PDA

View Full Version : New Deadworld Series In The Works - Restoration

Ian Jane
10-28-2013, 03:28 PM
This series hasn't been the same since the early Vince Locke days, but damn those were rad comics at the time.

Series creator Gary Reed is bringing it back (again) with a new mini series for IDW.

"The lepers have been slaughtered, the people who escaped the breeder pits head for the safety of New Washington, and now the zombies are under the control of Donna, the half-human/half-zombie hybrid. With King Zombie dead, Donna is the leader of the zombies... or is she?"

More info and some preview pages at the Deadworld site here (http://deadworldcomic.blogspot.com/).

Ian Jane
11-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Interview with Gary Reed at CBR (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48974) today about the new series.

"Well, I've never read the comics but have caught some of the TV show. My general impression of the show is that it's a little slow but it seems pretty interesting. I actually get asked a lot about it not just because of the zombie worlds but because the events that I've seen in "Walking Dead" are very similar to a lot of stuff that happened in the original "Deadworld" series. I mean, I don't want to be that guy that screams "rip-off" like so many others, but there are a number of similarities... the guy with the hand cut off and blade attached, the sword wielding female with chained up followers, a wife named Laura and a son named Carl, a religious family that seems unaffected by zombies, these are just some. I really don't think about it too much unless someone asks and I do get lots of advice from many people about going after them. I don't really think about it as I'm so busy and I have to determine if I should think about it more. The current "Deadworld" storylines are so far removed that it's hard to look way back in the past. I guess I need to give it some more thought and actually explore it in more detail about any kind of connection."

Scott
11-08-2013, 07:37 PM
It's funny because when WALKING DEAD appeared the first thought I had was DEADWORLD. But it's all drawing from the same well. He can sue the Walking Dead folks and George Romero can sue them can't he? I guess he has a case with all the specifics but none of this strikes me as original ideas, which is why the success of Walking Dead surprises me even more. It's only new to people who haven't seen any old zombie movies.

I did like DEADWORLD back in the day though, but at this point that can be mostly attributed to it being the only zombie apocalypse comic being produced then. Now it's ubiquitous.

Ian Jane
11-08-2013, 08:45 PM
You're definitely write, but I think you could make the case that there are more similarities between Deadworld and The Walking Dead than there are between Romero's movies and Deadworld. But they do definitely all come from the same place.

I loved Deadworld back in the day. Still like the early Locke issues a lot. I remember hunting down the gore variants, some of them had cool James O'Barr covers. I still have a lot of those in a long box in my closet.

Scott
11-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Sometimes it's just a coincidence, Laura and Carl are regular names. It reminds me of Charles Band claiming Harry Potter with TROLL. "A guy with his hand cut off." So did he rip off THE EVIL DEAD? It's too easy to look for similarities, you're always bound to draw parallels and find something. But who knows maybe they did rip it off.

Now if it's something like the LION KING and you did was change Kimba to Simba then I would say it's a ripoff.

Scott
11-08-2013, 09:14 PM
Actually the idea of King Zombie from DEADWORLD predates Romero's LAND's Big Daddy so maybe a case could be made for them suing Goerge. lol. Get his 5 dollars.

Ian Jane
11-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Actually the idea of King Zombie from DEADWORLD predates Romero's LAND's Big Daddy so maybe a case could be made for them suing Goerge. lol. Get his 5 dollars.

Haha, exactly, but you're right, there are a lot of similarities. Maybe Gary was more of a groundbreaker in terms of where zombie stories would go than we give him credit for!

I still wanna see Vincent Locke back on a Deadworld series though.

Ian Jane
11-10-2013, 02:47 PM
I just dusted this guy off...

Some of the characters aren't as well written as they seemed when I was younger but Locke's art still holds up and it's gory as shit. It's a fun book. Ahead of its time as far as where horror comics were in the 80s (which outside of Faust, wasn't much).