PDA

View Full Version : Good Home Movie Video editing software

sukebanboy
11-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Anyone know any?

Dont need professional level software,,....

Just editing /trimming, add effects, add music ...just basic stuff...

Was using SONY Picture Motion Browser....but the trimming function suddenly stopped working....downloaded updates and STILL nothing!!!

Any help gladly appreciated

Ian Jane
11-11-2013, 10:36 AM
You could maybe get away with using Adobe Premiere Elements if you only need the light version.

I'm considering switching to this from the clunky software that came with my camera.

sukebanboy
11-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Yeah...would love to get into some proper editing software and spend a good bit of time learning and refining the process......but to be perfectly honest, i dont have the patience or concentration to sit through manuals and tutorials to learn each part and learn how to gently tweak something to gradually improve stuff....

Just the simple quick and easy is best for me...and CHEAP if possible!!!LOL!!

Mark Tolch
11-11-2013, 12:13 PM
I think that Ian's got it right with Premiere Elements. It's cheap(er) and pretty basic, but has some cool features.

Dom D
11-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Mac or PC? Because I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with iMovie or Windows Movie Maker. They both get the job done and shouldn't take long to pick up and actually iMovie is pretty much the same interface as Apples pro Final Cut X that's getting popular (though I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole myself).

But you know what, the pro software is not hard to learn. Adobe Premiere Elements is Premiere missing a few features. Mostly export options you'd never touch. I believe the interface is identical. So the learning curve is the same. I've never used Edius Neo but I presume it's to Edius as Elements is to Premiere and Edius kills Premiere on every level. I actually fiind the pro software a million times easier to use than the amatuer versions like imovie and WMM. For instance in amatuer versions you only have a single playback window which means you have to flip back and forth between the source and record windows. In pro software you've just got two windows sitting there ready to work. Bliss! Amatuer software definitely makes your job harder and is no easier to learn because you're still making you computer do the same things.

To be honest I've pirated my first copy of every major piece of software I've later invested to learn it. Because these things have wierd quirks that you wont necessarily pick up on a trial. I figure they don't mind because would no doubt rather I pirated Premiere than FCP because I'll wind up buying it eventually. So I don't know, I don't want to suggest piracy, but you could download say, Edius, and show them some love later in life when you are a cashed up billionare.

sukebanboy
11-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the replies guys....

DOM....I think I am slightly overawed by the professional level software...I see the thick manuals and multi functions and just presume they take a masters-degree level of studying before you are even competent with them!!!

I MOVIE and WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER are pretty simple to use...but, like you say, a bit restrictive in what you do.....I think Ian and Mark have suggested something in the middle ground somewhere,,,,so maybe that is a good place to start..

The level of direction /composition on my stuff is so low that I doubt ANY software could make it watchable anyway!!!:biggrin:...would love to have the time/energy/enthusiasm to improve it!!!

As for the piracy question..DOM you are pretty much using my philosophy on it...I consider most things a TRIAL OFFER..then if I am impressed I buy the thing...Not the most ethical approach...but better than SOME I could mention!!!

Always scared a bit of downloaded software will....
1. Not work
2. Stuff up my computer!

Just too much stuff out there!

Dom D
11-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Sure but like I said, if you are learning Elements you are learning professional software. It is Premiere, just missing a few functions so it has the same instruction manuals- which you wont need to read. it's a good option.

Don't be intimidated by the programs though. They are super easy. I taught myself to use Final Cut Pro (RIP) back in the day in a couple hours but it doesn't need to take that long.
I could write a primer on how to use any of them and it wouldn't take more than a couple hundred words to get cutting.

Ignatius
11-12-2013, 08:16 AM
I've found Pinnacle Studio to be a good tool for basic tinkering, certainly up to the point of getting a picture lock. I would use various other programs (such as Premiere) for sound mixing and final tweaks but Pinnacle is good for putting something together with a minimum of hassle and learning curve. Mind you, I haven't used it for a couple of versions now so I can't comment on the latest revision, but around Studio 12 it was still nicely streamlined and accepted the lossless codecs I used.