PDA

View Full Version : The CaseNegra Poll

Richard--W
11-02-2013, 07:32 PM
CasaNegra was a class act during the short time they lasted. They were responsible for near-pristine transfers of nearly-impossible-to-restore Mexican films. Each disc was supplemented and supported by a website that gave the history and context of genre films in Mexico.

It's hard to choose, but which CasaNegra release did you like the most?

8527 8531

8526 8528

8529 8530

Paul L
11-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Poll's not active yet, but I bought all of these upon release; and I have to say that my favourite of the films was probably THE MAN AND THE MONSTER or maybe THE BLACK PIT OF DR M. On the other hand, my favourite of their DVD releases was probably THE VAMPIRE COLLECTION, which was a great all-round package.

I've voted for MAN AND THE MONSTER as my favourite of the films.

They're sadly missed, at least in my house.

Richard--W
11-02-2013, 08:06 PM
I can't fault any of their releases.

The Black Pit of Dr. M is so far out there.

World of the Vampires (1960), The Living Head (1961) and one other CasaNegra restoration were released in France by another company. No English-friendly options as I recall.

bgart13
11-02-2013, 09:54 PM
THE BRAINIAC is my favorite. That's not saying the others aren't well done, but it's a classic that I adore.

Scott
11-02-2013, 10:15 PM
I didn't realize MAN MADE MONSTER was held in such high esteem. I still haven't seen that or LIVING COFFIN. One of these days I need to scrounge up some money for those.

I love the opening of BRAINIAC.
BRAINIAC, CRYING WOMAN, BLACK PIT and WITCHES MIRROR blew me away. The VAMPIRE COLLECTION was good too but the others were amazing. The packages were great all around, very classy.

Gary Banks
11-03-2013, 09:32 AM
I can't fault any of their releases.

That about sums it up for me although I haven't seen the first three releases on the list. Hell I think that even THE LIVING COFFIN has some wonderful moody moments even though Scooby Doo sort of shows up at the end!

If I want to spin a movie that really has no boundaries and is highly entertaining THE BRAINIAC would be the choice. For a straight out creeper I'd go with BLACK PIT, MIRROR or VAMPIRO in that order. The only one of the releases I've found to be a bit dull is Crying Woman. The pulling out of the stake is so protracted it borders on hysterical as does the fight scene at the end. A little trimming would have made it better for me.

BLACK PIT gets the vote.

Ian Jane
11-03-2013, 09:52 AM
I'm gonna move this to international and cast my vote for Brainiac. But honestly, I love every one of the Casa Negra discs I have.

Andrew Monroe
11-04-2013, 09:45 AM
I've been planning on revisiting all the Casa Negra dvds soon, so this is perfect timing. I'm voting for BLACK PIT OF DR. M, but I've enjoyed all of them to one extent or another. A real shame they weren't able to get to WORLD OF THE VAMPIRES and the others they had in the pipeline.

John Bernhard
11-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Love them too...voting for BRAINIAC.

Diabolik still has 1 or 2 copies of 4 Casa Negra titles available if anyone needs em.
( brainiac, black pit, living coffin + man & the monster )

Clive Smith
11-09-2013, 03:38 PM
BLACK PIT OF DR M for me too; just watched it again in fact. Gary, noticed your credit for supplying the English dub script - nice work!

John Bernhard
11-28-2014, 11:16 AM
If anyone is looking for CasaNegra to fill holes ( or start a collection ) 5 of them can be had dirt cheep @ Hamilton Books.
I just ordered some to give as gifts....possibly at a work gift swap :)
BRAINIAC is a paltry $2.95.
$3.95 will get you BLACK PIT OF DR M, WITCH'S MIRROR, LIVING COFFIN, & MAN AND THE MONSTER.

Ian Miller
11-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Thanks to your post on Latarnia I just ordered the BRAINIAC disc, thanks for the (rubber, inflatable) heads-up!