As Ian said, the detail is amazing, even before it started I was impressed by the menu screen. As someone familiar with Aspergers, it's nice to see such a sweet, genuine approach to the personalities of these people. I also like that Max is completely aware of who and what he is and is completely content with the person he is. He says something like "I don't see myself as disabled, I'm just Max." I loved it from start to finish and can see myself watching this again and again.

Ian Jane
01-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Geek out to big ass screen caps (http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/content.php?671-Mary-Max)!